Another "talent share" deal - Burnley & Dundee

Lone Striker

Lone Striker

Burnley have agreed a talent share deal with Scottish Premiership side Dundee.

The Clarets have already sent young duo Dara Costelloe and Owen Dodgson to Dens Park on loan this month.

Burnley's owners ALK Capital say the move will create "fresh opportunities for both clubs to pursue their shared ambitions".

Chairman Alan Pace has previously spoken of his desire to partner with other clubs in order to support Burnley's development.

And the Clarets have previously formed ties with Ayr United, Portadown, Llandudno and Cobh Ramblers.

It is understood ALK will assist with the running of Dundee but the deal is not thought to involve actually buying a stake in the Dark Blues, who are seventh in the table - seven points adrift of fifth-placed St Mirren with four games in hand.

Five Scottish teams will enter European competition next season.

"We are thrilled to embark on this new journey with Dundee who, like Burnley, share a rich history and passionate fanbase," said Pace.

"This relationship enhances our collective strength and will bring about some fantastic opportunities for shared growth and success.

"The Scottish Premiership is an excellent proving ground to progress young and emerging talent, as well as providing a potential gateway to European competition."

In addition to sending their promising players to Scotland, the deal is expected to put Burnley in pole position to sign players from Dundee should they reach the required level.

"Joining forces with a club of this stature is a real statement of intent and one which we hope will support our journey towards greater heights in the future," added Dundee chairman Tim Keyes.

LarrysRightFoot

Are we in the early stages of turning into a freeder club league? 

I would like us to sit this out and see what develops . I have my doubts about these deals . If it turns out to be a good thing then we can always get involved ………. Really not convinced though 

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It would appear so 

LarrysRightFoot
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I would like us to sit this out and see what develops . I have my doubts about these deals . If it turns out to be a good thing then we can always get involved ………. Really not convinced though 

The Hibs & Brighton thing never worked out though the Bournemouth link up is much more official and intertwined. 

I know there’s rules on multi club ownership etc but there’s always ways round it it would seem. 

It’s not something I think should be allowed to happen imo. 

Dundee?

The club that's been dying a slow death for the last 50 years?

That Dundee?

The decision makers at Burnley need help.

Urgently.

colinmorewasgash

So does wee Gordon have a new job with burnley too now as adviser with his celtic and dundee roles too including his son at tims. Did anything ever get done about that or as usual swept away.

Section Q
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Dundee?

That Dundee?

Urgently.

My first thoughts.

48 minutes ago, martoon said:

Dundee?

That Dundee?

Urgently.

Well there's a couple of Latter Day Saints churches in Dundee, which probably appeals to the Burnley owner...

Mikey1874

The 2 new signings from Burnley both played in defeat to Kilmarnock. One started. Another sub 57 minutes. 

Bull's-eye

If a club does ok with this sort of thing then Rangers or Celtic won't like it and the rules will change, actually surprised they haven't put the kibosh on it already, just in case. 

1971fozzy

I mistakenly posted this in another thread without seeing this one.

I can see this being terrible for the clubs. At least Dundee haven’t sold part of their club for it unlike Hibs.  I would never want this for us.  Getting a load of gambles in the door and that’s what it equates too. 
Hibs dans are dillusional. They are w**k**g themselves into a frenzy about how these signings will raise morale and the levels of existing players etc etc. 3rd is a stick on for them blah blah blah.

I see it as the complete opposite. 

Time will tell but looks like more of the shit clubs up here will be targetted . Can imagine the likes of Livingston, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd, Ross County  joining them.

The weak , bottom 6 type clubs (and I do include hibs in that)

Edited by 1971fozzy

joondalupjambo

Did we not have some kind of deal with an Aussie club or am I thinking that because we are signing a few from the A-League?

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Did we not have some kind of deal with an Aussie club or am I thinking that because we are signing a few from the A-League?

We’ve not signed more than one player from the same club I don’t think. 

Certainly no public partnership in place. 

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

Two things:

Firstly, bloody Dundee.  Hibs invented this, and that shouldn't be forgotten.  First everyone stole their floodlight idea, now some teams are starting to pass the ball to one another - another Hibernian innovation.  Now this?  They need a good patent lawyer.

Secondly, on your point.  Hmmmmm, I don't like it.  I know we need to use the English loan system - Lembi looks a good find, and after Simms, Cochrane and to an extent, Hill.  It's a good market.  But then English teams use this market themselves don't they (think Newcastle have a Chelsea youth on loan..?).  BUt to have an official tie up?  I'm ok with having a relationship.  But an official tie up?  I think you lose identity.  Are you getting players in the profile you want or being sent guys and needing to fit them in?

