Miners Strike

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Anyone watched the C4 documentary on this?

Found it really interesting, the range of voices they’d managed to pull together and all the different opinions on it. A very good watch.

I’ve no time for Thatcher but the series left me with the feeling that above all else, Scargill screwed up massively by dodging a national ballot. He looked like a genuinely broken man as he announced the return to work.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doddsyJR9

• il Duce McTarkin

• Gundermann

• henrysmithsgloves

doddsyJR9

I was a young man during the miners strikes, and still vividly remember the enormous effects it had across all spectrums of society at that time. While I admire Thatcher for her many great achievements, the devastation that it took to break the miners strikes, was heartbreaking. Scargill and the green brigade left wing unions used the miners to try to bring down the Tory government, and while they were the main architects of the destruction, I still have grave doubts regarding the endgame of coal production in the UK. 

Jeffros Furios
14 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

I was a young man during the miners strikes, and still vividly remember the enormous effects it had across all spectrums of society at that time. While I admire Thatcher for her many great achievements, the devastation that it took to break the miners strikes, was heartbreaking. Scargill and the green brigade left wing unions used the miners to try to bring down the Tory government, and while they were the main architects of the destruction, I still have grave doubts regarding the endgame of coal production in the UK. 

Thatcher was a slag .. Tony Blair is a great man .tories are scum .

Dawnrazor

I was in 2nd year at high school when it kicked off, it was a very very unpleasant period of my life.

I saw poverty then, real poverty, people in real need of food banks, such a toxic period.

doddsyJR9
Just now, Jeffros Furios said:

Thatcher hated Greens and the IRA. A good lady. 

Jeffros Furios
7 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Thatcher was a Soviet agent .. Tony Blair was a great PM 

doddsyJR9
1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

What age are you? Are you trying to goad me into a ban or something? If you are an Snp/plaid cymru/green/leftist/commie etc, then of course you would think tony blair was a great pm. 

Margaret Thatcher hated the IRA/Greens/Separatists/Commies etc. Greatest ever PM. As I said, I do have grave doubts over the miners who were duped by the green brigade into trying to bring down the Tory government. 

AlimOzturk
14 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

6 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Both are thoroughly detestable people. Wtf is going on here. 😂

doddsyJR9
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Both are thoroughly detestable people. Wtf is going on here. 😂

Why are both detestable? Margaret fought the IRA and the Greens.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Why are both detestable? Margaret fought the IRA and the Greens.

You’re a slaver.

doddsyJR9
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’re a slaver.

A slaver to those who have their own agenda. Just someone who has their own opinion to other more open minded.

Jeffros Furios
7 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

What age are you? Are you trying to goad me into a ban or something? If you are an Snp/plaid cymru/green/leftist/commie etc, then of course you would think tony blair was a great pm. 

Margaret Thatcher hated the IRA/Greens/Separatists/Commies etc. Greatest ever PM. As I said, I do have grave doubts over the miners who were duped by the green brigade into trying to bring down the Tory government. 

You are blind to the truth. Thatcher and her marxist green agenda ruined this great country..

Tony Blair was our saviour .. I can see through your woke agenda .

doddsyJR9
Just now, Jeffros Furios said:

You are blind to the truth. Thatcher and her marxist green agenda ruined this great country..

Tony Blair was our saviour .. I can see through your woke agenda .

Yeah, mon the IRA/Greens/Commies/Snp/Plaid Cymru/Red Army etc.

Is that better for you comrade?

2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

This thread is like the Cod Wars

🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣

And some are the fish and some the fishermen. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, doddsyJR9 said:

The Falkland conflict apart what do you remember of Thatcher's great achievements?

I'm still scratching my head as I can only remember Scotland being used for the poll tax , ship building closing down, high unemployment and social deprivation, heavy drink and drug culture, nationwide football violence and street gangs running amok

Thatchers Britain  was shit for 99.5% of people was it not?

