The ‘Feck Hogmanay’ thread..

Morgan

Xmas is great when you’re a kid or got kids, everything in between is meh. New year is something I’ve never got. I’ve barely made it to the bells in the last 20 years. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• ri Alban

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Morgan can you tell this person about construction of sentences. 

Wait a minute!!!!!

:touche:

il Duce McTarkin
On 28/12/2023 at 20:08, Boris said:

me, the missus and the dug are off to a wee cottage in the Trossachs. Food, wine, maybe a Munro 

Looking forward to it!

That sounds just great to me.

Going to a bar for meal n party but to be honest I would rather stay in.

I like the bells but once that's over that's it for me, I ain't the type who gets drunk and trust me in Didim a lot are drinking themselves to death 7 days a week.

I remember when i had a friend 

And he could play bagpipes.

And it was fun at new year .

And it didn't cost a fortune to enjoy ourselves.

That's still doable thankfully. 

On 29/12/2023 at 23:55, AlphonseCapone said:

For anyone that doesn't know, and I only read about this recently, but the reason the 2nd is a bank holiday in Scotland is because until the 1950s or 60s, Christmas day wasn't. It was stopped as a public holiday following the reformation and it wasn't until then that it changed.

I genuinely didn't know that. Doesn't affect me because I love in Bath so the 2nd is a normal day.

Got this from the son of my best friend who is no longer with us , As an old codger its after my time and substitute Jimmy Shand and the platters and the 33 rpm crackling on the radiogram. The words might resonate with a few of you. Changed days for me as I will be glad when its over. Like so many others  its a difficult time of the year for me

You’re steak pie getting cooked., taxis been booked. Mum getting praised for how good she looks.

Hoose had a scrub, there’s hunners o grub. Yer Da getting grief  for gaun tae the pub.

Mushy peas. Pieces on tongue and on gammon.

Tuc biscuits with cheese and John West salmon, a schemie feast instead o a famine..

Buns of cherry. Currants and Madeira , we couldn’t afford anything dearer . Excitement builds the bells getting nearer.

Theirs Smirnoff, Babycham , Whyte  & Mackay , Bacardi, Gin and Canada Dry with mixers supplied from the Alpine guy. Youre allowed a wee advocaat or a cheeky wee shandy, a sly can of beer from Uncle Andy, kissed bang on the lips from all of your aunties.

Stereogram ready with musical gems, Abba the drifters and Boney M.. All getting blasted at 45 rpm..

Now they’re all minging. Someone starts singing, hoose full o smoke. Your eyes are all stinging.

They awe sing songs that make them greet – Nobody’s Child a favourite treat An orphanage song making the party upbeat. Wild side of life . Bobby McGee , Little ole wine drinker me – Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree

Only a wee while to go with all the Aunties and Uncles you know and brilliant to see all your cousins though.

Although at times I make it seem tragic . What I would give for one night of magic. To see our loved ones would make me ecstatic

Happy new year .when it comes to you all , a glass lifted for those not here .

May the beautiful memories outshine the tears

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

No queuing at the bar and you don't need a ticket in advance to get in. 

Edinburgh “ Hogmanay “ is ruined now that it has become big business . It’s really sad what has happened to this city in that respect .

The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Got this from the son of my best friend who is no longer with us , As an old codger its after my time and substitute Jimmy Shand and the platters and the 33 rpm crackling on the radiogram. The words might resonate with a few of you. Changed days for me as I will be glad when its over. Like so many others  its a difficult time of the year for me

You’re steak pie getting cooked., taxis been booked. Mum getting praised for how good she looks.

Hoose had a scrub, there’s hunners o grub. Yer Da getting grief  for gaun tae the pub.

Tuc biscuits with cheese and John West salmon, a schemie feast instead o a famine..

Buns of cherry. Currants and Madeira , we couldn’t afford anything dearer . Excitement builds the bells getting nearer.

Theirs Smirnoff, Babycham , Whyte  & Mackay , Bacardi, Gin and Canada Dry with mixers supplied from the Alpine guy. Youre allowed a wee advocaat or a cheeky wee shandy, a sly can of beer from Uncle Andy, kissed bang on the lips from all of your aunties.

Stereogram ready with musical gems, Abba the drifters and Boney M.. All getting blasted at 45 rpm..

Now they’re all minging. Someone starts singing, hoose full o smoke. Your eyes are all stinging.

