The ‘Feck Hogmanay’ thread..

Morgan

Horrible night.

Too many memories.

Another year gone.

Arseholes pished for the sake of it.

And, of course, gluttony and more drunkenness the following day.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• ri Alban

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Horrible night.

Too many memories.

Another year gone.

Pretty much, I'm usually in my bed at the usual time, I've haven't seen the bells in for years and years, I'll let my son and his mates pick up that button, he's off to a party, it's about his generation now.

59 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Horrible night.

Too many memories.

Another year gone.

What’s not to like then? :ninja:

A' tarraing nan ràimh maill ac' tro na neòil
'S soraidh slàn air ràdh ri gach halò
'S gach bliadhn' ùr ag èigheach as ùr
'S gach bliadhn' ùr a' cuir aghaidh ri speur bàn

They pull their slow oars through the clouds
And every old hello has become a goodbye
And every new year makes a brand-new cry
And every new year confronts an empty sky

I hate Hogmanay.

I'm not sure why, tbh, but I've never enjoyed it.

I'll probably end up with a Scottish Scrooge version of New Year's eve.

The Rev. I M Jolly, the ghost of NY past, taking me back to my first New Year's day derby memory in 1976: Hibs 3 Hearts 0 and my dad being home before the full time whistle.

We were 3 goals down after 20 mins and he, as a veteran of 0-7, thought, feck that and left.

NY day present would probably be The Proclaimers singing at me.

NY day future might be that Brighton investor showing me his turbo charged Hibs beating their new rivals, Celtic, to all but clinch their 10th successive title.

😊🤪

Edited by martoon

It’s my birthday as well as Hogmanay. So everyone says it must be brilliant having a double celebration. It isn’t. Imagine when you’re a little kid and your auntie is explaining why she can’t afford a present for you as in the background you can see her husband staggering into the house barely able to walk under the sheer weight of booze he is carrying. 
She gave me a post dated cheque one year. I was 10. I didn’t even have a bank account to deposit it into. 

manaliveits105

Weegie and plastic weegie "celebrities"

rolled out by both tv channels to help us bring in the NY - no matter how old they are  with a 30 second break to show us the fireworks from the Capital   - no thanks ! - abroad as usual .

I've never quite understood NYE. Had some great nights but it seems like most other nights with everybody stopping near midnight for a countdown. In fact it can often be worse as I think there's a bit of anxiety amongst some that it has to be a good night as well and often doesn't live up to the billing. 

Add in tickets for normal boozers and large parts of the city being ticket only and meh, no keen.  

I'll still go round to a mates if asked but my whole social group is a bit lukewarm on it as well. 

I remember my first NYE when I decided to stay in was about 4/5 years ago after folk had been at the flat and decided to head out. I declined and barring a short period around midnight (11.55-12

10) when I regretted a little bit not going with, I was completely comfortable with my decision and I've kinda kept it up since then. 

Fitzroy Pointon

I liked it when I was wee. Getting to stay up late and watching the good comedy on TV in the lead up to the bells. Bringing in the bells with a shandy and some shortbread and neighbours/family coming to the door after midnight. Then going visiting on new years day and seeing all my cousins. But you like shit like that when you're a kid don't you?

Nowadays, I'm in my bed usual time watching a film or reading and hopefully sleeping by the bells. NYD we usually take the wee one out a big walk and then back home for steak pie. I enjoy that. I haven't touched a drink since early August and I don't plan on touching one the remainder of this festive period. 

Nucky Thompson
5 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Weegie and plastic weegie "celebrities"

rolled out by both tv channels to help us bring in the NY - no matter how old they are  with a 30 second break to show us the fireworks from the Capital   - no thanks ! - abroad as usual .

At least folk can turn the telly over to regional channels and don't have to put up with the naff Scottish/Weegie pish

I hate New year and the 2nd January is just a nonsense holiday

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

Horrible night.

Too many memories.

Another year gone.

Might stay up late and go to bed at 11pm, my wife will be working, need to pick her up as theres limited buse's maybe none.

joondalupjambo

Used to go up to Roybridge, and stay in chalets up there for a few years in a row with about 8/9 folk and those few years were great.  Went up on the 27th and came back around the 6th January. Walking, hill climbing and having a ball.  Not the same when you grow up and get old 🙂

Edited by joondalupjambo

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Horrible night.

