BBC Scotland football coverage

mscjambo

2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It didn’t.  Scotland won the game!

I thought it cost Scotland their place in the championships 🤷‍♂️ happy to be  corrected. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benny Klack

• Go for it 1308

• WDJ87

• wavydavy

3 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

It was all to do with Miko diving to win a penalty at Hampden for Lithuania and Richard Gordon basically calling (mainly our) foreign players cheats despite Garry O’Connor perpetrating a far worse dying swan act early in the same match. 

That act was really due to being still x from the night before - same reason he had for "sprinting" away from the policewoman in central Edinburgh - but she caught him (was faster haha) and had him "done". 

Thunder and Lightning

People watching / listening to something that they don't like every week is just plain stupid. 

Daveandal
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Thommo's 100% Midden.

Maybe but he was on a Table in Tally Hos in Dundee 2002/3 ish after a Dundee Utd Rangers game making a right arsenal of himself. A United player out with Rangers players after a game and acting a goat to boot.

So much so Craig Flipping Moore apologised to bar staff and other people in here.

Source - Me.

4 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It didn’t.  Scotland won the game!

We were poor up until the Miko dive penalty so essentially it was a galvanising moment that changed the game in our favour. Dick should have thanked Miko rather than castigating him. Gave the weegies - including the refs - a reason to target him and our other Liths (as if they needed one).

Should've been 10

I usually enjoy listening to Sportsound on the drive home or the next day on the podcast while walking the dogs, expecially if we have won but this week I got to listen to every teams fans, even their son in the car and not one mention of the Hearts game, no manager interviews, nothing. Mostly Celtic and The Rangers orientated but even more so this week. I do enjoy when Tam Cowan calls them out every week for just selecting The Rangers or Celtic for the commentary game, regardless who else is playing. 

No Idle Talk
8 hours ago, mscjambo said:

Had a fantastic day up at Dens yesterday but a few things jumped out at me. Not really surprising but thought I'd highlight.

First of all Sportscene. Hearts and Dundee play out a 5 goal thriller yet Celtic and Rangers games are put ahead of it in the running order. Every week we are also subjected to an ex old firm player as guest pundit be it Peter Grant or Charlie Mulgrew both can hardly string a sentence together....so, so bad. 

BBC radio Scotland sportsound.

Pat Bonner professional celtic cheerleader who only covers celtic games, adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast except being unable to hide hus celtic bias. Why is he not sent to ever cover an non celtic game. 

They've got this phone at 5.30 which isn't a bad listen at time but interrupted buy some random person like Billy Dodds picking 3 songs what? Is this not a football broadcast...talk football. Yesterday fans phone in some rangers lady phoned she was given 15 minutes of air time included speaking to everyone in her car yet the motherwell fan got 6 minutes. Only noticed this as I was in the car driving home. 

The BBC don't even try to hide their old firm bias. It's pathetic. Guys like Richard Gordon (mind when he made racial slurs about Miko), Bonnar, John Collins etc...well past their sell by date as pundits and broadcasters...

I know nothing will change but bbc Scotland football coverage is pandering amateurish at best...

I'd be amazed if you have only just noticed these things. It's been that way for years. Of course the BBC will argue that talking about the Old Firm is what gets them the most listeners and that is why they do it.

To my mind having the vast majority of the media coverage aimed at the same two clubs just creates more and more future generations of Old Firm fans. Which weakens the product as a whole. If every team got a decent amount of media coverage then kids might feel more inclined to support their local team instead of opting for one of the uglies.

8 hours ago, mscjambo said:

Had a fantastic day up at Dens yesterday but a few things jumped out at me. Not really surprising but thought I'd highlight.

First of all Sportscene. Hearts and Dundee play out a 5 goal thriller yet Celtic and Rangers games are put ahead of it in the running order. Every week we are also subjected to an ex old firm player as guest pundit be it Peter Grant or Charlie Mulgrew both can hardly string a sentence together....so, so bad. 

Pat Bonner professional celtic cheerleader who only covers celtic games, adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast except being unable to hide hus celtic bias. Why is he not sent to ever cover an non celtic game. 

They've got this phone at 5.30 which isn't a bad listen at time but interrupted buy some random person like Billy Dodds picking 3 songs what? Is this not a football broadcast...talk football. Yesterday fans phone in some rangers lady phoned she was given 15 minutes of air time included speaking to everyone in her car yet the motherwell fan got 6 minutes. Only noticed this as I was in the car driving home. 

