Any holidays planned this year?

Howdy Doody Jambo

jamb0_1874
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I loved Brisbane and hated Sydney (got mugged there so that didn’t help) Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast with a convertible Audi TT on hire was the dugs bollox though

I think the whole area around Brisbane will be completely different now to when I was there. For example I thought the gold coast was like a giant Blackpool but that was long before the commonwealth games was hosted in the area so I'm guessing it will be much improved. Would be interesting to hear if Byron bay still has a strong 'Amsterdam' influence on its culture or not... The sunshine coast was really nice however. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• periodictabledancer

• Sooperstar

• Morgan

• Doctor FinnBarr

il Duce McTarkin

I'll be too busy burglng houses for a holiday this year.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

hughesie27
1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I think the whole area around Brisbane will be completely different now to when I was there. For example I thought the gold coast was like a giant Blackpool but that was long before the commonwealth games was hosted in the area so I'm guessing it will be much improved. Would be interesting to hear if Byron bay still has a strong 'Amsterdam' influence on its culture or not... The sunshine coast was really nice however. 

Can see the comparison given the number of attractions etc but that's where it ends really. Nice place. And the theme parks are class.

Was in Brisbane a couple of times, just your bog standard big city.

feedtheroman2

Anyone got anything exciting planned for this year or can recommend any all inclusive destinations abroad?

We've done the city breaks but are now wanting sun, beach and relaxation with plenty to do. 

Just me and the wife.

Cheers!

New Town Loafer

Heading out to Dubai in a week’s time to see my old man.

Hoping to go out with him and my brother to the euros in Germany and then a sun holiday in Portugal in September with the missus and a couple of pals.

I was in Thailand last month. I would recommend Bangkok, Phuket or Phi Phi Island. Phi Phi was probably the highlight for me though. Thailand has a bit of a rep about being seedy but you only see it on certain streets.

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Herbert. said:

I was in Thailand last month. I would recommend Bangkok, Phuket or Phi Phi Island. Phi Phi was probably the highlight for me though. Thailand has a bit of a rep about being seedy but you only see it on certain streets.

Hippy Bar Phi Phi is a cool place 

All above are great as are Ko Chang Island  and Chang Mai in the North  -  amazing country and lovely people .

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Anyone got anything exciting planned for this year or can recommend any all inclusive destinations abroad?

We've done the city breaks but are now wanting sun, beach and relaxation with plenty to do. 

Just me and the wife.

Cheers!

The Jet2 Holidays site is user friendly for filtering on desired departure airports, all inclusive board basis, duration and hotel rating. Plenty of good places in Portugal, Canaries, Balearics, Turkey and Croatia which align with what you are looking for. 

For Portugal, Alvor is great. In Croatia, Cavtat is lovely and chilled. Plenty of options for boat trips and water activities. The Antalya area in Turkey is modern with huge resorts catering for lots of activities on site (Belek and Lara Beach) 

There looks to be a considerable hike in holiday prices this year compared to last. The more flexibility you have with dates will allow for a better deal to be found. If keen on Jet2, sign up for 'My Jet2' as you'll gain access to some discount codes. 👍 

The Jazz Emu

All these far flung places mentioned are probably very nice, but I don't think that you can beat Scotland for a wee holiday.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

I believe Peebles is nice for a wee break.

Indeed it is, I often get one bus up to Peebles and try like feck to get the very next bus back out, making it a very short visit.  :lol:

47 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed it is, I often get one bus up to Peebles and try like feck to get the very next bus back out, making it a very short visit.  :lol:

Is that what one would call a ‘Peebles moment’ Jimbo?  :biggrin:

3 hours ago, The Jazz Emu said:

All these far flung places mentioned are probably very nice, but I don't think that you can beat Scotland for a wee holiday.

Scotland is expensive and your at the mercy of the weather. Asia is the place to go. 

4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Hippy Bar Phi Phi is a cool place 

All above are great as are Ko Chang Island  and Chang Mai in the North  -  amazing country and lovely people .

We stayed just along the beach from there. I would have spent the whole 3weeks in phi phi. Next time we going to visit Chiang Mai and Chaing Rai. A tour guide recommened Chaing Rai over Chiang Mai so should be worth a visit.

On 07/01/2024 at 14:19, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Anybody got a holiday booked up yet for this year, it's always good to have something to look forward to

Even just a browse on a travel agent website can lift the spirits and brush away the January blues

☀️ ✈️ ⛱️ 🌞 🍹

Gimme a break, I had two in December…

Doctor FinnBarr

Ooh, looks like the Mrs has just ok'd a long weekend in Brussels for my birthday in April (she gets Tenerife for hers next week). Just need the post split dates for RWDM now.

