The Oldest Living Ex-Heart ?

dannymack

dannymack

As posted on another thread regarding our 150th anniversary, i was thinking back to the 1974 Centenary when the club hosted events when players of yesteryear were invited on behalf of the club to celebrate the 100 years, no doubt at present the club will have plans to host similar events but I was wondering for now who is the oldest living ex-Hearts player that we are still fortunate to have with us ? 

These images below are from the 50s which give or take a year or two are 70 years ago, the younger players on show here are a decent enough gauge to look at but unfortunately simply due to the years rapidly whizzing by most if not all have passed. 

Screenshot_20220116-042634_Facebook.thumb.jpg.ec19ad23a617be3ecea083ecfe257cb8.jpg

img127.jpeg.a8a1e37c13871f1c93692d24079c4ed0.jpeg

FB_IMG_1586127419526.thumb.jpg.5b02399b8efda69aaf19ca96574e0d40.jpg

27(770x456).jpg.aaf4f7a9eb5014f875e2c34663e5bdb6.jpg

111(2).thumb.JPG.d36b2014ae3c57a4b503e75fc96d243b.JPG

HeartsSquadMay1958readyforCanada.jpg.20bb6678ca179447514181b4a6a38e91.jpg

10252116_610282532381903_8602868591487876697_n.jpg.be76b693688e6c1da39521a7583e16c6.jpg

Motherwell(N)4-2(SLCF)23_10.1954WinningTeamGroupPict.jpg.abaf903129d87a6560d21eb4ac93fe8b.jpg

Screenshot_20221203-232227_YouCamPerfect.thumb.jpg.c5d074651fd03a30ae29e3c1a078fed7.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannymack

• John Findlay

• cauther col

• Lone Striker

dannymack
1 minute ago, heartandsoul said:

dannymack, what can I say. Brilliant photos. Thank you.

Glad to share... also need to give credit to Andy the Photo Doctor for the last colour image in the 50s batch. 👍

i wish jj was my dad

My wee yin did a memories thing with her school a few years back and made friends with Freddie Glidden. His memories of the golden age were very vivid. 

upgotheheads

Sometime around 1965 I was camping overnight at Gullane with a couple of pals. There was a cleared area  at the west end of the beaches with goalposts. We watched Hearts playing a training  game there and the famous hill where players used to train was nearby, I wonder if it still is?

upgotheheads
7 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Gordon Marshall still on the go. 

David Holt? Jim Brown?

Edited by upgotheheads

maroonsgotop
10 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Gordon Marshall still on the go. 

and Davy Holt who still looks in great nic

Great pictures, brings back a lot of memories of the great players we had playing for us over the years, some of them from the first few years I started watching Hearts. Cruikshank, Alan Anderson, Eddie Thomson, Davie Holt, Donald Ford, Jim Townsend etc etc. Too many to mention here, who else remembers big Ernie Winchester? He joined us as a striker from an American club I think and ended up playing in midfield for us. Not our best ever player but what a character we was.

PaddysBar

All passed away now but it was great to meet Jimmy Murray (scored Scotland’s first ever goal at the World Cup finals in ‘58), Lawrie Reilly and Tam Preston (both ex hibs players) at the Willie Bauld memorial dinner around 10 years ago. 

All great old guys👍 Lawrie and Tam were there purely out of respect for the king of Newcraighall and quite rightly got a great reception.

dannymack
3 minutes ago, Dsjambo said:

Great pictures, brings back a lot of memories of the great players we had playing for us over the years, some of them from the first few years I started watching Hearts. Cruikshank, Alan Anderson, Eddie Thomson, Davie Holt, Donald Ford, Jim Townsend etc etc. Too many to mention here, who else remembers big Ernie Winchester? He joined us as a striker from an American club I think and ended up playing in midfield for us. Not our best ever player but what a character we was.