The BBC don't even try to hide their old firm bias. It's pathetic. Guys like Richard Gordon (mind when he made racial slurs about Miko), Bonnar, John Collins etc...well past their sell by date as pundits and broadcasters...

I know nothing will change but bbc Scotland football coverage is pandering amateurish at best...

Nothing will change - the whole football scene up here - SFA, SPL, referees, BBC, media, all reek OF bias!

It has always been thus! 🤷‍♂️

Daveandal
49 minutes ago, Papa said:

We were poor up until the Miko dive penalty so essentially it was a galvanising moment that changed the game in our favour. Dick should have thanked Miko rather than castigating him. Gave the weegies - including the refs - a reason to target him and our other Liths (as if they needed one).

The tone and suggesting it was because he was a certain type of person from a certain part of the world was awful.

If the player had been black, Muslim or even Asian he would have rightly been sacked but because its an Eastern European it was fine. Bit of a laugh eh.

Horrible man Mr Gordon.

colinmaroon
6 hours ago, Marvin said:

Iircc it came about after that Scotland game v Lithuania when Miko allegedly dived to win the Liths a penalty that ultimately knocked Scotland out the qualifying round for the European championships. Even though nothing was mentioned when half the Scottish side that day were equally at it. 

And it's a FACT that referees gave Hearts and particularly our foreign players (usually Lithuanians) a roasting until it got so bad that even the MSM said it had to stop.

Remember Zal got head-butted at Pittodrie and Prime sent Zal off.  I think it was at that point the media spoke up after ignoring it for ages.

Gordon never said a word in our favour.  He is a despicable little man. 

Edited by colinmaroon

23 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'd be amazed if you have only just noticed these things. It's been that way for years. Of course the BBC will argue that talking about the Old Firm is what gets them the most listeners and that is why they do it.

To my mind having the vast majority of the media coverage aimed at the same two clubs just creates more and more future generations of Old Firm fans. Which weakens the product as a whole. If every team got a decent amount of media coverage then kids might feel more inclined to support their local team instead of opting for one of the uglies.

The Pieman called it a few years ago and was slaughtered for it. He said Hearts didn’t have the OF commercial advantage of trading on religious bigotry in Scotland! He was absolutely correct.

jimbojambo

I had the misfortune to listen to Sportsound on Saturday and Kenny MacIntyre on open all mics showed his dislike for Hearts. When Allan Preston interrupted to say Forrest has equalised he let out a loud audible sigh. When we got the penalty he want off on one about it being a terrible decion followed by an angry response to our winner by blaming the goalie for letting it in. 

17 hours ago, Marvin said:

Iircc it came about after that Scotland game v Lithuania when Miko allegedly dived to win the Liths a penalty that ultimately knocked Scotland out the qualifying round for the European championships. Even though nothing was mentioned when half the Scottish side that day were equally at it. 

Almost right, but Scotland won with a Darren Fletcher winner. 

If it wasn't a Hearts player that dived literally everyone here would have agreed/not gave a shite about it.

The Andy Davis shit was far, far worse. 

Benny Klack
22 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Can someone remind me what Dickhead Gordon's racial slurs were slurs were  against Miko? 

He called Miko a diver and a cheat - when Miko took a dive and cheated tbf.

If memory serves correctly, some Scottish player also took a dive in the same game and probably unexpectedly, Gordon didn’t say owt.

Gordon never really hid his contempt of Hearts during the Romanov era but to call his outburst a “racial slur” is OTT. 

Benny Klack
7 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

I had the misfortune to listen to Sportsound on Saturday and Kenny MacIntyre on open all mics showed his dislike for Hearts. When Allan Preston interrupted to say Forrest has equalised he let out a loud audible sigh. When we got the penalty he want off on one about it being a terrible decion followed by an angry response to our winner by blaming the goalie for letting it in. 

Some folks on here are a wee bit precious 

Benny Klack
18 hours ago, Colquhoun76 said:

I always watch sportscene for our highlights. I like to see how quick the sound man's reaction is when we score,home or away. Yesterday we had a large away support, two thousand plus, we score ,in front of our fans and the sound mix very audibly goes down....lol

Do you honestly believe that Sportscene makes a production decision to purposely turn down the crowd noise on Hearts fans??? Why on earth would they do this???