Psychedelicropcircle

Oz flights booked💪🏿 dropping into Singapore for 3 days on the way out & overnight on the return leg! It’s a start but confirms it’s appening 🦘🌞🍺

hmfc_liam06

Budapest in March

Belek in May

Faro in September

Lake District in September

Lapland in December

jamb0_1874
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Budapest in March

Belek in May

Faro in September

Lapland in December

I've always really quite fancied a trip to Lapland. A friend done it with their kids as a day trip last December and said it was fab. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Budapest in March

Belek in May

Faro in September

Lapland in December

Last one a day trip? I priced it before and reckon you'd get each of your other holidays at a lower cost. 😄

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Last one a day trip? I priced it before and reckon you'd get each of your other holidays at a lower cost. 😄

Yeah it's the day trip.

It's dear but you can't put a cost on your kids memories.

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I've always really quite fancied a trip to Lapland. A friend done it with their kids as a day trip last December and said it was fab. 

Yeah I know a few folk who have said it's an amazing experience - loads packed into your day.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah it's the day trip.

It's dear but you can't put a cost on your kids memories.

👍 

Spellczech
On 12/01/2024 at 10:02, feedtheroman2 said:

Just me and the wife.

Cheers!

if it is just you and wife I would skip the all inclusive option and find your own food - it is half the fun of a holiday!

All inclusive is average quality food for people who cannot budget or have fussy kids with them and so need plenty of choice.

Also may not be the same for everyone but my appetite is far less in hot weather so an All-you-can-eat buffet is not cost-effective. I'd rather take a chance and lose than play it safe and have days of the same...

Edited by Spellczech

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

All inclusive is average quality food for people who cannot budget or have fussy kids with them and so need plenty of choice.

😂

Give yer head a wobble.

Sooperstar
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

if it is just you and wife I would skip the all inclusive option and find your own food - it is half the fun of a holiday!

Also may not be the same for everyone but my appetite is far less in hot weather so an All-you-can-eat buffet is not cost-effective. I'd rather take a chance and lose than play it safe and have days of the same...

Depends where you are. Plenty AI places outwith Europe which have fantastic food at a variety of restaurants. 

Spellczech
16 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Depends where you are. Plenty AI places outwith Europe which have fantastic food at a variety of restaurants. 

Yeah but he was asking about holidays so I assumed for the European summer not winter sun

Byyy The Light
On 12/01/2024 at 21:35, Herbert. said:

We stayed just along the beach from there. I would have spent the whole 3weeks in phi phi. Next time we going to visit Chiang Mai and Chaing Rai. A tour guide recommened Chaing Rai over Chiang Mai so should be worth a visit.

Went to Thailand for my honeymoon and travelled all over, stunning country, especially out with the main tourist traps.  Wasn't keen on the busy side of Phi Phi.

That being said, the day in my life I'd most like to re-live was one of the days there.  Up with the sunrise to go snorkelling with reef sharks, turtles etc. Day spent kicking about various places on one of the traditional fishing boats with just me, my mrs, dive guide, a french couple and the Thai fisherman.

Back to hotel, nat king.

Up to viewpoint to chill for a while, out for an amazing meal and spent the rest of the night chilling on the beach with a few drinks at Hippys.  Not a care in the world.

Taking my young lads football team to the Copa Jordi tournament in March in Barcelona.

Off for two weeks to Germany for the Euros.

Wife is delighted with the football focussed holidays this year 😂

2 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Went to Thailand for my honeymoon and travelled all over, stunning country, especially out with the main tourist traps.  Wasn't keen on the busy side of Phi Phi.

That being said, the day in my life I'd most like to re-live was one of the days there.  Up with the sunrise to go snorkelling with reef sharks, turtles etc. Day spent kicking about various places on one of the traditional fishing boats with just me, my mrs, dive guide, a french couple and the Thai fisherman.

Back to hotel, nat king.

Up to viewpoint to chill for a while, out for an amazing meal and spent the rest of the night chilling on the beach with a few drinks at Hippys.  Not a care in the world.

We only went up the busy bit at night for the hearts rangers game but ot wasnt that bad compared to bangla road or Khosan road. The longtail boat trip was good we paid about 30quid for a tour that lasted about 4hours. Krabi is the only part of Thailand I dont like. Its shite there.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Herbert. said:

We only went up the busy bit at night for the hearts rangers game but ot wasnt that bad compared to bangla road or Khosan road. The longtail boat trip was good we paid about 30quid for a tour that lasted about 4hours. Krabi is the only part of Thailand I dont like. Its shite there.