19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Two things:

Firstly, bloody Dundee.  Hibs invented this, and that shouldn't be forgotten.  First everyone stole their floodlight idea, now some teams are starting to pass the ball to one another - another Hibernian innovation.  Now this?  They need a good patent lawyer.

Secondly, on your point.  Hmmmmm, I don't like it.  I know we need to use the English loan system - Lembi looks a good find, and after Simms, Cochrane and to an extent, Hill.  It's a good market.  But then English teams use this market themselves don't they (think Newcastle have a Chelsea youth on loan..?).  BUt to have an official tie up?  I'm ok with having a relationship.  But an official tie up?  I think you lose identity.  Are you getting players in the profile you want or being sent guys and needing to fit them in?

I agree and I think that is how it will all unfold too . I do not fancy it either . I suspect we will still be in a better shape than Hibs and I would be extremely surprised if we were “ left behind “ like some are suggesting . Like yourself , identity is too important a part of Hearts for me . I suppose what I am trying to say is , I am glad we can sit back and watch what this new reality looks like from a safe distance . As a strong advocate of the 90 % FOH agreement , I am just happy that the decision lies in our hands 

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I agree and I think that is how it will all unfold too . I do not fancy it either . I suspect we will still be in a better shape than Hibs and I would be extremely surprised if we were “ left behind “ like some are suggesting . Like yourself , identity is too important a part of Hearts for me . I suppose what I am trying to say is , I am glad we can sit back and watch what this new reality looks like from a safe distance . As a strong advocate of the 90 % FOH agreement , I am just happy that the decision lies in our hands 

Abso-bloody-lutely.  Identity in terms of our core, of course, is important.  Massively and the real feeling behind it.  I don't want to be part of the globalisation of capitalist football.  Just part of the machine.  An olde inn which looks so inviting from the outside then you go in and see it's another Green King serving shit lager and microwave burgers like all the other pubs.

But also, from a nuts and bolts football point of view.  You want to build something.  You need continuity and also a plan.  Now, I know people hate our recruitment, but the truth is most people are unrealistic idiots.  Look at Hibs.  They have a manager who rigidly plays 442.  What if he's sent players who dont fit that.  A number 10.  Or a wingback.  Or whatever.  Are we now saying the feeder clubs need to be playing the same formation and style as the head of the empire?  So like our B and 18s should play roughly the same as our 1sts, Hibs need to play the same as Bournemouth!?!?!?

Bazzas right boot

38 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Two things:

Maybe, but I wouldn't be against it with a team like Arsenal. 

It would need to be their better loan players and not the ones 3/4 years away from the team. Nae Randel types.

Guys like Nikeitha (sp) went on loan to Leeds, Smith Rowe was with Huddersfield Town and Leizpig, kwior to a few foreign clubs.

If it was a club at a high level and we were getting  their top young talent then it could hugely benefit us.

If it's a shitty club and we are getting the 2nd teir of youngster's then it's of no benefit.

Biffa Bacon

Naismith recently commented on Hearts B team, they could win the lowland league 5 years in a row, but if they do not produce players to fit into the first team, it will be a failure.

I see any pyramid team not at the top, as being something similar. Their role is to produce players for the top team and their success becomes secondary. Our best season of youngsters coming through was when we had no choice, through a transfer embargo, with a points deduction that saw us relegated. But in regards of player development it was a success. It would not be tolerated in today's climate.

TexasAndy

These deals just make Scottish Football a bigger joke than it already is.    

25 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This will ultimately prove to have been an incredibly sound decision. 

Biffa Bacon
14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Are we now saying the feeder clubs need to be playing the same formation and style as the head of the empire?  So like our B and 18s should play roughly the same as our 1sts, Hibs need to play the same as Bournemouth!?!?!?

Yes, that's the way I see it. Like the old reserve teams, used to help players returning from injury as well as bringing younger players through. There is no point playing different systems and expecting a smooth transition.

It raises a huge question as to what is expected of management team, are they directed to follow the overall model or do they have some autonomy? Would they be sacked for poor results, when they are just following direction, maybe contrary to what they see as the best choices.

RustyRightPeg
14 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

These deals just make Scottish Football a bigger joke than it already is.    

And how's that?

TexasAndy
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

And how's that?

Eh two of our bigger clubs in Scotland are now feeder clubs for two absolute English football minnows.  How do you think this looks?

RustyRightPeg
Just now, TexasAndy said:

Eh two of our bigger clubs in Scotland are now feeder clubs for two absolute English football minnows.  How do you think this looks?

Who cares how it looks? Reality is, these clubs have billionaire owners and that's the lay of the land. 

If they are loaning better players into our league, the standard goes up...

They aren't guaranteed success, and I know McKinlay spoke about it at the AGM but I personally would be annoyed if Hearts didn't explore this and got left behind due to being stubborn.  

Burnley and Bournemouth fringe players…

Champions League here we come :vrface:

Edited by BigAlim

9 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It will end up in folks watching  ‘B’ team games only in order to see home reared talent.

vegas-voss

Assist with the running

Sounds like a takeover without going through the loopholes.I had wondered where the money was coming from for their new stadium.

vegas-voss
13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Who cares how it looks? Reality is, these clubs have billionaire owners and that's the lay of the land. 

They aren't guaranteed success, and I know McKinlay spoke about it at the AGM but I personally would be annoyed if Hearts didn't explore this and got left behind due to being stubborn.  

You wouldn't get left behind what's the rush with being first if it proves successful I would expect there could be things that are explored.

Edited by vegas-voss

TexasAndy
12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It kinda matters when we are trying to renew TV deals etc and we are looked upon as small fry.

We_are_the_Hearts

Its not so long ago Dundee would have beat Burnley and Hibs would have beat Bournemouth. Suppose that's just a sign of how money has changed the game

LarrysRightFoot
9 hours ago, Sooks said:

The Hibs & Brighton thing never worked out though the Bournemouth link up is much more official and intertwined. 

I know there’s rules on multi club ownership etc but there’s always ways round it it would seem. 

It’s not something I think should be allowed to happen imo. 

LarrysRightFoot

To me it’s all a sign that the game needs proper regulation that safeguards it, ensures it’ is sustainable and ensures it is competitive. 

10 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

It kinda matters when we are trying to renew TV deals etc and we are looked upon as small fry.

TV companies only care about two clubs when handing out new deals.

This partnership can only be good for Dundee.  More money and more players to choose from.   All teams in our league loan players from club down south, how does it look we are about to loan a player who cannae get a game for a team struggling in league one? 

I agree with Sooks though I would rather see how it pans out with the wee team and scumdee before going baws deep ourselves.  Maybe it it works out bigger clubs than Bournemouth and Burnley will be looking to do business similarly up here. 

Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

To me it’s all a sign that the game needs proper regulation that safeguards it, ensures it’ is sustainable and ensures it is competitive. 

When hasn’t that always been the case?  Plenty clubs have went into admin, almost to the wall over the past 20 years, there’s been no regulation to stop that happening and the leagues not been competitive since the early 90s either. 

stuart500

Surely it's better to remain independent and be able to do loan deals with or sell to ANY club. 

Dundee apparently have a few decent youngsters. So if any of them reach a position of being potential EPL standard they will automatically go to Burnley rather than the highest bidder? Not the best financial position to be in.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, stuart500 said:

Surely it's better to remain independent and be able to do loan deals with or sell to ANY club. 

Dundee apparently have a few decent youngsters. So if any of them reach a position of being potential EPL standard they will automatically go to Burnley rather than the highest bidder? Not the best financial position to be in.

Or on the flip side they will get to keep them longer and learn their trade at Dundee as Burnley can wait as oppose to losing them to a "gamble" by an English club

LarrysRightFoot
6 minutes ago, May98 said:

When hasn’t that always been the case?  Plenty clubs have went into admin, almost to the wall over the past 20 years, there’s been no regulation to stop that happening and the leagues not been competitive since the early 90s either. 

I should have said ‘another’ sign

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

But also, from a nuts and bolts football point of view.  You want to build something.  You need continuity and also a plan.  Now, I know people hate our recruitment, but the truth is most people are unrealistic idiots.  Look at Hibs.  They have a manager who rigidly plays 442.  What if he's sent players who dont fit that.  A number 10.  Or a wingback.  Or whatever.  Are we now saying the feeder clubs need to be playing the same formation and style as the head of the empire?  So like our B and 18s should play roughly the same as our 1sts, Hibs need to play the same as Bournemouth!?!?!?

You've hit the nail on the head there. Also would be tricky for fans (especially younger ones) to take to the players knowing fine that they're going to bugger off back down south in six months' time.

5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

You've hit the nail on the head there. Also would be tricky for fans (especially younger ones) to take to the players knowing fine that they're going to bugger off back down south in six months' time.

We have just done exactly that with our right back and also last season with Hill?

7 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I should have said ‘another’ sign

Then I agree mate, yeah. 

DalryJambo

This needs to be addressed ASAP. Now it might be great, help raise the standards with the leagues and finally help the clubs make more cash and invest it into the future of the clubs.....it could also completely undermine the integrity of the league, become little more than an English (as in English clubs not English players) reserve league and make it possible for owners to siphon off money from the clubs with very little investment back into the infrastructure.