🤷

20 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I don’t watch it even when we do win. YouTube goal videos are good enough. None of the pundits add anything of any value. 

Anyway, re the OP: I’m glad we fly under the radar. We don’t need a pat on the head from the OF-centric media. 

Hearts TV gives you separate goals, highlights and full match options the day after the game, only the live events aren’t available to Uk viewers. You also get a manager interview and a player interview the day before a match and a manager interview an hour or so after the match. I’ve found it good value at £58 a year. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
17 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

If memory serves correctly, some Scottish player also took a dive in the same game and probably unexpectedly, Gordon didn’t say owt.

Gordon never really hid his contempt of Hearts during the Romanov era but to call his outburst a “racial slur” is OTT. 

To paraphrase him, he also wanted Miko hounded out of Scotland for his dive.

PortyBeach
17 hours ago, Daveandal said:

Maybe but he was on a Table in Tally Hos in Dundee 2002/3 ish after a Dundee Utd Rangers game making a right arsenal of himself. A United player out with Rangers players after a game and acting a goat to boot.

So much so Craig Flipping Moore apologised to bar staff and other people in here.

Source - Me.

Was this after his stint at Ibrox?
If so, the Rangers players involved may have been former teammates? 

As for him acting like an eejit after too much bevvy, hands up all those who’ve never been there…😊

I listened to the Scottish football podcast so essentially sportsound straight after the games last week. 1hr 10mins and I think all Hearts got were the final 1 minute of the show which was a Naismith interview. 

No fan reaction, no pundit discussion, no analysis. 

This week, a 5 goal thriller and I don't think we had any coverage.

I've given up on sportscene and wait for the Hearts highlights reels which normally offer more clips of the actual talking points that sportscene miss but the standard of coverage we get for being an in form, 3rd placed team is ridiculous tbh

PortyBeach
7 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

MacIntyre will be hurting because his team decided not to embarrass themselves with a derisory bid for Shanks…

Midloth_Iain
32 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Sure it was Gary O'Connor 

Benny Klack
21 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

To paraphrase him, he also wanted Miko hounded out of Scotland for his dive.

That’s not paraphrasing. 

Bazzas right boot
On 04/02/2024 at 07:13, John Findlay said:

John Collins will be fuming that the pub team are currently 19pts ahead of the artisans of the beautiful game.

John Collins stuck up for us during our demotion and imo is no where near as bad as Bonner, Miller,  Grant etc.

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

People watching / listening to something that they don't like every week is just plain stupid. 

Yet you allegedly continue to go to Tynecastle and watch Hearts.

TexasAndy

100% agree with OP.  Yes the game here is dominated by OF but there's not even an attempt to promote or publicize the rest of our game because as OP said our broadcasts are pumped full of ex OF players.  It spreads in to the newspaper media as well.  I have and always will be a fan of Kenny Dalglish but his Sunday Post column is ALWAYS Celtic, Rangers, Liverpool and occasionally Scotland.  Most weeks I flip past his column.  We can't have pundits and journalists slagging off the lack of competition in Scotland when they are equally culpable.

kingantti1874
54 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Do you honestly believe that Sportscene makes a production decision to purposely turn down the crowd noise on Hearts fans??? Why on earth would they do this???

🤷

Ive zero doubt some individuals at BBC Scotland are anti hearts. Sportscene does a good job usually of missing controversial moments in hearts games, not discussing those controversial moments, and in games were entirely dominant in they do a good job making sure it’s balanced. As well as trotting out clowns like Peter Grant and Charlie Mulgrew. Kenny McIntyre is an absolute joke, a west coast parasite who couldn’t be impartial if he tried.  

The reasons imo.

For sportscene Celtic and Hibs leaning production staff, they simply can’t help it.  And the Sportsound crew just struggle with a lack of talent and putting aside their allegiances to be professional. 

It’s a perfect representation of Scotland, a small country, with small entrenched views and a lot of the time a distinct lack of talent.  (Willie Miller fits into the last bucket) 

Edited by kingantti1874

37 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

MacIntyre will be hurting because his team decided not to embarrass themselves with a derisory bid for Shanks…

In fairness to MacIntyre, at least he is open about who he supports, which is not always the case with these pundits. 

As for Bonner, I feel the reason he only ever seems to cover Celtic games is that he's just not interested in anything non-Celtic. In the Celtic games he covers you can tell that his knowledge of the opposition players is virtually non-existent. You'd have thought that being a pundit should require a certain level of research and knowledge of the players in the league you're covering.

