New penalty taker?

tartofmidlothian

1 minute ago, suds66 said:

Three he's tried to place, jut put your foot through the ball next time.

I thought that was the obvious choice tonight.....keeper was jumping about like mad , he was always diving early...straight down the middle..goal 🤷

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tartofmidlothian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Liam1953

• AlimOzturk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, GYL said:

I thought that was the obvious choice tonight.....keeper was jumping about like mad , he was always diving early...straight down the middle..goal 🤷

Yeah, agree.

tartofmidlothian
20 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

yes, needs someone else  - Kingsley?

Not after the 2020 cup final...

hmfcbilly
10 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Chilavert, Chilean. Pens and free kicks. 

Edit: Paraguayan

👍

Armageddon

The predictable height of his pens is diabolical. Low and typically in that corner, shat the bed on his second pen miss and went down the middle, tonight the same low and keepers right.  Next time he’s clearly going low and to the keepers left.

Get the ball from A to B as fast as you can - batter the shite out of it!!

11 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

🤣🤣 love this comment...I'd give tge gig to Zander just because he seems mad enough to do it and succeed. Was it not a South American keeper, chalivert? Who used to take them regularly? I could be wro g with the name but I'm sure there was at least one who took regular pens as I was growing up in the 80s and 90s

Hamish McAlpine took the Dundee United penalties for a period. They were never subtle. With regards Shankland, it's statistically highly unlikely he would miss 4 in a row. Anyone replacing him however would be under pressure and would be subject to the normal probability of missing a penalty.

soonbe110
1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Vargas, maybe? Did Halkett not used to take them for Livi, am I imagining that?

Won’t take them any more.  Didn’t volunteer in cup final shootout otherwise we might have won it. 

To be fair might be in the minority here but I'm keeping him on them.

Pens are so much about confidence and I think he's maybe second guessing himself a bit. 

If he's confident and still wants them as captain and a senior pro in the team I'm still giving them too him. He's your number 9 and yeah if we get one Saturday I'd let him have it if he wants it

He will stay on them no doubt. 

That was by far his worse pen tonight though, didnt look his usual confident self. 

JamboNation

Not for me ,Dont trust anyone else tbf even Kane misses them just needs get on the training pitch and take penalties  for an hour straight ,  it should be Shanks decision 

heartsfc_fan

Grant or Forrest.

Have a feeling someone like Vargas would either burst the net or burst someones face behind the goal and miss.

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

He clearly can take a pen. You don’t score 15 in a row if you can’t. 😂

He stays on them. 

55 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah. Keep the faith. 

What Naismith said after the game. 

Bunny Munro

I'm not confident with him on them now, but I think he'll take the next one. I recon a wee break would take the pressure off.

Kingsley has scored a few since the cup final shocker. Haring takes a good one. Halkett did take them for Livi but doesn't seem keen anymore. Boyce has never filled me with confidence and I think missing the late penalty in the 3-2 defeat to Celtic has robbed him of any confidence in finishing. 

Edited by Bunny Munro

Red Card Ref

Shanks has only missed the target once in 18 attempts. 2 were saved. One of those saves could be considered lucky, the ball hitting the goalkeepers foot as he dived the other way. The other, today, was a good save down at the bottom corner. What can you do? Sometimes goalies save them. He's hit them all pretty sweet, apart from the Hibs one. I'm taking a 15/18 penalty taker all day.

Uncle Buck

I think Grant fancied it tonight. Seemed to grab the ball at first but Shankland took over.

Watt-Zeefuik

Nah. Tonight's was well-hit. The keeper just made a good guess. It happens.

moonraker
52 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Its a dilemma  . Not let him take the next penalty and he cant prove he can score them or  take the risk and he blows it again. ?   Im not sure whats happened to him lately.  He seemed really slow and listless tonight. 

Actually  been ill ?

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, moonraker said:

Actually  been ill ?

Well the rumour mill was questioning if that was true .  But it might explain his performance the night . Hope he gets back to 💯 thiugh 

Jambof3tornado

2 missed he shouldnt have had the  chance to miss the 3rd. Stuttered run up keeper commits early roll it in. I know pens keep him ticking over goals wise but somebody else next time thanks.

John Findlay

Not for me 

Lawrence Shankland will come good again on penalties.

Considering how many we've wasted now I really hope we let Gordon take one at Tynecastle at some point. If Zander ever lets him back in the team that is.

Selkirkhmfc1874

I'm sure next penalty we get Shanks will step up and put it away , he's a confident striker who believes in himself 

Arthur Morgan

He doesn't look confident though when taking pens now imo. I would take him off them for a wee while. 

SectionDJambo

Haven’t noticed this being asked.

I can’t remember any Hearts player missing 3 penalties in a row. Anyone seen this before? Or has it happened before?

I'm old enough to remember seeing Donald Ford score 3 in one game at Cappilow.

Shankland very rarely mixes it up when it comes to his penalties.

8/10 he goes to the keepers right, and unless it's low, hard, and into the corner, the keeper will save it.

I wouldn't want anyone else taking our pens, but Shankland needs to start hitting a few in training.

3 strikes you’re out sorry shanks! Got to be someone else who fancies it, Grant? Cochrane?

colinmorewasgash

Hope we don't go to pens in cup we are screwed. 

Remember there was a time when we had plenty of options for pens. Suppose if you have lots of similar players who don't score very often its difficult and although vargas and boyce are strikers one is new to club other is another on the always injured list.

tartofmidlothian
5 hours ago, Red Card Ref said:

Shanks has only missed the target once in 18 attempts. 2 were saved. One of those saves could be considered lucky, the ball hitting the goalkeepers foot as he dived the other way. The other, today, was a good save down at the bottom corner. What can you do? Sometimes goalies save them. He's hit them all pretty sweet, apart from the Hibs one. I'm taking a 15/18 penalty taker all day.

Naismith's said he's staying on them, he compared it to Shankland going through a dry spell at the start of the season. Looking at tonight's replay you make a fair point, it was more about a good save than a bad penalty.

7 hours ago, suds66 said:

Three he's tried to place, jut put your foot through the ball next time.

Mate, he knows where the net is, he's just having a wobble. He'll not miss the next one. 

RustyRightPeg

Not for me. Salah misses a few for Liverpool and they never take him off them. Just leave him on them, once he scores he’ll be grand again.

Samuel Camazzola

If he wants it, he definitely stays on them. Different story if he was trying to be clever with one step walk-up or Panenka's into the keeper's arms. 

It's mainly a confidence thing. 

If any strike is above waist height and to a corner, no keeper saves them. 

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think Grant fancied it tonight. Seemed to grab the ball at first but Shankland took over.

No - he was just making sure the Dundee player didn’t mess Shankland around when the penalty was given. Made sure he had the ball so when awarded Shankland didn’t need to wait or be messed about with.

TexasAndy

At the very least it will be discussed in training.  I think it is still Shanks decision at this time.  The issue for me is that I don't see another obvious candidate.  The 3 misses haven't cost us at all but there will be at least one big penalty between now and end of season.  It will look like we are doing the poznan coz nobody will be able to watch!!

Mr Sifter

Keep him on them. When he finally hangs up his boots and looks at the penalties he took for Hearts, he will have scored far far more than he missed. 

And subtlety, a word in his ear right now confirming our faith in him could be exactly the type of thing that persuaded him to see out his career at Hearts. Would he get such backing at another club? It needs to be drilled home to him at every opportunity how much he’s loved here at Hearts, and wee things like this are an ideal opportunity to show that. Make him aware in no uncertain terms that we have faith in him to come good, and we’ve got his back in the meantime. 

For me, he stays on pens. 

Japan Jambo

Prefer to see that as a good save rather than a miss. If he is comfortable stepping up leave him on them.

Disser Pointon

Thought it was a pretty poor penalty at the game but, having watched it on the highlights, it was hit well and in the corner, the keeper just guessed it right.

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Mate, he knows where the net is, he's just having a wobble. He'll not miss the next one. 

No doubt!

Ex member of the SaS

The penalty was poor but in fairness to Shanks I think the keeper moved before the kick. They mentioned it in commentary too. I have never understood why they don't practice putting the ball into the top corner, practice often enough and it becomes second nature.

Silly to change from Shanks. His conversion rate is around 84%.

The three he missed weren’t terrible penalties. Two on target and one off the post. 

Finally, taking him off penalties would not be helpful in the current situation with the transfer window still open. 

tartofmidlothian
1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Keep him on them. When he finally hangs up his boots and looks at the penalties he took for Hearts, he will have scored far far more than he missed. 

And subtlety, a word in his ear right now confirming our faith in him could be exactly the type of thing that persuaded him to see out his career at Hearts. Would he get such backing at another club? It needs to be drilled home to him at every opportunity how much he’s loved here at Hearts, and wee things like this are an ideal opportunity to show that. Make him aware in no uncertain terms that we have faith in him to come good, and we’ve got his back in the meantime. 

For me, he stays on pens. 

23 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

Thought it was a pretty poor penalty at the game but, having watched it on the highlights, it was hit well and in the corner, the keeper just guessed it right.

Yeah, this is where I'm at now after seeing the highlights myself.

13 hours ago, ramrod said:

End of the day he's missed his last 3 and it's not cost us a single point.

and only by good fortune has this stopped many more folk saying the same thing - that three misses on the trot would have the taker taken off duty at any other club ( temporarily ?)

12 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Boyce when back, otherwise give Vargas a shot.

My only problem with Kenny, is he blutters it over the bar.

Boyce ????? hahahaha i get your rye tongue in cheek comment, as many folk dont remember just how many pens he was missing before injured ! 

12 hours ago, hearts00 said:

He will stay on them no doubt. 

That was by far his worse pen tonight though, didnt look his usual confident self. 

And yet if the keeper had guessed wrong and went the other way, folk would be saying it was a great penalty.

Americana
13 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

yes, needs someone else  - Kingsley?

Thats a yes from me.