If we end up in a position where 7 to 9 clubs in our league have these arrangements in place, and each club has 10 plus players in their squads who are on loan from a partner club where does that leave the clubs without these arrangements? Will they be forced to sell themselves down the river, jump into bed with a random investment group, just to keep up?

Ironically it's probably just ourselves, Rangers and Celtic who are currently not needing to do this, but could we be forced into it just to keep up?

Like a lot of things in life, this cloud go really well or be a complete and utter disaster, but the SFA and the SPFL really need to get ahead of the curve, put proper safe guards in place or the league could become a complete joke.

Maybe they could limit the number of 'loan' players from a single club or group to 3?

43 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Its not so long ago Dundee would have beat Burnley and Hibs would have beat Bournemouth. Suppose that's just a sign of how money has changed the game

Yip.  Utterly depressing isn't it.

DalryJambo

Just had another thought as well, if 6 to 8 Scottish Premiership clubs end up with 10+ loan players filling up their squads, what does that do to the local youngsters coming through the youth setups?

This could have long term implications on the Scottish players coming through our clubs in the future.

Hopefully the SFA can put a limit in terms of maximum loan players coming from one club/group and Fifa/UEFA keep the home grown player rules in place as well. There might be away to control this but it could get away from teams very quickly.

The SFA also need to ensure all funds raised from loan fees/bonuses and any agreed future development fee percentages are all 100% required go go through the clubs. If owners are able to create shadow companies to manage loan 'commission' then its an easy way you take money out the game. Club indebtedness and Financial fair play rules should also be reviewed to ensure they are tight enough.

3 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

Just had another thought as well, if 6 to 8 Scottish Premiership clubs end up with 10+ loan players filling up their squads, what does that do to the local youngsters coming through the youth setups?

This could have long term implications on the Scottish players coming through our clubs in the future.

Hopefully the SFA can put a limit in terms of maximum loan players coming from one club/group and Fifa/UEFA keep the home grown player rules in place as well. There might be away to control this but it could get away from teams very quickly.

The SFA also need to ensure all funds raised from loan fees/bonuses and any agreed future development fee percentages are all 100% required go go through the clubs. If owners are able to create shadow companies to manage loan 'commission' then its an easy way you take money out the game. Club indebtedness and Financial fair play rules should also be reviewed to ensure they are tight enough.

Arent there already restrictions in place?  Genuine question - just assume there are...

Agree with you here though.  Don't want to become a feeder league.  The whole world of football is completely depressing.  And anyone who genuinely supports Scottish football but is also an EPL and Champs League fanboy needs a good look at themselves.

Guys who talk down Scottish football, complain about it, but put money into the money machines of EPL and UEFA are the epitomy of the problem we face.

Berrassobad
Just now, TheBigO said:

Arent there already restrictions in place?  Genuine question - just assume there are...

Agree with you here though.  Don't want to become a feeder league.  The whole world of football is completely depressing.  And anyone who genuinely supports Scottish football but is also an EPL and Champs League fanboy needs a good look at themselves.

Guys who talk down Scottish football, complain about it, but put money into the money machines of EPL and UEFA are the epitomy of the problem we face.

and i get banned off a thread for swearing - pish is obv allowed

JamboRossi79
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

There are according to this, only 4 from another country/league by the looks of it
Loan regulations amended for 2020/21 | SPFL

Talent share = we’ll take your best young players for a cut price and give you a shot of some of our less exciting ones to develop for us, if they turn out to be good then we can either integrate them ourselves or sell them to a richer club than you.

I honestly don’t think these kind of deals will benefit the Scottish clubs long term. See if it’s Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc maybe theres something exciting there with access to some of the worlds most elite youth systems but developing guys who are likely miles off being ready for yo-yo clubs like Burnley with probably little chance of getting the better ones permanently isn’t much of a dealbreaker. 

This isn’t a dig at the loan system in general, if they improve your team then it’s a good deal, we’ve benefited from it on occasion but for every Alex Cochrane or Ellis Simms theres a Ben Woodburn or Connor Randall. I wouldn’t want to have to shoehorn these guys into the team every single season as part of a “partnership” with an EPL club that view you as a glorified reserve team. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong who knows.

DalryJambo
1 minute ago, JamboRossi79 said:

There are according to this, only 4 from another country/league by the looks of it
Loan regulations amended for 2020/21 | SPFL

OK, so a club can only have 6 players on loan at any one time (7 if one is a goalkeeper),  and only 4 from the same club.

As long as that doesn't change, let them fill thier boots. This can only help raise the standards of the league, and hopefully the coaching etc.