Screenshot_20231108_084747_PhotoDirector.jpg

34 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Glad to share... also need to give credit to Andy the Photo Doctor for the last colour image in the 50s batch. 👍

I'm 67 and these photos have just brought tears to my eyes. Thank you 

Billy Higgins (I think) and Gordon Marshall from the 58 & 60 league winning teams are still living 

Davie Holt, Willie Wallace, Roy Barry and Donald Ford from the 60s

maroonsgotop
29 minutes ago, Dsjambo said:

think I was at his debut, midweek friendly against Eintracht Frankfurt from memory 1-1 draw

RustyRightPeg
23 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Sometime around 1965 I was camping overnight at Gullane with a couple of pals. There was a cleared area  at the west end of the beaches with goalposts. We watched Hearts playing a training  game there and the famous hill where players used to train was nearby, I wonder if it still is?

Oh that hills still there. Pre season is just as hard!

JimmyCant
18 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Billy Higgins (I think) and Gordon Marshall from the 58 & 60 league winning teams are still living 

Davie Holt, Willie Wallace, Roy Barry and Donald Ford from the 60s

Marshall 84. Higgins 83. If their Wiki is correct and both still alive that’ll be hard to beat

JudyJudyJudy

Great pics . One of my best friends would have loved to see them . He sadly passed away last year at 69 . He really knew  his Hearts  history and would probably be able to identify many of the players as he had a fantastic memory and could recall games from the early 60s onwards . He was Gorgie born and bred . I used to show him pics from this forum of the old players as he wasn’t online . Thanks for sharing . 

Ps I do recall him mentioning an Ernie Winchester !! It’s a name you’re unlikely to forget . 

GorgieJim
16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Marshall 84. Higgins 83. If their Wiki is correct and both still alive that’ll be hard to beat

Davie Holt 88

JimmyCant
12 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Great pics . One of my best friends would have loved to see them . He sadly passed away last year at 69 . He really knew  his Hearts  history and would probably be able to identify many of the players as he had a fantastic memory and could recall games from the early 60s onwards . He was Gorgie born and bred . I used to show him pics from this forum of the old players as he wasn’t online . Thanks for sharing . 

Ps I do recall him mentioning an Ernie Winchester !! It’s a name you’re unlikely to forget . 

Ernie could hit a ball harder than Skacel. His only problem was direction 😂 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

😂😂👍

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

The 60s squads 

16799853973776728467995726923734.jpg

Jut.jpg

Screenshot_20220815-093818_Gallery.jpg

424015866_StanleyMatthewsinHeartsdressingroomwithTommyWalker.jpg.c7993f5df991dfd67a843c8eabb26002.jpg

Hearts.jpg

F6D182CC-51AC-4FC3-999A-CD2278517110.thumb.jpeg.f19d28fe06931f37d84f8f1c8a436b41.jpeg

Wilson Wood - Cumming - Brown - Anderson - Cruikshank - Thomson.jpg

Screenshot_20240130_214620_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240130_214652_Gallery.jpg

Great photos, Danny.  I've never seen that  human pyramid one on Gullane beach before.       Brian Marjoribanks went on to be a presenter/reporter on Sportscene in the late 60s/early 70s.  I think he played for Hibs as well.

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I am sure he hit one down the slope at Easter road that ended up in the links :pleased:

davemclaren
34 minutes ago, GorgieJim said:

Davie Holt 88

He was the first Hearts player I was aware off as I got a picture card of him at Primary School.  

Lone Striker

Davie Holt looks to be the oldest of the famous players (87 I think).  A few in their early 80s.   There could  be a few  fringe players from the late 40s or early 50s still alive.

For some context of footballers reaching old age, Jimmy Millar of the Rangers passed away 15 months ago aged 88.   He was one of many with degenerative brain impairment, due to the era of heavy leather balls.  Freddie Glidden made it to 90 without the same suffering.

