*** AFCON 2023 Thread ***

tian447

No thread for this, take it nobody is that bothered by it? 

Ghana decide to gift a goal in added time to Cape Verde who win their game 2-1.  Horrific defending. 

The quality of the football has been... interesting. It's something to watch, but nothing has really jumped out at me yet. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tian447

• Sooperstar

• HMFC01

• Mikey1874

RustyRightPeg

It's comedy gold.

Pretty sure in the last tournament the VAR monitor pitchside was a wee computer monitor powered up by an extension cable. Think a ref blew for full time after 84 minutes too.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, tian447 said:

No thread for this, take it nobody is that bothered by it? 

Ghana decide to gift a goal in added time to Cape Verde who win their game 2-1.  Horrific defending. 

The quality of the football has been... interesting. It's something to watch, but nothing has really jumped out at me yet. 

I have no interest in watching games that aren't Hearts or Scotland any more, there's been so much on for so long I'm pretty scunnered with football on the tv.

2 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I have no interest in watching games that aren't Hearts or Scotland any more, there's been so much on for so long I'm pretty scunnered with football on the tv.

I can totally understand that point of view.  I find myself growing more and more attracted to it myself to be honest. 

I've got multiple subs to Sky, TNT, ViaPlay etc and end up with football on the TV most nights.  How much of it I actually enjoy is another question. I genuinely only care about our results, and don't give 2 ****s about what happens in the other games.  It's more background noise than anything else. 

I was playing Pokemon Emerald on a Gameboy emulator whilst the Ghana v Cape Verde game was on, and it was much more interesting than the football :lol:

I'll end up watching all of it, even if it's just background watching, but it's not exactly demanding my full attention. 

In the spirit of the thread, we've had the following results:

Ivory Coast 2-0 Guinea-Bissau

Nigeria 1-1 Equatorial Guinea

Egypt 2-2 Mozambique

Ghana 1-2 Cape Verde

The "big" teams really not doing a good job so far in the tournament! 

13 minutes ago, GYL said:

2023?

It was postponed 6 months for the wet season.  Supposed to be July 2023, but moved back to January 2024. 

Still counted as AFCON 2023 though :thumbsup:

JimmyCant
29 minutes ago, tian447 said:

In the spirit of the thread, we've had the following results:

Ivory Coast 2-0 Guinea-Bissau

Nigeria 1-1 Equatorial Guinea

Egypt 2-2 Mozambique

Ghana 1-2 Cape Verde

The "big" teams really not doing a good job so far in the tournament! 

Nigeria burst my Acca today. My only interest in this was for easy looking bets to build an Acca and now even that’s gone pear shaped 😢

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Nigeria burst my Acca today. My only interest in this was for easy looking bets to build an Acca and now even that’s gone pear shaped 😢

Don't bet on the African Cup of Nations :lol:

Definitely don't bet on favourites! They always **** it! 

I managed to get the Ivory Coast score right for the opening game. 

Decided it wasn't worth the turmoil because of the odds for the next lot.   Glad I left it.  Three brutal results on Sunday. 

The first rounds tend to be really bad.   

I got lucky on the opening match for the hosts.   Should've been more than 2-0.

I fancy Senegal and *Algeria to win.   Cameroon draw.   

Edited by HMFC01

Have the referees improved??did one not call for full time 9 minutes early at the last tournament 😳

3 hours ago, rory78 said:

Have the referees improved??did one not call for full time 9 minutes early at the last tournament 😳

The last one was an absolute farce. I used to love watching it but that put me right off bothering. 

AFCON is total pish.

The officials are clueless, the goalies are worse, the tackles on show wouldn't look out of place at a kung fu tournament and the stadiums are almost always empty.

At least one team will go on strike for more pay during the tournament (or may already have done so in the build-up, I've not paid any attention to this farce at all this year)

Nookie Bear
46 minutes ago, Cade said:

AFCON is total pish.

The officials are clueless, the goalies are worse, the tackles on show wouldn't look out of place at a kung fu tournament and the stadiums are almost always empty.

At least one team will go on strike for more pay during the tournament (or may already have done so in the build-up, I've not paid any attention to this farce at all this year)

Not gonna lie, this makes it much more appealing to me.

Senegal 2-0 Gambia.

If only the Gambian Roberto Carlos was still kicking about, he'd have made a difference:

Well I don’t know about the rest of the game as I’ve not been watching it but Senegal just scored a peach. 

Jambo Buckets

Never understand the negativity around AFCON you sometimes hear. I don't watch every game but usually stick the games on and watch most of the knockouts and find it pretty good and enjoyable. Sometimes the play can be a bit chaotic or less structured but half the players play in the Big 5 leagues of Europe so don't think it can be that bad. Looks like it will be very competitive this year where 8 or 9 teams will have a chance of winning it. 

copa-mundial

I mind watching this as a kid years ago when I certainly knew a lot more of the players then than I do today. 

Most notable memory is Abdi Pele scoring a free kick from about 40 yards. It was a screamer! 

There is absolutely no atmosphere in any of these games, which I think is a bit of a shame. It could be a lot better than it is, and the game suffers because of it. 