Edited by Howdy Doody Jambo

Dawnrazor
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And some are the fish and some the fishermen. 

Screenshot_20240130-231946~2.png

Dawnrazor
Just now, Tazio said:

Wherever he lays his hat that’s his home. 

😂👍

18 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Yeah, mon the IRA/Greens/Commies/Snp/Plaid Cymru/Red Army etc.

Is that better for you comrade?

What year do you think this is, out of interest? 

doddsyJR9
1 minute ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

The Falkland conflict apart what do you remember of Thatcher's great achievements?

I'm still scratching my head as I can only remember Scotland being used for the poll tax , ship building closing down, high unemployment and social deprivation, heavy drink and drug culture, nationwide football violence and street gangs running amok

If you were a young man in the 70's Labour run Britain. You would remember it as being real poverty stricken times, brought about by as per usual union left wing green brigade self serving ness. Thatcher ushered in decades of empowerment, employment  and growth for ordinary people. There were mistakes, the miners were used by the self serving union green brigade. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

If you were a young man in the 70's Labour run Britain. You would remember it as being real poverty stricken times, brought about by as per usual union left wing green brigade self serving ness. Thatcher ushered in decades of empowerment, employment  and growth for ordinary people. There were mistakes, the miners were used by the self serving union green brigade. 

:rofl:

doddsyJR9
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

There was nothing funny about the marxist commies using the hard working, brave miners, for their own agenda, to bring down the Tory Government. Men died, impoverished, communities broken. What's funny about that? 

JimmyCant

I was a cop in 84. My old man was a miner. You can imagine the conflict in our family and it was never healed up until my dad passed (with a disease caused by mining)

I remember well into the strike when things were getting really bad for communities. Groups of us were in what they called ‘Fast Action Response Teams’ FARTs for short. We used to patrol the Lothian hotspots in blacked out vans and got sent to Durham a few times. It was pretty hard for a lot of the working class cops (they were a majority in those days) seeing what was happening to those communities. Seeing the bucket raking at night and just struggling to feed their kids.

One of the FART vans (not mine)under cover of darkness and rolling in shameful overtime payments, went to a big supermarket in Edinburgh and loaded up with cheap going out of date stuff. They filled the van so tight, they were sitting on each others knees. They drove to Mayfield (I think it was) might have been Easthouses miners welfare club and unloaded the stuff into the car park and covered it up. Getting back into the van and trying to sneak off anonymously a voice came out of the upstairs window ‘Thanks lads, God Bless you’ they had to grab hold of the guy and swear him to keep his mouth shut about where the stuff had come from. 

Story didn’t come out till years after the strike and was quickly buried as it didn't suit anyone’s agenda at the time

It wasn’t all ‘them against us’ Most cops knew we were being used by Maggie but big huge pay rises a few years earlier made it a bit of a non issue. When you did a picket line and it was just local Lothian miners, it was virtually trouble free and respectful. A but of pushing  and shoving but quite disciplined on both sides. Although you knew you were getting a fight some days when the Durham and Yorkshire guys came up.

What really stuck in the throat is many of us had to give employment tribunal evidence against guys who had been sacked for being arrested. We just couldn’t help them without perjuring ourselves. That’s my biggest regret, having to do that, but the redundancies took them all out of work within  a few years anyway.

Edited by JimmyCant

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

We need more Tony Blairs imo.

We actually do need more governments like his to grow standards of living. I'm 50 but other than the period between the latter end of Major's govt and the crash of 2017 most of my life has witnessed downturn. 

The post war consensus was hardly dynamic but it didn't shite all over the working guy. And looking after him keeps the economy healthy

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Thatcher only won the 1983 election because of the Falklands war.

My brother was a miner who was on strike both in 1974 and 1984.  Scargill was actually right about the government's intention to shut down the coal industry, along with just about every other major manufacturing industry. She created division in society and made it acceptable to make profit by sacking people and the impacting on the future of their communities.