SOme photos were posted on here about 10 years ago from the WIllie Bauld dinners.  Amazing turnout by players from his era, most of them  now gone.  

dannymack
1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

think I was at his debut, midweek friendly against Eintracht Frankfurt from memory 1-1 draw

HeartsvEintrachtFrankfurt.thumb.jpg.7d97c6a699b1173a3ef337190404e489.jpg

48f9f975500b271fe623ee96a79bdbf0.thumb.jpg.dec47ac12156dbbe393629283a4d35d2.jpg

dannymack
1 hour ago, yennifrt said:

I'm 67 and these photos have just brought tears to my eyes. Thank you 

Happy tears yennifrt  👍 and of course happy to share 

JimmyCant
32 minutes ago, brownkg said:

I am sure he hit one down the slope at Easter road that ended up in the links :pleased:

Ernie started with Aberdeen and actually had a right good goal to game ratio for them. Was miles past his best when he got to us though.

i remember a guy called Don Murray who was another cart horse of a centre back, a wee bit after Ernie’s time but in the same mood, although he was a centre half mostly

I played a year at junior for Arniston Rangers and we played a Hearts 11 pre season once. I was a skinny wee 17 year old winger. Murray had just signed and we’d been warned about him. First 5 minutes and I’ve got the ball 30 yards out and face him up. He went right through me like a ton of bricks. I could barely walk for 3 weeks 😂 

dannymack
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Ernie started with Aberdeen and actually had a right good goal to game ratio for them. Was miles past his best when he got to us though.

i remember a guy called Don Murray who was another cart horse of a centre back, a wee bit after Ernie’s time but in the same mood, although he was a centre half mostly

I played a year at junior for Arniston Rangers and we played a Hearts 11 pre season once. I was a skinny wee 17 year old winger. Murray had just signed and we’d been warned about him. First 5 minutes and I’ve got the ball 30 yards out and face him up. He went right through me like a ton of bricks. I could barely walk for 3 weeks 😂 

Screenshot_20231108_091402_PhotoDirector.thumb.jpg.a956a28f1898f98df1bd99a312d691ff.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_091019_PhotoDirector.thumb.jpg.42c9ffc90b78323abc9da03d697090ba.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_090755_PhotoDirector.thumb.jpg.8c8d296401c32a5d122c62b80fb356c1.jpg

Doctor FinnBarr

Not the oldest but Jim Irvine is still on the go at 83, not seen him in his garden for a while though.

TorinoJambo
9 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

All passed away now but it was great to meet Jimmy Murray (scored Scotland’s first ever goal at the World Cup finals in ‘58), Lawrie Reilly and Tam Preston (both ex hibs players) at the Willie Bauld memorial dinner around 10 years ago. 

All great old guys👍 Lawrie and Tam were there purely out of respect for the king of Newcraighall and quite rightly got a great reception.

I spoke to Lawrie and Tam at a Willie Bauld dinner around 15 years ago. It was heart warming the respect shown by all to these great rivals.

joondalupjambo
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I remember a guy called Don Murray who was another cart horse of a centre back, a wee bit after Ernie’s time but in the same mood, although he was a centre half mostly

Came up from playing in Welsh Wales to shore up our defence during a bad period for us in the late 70's.  I liked him, hard as nails and did his job.  Only with us one season though.  Bet you were not the only one that suffered during that one year 🤣

Edited by joondalupjambo

Graham Thomson

Absolutely brilliant pics thank you for sharing.

Every time I look at them different memories come to mind

Even the ones I didn't see playing my old man had the 56 winning cup team memorised in my head. 

I'm 64. Thanks again 👍 

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, TorinoJambo said:

I spoke to Lawrie and Tam at a Willie Bauld dinner around 15 years ago. It was heart warming the respect shown by all to these great rivals.

That may have been the same one. Brilliant to have a blether with them. 

Lone Striker

Courtesy of a JKB'er.  I'll bet these 2 had many a tussle in their day

image.thumb.jpeg.c0ef2faf2d561519c82e36309f46f1dd.jpeg

Edited by Lone Striker

Lone Striker

... as is this.  2 Hearts legends who went on to have stellar careers in England

image.thumb.jpeg.9f13d34a007a890864c7369d83831db8.jpeg

TorinoJambo
27 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

That may have been the same one. Brilliant to have a blether with them. 

They were actually there several times. I was at the WB dinner quite a few times. Yours could have been one of several.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Korky said:

Should have been in our Hall of Fame years ago!

Surprised Davie Holt is not. He left the club not on the best of terms ... a common issue in that era. Bauld and Cruickie other examples. Our mean spirited Board did things like deduct the cost of the match ball from players' testimonial proceeds. The Board did not build on the success of seven trophies in eight years resulting in 36 trophy-less years.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Graham Thomson said:

Absolutely brilliant pics thank you for sharing.

Every time I look at them different memories come to mind

Even the ones I didn't see playing my old man had the 56 winning cup team memorised in my head. 

I'm 64. Thanks again 👍 

Great pictures. I also learnt the '56 team by rote at a very early age and can still reel it off though my memory fails me often on more recent things (like why am I going to the fridge?) The old 2-3-5 formation (almost universal until the mid sixties) made memorising a team easy compared to today when it is difficult to know who is playing where from game to game or indeed minute to minute. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Great pictures. I also learnt the '56 team by rote at a very early age and can still reel it off though my memory fails me often on more recent things (like why am I going to the fridge?) The old 2-3-5 formation (almost universal until the mid sixties) made memorising a team easy compared to today when it is difficult to know who is playing where from game to game or indeed minute to minute. 

That and subs, and the large number of them, being allowed.. 

Gorgiewave

Not the oldest but Peter McCloy is still among us aged 77. An unused substitute against Bayern Munich and I think the oldest player ever named in a Hearts matchday squad (42).

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Surprised Davie Holt is not. He left the club not on the best of terms ... a common issue in that era. Bauld and Cruickie other examples. Our mean spirited Board did things like deduct the cost of the match ball from players' testimonial proceeds. The Board did not build on the success of seven trophies in eight years resulting in 36 trophy-less years.

I think board members of Hearts at that time thought they were the club… the players were merely employees to be kept down and often seen as an inconvenience, and had no right to question them 

the posh bit
13 hours ago, dannymack said:

As posted on another thread regarding our 150th anniversary, i was thinking back to the 1974 Centenary when the club hosted events when players of yesteryear were invited on behalf of the club to celebrate the 100 years, no doubt at present the club will have plans to host similar events but I was wondering for now who is the oldest living ex-Hearts player that we are still fortunate to have with us ? 

These images below are from the 50s which give or take a year or two are 70 years ago, the younger players on show here are a decent enough gauge to look at but unfortunately simply due to the years rapidly whizzing by most if not all have passed. 

Screenshot_20220116-042634_Facebook.thumb.jpg.ec19ad23a617be3ecea083ecfe257cb8.jpg

img127.jpeg.a8a1e37c13871f1c93692d24079c4ed0.jpeg

FB_IMG_1586127419526.thumb.jpg.5b02399b8efda69aaf19ca96574e0d40.jpg

27(770x456).jpg.aaf4f7a9eb5014f875e2c34663e5bdb6.jpg

111(2).thumb.JPG.d36b2014ae3c57a4b503e75fc96d243b.JPG

HeartsSquadMay1958readyforCanada.jpg.20bb6678ca179447514181b4a6a38e91.jpg

10252116_610282532381903_8602868591487876697_n.jpg.be76b693688e6c1da39521a7583e16c6.jpg

Motherwell(N)4-2(SLCF)23_10.1954WinningTeamGroupPict.jpg.abaf903129d87a6560d21eb4ac93fe8b.jpg

Screenshot_20221203-232227_YouCamPerfect.thumb.jpg.c5d074651fd03a30ae29e3c1a078fed7.jpg

You deserve a sub-forum, pal. Your contributions are excellent. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

Not the oldest but Peter McCloy is still among us aged 77. An unused substitute against Bayern Munich and I think the oldest player ever named in a Hearts matchday squad (42).

Thats astonishing.  I used to think he looked quite old when he played for Rangers against us in the 1976 Cup Final - but he was actually just 29.   Maybe just the passage of time altering my memory 😏