Too many memories.

Another year gone.

This.

il Duce McTarkin
58 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Used to go up to Roybridge, and stay in chalets up there for a few years in a row with about 8/9 folk and those few years were great.  Went up on the 27th and came back around the 6th January. Walking, hill climbing and having a ball.  Not the same when you grow up and get old 🙂

Done similar a few times, usually the Firest Holiday lodges at Strathyre with a trot up Ben Ledi on NYD. Also been camping in the Pentlands in the snow a few times with a roaring fire and plenty whisky. Cooking bannock in an old ammo tin in the fire with a suckling pig on the spit. Magic. A quick run up to the top of Capelaw hill for the bells to watch the fireworks over Edinburgh.

Better call Saul

Have a nice new year everyone !!

Did you have a nice new year ?

A quiet One !!!

Aye same as me !!

That's it for another year

blah blah blah blah blah 

Small talk pish 

Hate it 

Edited by Better call Saul

Fxxx the SPFL

Hogmanay in the Skyline four course meal a few bevvies and in with Hearts minded people, well mostly usually a good crack.

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

Horrible night.

Too many memories.

Another year gone.

Problem is, no derby the following day. I'll be in bed at 00:01 after the bells. 

That thing you do

New Years Eve we are off to one of Mexicos Pueblo Mágicos (or magic towns as the government calls them) called Cholula

The building you see is on top of the worlds largest pyramid (certified by Guiness) which is not the great pyramid in Egypt as many assume.

Wifes choice. Then its home in the evening to watch the fireworks with a hot drink.

images (13).jpeg

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Always have a lovely evening with the wife and kids. If you keep it low key, it can be loads of fun.

But feck going into town or any of that pish. Far too stressful 

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s my birthday as well as Hogmanay. So everyone says it must be brilliant having a double celebration. It isn’t. Imagine when you’re a little kid and your auntie is explaining why she can’t afford a present for you as in the background you can see her husband staggering into the house barely able to walk under the sheer weight of booze he is carrying. 
She gave me a post dated cheque one year. I was 10. I didn’t even have a bank account to deposit it into. 

Shan. 

highlandjambo3

When younger it was great….. blottoed for 3 days including a vermin pumping followed by a days recovery.  Now if I’m pished it’s 3 days recovery.  Not seen in the bells for many years now…..old fart I am

I hadn't done anything at NY for a long time.  Had a serious family accident on NYD and thereafter that knocked any desire to celebrate thereafter.

I have tickets for Pulp at the Gardens but wonder with the wind we have been getting if that is at risk.

Rupert Pupkin

After a few quiet ones at home doing nothing, we have been heading to friends in Peterborough for the past 4 years.. We have drinks , play games ( which always ends up with us in hysterics), and I usually have to make a big pot of Stovies… I’ve been informed that this year i have to do a big pot of “Staff” Curry instead.That’s one thing we introduced when we started going down, they weren’t big on Indian food, but since we have been going their sons have taken a real taste for it.

New Years day we get up have breakfast, prepare the nights dinner and head to the pub to play darts and drink.. 

This has restored my interest in it as I was very much sick of it all.. Now it’s two families having a great time.. Kids included 

Not my favourite time of year, too many not so nice memories, the drunkeness, the fights, things getting broken, sometimes it was bones sometimes it was skulls.....and that was just the women behaving badly. 🤣

My old Granddad, my mums dad, he used to get pished for a week, they all did tbh, anyway he was a guy who knew about his family.

Turned out both his Granny and her mother both died on hogmanay (years apart), so perhaps he got pished because he knew he had another year left once he made it past hogmanay.

He died in the street, walking up Candlemakers Row on his way to get his new year bottle from Greyfriars Bobby Inn.......yeh, it was hogmanay.

The White Cockade

yeah does nothing for me and go to bed as soon as possible 

still remember the usual ritual when I was younger up town then the Tron for the bells 

then your mate says he knows where there’s a party and you walk around for hours in the wind and rain and never find one

Walking home to Gracemount at 4 in the morning as you can’t find a free taxi

i’m glad those days are well gone for me!

