*** Asian Cup / Rowles and Atkinson (merged) ***

jamdunc

AGoodLaugh
On 10/01/2024 at 11:42, My half sister said:

Looking at the draw Australia have, Syria, India and Uzbekistan, they are going to be away a while! There is basically only 3 teams in it, Japan, S Korea and Oz. What is the point? 

There's been 5 different winners in the last 7 tournaments; none of which were South Korea. Doesn't seem that bad? 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• jamdunc

• Jamboross

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/01/2024 at 17:20, Benny Klack said:

Both Rowles and Atkinson have progressed and looked good under Naismith in my opinion. 

Rowles looked a player when he first arrived but lost his confidence and his way under Neilson.

I’ve always liked NA - he’s obviously better going forward but I think there is a sense of chaos and unpredictability about him that opposing defenders can’t handle. 

Atkinsons a decent player and will improve - have the new guy as backup but unless the newbie shows a lot while NA is away then he shouldnt be the automatic starter just because he comes from the EPL. Thankfully for NA he doesnt miss too many HMFC games due to the winter closedown. 

Mikey1874

All group games 11.30am starting this morning. Should be streams.

20240113_004018.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

braveheart
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

All group games 11.30am starting this morning. Should be streams.

20240113_004018.jpg

I see on an app I have for seeing new stadiums that our former player Hans eskillson was at last night's game.he will be at all 3 games today probably.

Mikey1874
Just now, Niemi’s gloves said:

Rowles starts ( alongside Harry Souttar). Natty on the bench. 

20240113_104551.jpg

The Black Prince

Worst Oz has played in a long time. Doesn't help that Arnie left some of our most creative players at home.

jamboinglasgow

1-0 Australia after Indian keeper knocks it into the path of Jackson Irvine.

Shame for India but only so long you can go backs against the wall throwing everything into blocking it. One of the Indian players seems to have taken every knock possible and still going.

As I understand it, Dhanda qualifies for India through his parents(?). Given the lack of players playing at a reasonable level there, I'm surprised he's not had a cap yet. Should we sign him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some caps fairly quickly. 

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

As I understand it, Dhanda qualifies for India through his parents(?). Given the lack of players playing at a reasonable level there, I'm surprised he's not had a cap yet. Should we sign him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some caps fairly quickly. 

He cant play for India without giving up his Uk citizenship for Indian citizenship. Indian law does not allow players to play for the national side if they dont have Indian citizenship (and cant be duel nationality.)

There are quite a few European born players who could play for India but wont give up their citizenship of their birth countries as it severely restricts where they can play (if Dhanda did that, he would have to apply for a work permit on appeal to play in the UK due to India being so far down the FIFA rankings. 

Its a shame as Dhanda has said he wants to play for India but to do what is required would caused far too many problems.

6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He cant play for India without giving up his Uk citizenship for Indian citizenship. Indian law does not allow players to play for the national side if they dont have Indian citizenship (and cant be duel nationality.)

There are quite a few European born players who could play for India but wont give up their citizenship of their birth countries as it severely restricts where they can play (if Dhanda did that, he would have to apply for a work permit on appeal to play in the UK due to India being so far down the FIFA rankings. 

Its a shame as Dhanda has said he wants to play for India but to do what is required would caused far too many problems.

Seriously? Wow. I didn't realise it was that messy to do it! I assumed like most countries, they'd want to make it as easy as possible so as to improve their national teams prospects. 

Thats really sad :( 

Mikey1874
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Seriously? Wow. I didn't realise it was that messy to do it! I assumed like most countries, they'd want to make it as easy as possible so as to improve their national teams prospects. 

India seems pretty confident with its 1.6 billion population 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

India seems pretty confident with its 1.6 billion population 

They must be. With their entire national team all playing in their domestic league... 

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, think I read the Indian FA want it changed but they need the Indian parliament to change the law.

This article explains it better (including the views of Dhanda.)

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/39144924/explained-aiff-looking-attract-pio-oci-play-india-football-national-team

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah, think I read the Indian FA want it changed but they need the Indian parliament to change the law.

This article explains it better (including the views of Dhanda.)

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/39144924/explained-aiff-looking-attract-pio-oci-play-india-football-national-team

Its insane that they haven't given their national team some kind of special dispensation. Given India's size, it could be a great way to improve their national team and generate increased domestic interest (as they won't be shite). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_diaspora

Just need to look at the net they would be casting with the diaspora, 1.8m in the UK alone. Appreciate India has 1.4 BILLION but they're not really a football nation. 

Their FA president must be pulling his hair out :lol: I assume its an oversight, but if not, the phrase "cutting your nose off to spite your face" comes to mind. 

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its insane that they haven't given their national team some kind of special dispensation. Given India's size, it could be a great way to improve their national team and generate increased domestic interest (as they won't be shite). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_diaspora

Just need to look at the net they would be casting with the diaspora, 1.8m in the UK alone. Appreciate India has 1.4 BILLION but they're not really a football nation. 

