BBC Scotland football coverage

mscjambo

By The Light..

A large percentage of "Football Fans" are not going to games supporting a team merely checking results online and shouting at the telly.

Clearly the two Glasgow teams have lots of these fans all around the country so that's what the BBC are pandering to. I watch Sprotscene on iplayer and fast forward a lot!

What really boils my pish is the open all mics background drivel we get on Sportsound

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benny Klack

• Go for it 1308

• WDJ87

• wavydavy

Slightly off topic. I find the guys on Hearts TV to be very fair when they are commenting on matches. Hibs are ok too but The Rangers and Celtic TV guys are shockingly biased. There might as well only be one team playing. 

south morroccan
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

That said, I'm positive they mute the crowd noise when Hearts score at home ... 

.... and turn it up on the half time whistle when we've been poor in the first half.

SectionDJambo
21 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Remember Zal got head-butted at Pittodrie and Prime sent Zal off.  I think it was at that point the media spoke up after ignoring it for ages.

The worst thing about that injustice was that Brines was asked to reconsider his decision after Hearts appealed the red card that he showed Marius. After watching tv recordings and other images of the head butt by Lee Miller, of all people,  on Marius, he refused. 

That man was a serving police sergeant at the time. Not much of an endorsement of the fairness and impartiality of his profession.

His later, further, shenanigans against Hearts, at Ayr if I'm correct, led to Paulo Sergio subtlety exposing him for the fraud he was.

SectionDJambo
21 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'd be amazed if you have only just noticed these things. It's been that way for years. Of course the BBC will argue that talking about the Old Firm is what gets them the most listeners and that is why they do it.

To my mind having the vast majority of the media coverage aimed at the same two clubs just creates more and more future generations of Old Firm fans. Which weakens the product as a whole. If every team got a decent amount of media coverage then kids might feel more inclined to support their local team instead of opting for one of the uglies.

Back in the day, a Scottish "comedian" called Lex McLean was regularly on BBC Scotland and STV performing his "we arra peepel"  act wearing a Rangers bunnet as part of his terribly unfunny Glasgow orientated routine. We were all supposed to find him funny, whereas it was torture having to listen to the clown. Quite how it was deemed entertainment, particularly to Celtic fans, by the Scottish media should be a mystery, but isn't.

gnasher75

A View from the Terrace has shown it is possible to cover all of Scottish football without any Glasgow bias. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but that's not the point.

Sportsound is excruciating at times in the total imbalance of time given to discussing Rangers and Celtic even when they aren't playing.

Off the Ball is pretty good at calling them out for it and slagging Kenny McIntyre for being a bluenose. I once won an Off the Ball mug for slagging Pat Bonner for taking an eternity to talk us through the Celtic line up and not knowing who they were playing. 

TexasAndy
2 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I get why some people are frustrated with the BBC coverage of Hearts.

I’m also certain that fans of other SPFL teams will be just as angry with the Old Firm and Aberdeen bias. And (for many years but seemingly less so recently) the lazy stereotypes of Hearts being physical and Hibs being a ‘flair’ team.

But, it’s a step too far to think there’s a deliberate agenda.

Commentators and pundits wear fan-tinted specs and often find it hard to hide.

There also seems to be an embedded dressing room culture where former players try to impress each other and mostly follow the same narrative path their more dominant chums adopt. Saturday’s Sportscene was a perfect example. Thompson (nice guy but struggles more than most to hide his bias) asks about the penalty award whilst screwing up his face and making it clear he didn’t think it was correct. Neil McCann it was unfair but, reluctantly, says “within the laws of the game”. Peter Grant (looking weirdly like a Gerry Anderson puppet) goes all in with the faux outrage and, backed by Thompson, redefines what we all saw (i.e. a hand, out from the body, making it bigger and taking all the momentum out of a shot on goal - it couldn’t have been a more textbook penalty within the current laws - meaning it was 100% correctly awarded). 

It wasn’t evidence of an agenda, more tinted specs and follow the dressing room consensus.

What a class shout.  I was looking at Grant trying to think who he reminded me of.  Parker, lady Penelope's chauffeur in Thunderbirds.  Quality spot.