13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Nowadays the only good thing about Hogmanay is Jools Holland's Hoot 'n' Nanny and that's pre-recorded in October/November.

I first watched it in or about 1996/97, and I've only missed one since, in 2013.  That was also the last year I was out for NYE, and I think I have to go back to about '94 or '95 for the previous time I was out. 

Jools plus guests, a few glasses of wine and some sandwiches and crisps, that's my Hogmanay. What an exciting life, eh? :laugh: 🎵

J.T.F.Robertson

MAY do British NY at the pub. (5 pm over here) Hame by 8 at the latest, possibly to a pre-ordered Indian.

WOO-HOO!

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I first watched it in or about 1996/97, and I've only missed one since, in 2013.  That was also the last year I was out for NYE, and I think I have to go back to about '94 or '95 for the previous time I was out. 

Jools plus guests, a few glasses of wine and some sandwiches and crisps, that's my Hogmanay. What an exciting life, eh? :laugh: 🎵

Sounds ideal! :wicked:

New Town Loafer

It is utter pish. I’ve probably enjoyed about 3 of them in my time.

Will probably have a wank thinking about Shankland and call it a night.

Used to love it in my younger, drinking days. Nowadays, I’ll have a couple drinks f beers to see in the bells and then be tucked up in bed by half 12.

I can’t believe that I used to stand on Princes Street, in the freezing cold. What an arsehole.

As long as Scots enjoy themselves and don't call it 'New Year's' 👍 

Britnats can feck off.  Nothing but eternal misery for them.

Edited by ri Alban

Nucky Thompson
34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I see that you've jumped right back in with both feet :biggrin2:

On 27/12/2023 at 17:51, Rupert Pupkin said:

After a few quiet ones at home doing nothing, we have been heading to friends in Peterborough for the past 4 years.. We have drinks , play games ( which always ends up with us in hysterics), and I usually have to make a big pot of Stovies… I’ve been informed that this year i have to do a big pot of “Staff” Curry instead.That’s one thing we introduced when we started going down, they weren’t big on Indian food, but since we have been going their sons have taken a real taste for it.

New Years day we get up have breakfast, prepare the nights dinner and head to the pub to play darts and drink.. 

This has restored my interest in it as I was very much sick of it all.. Now it’s two families having a great time.. Kids included 

That sounds class!

As a kid, my family would go through to my aunty & uncles, following year they'd come to us.

The cousins would hang out, dad and uncle would get pushed, mum and aunty too. Great memories which is what your kids are getting too.

Less into it now, but me, the missus and the dug are off to a wee cottage in the Trossachs. Food, wine, maybe a Munro 😳

Looking forward to it!

Thunder and Lightning
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Said the local drunk...

Lord Montpelier
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Happy new year when it comes. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:facepalm:

Oh, aussie.

I just don't see the point in celebrating a new year? it's pointless, you're back to work dealing with the same old shit a few days later. 

Mugs game. 

Dennis Reynolds

I'm out to meet up with some friends from London and to bring in the bells with a few bottles of wine.

Haven't done anything the last few years so looking forward to it. I'll be honest, if my mates weren't up I'd probably just stay on with a few other friends but it's a nice excuse to get out and enjoy yourself. 

AlphonseCapone
On 27/12/2023 at 10:45, Nucky Thompson said:

At least folk can turn the telly over to regional channels and don't have to put up with the naff Scottish/Weegie pish

I hate New year and the 2nd January is just a nonsense holiday

For anyone that doesn't know, and I only read about this recently, but the reason the 2nd is a bank holiday in Scotland is because until the 1950s or 60s, Christmas day wasn't. It was stopped as a public holiday following the reformation and it wasn't until then that it changed.

On 27/12/2023 at 14:21, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Always have a lovely evening with the wife and kids. If you keep it low key, it can be loads of fun.

But feck going into town or any of that pish. Far too stressful 

This for me. I would never in a million years to out, but having a small gathering of friends and family is nice.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Feckin Christmas and Feckin New Yeat.

Morgan can you tell this person about construction of sentences. 

Wait a minute!!!!!