Whats with the stars on tops

rudi must stay

Aberdeen got one for a glorified friendly and embarrass themselves by having it on their shirts.

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Do you only get them if you've won a European trophy?

No. Bundesliga clubs have stars depending on league titles won, for example. 

1 minute ago, leginten said:

Aberdeen got one for a glorified friendly and embarrass themselves by having it on their shirts.

True.

Even if we won the Champions League I wouldn't want a star above the Heart of Midlothian.

🌟 are for kids jotters.

Aberdeen's 2 is bad enough but Rangers' 5 is indecent.

manaliveits105

It's a complete embarrassment that the sheep put 2 stars on their strip never having won the European Cup or Champions League whilst multiple winners like Real don't even bother 

1 minute ago, martoon said:

True.

Even if we won the Champions League I wouldn't want a star above the Heart of Midlothian.

🌟 are for kids jotters.

I‘ve always wondered if there’s any other club in Europe small-time enough to celebrate the Supercup friendly victory on their shirts. I’m guessing just the sheep molesters.

ToadKiller Dog

It's a ridiculous thing to do very tacky  ,the Orc 5 stars more so than the daft sheep 2 stars .

jamboinglasgow

Always thought Aberdeen's second star for the Super cup was a bit much. It is an achievement but putting a star up for winning a competition which only has two teams is silly.

Aberdeen’s are cringy af. Rangers have 5 stars to represent 50 league titles I think. Makes no sense really. They’ve just made it up. Even sadder when their moronic fans got 5 star tattoos at the same time. 

Shanks said no

I think Milan started the 10 titles = 1 star trend back in the late 1970's. Italian champions also had the national flag on tops the season after they won it.

I thought the huns had ditched their 5 stars this season. Just checked, no more stars there now. Probably due to their green brothers in arms nearing 50 league titles 

Edited by XB52

Silvery_Moon

Yep. Fair play to Aberdeen for the Cup Winners Cup and if they want to put a star for that then good luck to them. As others have said though, a second star for a friendly match is a joke.

Edited by Silvery_Moon

gordon simpson

thank **** you do not get one for beating your local rivals or strips would look like a North Korean Generals uniform 

LarrysRightFoot

As others have said stars typically represent a European Cup/Champions League win or multiples of 10 league titles (I.e. 10 titles = 1 star). 

Jack Torrance
5 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

thank **** you do not get one for beating your local rivals or strips would look like a North Korean Generals uniform 

Great idea! We should release a FOH strip with a star for each Derby win. 😆

I actually love the idea behind it but there should have been rules from the start indicating what qualifies you for a star.

Des Lynam

If we ever win a European trophy I’d want it emblazoned across our jersey till the end of time. 

It was an incredible achievement by Aberdeen and I don’t begrudge them putting stars on their jersey. 

3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

If we ever win a European trophy I’d want it emblazoned across our jersey till the end of time. 

It was an incredible achievement by Aberdeen and I don’t begrudge them putting stars on their jersey. 

If Hearts next year ended up in the Europa Conference League and went on a magic run to winning the Junior Junior European cup, I'd prance around like Hearts won Champions League. 

If you can't celebrate being Bayern Munich and Real Madrid, what can you celebrate?

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, martoon said:

True.

🌟 are for kids jotters.

It was the real rangers that had any success in Europe for a new team to buy their endeavours is really quite crass and for EUFA and the SFA to go along with it is criminal 

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Aberdeen’s are cringy af. Rangers have 5 stars to represent 50 league titles I think. Makes no sense really. They’ve just made it up. Even sadder when their moronic fans got 5 star tattoos at the same time. 

Not since they were founded in 2012 they haven't.

PaddysBar
23 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

We have, the white 3rd strip😀

dannymack
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Do you only get them if you've won a European trophy?

Aberdeen have 2 stars and quite rightly so for their fantastic achievement of winning the European Cup Winners Cup and the Super Cup. 

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Hibs should have a Jobby above their badge.

Proper guffawed at that mate 😄

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, gordon simpson said:

🤣

Mikey1874

Hibs should have one for first Scottish side to play in Europe and maybe one for the floodlights too. 

Hectormasson
2 hours ago, Chaps said:

We should have 2 for the festival cup.

5️for 5-1   fth🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

Fort Vallance
5 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

It's a complete embarrassment that the sheep put 2 stars on their strip never having won the European Cup or Champions League whilst multiple winners like Real don't even bother 

Form is temporary as they say but class is permanent. 

Fort Vallance
4 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

That's quality.

4 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

:groundhog:

queensferryjambo
5 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

I think Milan started the 10 titles = 1 star trend back in the late 1970's. Italian champions also had the national flag on tops the season after they won it.