Dallas Green
12 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

https://x.com/spflwatch/status/1753799763470798947?s=46&t=SrqSNwJR3cnKo5Ytt-xW5A

I see Mikey Stewart had his regular Levein meltdown on it at the weekend. The most petty, embarrassing beef in Scottish football, he’d be an ok pundit if he was able to stay objective and not let his personal feelings get in the way of his job

He comes across as a total welt here. I don't usually mind him but he cannot see past this thing with Levein. It's so pathetic and makes him look like a complete lunatic at times. Levein must be lounging back and laughing like **** that the mere mention of his name can rile him up so much.

1 minute ago, Dallas Green said:

He comes across as a total welt here. I don't usually mind him but he cannot see past this thing with Levein. It's so pathetic and makes him look like a complete lunatic at times. Levein must be lounging back and laughing like **** that the mere mention of his name can rile him up so much.

All he has to do is just sit back & shut up but he can’t let it lie, imo it makes him look like a total imbecile 

Dallas Green

I don't enjoy watching Sportscene when we lose tbh but it is set to record so I usually get round to watching it before the Monday. McCann & McFadden are good pundits but the rest are usually below par. Their programming of who comes on when doesn't make sense, when I used to watch MOTD the lower scoring games came on first and the better games came on nearer the end I'm sure? I'd like us to adopt that.

Sportsound I only really listen to in the car at games but I'll usually listen to the podcast, unless our defeat has been particularly bad and I won't subject myself to that. Again, a few pundits are okay, Stewart & English are decent. Macintyre comes across as a complete tit most of the time though, there is something about him I just don't like. He doesn't seem very keen on Hearts either tbh.

Off The Ball is what it is, used to be a staple of the radio before the game on the way in but if I miss it for whatever reason these days, I'm not fussed.

AVFTT is good, I do enjoy it and their ability to have a Scottish football programme without the OF being the main show.

The great amount of Hearts content on Hearts TV and we get from the many podcasts are great and satisfy my maroon needs.

Dallas Green
7 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

All he has to do is just sit back & shut up but he can’t let it lie, imo it makes him look like a total imbecile 

Probably why his role in football is only a pundit. Doesn't have the mentality to be in the game deeper if he can't let things like that go.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

What a class shout.  I was looking at Grant trying to think who he reminded me of.  Parker, lady Penelope's chauffeur in Thunderbirds.  Quality spot.

👍

Maiden Gorgie

It all boils down to the fact they still see us as a threat to the OF, even if we are still miles off them.

They really don't like it when we hit a bit of form, release good financial figures and are on the up.

I personally ****** love it

On 04/02/2024 at 08:54, Jean Louis Valois said:

To be fair I only bother with Sportscene when we win, But sometimes it is a really bad watch. I like when Neil McCann and Mcfadden are on, two very good ex pros who actually speak alot of sense. But who the hell decides on guys like Peter Grant and Mulgrew, only on because they once played for Celtic. They have no interest or knowledge of any other teams. Also who has decided Steven Thompson is a presenter? The guy is so awkward. Compare it to Match of the day and its amateur hour. They could make it so much better. I'm not even going into the old firm bias as it's been that way 100 years and won't ever change.

To be fair, I would rather Thompson than that goggle-eyed p***k Jonathan Sutherland. Cannot stand him

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Where is it ?…..

Eff knows, said on the news it was following and my TV guide says its on but we've got a Grand tour of Scotlands lochs. 

Horatio Caine

Bit of a joke tbh. Presume they have decided to show the whole midweek card tomorrow night . Possibly due to the English cup game going to extra time.

Life Aquatic

Clearly Derek Adams post match interview is so contentious that the entire highlights program has had to be cancelled...

Lone Striker
17 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

Clearly Derek Adams post match interview is so contentious that the entire highlights program has had to be cancelled...

I was looking fwd to Sportscene just to see his rapid blinking and hear the pain in his voice.  Wonder if he'll mention Morecambe again. 😃

Edited by Lone Striker

Lone Striker

Are we hoping for a draw tomorrow night between Midden & Scumdee ?

6 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Are we hoping for a draw tomorrow night between Midden & Scumdee ?

getting close to  gruesome twosome game for me blood and snotters draw with 4 sendings off for each side

Graham Thomson
On 05/02/2024 at 12:11, 1953 said:

Slightly off topic. I find the guys on Hearts TV to be very fair when they are commenting on matches. Hibs are ok too but The Rangers and Celtic TV guys are shockingly biased. There might as well only be one team playing. 

I think Hibs TV are terrible 😔 the two games I watched they kept referring to hearts for no reason, as that shower across the city .  Poor as show but not unexpected.