As for Peter Grant, I wasn't keen on him as a player but I actually generally find him not bad as a pundit.

The consensus seems to be that BBC Scotland Sportscene and Sportsound are below par Old Firm fixated pish. While this is true they are now NOT the go to source for Hearts content, podcasts,  Hearts TV and Internet streaming of games renders them irrelevant for the most part. Unfortunately , the poor licence payer still pays for the wages of these OF psychophants at the BBC.

Jambo in Bathgate
47 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

I listened to the Scottish football podcast so essentially sportsound straight after the games last week. 1hr 10mins and I think all Hearts got were the final 1 minute of the show which was a Naismith interview. 

No fan reaction, no pundit discussion, no analysis. 

This week, a 5 goal thriller and I don't think we had any coverage.

I've given up on sportscene and wait for the Hearts highlights reels which normally offer more clips of the actual talking points that sportscene miss but the standard of coverage we get for being an in form, 3rd placed team is ridiculous tbh

You are right there was no mention of Hearts v Dundee,  The only mention we got was the interview with Levein after St Johnstone game. I stick to Hearts TV well worth the £58. 

When I did use to listen to Sportsound, Kenny McIntyre sounded liked he had anger issues.....perhaps he should try therapy.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Benny Klack said:

That’s not paraphrasing. 

I expressed it as that because I cannot recall his exact quote. He was ridiculous though in his reaction.

Japan Jambo
11 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

The consensus seems to be that BBC Scotland Sportscene and Sportsound are below par Old Firm fixated pish. While this is true they are now NOT the go to source for Hearts content, podcasts,  Hearts TV and Internet streaming of games renders them irrelevant for the most part. Unfortunately , the poor licence payer still pays for the wages of these OF psychophants at the BBC.

Still listen to Off The Ball (out of habit, I suspect) but as a rule I find BBC Scotland utterly tedious. The jobs for the retired old firm boys routine who were unable to function in civvy life nullifies any attempt at quality or inclusive analysis, this being typified by them scrapping together a gig for that utter welt Lee McCulloch.

HTV, JKB and a raft of very good Hearts focussed sate my appetite, but then I'm now just a grumpy aging curmudgeon who has an 'only Hearts' outlook.

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yet you allegedly continue to go to Tynecastle and watch Hearts.

Was that funny in your head? 

I'm surprised you managed to hear it in amongst all the Robbie angst. 

OmiyaHearts

I just watch the games and fast forward the post-match interviews and analysis. Not sure why everyone doesn't do that?

I could count on one hand, the amount of pundits I've listened to and actually learnt anything. Same with manager interviews, boring as hell.

OmiyaHearts
59 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

There are people in Scotland still paying TV licences? I thought everyone up here stopped paying.

inspector
21 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I expressed it as that because I cannot recall his exact quote. He was ridiculous though in his reaction.

Did Gordon Smith (ex CEO of the SFA) (?) not wade in as well.

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, inspector said:

Did Gordon Smith (ex CEO of the SFA) (?) not wade in as well.

I can't recall who else was with Dick that day but it wouldn't surprise me.

I like to listen to the sportsound podcast on a Monday morning. An hour and a half of content. How much airtime did Dundee v Hearts get? 5 goal thriller and game of the weekend? Zilch. Not a mention. 45 mins of the usual old firm garbage and covered every other game but heehaw about us. They even went into the lower leagues. I actually started it again and skipped through parts to see if I missed anything. WTF is that all about? 

9 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I like to listen to the sportsound podcast on a Monday morning. An hour and a half of content. How much airtime did Dundee v Hearts get? 5 goal thriller and game of the weekend? Zilch. Not a mention. 45 mins of the usual old firm garbage and covered every other game but heehaw about us. They even went into the lower leagues. I actually started it again and skipped through parts to see if I missed anything. WTF is that all about? 

I did the same

I enjoy A View From The Terrace.  But otherwise the coverage is grim.

I reckon one of the reasons there’s a “fondness” for Aberdeen in BBC Scotland is because many of the production staff are of an age that would have been kids / started supporting them in the ‘80s.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

I get why some people are frustrated with the BBC coverage of Hearts.

I’m also certain that fans of other SPFL teams will be just as angry with the Old Firm and Aberdeen bias. And (for many years but seemingly less so recently) the lazy stereotypes of Hearts being physical and Hibs being a ‘flair’ team.