Italian football definitely started it. A gold star meant 10 league titles and a silver star meant 10 cup wins.

When you used to buy Italian club shirts in the 80s and 90s some used to come with either a sew on crest or bullseye target with the Italian colours, pretty sure that meant they were the league or cup holders from the previous season. 

Toxteth O'Grady
5 hours ago, Jack Torrance said:

The Milky Way strip 

allystrachan
43 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Italian football definitely started it. A gold star meant 10 league titles and a silver star meant 10 cup wins.

When you used to buy Italian club shirts in the 80s and 90s some used to come with either a sew on crest or bullseye target with the Italian colours, pretty sure that meant they were the league or cup holders from the previous season. 

Always thought the target was for the current league holders. 

I like that idea. Be pointless in Scotland because hardly any other teams would get it. Imagine the sales of the St Johnstone tops with two cups on it though. 

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Chaps said:

We should have 2 for the festival cup.

Compliment it with another couple for the Tennent's Sixes. Those carry more weight than a continental version of the Community/Charity Shield. 

queensferryjambo
37 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Always thought the target was for the current league holders. 

No the shield in Italian colours means you won the league and the bullseye target means you won the cup. 

The shield is the symbol of the scudetto and the target is the symbol of Coppa Italia.

Nice wee explanation taken from the wiki page for the Coppa Italia - 

image.thumb.png.31622badee5d1d543dcccb0584246ede.png

This from the Italian Champions wiki page - 

image.thumb.png.24dcc8db56f9942682aa19b9f4e06640.png

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, dannymack said:

Aberdeen have 2 stars and quite rightly so for their fantastic achievement of winning the European Cup Winners Cup and the Super Cup. 

Agreed.

I thought the 2 stars was for their 2  premier league titles.....🤷‍♂️....maybe wrong though.

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hibs should have one for first Scottish side to play in Europe and maybe one for the floodlights too. 

Three stars. You've left out their groundbreaking shirt sponsorship deal😀

WheatfieldWarrior

I guess some clubs add them to commemorate things they have won - Italians are consistent - only 3 sides with 10 or more titles with Inter and ac both on 19 wins so next one to win a title gets their second star first. inter currently lead seria A.

Bonnyrigg Rose - first 2 starts are for Scottish Junior Cups, remainder probably for EoS Superleague titles - pictured in 2019 - they've reset since becoming a spfl club based on recent kits.

Screenshot2024-02-06235446.png.71418ccf5f2d9554dbce2bc994f1a6d6.png

8 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Exactly.  A little bit of jealously going on in this thread. 

Small time?  Where about? 

allystrachan
2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

No the shield in Italian colours means you won the league and the bullseye target means you won the cup. 

The shield is the symbol of the scudetto and the target is the symbol of Coppa Italia.

Nice wee explanation taken from the wiki page for the Coppa Italia - 

image.thumb.png.31622badee5d1d543dcccb0584246ede.png

This from the Italian Champions wiki page - 

image.thumb.png.24dcc8db56f9942682aa19b9f4e06640.png

Nice one. Thanks for explaining. Buffon’s top does look a bit daft with the club badge, adidas badge, stars, shield & target. 

We should bring it in just to see the rage from Celtic fans having a Saltire shield on their tops. 

mbingcrosby

Clubs in the US put stars on for league titles, but US leagues are just a liiiiiittle bit younger than European leagues. The LA Galaxy wear 5 stars above their crest because they've won 5 titles...the most of any club. 

I look forward to my hometown club adding a star someday, but definitely understand why it's different here than in Europe. 

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, May98 said:

Exactly.  A little bit of jealously going on in this thread. 

Small time?  Where about? 

Celtic quite rightly have one star for European Cup win 

Aberdeen just made it up that they could follow suit for winning less prestigious trophies 

4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Celtic quite rightly have one star for European Cup win 

Aberdeen just made it up that they could follow suit for winning less prestigious trophies 

Aberdeen winning the ECWC was every bit as big an achievement as Celtic winning the European Cup. Especially when you consider the size of the club that Aberdeen are, and who they beat to win it. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, micole said:

I thought the 2 stars was for their 2  premier league titles.....🤷‍♂️....maybe wrong though.

They won more than 2.

Gundermann
16 hours ago, DS98 said:

St Johnstone have as many trophies as the current Rangers incarnation. Hope Levein is sorting the stars on their kits.

Gorgie_Rules

As someone who was born in the generation after Aberdeen’s success, the 2nd star for a Super Cup win is a bit of an embarrassment. 

Can understand the one star for Cup Winners cup, but an equal star for a glorified friendly is a bit bizarre. Could be wrong but I can’t imagine there is many other clubs in Europe that commemorate a Super Cup win with a star on their jersey, in some ways it devalues the first one.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules