• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• periodictabledancer

• Sooperstar

• Morgan

• Doctor FinnBarr

Mac_fae_Gillie

Just filled out 6 weeks worth of holiday requests nothing actually for time away though so far.

EH11_2NL
9 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I went to Lisbon last year and was totally underwhelmed. It's nice, cheap, clean, people are lovely but it's boring. Very boring. 

Scratch that then. I was hoping to think outside the box and impress her to get my Nat King. Back to the drawing board. 

39 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Hi Boof

was going to get in touch - yes we have a hall. However I am going with 5 women and me the only guy.... so I am out of the planning committee. I'm waiting to be informed where we are and what we are doing.

I think I'm mainly there to cook and drive, but I intend to escape and fidn a few pubs to sit in peace and  quiet.

Yes - do feel free to get in touch. Let me know your dates and where you're going to be based and I'll offer a few suggestions.

Might be difficult to find a quiet, peaceful pub (in Lerwick) from about Saturday onwards! :lol: 

35 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

The Thule in Lerwick is the "hip" pub as I'm sure Boof will know.

As @Dunks can testify... 😬

stevie1874
2 hours ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Lake Garda in July, third year in a row, something I thought we'd never do.  Ultimate chill hotel, outrageously good food, half board, actual angry at yourself if you get jaked on a trip to Venice /Milan etc and miss dinner.  Beautiful part of our planet.

What’s the name of hotel if you don’t mind me asking?  Always fancied a trip to the lakes. 

AlimOzturk
17 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

We've flown in/out of Bologna in the past and got the train down but can't be arsed these days. 

I didn't think there was much to see there last time I was there , so flying into Rome and bugger the cost. 

Staying right on the via del Corso for some quality wining & dining this year. Very much looking forward to it. :thumb:

Mate of mine has nostalgia after living there and we are going down with bagpipes in tow and going to make it a busking trip. We have several gigs booked inbetween in Pisa, Florence and somewhere else that I can’t remember off the top of my head. 

The rugger we are staying over night in rome. 

Fly out to Fuerteventura tomorrow. Couple of nights there then ferry over to Lanzarote for another two nights.

Six nights in and around Germany for the Euros.

Potential for 10 nights in Crete at the end of July.

Possible trip away with Hearts for a couple of nights if ECL group stage happens later this year.

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Mate of mine has nostalgia after living there and we are going down with bagpipes in tow and going to make it a busking trip. We have several gigs booked inbetween in Pisa, Florence and somewhere else that I can’t remember off the top of my head. 

The rugger we are staying over night in rome. 

I love Bologna. Though I’d be raging if I was having a nice relaxed stroll around and turned the corner to see some jock parking away on their bagpipes. 

AlimOzturk
Just now, Tazio said:

I love Bologna. Though I’d be raging if I was having a nice relaxed stroll around and turned the corner to see some jock parking away on their bagpipes. 

It will short bursts for fun in various locations. Nothing to piss anyone off. 😂

Psychedelicropcircle
41 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

What area are you heading?

Cairns Brisbane Melbourne & Sydney! 

hoping to see some of the tropical islands on the coast along the way!

Just now, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I was going to advise missing Canberra but you’ve already managed that. 

heartgarfunkel
1 hour ago, stevie1874 said:

What’s the name of hotel if you don’t mind me asking?  Always fancied a trip to the lakes. 

Excelsior la terrazze Stevie, absolutely superb, cannot recommend it highly enough.

Thunder and Lightning

Just back from our cottage in the borders where we booked disneyland Paris for my 7 Yr old at the end of January. 

Toying with away trips for the 6 nations but if we decide against we have a weekend in Amsterdam booked in March. 

Nothing planned yet for after but will undoubtedly look to do something. 

That thing you do
5 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Cayman Islands for 10 days in May and it's my 30th wedding anniversary ❤️ this year. Still deciding where to take She Who Must Be Obeyed. Was thinking Lisbon for a few days. 

Recommend Slovenia over portugal. Lake Bled is georgeous. Ljubljana is a small city for a capital but I liked that too.

13 hours ago, Boof said:

As @Dunks can testify... 😬

Ah yes, the Thule. I have a bike carrier made by them :lol:

A perfectly hospitable venue, but perhaps not the best base for a rainy Thursday afternoon to sit on the laptop working, whilst suited and booted. I wasn't expecting entertainment so early in the day 😉

hughesie27

Fuertaventura for a week in March. Been to Lanzarote a couple of times but first time there. Daughters first trip, she'll be just about 4 months by then.

Spellczech
17 hours ago, Morgan said:

The streets get washed and cleaned every single day of the year. Even when there is a drought they do it. You can't always get a shower on the beach though! Plants and concrete get preferential treatment to people. 🙄

The street cleaning is even more than where I live at the moment, which is five days a week!

Yeah when I lived in Vancouver I was amazed that they wash the streets every night. Contrast that with having to dance around puke deposits on a Sunday morning in Glasgow...

RustyRightPeg

Looking to get away with the Mrs in February. Ideally a wee staycation (recommendations welcome). 

Off to Germany in the summer, but looking for another cheap sunny trip in there somewhere. 

Jambo-Jimbo
17 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I went to Lisbon last year and was totally underwhelmed. It's nice, cheap, clean, people are lovely but it's boring. Very boring. 

We were there for 5 nights in June last year, loved it, so much to see and do, never once were we bored.

Suppose it depends on what you were looking for, we loved it, you didn't.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We were there for 5 nights in June last year, loved it, so much to see and do, never once were we bored.

It’s a beautiful city . I was there years ago . Architecture was stunning . 

periodictabledancer
29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I wasn't looking for anything, I went open minded.

I didn't find much to enjoy and wouldn't recommend it but you did , so, good for you. 

Dennis Reynolds

Germany in June. Apparently a big event on. Hopefully get something else near September. Did fancy Shetland but looked at taking the ferry over which was very expensive. Flights not too bad but we'll have the wee one potentially and not sure I can be bothered with the hassle. If not, possibly Skye or Arran again. 

6 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Did fancy Shetland but looked at taking the ferry over which was very expensive. Flights not too bad but we'll have the wee one potentially and not sure I can be bothered with the hassle.

Cabin is pretty much a must which bumps the ferry fare up but your payment is per cabin rather than per passenger.

Obviously you'd pay the travel fare per passenger. Still bloody expensive, I'd agree.

Nothing 100% confirmed as yet but there's every chance we'll be doing the following

Turkey/Alanya in May 7-10 nights for my old mans 70th

Long weekend in Manchester for a gig in June

2 weeks to Florida in late September/Early October

Then it'll be saving for 2025's big holiday, Mrs Ribbles cousins wedding in Sorento then 10-11 days touring Italy and into the south of france

Fuerteventura in February.  in  June, we are having a couple of days in Budapest and getting the train to Munich and Cologne for the Euros then home via Prague.  Hoping I will be seeing Hearts in Europe also 

J.T.F.Robertson

Off to La Paz, Mexico, again for a couple of months, February 1st.

Will be our fifth time there for varying durations.

jamb0_1874
22 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

It must be 10+ years since I did a similar trip. Although I didnt do Melbourne. Cairns was an interesting place but is definitely worth it for the scuba/diving on the barrier reef, I travelled up as far as Daintree to the north and to a lovely wee place called mission beach to the south of Cairns and there are /were some lovely wee places in that area. Brisbane was my least favourite part of the trip, although it was maybe tainted by a tour to fraser island that I took from the CBD of Brisbane but if I was to do the tour again I would look to pick up the trip from Rainbow beach or Noosa as even just thinking about that trip in the back of a 4x4 still gives me the fear... Fraser island once i got there was fab however but Sydney and the surrounding areas like the blue mountains etc I really loved and is one of those places I felt I could live in, if I were to win the lottery that is..... 

JimmyCant

So far

City break Wrocław 

Family and Grandkids Turkey 

Possible foodie tour San Sebastián

Cruise at New Year

Frack knows how I’m paying for it all

JimmyCant
11 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Looking to get away with the Mrs in February. Ideally a wee staycation (recommendations welcome). 

Off to Germany in the summer, but looking for another cheap sunny trip in there somewhere. 

Search Ryanair and EasyJet from Edinburgh to ‘anywhere’ Gone are the days when you’d get Gothenburg for a pound but it sometimes turns up something you find find interesting at a decent price

Our last ‘random’ trip was Riga. £46 return (Not for football) Fantastic as I’m sure many on here will tell you  We’ve also done Gdansk on a pot luck trip and it was brilliant as well

Edited by JimmyCant

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Search Ryanair and EasyJet from Edinburgh to ‘anywhere’ Gone are the days when you’d get Gothenburg for a pound but it sometimes turns up something you find find interesting at a decent price

Our last ‘random’ trip was Riga. £46 return (Not for football) Fantastic as I’m sure many on here will tell you 

I was going to do that last weekend as a very last minute leaving the next day thing as I was bored and realised I’d wasted my Christmas holidays sitting on my arse. I found flights to Copenhagen for £60 flying out early Friday morning and returning early evening Sunday. Then I got a phone call my mum was very ill just as I was browsing cheap hotels so didn’t manage it. I could have done the weekend comfortably for less than £150 plus spending money. I could also have got Cork or Dublin for £35. Then just to rub it in she made a miracle recovery the next morning.