But, it’s a step too far to think there’s a deliberate agenda.

Commentators and pundits wear fan-tinted specs and often find it hard to hide.

There also seems to be an embedded dressing room culture where former players try to impress each other and mostly follow the same narrative path their more dominant chums adopt. Saturday’s Sportscene was a perfect example. Thompson (nice guy but struggles more than most to hide his bias) asks about the penalty award whilst screwing up his face and making it clear he didn’t think it was correct. Neil McCann it was unfair but, reluctantly, says “within the laws of the game”. Peter Grant (looking weirdly like a Gerry Anderson puppet) goes all in with the faux outrage and, backed by Thompson, redefines what we all saw (i.e. a hand, out from the body, making it bigger and taking all the momentum out of a shot on goal - it couldn’t have been a more textbook penalty within the current laws - meaning it was 100% correctly awarded). 

It wasn’t evidence of an agenda, more tinted specs and follow the dressing room consensus.

Tokyo Drifter

Bonner is a waste of space and everyone at the BBC must know it. I wouldn't mind him so much if he actually did some work but he's just lazy. I listened to the commentary of the Celtic v Hearts game and he would refer to all the Celtic players by their first names and the Hearts players as 'the Hearts player'. It's ignorance as much as its bias, which is doubly reprehensible. Willie Miller isn't much better, to be honest. 

As for Sportscene, I actually think we're fairly well represented there. The Beeb know that Mikey Stewart and Neil McCann are two of the best pundits they have, so they get plenty of air time. 

Tokyo Drifter

That said, I'm positive they mute the crowd noise when Hearts score at home ... 

Hearts_fan
On 04/02/2024 at 07:00, mscjambo said:

Very decent points.

Benny Klack
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Ive zero doubt some individuals at BBC Scotland are anti hearts. Sportscene does a good job usually of missing controversial moments in hearts games, not discussing those controversial moments, and in games were entirely dominant in they do a good job making sure it’s balanced. As well as trotting out clowns like Peter Grant and Charlie Mulgrew. Kenny McIntyre is an absolute joke, a west coast parasite who couldn’t be impartial if he tried.  

The reasons imo.

For sportscene Celtic and Hibs leaning production staff, they simply can’t help it.  And the Sportsound crew just struggle with a lack of talent and putting aside their allegiances to be professional. 

It’s a perfect representation of Scotland, a small country, with small entrenched views and a lot of the time a distinct lack of talent.  (Willie Miller fits into the last bucket) 

I think you’re just paranoid tbh - pretty sure if you went on any fans forums in Scotland they’d all say there is a conspiracy against them.

Granted Miller and Bonner are fairly blindsided by their own allegiances but same could be levelled at Preston with Hearts. Bottom line is that Radio Scotland is dire and they play big style to the OF, the same as all media outlets in Scotland do. You’re much better off just listening to Hearts podcasts.

To say someone is turning the volume down on Hearts fans cheering though is tinfoil hat time in my opinion. 

Benny Klack
3 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Would agree with the above.

Dont believe in an anti Hearts agenda at all - we are the same as the rest of Scottish football - a side bar to the OF.

Hearts podcasts are the way to go. 

brunoatemyhamster

Remember the film Waynes world? 

Remember they had the cable show in his basement before they got snapped up by a network? 

Thats BBC coverage of Scottish football. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Benny Klack said:

I think you’re just paranoid tbh - pretty sure if you went on any fans forums in Scotland they’d all say there is a conspiracy against them.

Granted Miller and Bonner are fairly blindsided by their own allegiances but same could be levelled at Preston with Hearts. Bottom line is that Radio Scotland is dire and they play big style to the OF, the same as all media outlets in Scotland do. You’re much better off just listening to Hearts podcasts.

To say someone is turning the volume down on Hearts fans cheering though is tinfoil hat time in my opinion. 

Oh I do, I stopped listening to sport sound regularly  after Richard Gordon’s xenophobic rant. That was utterly pathetic

I think I’m pretty objective tbh but it is unbelievably blatant. remeber the BBC Scotland witch-hunt with Jamie Walker, when it wasn’t even the worst dive in the game.  remember the witch hunt with Vargas when it wasn’t even the worst dive of the weekend)

I could almost guarantee those Glasgow offices are filled with Celtic minded individuals who find hearts an easier target than rangers