Jorge Grant

Bongo 1874

Pete Elliott

I’m one of his biggest critics on here. For me it’s that he doesn’t offer enough in whatever position he seems to play.

When he plays in the number 8 he (almost always) doesn’t work hard enough. The one exception is the Celtic game where his workrate was incredible and it was like he’d had a body transplant with 05/06 Hartley. He drifts in and out of the game and is on the periphery too much. For me, Hoff does the box to box number 8 much better.

When he plays in the 10 he doesn’t have enough of a creative edge or goal threat. It feels like most of the things don’t come off. The number 10 is the focal point of the team and everything needs to go through him. He’s not good enough to be that focal point. Don’t feel his shooting and finishing is good enough to be a 10 either.

I think he has improved in the past three months. I used to dread seeing his name on the teamsheet. Now I don’t feel that way but he’s a part within the squad we can upgrade.

All of the above are my opinions and I understand others see him differently. I’m just trying to explain where I’m coming from.

Byyy The Light
12 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

I’m one of his biggest critics on here. For me it’s that he doesn’t offer enough in whatever position he seems to play.

When he plays in the number 8 he (almost always) doesn’t work hard enough. The one exception is the Celtic game where his workrate was incredible and it was like he’d had a body transplant with 05/06 Hartley. He drifts in and out of the game and is on the periphery too much. For me, Hoff does the box to box number 8 much better.

When he plays in the 10 he doesn’t have enough of a creative edge or goal threat. It feels like most of the things don’t come off. The number 10 is the focal point of the team and everything needs to go through him. He’s not good enough to be that focal point. Don’t feel his shooting and finishing is good enough to be a 10 either.

I think he has improved in the past three months. I used to dread seeing his name on the teamsheet. Now I don’t feel that way but he’s a part within the squad we can upgrade.

All of the above are my opinions and I understand others see him differently. I’m just trying to explain where I’m coming from.

I kind of get where you are coming from with this. I often feel he’s not on the same wavelength as his team mates and either doesn’t play passes he should or tries to play too many flicks or first time passes that aren’t on. It’s like a decision making, timing thing. Hard to put the finger on.

I think he’s got talent it just seems not to have clicked for him. I’d like to see him try to ghost past players and drive with the ball a bit more to be more effective.

6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I kind of get where you are coming from with this. I often feel he’s not on the same wavelength as his team mates and either doesn’t play passes he should or tries to play too many flicks or first time passes that aren’t on. It’s like a decision making, timing thing. Hard to put the finger on.

I think he’s got talent it just seems not to have clicked for him. I’d like to see him try to ghost past players and drive with the ball a bit more to be more effective.

Where I’m at as well. I had wrote him off before the season started and he has improved. Just feel he’s a talented guy and should be producing more than he should. 

Pete Elliott
6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I think he could be effective at a lower level as a number 10 against poorer defenders but sadly just not good to take us to the next level we aspire to.

Seems a good guy though so hope he goes on to have a successful career whatever happens.

PapaShango
17 hours ago, Pete Elliott said:

False

What's false about it? He has played from the start in more games recently than started on the bench.

Bongo 1874
On 27/01/2024 at 17:19, Bongo 1874 said:

Been critical of this man,but thought he was outstanding today good link up play,and what a penalty.

Keep it up 👍

MOTM for me.

@Chimp

@OmiyaHearts

@jamboozy

Evidence i get things wrong and happy to admit it.

Others not so.

I'm not perfect,I have my faults 👍.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Pete Elliott
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

What's false about it? He has played from the start in more games recently than started on the bench.

You said he had started the majority of the games on our  run. He hasn’t.

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, Pete Elliott said:

You said he had started the majority of the games on our  run. He hasn’t.

4 out of last 7 he's started for sure.

upgotheheads

Something I think we might overlook is that players are still developing into their late twenties. Grant is 29 so he is probably at his peak and should hopefully maintain that for a couple of years. The same is true of Forrest and even Shanks, who are both in that age category. If you look at the ages of most of our first-team picks they still have the potential to get (even) better.

Pete Elliott
8 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

4 out of last 7 he's started for sure.

Yep but only 5 out of the last 11  (which is how long we’ve been unbeaten.)

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, Pete Elliott said:

Yep but only 5 out of the last 11  (which is how long we’ve been unbeaten.)

fair enough.  does seem he's about 50/50.  For me, he's a decent player to have in the squad and has contributed when called upon.

3 hours ago, Section Q said:

Weird looking f..cker............oot....!

Just needs to trim his beard at the sides.

Mr Rabbit

I like him and he’s clearly a very good footballer. However think he has struggled with the lack of space in Scotland but has started to adapt.

Regardless I think he’ll be moved on in the summer as I think Naismith thinks we can do better, which is one of the reasons we’ve brought in Fraser just now and Dhanda in the summer. Whether either is an upgrade time will tell but it’s just how I see it.