Gershwin
On 07/01/2024 at 21:28, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Cairns is a bit of a dump, or was in 2001 when I was over. Driving a jeep around Fraser Island, sailing in the Whitsunday's, and partying in Byron bay were the highlights on the coast for me. Loved Melbourne too – definitely try and take in some Aussie Rules Football if you're there. It help that more than half the teams in the league are from the city so there's always a game on from March to Sept.

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

. Then just to rub it in she made a miracle recovery the next morning.

🤣

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

So far

City break Wrocław 

Family and Grandkids Turkey 

Possible foodie tour San Sebastián

Cruise at New Year

Frack knows how I’m paying for it all

Please , I'll need an up update.

This has been on my bucket list for years. 

JimmyCant
3 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Please , I'll need an up update.

This has been on my bucket list for years. 

Try and find the Fred Sirieux doc on San Seb. That’s more or less what we want to do

’Remarkable Places to Eat’ aired about 2 years ago

periodictabledancer
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Try and find the Fred Sirieux doc on San Seb. That’s more or less what we want to do

’Remarkable Places to Eat’ aired about 2 years ago

Just searched : which series  ?

Sooperstar
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

I was going to do that last weekend as a very last minute leaving the next day thing as I was bored and realised I’d wasted my Christmas holidays sitting on my arse. I found flights to Copenhagen for £60 flying out early Friday morning and returning early evening Sunday. Then I got a phone call my mum was very ill just as I was browsing cheap hotels so didn’t manage it. I could have done the weekend comfortably for less than £150 plus spending money. I could also have got Cork or Dublin for £35. Then just to rub it in she made a miracle recovery the next morning.

What a bitch. 

JimmyCant
8 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Just searched : which series  ?

Season 1 episode 4 I believe it is

periodictabledancer
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Season 1 episode 4 I believe it is

👍

JimmyCant
13 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

It must be 10+ years since I did a similar trip. Although I didnt do Melbourne. Cairns was an interesting place but is definitely worth it for the scuba/diving on the barrier reef, I travelled up as far as Daintree to the north and to a lovely wee place called mission beach to the south of Cairns and there are /were some lovely wee places in that area. Brisbane was my least favourite part of the trip, although it was maybe tainted by a tour to fraser island that I took from the CBD of Brisbane but if I was to do the tour again I would look to pick up the trip from Rainbow beach or Noosa as even just thinking about that trip in the back of a 4x4 still gives me the fear... Fraser island once i got there was fab however but Sydney and the surrounding areas like the blue mountains etc I really loved and is one of those places I felt I could live in, if I were to win the lottery that is..... 

I loved Brisbane and hated Sydney (got mugged there so that didn’t help) Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast with a convertible Audi TT on hire was the dugs bollox though

shlabalaba

She turns 50 in july and her wish is to swim with a dolphin  ( i'd rather it was a shark :) )       has anyone any recommendations  ?     

Sooperstar
8 minutes ago, shlabalaba said:

She turns 50 in july and her wish is to swim with a dolphin  ( i'd rather it was a shark :) )       has anyone any recommendations  ?     

I done it in Mexico in 2011, but I wouldn't do it again. Not that I didn't enjoy it at the time, I just think morally it's a practice which should be stopped these days. 

I wouldn't judge anyone else for doing it though and at least the place I done it (Isla Mujeres just off the coast of Cancun) the Dolphins seemed to have plenty space in a secure area of the sea rather than in a wee pool. 

Edited by Sooperstar

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, shlabalaba said:

You don't need to travel that far.

My daughter done it in Tenerife

JimmyCant
48 minutes ago, shlabalaba said:

Nah it’s morally unsound to do it virtually anywhere and you can’t really do it ‘in the wild’  Not judging and there are some places way better than others of course but it’s way better just to look at them

Me and the missus going for a weekend break to London in February for her birthday, and a long weekend in Rome in September. Be nice to get away, specifically the Rome trip.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Rick James said:

Me and the missus going for a weekend break to London in February for her birthday, and a long weekend in Rome in September. Be nice to get away, specifically the Rome trip.

Rome is wonderful, been numerious times.

Here is some live webcams of Rome (& many other places as well)

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma.html

Harry Potter

My wife and i going to luss for a night (loch lomond), a gift from my son and his girlfriend.

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, shlabalaba said:

I know people who went to Cuba specifically for that reason.

You can do it in Mauritius, I didn't , for medical reasons, but the people who did raved about it (in the open sea). 

For clarity, I'm talking dolphins  here. 😄

Edited by periodictabledancer