Among her other claimed successes, was privatisation, selling off the nations assets then allowing them to profit, for a one off boost to the treasury coffers. That same thing happened with the sale of council houses. How many new houses were built with the proceeds?  .........   Virtually none. That's her legacy.

The Specials' Ghost Town is a good reflection of the times, even from Thatcher's early days.

This town, is coming like a ghost town
Bands won't play no more
Too much fighting on the dance floor
Do you remember the good old days before the ghost town?
We danced and sang, and the music played in a de boomtown
Why must the youth fight against themselves?
Government leaving the youth on the shelf
No job to be found in this country
Can't go on no more
The people getting angry

henrysmithsgloves

Lived it😳 was scary,the auld man was in the NACODS union,but never crossed the NUM pickets if they didn't want him to. He was previously a NUM delegate late 60s early 70s. I will leave it at that😳

The press did a number on the miners during the 70’s as well with all their stories about miners making a fortune on overtime and living a life of luxury. So by the time the strikes started the hard of thinking had no sympathy. Then you get told it’s an industry on its last legs, so how do people have to do overtime if it’s knackered? Then we spend years subsidising polish mining by importing coal. Genius. 

Edited by Tazio

PaddysBar
9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I was a cop in 84. My old man was a miner. You can imagine the conflict in our family and it was never healed up until my dad passed (with a disease caused by mining)

I remember well into the strike when things were getting really bad for communities. Groups of us were in what they called ‘Fast Action Response Teams’ FARTs for short. We used to patrol the Lothian hotspots in blacked out vans and got sent to Durham a few times. It was pretty hard for a lot of the working class cops (they were a majority in those days) seeing what was happening to those communities. Seeing the bucket raking at night and just struggling to feed their kids.

One of the FART vans (not mine)under cover of darkness and rolling in shameful overtime payments, went to a big supermarket in Edinburgh and loaded up with cheap going out of date stuff. They filled the van so tight, they were sitting on each others knees. They drove to Mayfield (I think it was) might have been Easthouses miners welfare club and unloaded the stuff into the car park and covered it up. Getting back into the van and trying to sneak off anonymously a voice came out of the upstairs window ‘Thanks lads, God Bless you’ they had to grab hold of the guy and swear him to keep his mouth shut about where the stuff had come from. 

Story didn’t come out till years after the strike and was quickly buried as it didn't suit anyone’s agenda at the time

It wasn’t all ‘them against us’ Most cops knew we were being used by Maggie but big huge pay rises a few years earlier made it a bit of a non issue. When you did a picket line and it was just local Lothian miners, it was virtually trouble free and respectful. A but of pushing  and shoving but quite disciplined on both sides. Although you knew you were getting a fight some days when the Durham and Yorkshire guys came up.

What really stuck in the throat is many of us had to give employment tribunal evidence against guys who had been sacked for being arrested. We just couldn’t help them without perjuring ourselves. That’s my biggest regret, having to do that, but the redundancies took them all out of work within  a few years anyway.

Good post. I was a kid in easthouses / mayfield during the ‘84 strike, albeit my dad wasn’t a miner. 

It was brutal but the community rallied. Miner’s kids getting free access to the Sunday club at Newbattle high for example and loads more I would have been too young to know about. 

FARTS though😂

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Crap!

My dad died in the 70s of emphysema, at age 56, after having worked in the pits for 30 years. No wonder the miners sought better pay and conditions.

I was still able to go to university in the 70s (the first in my family to do so), with no tuition fees, a maximum grant, and no student debt. I was able to buy my first flat on a mortgage at 2.5 times my salary, also in the 70s.

How does someone in their 20s fare today trying to do the same as I did.

PaddysBar
37 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

You forgot the biggie, selling off pretty much all the nation’s silver to her government’s rich pals. 

I’ve had dealings with doddsy on here before and I won’t be doing it again. 