They awe sing songs that make them greet – Nobody’s Child a favourite treat An orphanage song making the party upbeat. Wild side of life . Bobby McGee , Little ole wine drinker me – Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree

Only a wee while to go with all the Aunties and Uncles you know and brilliant to see all your cousins though.

Although at times I make it seem tragic . What I would give for one night of magic. To see our loved ones would make me ecstatic

That’s brilliant.

The Living Memory Association Podcast: Hogmanay (libsyn.com)

Lovely podcast about Scottish women  reminiscing about old Hogamany. I remember a few of these things.  " First footing". " " Black bun " cake ( was awful), " tall dark handsome stranger". 

" lump of coal" etc  

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

2 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

:clap: 

That, sir, is first class!

Thank you for posting it.

Happy New Year to you.

14 hours ago, Ulysses said:

image.png

This sounds ideal.

However I am in two minds about what to do tonight. The above.. Or meet a few friends later...I always make last minute decisions so Ill see how i feel later.

Just feel there is so much hassle going into town on new years ever . But then again nothing is ever going to happen if you dont get out and about. 

Always been my philosphy.  Be visiable...mix in with the crowd ,Enjoy. 

cc6aafc305b795778d8cff991a989e3b.png

4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

**** me, been leathered three nights out of the last four. Got to try and get on it again tonight. Can’t cope 

413994836_757715443048535_6455484398121838186_n.jpg

Seymour M Hersh

My enjoyment of hogmanay began to wain quickly in the 90's when shitty pubs started to charge £20.00 or more just to see the bells in. GTF! 

On 30/12/2023 at 14:40, il Duce McTarkin said:

That sounds just great to me.

No Munro due to blizzard yesterday, but a good hike through Glen Ogle today. Our Beardie Collie was in heaven!

Howdy Doody Jambo
7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Edinburgh “ Hogmanay “ is ruined now that it has become big business . It’s really sad what has happened to this city in that respect .

It's actually been taken over by the tourist and visitors manufactured by the clowncil 🤡 I don't recognise Edinburgh at this time of year with all the city centre restrictions, pishy stuff on George Street and lack of local community enthusiasm for it all nowadays

Does anybody go first footing or get a warm welcome in a local pub with a bowl of soup or stovies?

Naw £20 to get in £20 for a hot dog and mulled wine, join the back of the que and don't make too much noise or enjoy yourself

It's all a lot of Tom kite 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
26 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

It's actually been taken over by the tourist and visitors manufactured by the clowncil 🤡 I don't recognise Edinburgh at this time of year with all the city centre restrictions, pishy stuff on George Street and lack of local community enthusiasm for it all nowadays

Does anybody go first footing or get a warm welcome in a local pub with a bowl of soup or stovies?

Naw £20 to get in £20 for a hot dog and mulled wine, join the back of the que and don't make too much noise or enjoy yourself

It's all a lot of Tom kite 

Does any ****er from Edinburgh even go up town for Hogmanay anymore or is it all just tourist fuds? 

We used to do street parties when I was growing up, sometimes a bit of country dancing (which was well gay but also a good laugh). That sort of community spirit has died out 

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Does any ****er from Edinburgh even go up town for Hogmanay anymore or is it all just tourist fuds? 

We used to do street parties when I was growing up, sometimes a bit of country dancing (which was well gay but also a good laugh). That sort of community spirit has died out 

Went to the first street party  when we had relatives over from Oz.

Absolute carnage.

Never been back.

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Absolute carnage.

Never been back.

Went to one of the first years and got into a bit of an altercation with an Australian who touched my wife up at the bells and that was it for me. Then got hauled up at the Millennium as we had pals up from London and they wanted to go. About 5 minutes after the bells hey turned around and said “feck this let’s head back to the house”, never been near it since. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Went to one of the first years and got into a bit of an altercation with an Australian who touched my wife up at the bells and that was it for me. Then got hauled up at the Millennium as we had pals up from London and they wanted to go. About 5 minutes after the bells hey turned around and said “feck this let’s head back to the house”, never been near it since. 

Waste of time.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Absolute carnage.

Never been back.

the first one I ever went to, I got a blowie from some bird I pulled :lol: - but it was all down hill from there and year by year, it got less and less enjoyable. Think the last one I went to was in about 2010 - nowhere to drink, a load of shite

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

:clap: 

That, sir, is first class!

Thank you for posting it.

Happy New Year to you.

You are very welcome. Treasure the memories. A very good new year to you 👍🍺

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

the first one I ever went to, I got a blowie from some bird I pulled :lol: - but it was all down hill from there and year by year, it got less and less enjoyable. Think the last one I went to was in about 2010 - nowhere to drink, a load of shite

At least one positive came of it.:fing10:

Jambof3tornado

Given the dug hates fireworks and our street will sound like gaza from 11pm the wife and I shall head out for a wee drive with dug in the boot,possibly Glen Devon,maybe a circuit up to perth or through to fife making sure we're out the way somewhere isolated for midnight.

Nov 5th we go to a cottage in the middle of nowhere. That'll do nicely.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Given the dug hates fireworks and our street will sound like gaza from 11pm the wife and I shall head out for a wee drive with dug in the boot,possibly Glen Devon,maybe a circuit up to perth or through to fife making sure we're out the way somewhere isolated for midnight.

Nov 5th we go to a cottage in the middle of nowhere. That'll do nicely.

Sounds a plan.

29 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Waste of time.

I should add I was in no way inferring that the Australian I had the issue with was one of your relatives. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I should add I was in no way inferring that the Australian I had the issue with was one of your relatives. 

👍

Didn't think that. 

Never really liked it. Even when I was a heavy drinker, I’d go out during the day and be in bed by the bells. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve stayed up for it sometimes but stopped going out or having folk round decades ago.

Jambof3tornado
32 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sounds a plan.

All started years ago when some c##t set a rocket off as the wife was walking the dug past their garden.....on the 28th of funkin october!!!! He damn near dragged her home and is now petrified of loud bangs!!

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

All started years ago when some c##t set a rocket off as the wife was walking the dug past their garden.....on the 28th of funkin october!!!! He damn near dragged her home and is now petrified of loud bangs!!

My late dog was petrified of the fireworks so you I can understand your concerns.

il Duce McTarkin
10 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

:sweeet:

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Aw, thought it was cracking wind up.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Aw, thought it was cracking wind up.

Nah genuinely out of order antipodean arsehole. And clearly known to be an arsehole as his mates dragged him away apologising profusely for his behaviour and having a go at him. 

vegas-voss

Had the in-laws round they left before the bells though.Watching the scenes from Edinburgh party when they left and at the bells it looks so sedated now.

periodictabledancer

Got tickets for the party down the local (free) , aboslutely brutal.  Got home to see Rod Stewart kill a few choons. 

Currently drinking  pints of Ballycastle topped up with Dalwhinnie Winter Gold  so I can forget. 

Happy new year Jambos. 

frankblack

I was at Pulp in the Gardens.  Excellent gig.  Shocking organisation with bar (singular) having half hour queues.

Which clowns set up something where your incompetence loses sales?

muldoon74

Had a great ride out today on the bike (CB125F), 45 miles from livi to Blackness, South Queensferry then back to livi..

Home in time to pick wife up from work then pick daughter up from her work at the Gyle (wife bribed me with beer)..

Wife conked out on couch for 7pm (she was up for work at half 5),..

She woke up a couple of times, I woke her just after the bells with a new year kiss and sent her off to bed. (She's back up at half 5 again..)

I've spent the evening watching still game and murder stuff, anything to keep me away from the bland, rehashed "Hugmann-nay" pish..

Had a wee dram (opened the M and S whiskey daughter got me for Xmas, wasn't too terrible to be fair, had worse. Always have a dram at new Year for my Dad).. 

Got 2 cans left, will finish them then take dog to garden for his "business".. *** fireworks sent him back in earlier at 10 o'clock! He'd only had a pish at the time.. 

Going back out on bike tomorrow as forecast is dry and sunny, albeit cold. 

So, that was my very uninteresting Hogmanay people.. 

Fair few posts describing how things used to be.. Gets you down a bit... Then I saw the 2024 on my PC taskbar.. 

Realised I'm 50 this year. 

In 2024 I think I need to try and not be such a Debbie-Downer... 

Happy new year Jambos!! 

Livi 0 - 3 Hearts

muldoon74
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was at Pulp in the Gardens.  Excellent gig.  Shocking organisation with bar (singular) having half hour queues.

Which clowns set up something where your incompetence loses sales?

Edinburgh City Council and the companies they contract with...