Guinea are down to 10 men for a fairly innocent and accidental looking foul. Defender is chasing the attacker, and stands on his heel. He didn't go to ground or lunge in.   Seems very, very harsh. VAR upgraded from yellow to red. 

BlueRiver
18 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

I managed to get the Ivory Coast score right for the opening game. 

Decided it wasn't worth the turmoil because of the odds for the next lot.   Glad I left it.  Three brutal results on Sunday. 

The first rounds tend to be really bad.   

I got lucky on the opening match for the hosts.   Should've been more than 2-0.

I fancy Senegal and *Algeria to win.   Cameroon draw.   

Good shout on the draw. Backed these 3 on a treble so fingers crossed for the last one. 

21 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Is Aberdeen’s gazillion pound player out there with Cape Verde

i think he ducked out of going

andythejambo

Angola just equalised from the spot. But should it have counted? Player crashes it off the underside of the bar, and then runs in to tap it over the line. Goalie did'nt touch it, so surely this is a double touch. 

23 minutes ago, andythejambo said:

Angola just equalised from the spot. But should it have counted? Player crashes it off the underside of the bar, and then runs in to tap it over the line. Goalie did'nt touch it, so surely this is a double touch. 

The ball went over the line I believe.  It wouldn't have counted otherwise.   Although I'm not confident VAR and the OFR would have sorted it ☺ 

Algeria 1-0 up in control and give them a gift of a penalty :facepalm:

andythejambo
23 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

The ball went over the line I believe.  It wouldn't have counted otherwise.   Although I'm not confident VAR and the OFR would have sorted it ☺ 

Algeria 1-0 up in control and give them a gift of a penalty :facepalm:

Yup, just rewound it on Sky, didn't realise it had gone well over the line.

Not quite sure what I was expecting with Burkina Faso v Mauritania, but it's been a level of pish beyond what I had feared. 

0-0, 25 minutes to play. I would say that I hope that Tunisia V Namibia and Mali v South Africa will be better games, but there is absolutely no way they could be worse. 

Mauritania 500 minutes without a goal in AFCON competitions. 

I'm going out on a limb here.   It's going to end 0-0.

😀

Tunisia should win you'd think.   Mali possibly sneak a win. 

Edited by HMFC01

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Mauritania 500 minutes without a goal in AFCON competitions. 

I'm going out on a limb here.   It's going to end 0-0.

😀

Tunisia should win you'd think.   Score draw for the last one. 

Are Burkina Faso also 500 minutes without an AFCON goal? :lol:

:vrface:

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Are Burkina Faso also 500 minutes without an AFCON goal? :lol:

:vrface:

No idea the commentary never mentioned them yet 😂 

Goalkeepers motm. 

Chance to break through, or at least hold it up, and the Mauritania player falls over trying to win a free kick. 

Think I'm starting to see why they haven't scored in those 500 minutes. 

Think VAR are going to give Burkina Faso a penalty here.

I bet you they miss it :lol:

He has absolutely bought that penalty btw, it's nowhere near as clear as the commentators are making it out to be. 

Goal. 1-0 Burkina Faso. 

Still an absolutely dreadful game :lol:

Yep he's bought it.   Unlucky the ball bobbled before he got a touch just out of reach. 

1-0 :shocked3:

10 minutes until half time in Tunisia v Namibia.  0-0.

Not much better than the last game.  The atmosphere in this one is actually even worse. It's like a training session.

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

10 minutes until half time in Tunisia v Namibia.  0-0.

Not much better than the last game.  The atmosphere in this one is actually even worse. It's like a training session.

This tournament so far has been garbage.

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

This tournament so far has been garbage.

You're not wrong.  It really has not been good at all. 

The atmosphere is the worst part. It's like no one can be arsed being there, players included. 

Hopefully once the group stages are out of the way it'll start to pick up.

Great finish to the game.   Namibia win with a great cross and header.   Unlucky second goal disallowed for offside.   I like seeing the underdogs score with their random celebrations. 

9/1 Namibia looked the better side. 

Edited by HMFC01

Mikey1874
22 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Angolan gameplan in tatters. 

Algeria winning 1-0. 

What is the North African teams' game plan playing out of their comfort zone in the sub Sahara?

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

What is the North African teams' game plan playing out of their comfort zone in the sub Sahara?

No idea.   They gave a cheap penalty away for a straight kick.   He just had to stand his ground.   The ball was going out. 

Malinga the Swinga

South Africa 2 down to Mali. Tunisia pumped by Namibia. 

The so called big teams not performing that well with couple of exceptions.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

South Africa 2 down to Mali. Tunisia pumped by Namibia. 

The so called big teams not performing that well with couple of exceptions.

Are SA considered a big team? I'd have made Mali favs

17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Are SA considered a big team? I'd have made Mali favs

Mali were 5/6 favourites, South Africa were nearly 4/1 with most bookies pre-kick off (18/5 which is a very strange set of odds you don't see that often).

DR Congo v Zambia about to kick off. Bushiri on the bench for congo but frankie musonda starts for zambia, musonda currently plays for ayr