Utter bellend. 

il Duce McTarkin
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was still able to go to university in the 70s (the first in my family to do so), with no tuition fees, a maximum grant, and no student debt. I was able to buy my first flat on a mortgage at 2.5 times my salary, also in the 70s.

How does someone in their 20s fare today trying to do the same as I did.

They don't stand a ****ing chance. Simple as that.

Howdy Doody Jambo
42 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Unemployment up, then down, then up again. The unemployment rate rose from 5.3 per cent to a high of 12 per cent in 1984, before falling to 7.5 per cent when Thatcher left office. It began to rise again in 1990, and continued to do so after she left, reaching a high of 10.8 per cent in January 1993.

Decades of employment and growth for ordinary people  Naw she didnay

Edited by Howdy Doody Jambo

44 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

We actually do need more governments like his to grow standards of living. I'm 50 but other than the period between the latter end of Major's govt and the crash of 2017 most of my life has witnessed downturn. 

The post war consensus was hardly dynamic but it didn't shite all over the working guy. And looking after him keeps the economy healthy

Hear, hear.

Attlee in the 40s, Wilson & Jenkins in the 60s and Blair & Brown in the 00s made huge  improvements to this country.

(And I have no doubt Tories like McMillan, Eden & Douglas-Home would be horrified at what their party has become)

Edited by FWJ

41 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

You forgot the biggie, selling off pretty much all the nation’s silver to her government’s rich pals. 

I’ve had dealings with doddsy on here before and I won’t be doing it again. 

Utter bellend. 

… and it was an Tory ex-PM (Harold MacMillan) that called her out for that.

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Thatcher only won the 1983 election because of the Falklands war.

My brother was a miner who was on strike both in 1974 and 1984.  Scargill was actually right about the government's intention to shut down the coal industry, along with just about every other major manufacturing industry. She created division in society and made it acceptable to make profit by sacking people and the impacting on the future of their communities.

Among her other claimed successes, was privatisation, selling off the nations assets then allowing them to profit, for a one off boost to the treasury coffers. That same thing happened with the sale of council houses. How many new houses were built with the proceeds?  .........   Virtually none. That's her legacy.

The Specials' Ghost Town is a good reflection of the times, even from Thatcher's early days.

Bands won't play no more
Too much fighting on the dance floor
Do you remember the good old days before the ghost town?
We danced and sang, and the music played in a de boomtown
Why must the youth fight against themselves?
Government leaving the youth on the shelf
No job to be found in this country
Can't go on no more
The people getting angry

Great post 

Didnae ken the power station workers were bought by, Thatcher. Their company pensions were enhanced handsomely when they didn't come out in support of the miners  

7 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

She hated Scotland. 

Feck being a miner or his family a couple of hundred years ago. You were all fecked to slavery.

henrysmithsgloves
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Feck being a miner or his family a couple of hundred years ago. You were all fecked to slavery.

As well as the rest of the lower class were subservient 🤬

1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

As well as the rest of the lower class were subservient 🤬

Indeed. But I was astounded when I read a wee while ago about miners in the 1700s in Scotland and elsewhere. 🤯

10 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Yes, No, Yes

10 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

As ,possibly,the only person on this thread that was on strike, I find your description and analysis fascinating,your insight gets right to the heart of the conflict!

Dimmer than my cap lamp at the end of a shift🖕

11 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Anyone watched the C4 documentary on this?

Found it really interesting, the range of voices they’d managed to pull together and all the different opinions on it. A very good watch.

I’ve no time for Thatcher but the series left me with the feeling that above all else, Scargill screwed up massively by dodging a national ballot. He looked like a genuinely broken man as he announced the return to work.

Just finished episode 2, shame it became police v miners. Neither side covered themselves in glory the behavior on the picket lines coupled with police brutality.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Indeed. But I was astounded when I read a wee while ago about miners in the 1700s in Scotland and elsewhere. 🤯

Just over 100 years😳

8 hours ago, Pap said:

Tony Blair the war criminal.

Had no idea he started life down the pit.