I only went to Krabi to catch a flight back to Bangkok so I didn't actually spend any time there, I've heard mixed things.  I did Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khao Lak, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Ko Tao and a couple others I forget. Amazing trip.

inspector

Cruising the Norwegian fjords for 7 nights in June. Hopefully Seville in September

On 09/01/2024 at 10:57, JimmyCant said:

Nah it’s morally unsound to do it virtually anywhere and you can’t really do it ‘in the wild’  Not judging and there are some places way better than others of course but it’s way better just to look at them

A bit late to the party on this but you can interact (not swim but they will swim up to you) with Dolphins off the west coast of Australia in a place called Monkey Mia. Unbelievable experience.

The Jazz Emu

I would love to just stay here in North Berwick come the summer, even despite the influx of tourists, but I am being forced to go to Bournemouth in July for a week.

19 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I did this a couple of time with my kids when they were young. Initially day trip and went back did ice hotel thing for night second times 

Memories that stay with you for a life time. They were right age but the Santa experience brought a tear to my eye, plus things like husky rides, snowmobiles, northern lights, smores around fires and the whole vibe stay with you. 

On downside, I can’t explain how cold it is. Layer up. Make sure you have base layers etc. they give you the gear but it’s a different level to cold here. Always wear a hat it’s dangerous not to!

I’m thinking about going to turkey, in Oct. Not sure about it as never been. However, weather decent in October for relatively short flight. Wife suggesting a villa at Lara Barut, at Lara beach whereas I wanted to be closer to golf courses which I think are Belek area. 

Any recommendations welcome about places to stay, accommodation or golf courses to play. 

Apart from the golf there didn't look to be much else in Belek when we passed through on the way to Side. There is the Land of Legends theme park right enough with load of designer shops and the dearest restaurant I think I've ever been in which was good.

Barut hotels are top notch though, we stayed in the Acanthus & Cennet in Side and it was amazing for food and drink, entertainment was a bit naff though.

18 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

A bit late to the party on this but you can interact (not swim but they will swim up to you) with Dolphins off the west coast of Australia in a place called Monkey Mia. Unbelievable experience.

Forget that, it was 20 years ago we did it and now you're not allowed within 50m of them.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, The Jazz Emu said:

I would love to just stay here in North Berwick come the summer, even despite the influx of tourists, but I am being forced to go to Bournemouth in July for a week.

Don’t forget to wipe your feet on the way out of Bournemouth 

Seaside Dave

Going to tenerife in February and then Lanzarote in May 26th course the day after we win the Scottish cup 🤣🤣🤣

Samuel Camazzola

Considering Montenegro. The flight is to Dubrovnik therefore weighing up the length of the taxi journey across the border. 

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, Seaside Dave said:

Going to tenerife in February and then Lanzarote in May 26th course the day after we win the Scottish cup 🤣🤣🤣

I'm in Tenerife just now, arrived at our Los Cristianos apartment yesterday (Sat) at 14.15,left at 14.40 to catch CDT supporters bus to Santa Cruz for the game. Beat 2-1 by Sporting Gijon and it feckin pissed down. Back to Los Cris, kebab and onto a Belgian bar. She's buckled and in bed before 1am. 

These foreign sunshine breaks are shit in January. Wonder if she can move her birthday. 

jamb0_1874
10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Considering Montenegro. The flight is to Dubrovnik therefore weighing up the length of the taxi journey across the border. 

Dubrovnik is a lovely place, if somewhat steep, so combining the two would make a fab trip 👍🏻

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Dubrovnik is a lovely place, if somewhat steep, so combining the two would make a fab trip 👍🏻

I flew into Dubrovnik a few years ago and stayed in Cavtat which was great. Distance to Cavtat from airport was similar to Corstorphine to Edinburgh airport which was very convenient. 😄

Took the boat trip to Dubrovnik and agree it was lovely. 👍 

6 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

I'm in Tenerife just now, arrived at our Los Cristianos apartment yesterday (Sat) at 14.15,left at 14.40 to catch CDT supporters bus to Santa Cruz for the game. Beat 2-1 by Sporting Gijon and it feckin pissed down. Back to Los Cris, kebab and onto a Belgian bar. She's buckled and in bed before 1am. 

These foreign sunshine breaks are shit in January. Wonder if she can move her birthday. 

Which Belgian bar? Move birthday, good enough for Liz...🤷‍♂️

periodictabledancer

Arrived in Cape Verde on Friday to see a plane load of Weegies arrive straight after us. Thank feck none are in our hotel. Weather is superb so far and only getting better. Winter  sunshine 🌞 ☀️  🌞 ☀️ . Magic. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Which Belgian bar? Move birthday, good enough for Liz...🤷‍♂️

Haifischbar near the Burger King. 

1 hour ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

1 hour ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Got you, just up from the Miners. Quality beers?