Their FA president must be pulling his hair out :lol: I assume its an oversight, but if not, the phrase "cutting your nose off to spite your face" comes to mind. 

Yeah its quite mad. Though I wonder if the law is mainly due to nationalist feelings, where if you want to be a patriotic Indian and play for your country then surely its a easy choice to be only an Indian citizen.

15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah its quite mad. Though I wonder if the law is mainly due to nationalist feelings, where if you want to be a patriotic Indian and play for your country then surely its a easy choice to be only an Indian citizen.

Quite possibly, think they're a country with huge potential with sports from their sheer size. Hopefully something they reverse, because they'd absolutely be able to compete at a higher level. it would be brilliant for the club to have an Indian International playing for us. He could very well end up being the first player to play for the national team through this rule change (should it happen). 

Absolutely desperate to see the Dhanda deal getting done. Feeling he's going to be a huge player for us. 

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Quite possibly, think they're a country with huge potential with sports from their sheer size. Hopefully something they reverse, because they'd absolutely be able to compete at a higher level. it would be brilliant for the club to have an Indian International playing for us. He could very well end up being the first player to play for the national team through this rule change (should it happen). 

Absolutely desperate to see the Dhanda deal getting done. Feeling he's going to be a huge player for us. 

Yeah, India are a funny country sportswise. They obviously are one of, if not the best in the world for cricket. There are a few other sports they do really well in like Hockey. But for their size they have struggled, in the Olympics they have only won 7 gold medals since independence.

Yeah I hope so too

Seen a thread started on the Afcon thought we would have more interest in this tournament....however who the chocolate are Tajikistan 🤔

4 hours ago, GYL said:

Seen a thread started on the Afcon thought we would have more interest in this tournament....however who the chocolate are Tajikistan 🤔

Tajikistan are takiji's from Takijistan.

2 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Tajikistan are takiji's from Takijistan.

Tajikistan 🇹🇯 

uniwildcat38

Saw an article today in the local media here in Australia saying the right-back wasn't good enough when attacking, and calling for Nat Atkinson (hooray!) or Lewis Miller (boo!) to start next game.

braveheart
8 hours ago, GYL said:

Going to see them v Qatar on Wednesday 😁

The Black Prince

Iran looked awesome and so did Japan.

If Vietnam got two against Japan then they must be considered dangerous and may well be Oz's opponent in the Rd of 16.

South Korea play tonight.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
58 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

If Vietnam got two against Japan then they must be considered dangerous and may well be Oz's opponent in the Rd of 16.

No idea of your timezone, but Korea are on now v Bahrain. Didn't know Klinsman is their coach, now.

The Black Prince
On 15/01/2024 at 18:03, uniwildcat38 said:

Saw an article today in the local media here in Australia saying the right-back wasn't good enough when attacking, and calling for Nat Atkinson (hooray!) or Lewis Miller (boo!) to start next game.

Was this it?

The Socceroos were hard to watch against India...but there's one obvious solution - FTBL | The home of football in Australia

On 15/01/2024 at 10:41, The Black Prince said:

They're certainly good at supporting the attackers, bombing down the channels etc etc...

Pans Jambo
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Atkinson injured? Not even on the bench.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Atkinson injured? Not even on the bench.

Like my Subways, I like my Hearts Socceroos fresh, and my Hibs socceroos toasted

Socceroos playing just now. No Atkinson in the squad. Rowles Royce on the bench. 

Just now, jamdunc said:

Socceroos playing just now. No Atkinson in the squad. Rowles Royce on the bench. 

Bit weird, no?

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, jamdunc said:

Suits me , bit of rest, think Kye played full match other day.

thehibsareintheirbeds

Nil nil halftime, doesn't sound like a classic. The few Afcon and Asian games I've seen have been brutal.

37 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Suits me , bit of rest, think Kye played full match other day.

Any sign of the big wonky donkey Miller in Nattys absence ? 

Mikey1874
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No

Winning 1-0 though another Jackson Irvine goal

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

No

Winning 1-0 though another Jackson Irvine goal

They remind me of Scotland in the early 2000s some really good players , some distinctly average ones , and then a whole pile of garbage 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 0 Australia, through and more time away it is, not unexpected

Australia making good use of their squad in the Group games. They know they'll qualify so keeping legs fresh for the knock-out games where they'll lay their first choice players.

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Noticed Kuol didnt even make the squad. Wonder if the Newcastle fans are in as much uproar as they were when he was here.

soonbe110
1 hour ago, jamdunc said:

Must be injured or ill.  He is third/fourth choice  rb for them now but with Strain injured thought he would at least make the bench again 

soonbe110
59 minutes ago, Sooks said:

He is on the bench. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

He is on the bench. 

Hope he gets on for comedy value later on . Might catch the highlights if he does 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to *** Asian Cup / Rowles and Atkinson (merged) ***