Do you wear or even own a watch?

Angel eyes

Just now, Sooperstar said:

But then even when it was right it would be wrong. 

But then watches are much more wrong because they have lots of times on them.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Tazio

• periodictabledancer

• redjambo

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Overruled.

Watches have all the times on them but they don't tell all the times all of the time. They only tell one time at any one time. 

Most watches aren't in daily use though, so actually probably aren't set to the correct time. Even the ones that are set to the correct time are probably wrong because they aren't set accurately enough to the actual correct time and are instead set to the perceived correct time.

Does that make them more wrong than a piece of paper which has more than one time on it though? You tell me. 

3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Watches have all the times on them but they don't tell all the times all of the time. They only tell one time at any one time. 

Most watches aren't in daily use though, so actually probably aren't set to the correct time. Even the ones that are set to the correct time are probably wrong because they aren't set accurately enough to the actual correct time and are instead set to the perceived correct time.

Does that make them more wrong than a piece of paper which has more than one time on it though? You tell me. 

Are we talking southern or northern hemisphere?

henrysmithsgloves
51 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You could consider writing more times on it to make it even more accurate.

18 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

But then even when it was right it would be wrong. 

Top marks @Sooperstar😂😂

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Are we talking southern or northern hemisphere?

If a tree which is standing on the equator falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it then what hemisphere does it land in? 

5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

If a tree which is standing on the equator falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it then what hemisphere does it land in? 

Whichever one it prefers, I would imagine, since no-else is listening. It must be quite liberating for a tree not to be beholden to anyone or anything else for the actions it takes. What's that got to do with watches though, Soop?

Only used to wear a watch when I went out on the land, hunting or fishing. Sadly I don't even do that now! 😔

27 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Only used to wear a watch when I went out on the land, hunting or fishing. Sadly I don't even do that now! 😔

What about when you're up town getting pished? Nice to know what time it is surely? Even just to time the buses?

Heart of Darkness
6 hours ago, Bordeaux 03 said:

I wear a Garmin but mainly just to track runs and swims. 

Same, but if I'm not running or swimming I don't wear it. 😊

8 hours ago, redjambo said:

Whichever one it prefers, I would imagine, since no-else is listening. It must be quite liberating for a tree not to be beholden to anyone or anything else for the actions it takes. What's that got to do with watches though, Soop?

Don't start playing dumb now. 

9 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

What about when you're up town getting pished? Nice to know what time it is surely? Even just to time the buses?

Haha, I use the moon, and the wind, Paddy.

Actually, I'm hopeful that the missus has followed through with her suggestion to get me an airtag so that she can live track my wanderings post bevvy. Could save my life! :lol:

15 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I stopped wearing one decades ago because I would check in compulsively for no reason at all and realized once I stopped wearing it that I worried about time less.

I've thought about getting a "smart" watch to avoid having to look at my phone so much, but I'm on an iPhone now and the Apple ones are just fugly. If they had one that looked more like a normal watch, I might wear it.

I've also been given my grandfather's pocketwatch that my dad carried for years. I'm a bit scared to carry it for fear of breaking it, but it is gorgeous. (Also there's the fact that that particular grandfather was a scumbag but anyway . . .)

Plenty aftermarket cases/straps that can make an apple watch look more like a normal watch, you can also select faces so that the digital screen appears like a normal watch too

I personally have a fullmosa stainless steel strap on mine and makes a huge difference to the way it looks. 

I do want to get a proper, decent dress watch at some point but with the wee man just about to turn 1 I can't really justify splashing out on a watch just now

I've got a few watches and like to wear them but one thing I've changed is how I use my smart watch. 

My smart watch used to be connected to my work phone so I would never miss an email, a WhatsApp or text and this would continue out of hours so I always felt the compulsion to answer it. I've taken all those apps off of it and now just use it for golf at the weekend and that's made me less stressed.

Day to day is one of my G-Shocks, I love how they are basically the Nokia 3310 of the watch world. Sometimes my Citizen JR0080 if I want something a little smarter. I do have a Tag Monaco for formal occasions and a Breitling that was made specially for my old squadron that has never been worn but they'll go to my kids when I'm gone.

Edited by Statts1976uk

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Tbf it wasn't one of their best movements and a lot packed in.  Speaking of which,  I had an all original 6105 Apocalypse Now 'Willard'.  Bloody thing gave up the ghost.  If would be £2k now.

Wow, you don’t see many of them knocking about. £1200 for the reissue as well. 

I’ve got a few watches. Couple of G-Shocks, Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical, Omega Speedmaster and Rolex Explorer. I like mixing it up and love the history of different watches. Will but myself another for my 50th!

35 minutes ago, Zico said:

Wow, you don’t see many of them knocking about. £1200 for the reissue as well. 

I’ve got a few watches. Couple of G-Shocks, Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical, Omega Speedmaster and Rolex Explorer. I like mixing it up and love the history of different watches. Will but myself another for my 50th!

Very nice.  I'm jealous because I'm still kicking myself about the enormous **** up I made on a Submariner 14060 'no date 2 liner' I had.  I got it for about £3.5k and sold it for about £3k a couple of years later to a trader I used to deal with.  Better than the gargantuan hassle of selling a Rolex on ebay.  These things then went crazy and it would cost you about £8-10k for one now.  Plus it's one of the best Submariner dial layouts.  Looks even better off of the bracelet and on a vintage Bond stripe nato.  About as near to the Dr.No 6538 proto-Submariner as you get.

39 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Very nice.  I'm jealous because I'm still kicking myself about the enormous **** up I made on a Submariner 14060 'no date 2 liner' I had.  I got it for about £3.5k and sold it for about £3k a couple of years later to a trader I used to deal with.  Better than the gargantuan hassle of selling a Rolex on ebay.  These things then went crazy and it would cost you about £8-10k for one now.  Plus it's one of the best Submariner dial layouts.  Looks even better off of the bracelet and on a vintage Bond stripe nato.  About as near to the Dr.No 6538 proto-Submariner as you get.

Ouch! Not a fan of the cyclops so the no date sub, along with the explorer, is one of the few Rolexes I would buy. 

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

Ouch! Not a fan of the cyclops so the no date sub, along with the explorer, is one of the few Rolexes I would buy. 

I take it you have a Mk1 Explorer.  The Explorer II has a cyclops.  I believe this was recently beefed up to a 42mm case.  The 39/40mm with the cut-away fixed bezel made it a small wearing watch unless on the bracelet.  

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I take it you have a Mk1 Explorer.  The Explorer II has a cyclops.  I believe this was recently beefed up to a 42mm case.  The 39/40mm with the cut-away fixed bezel made it a small wearing watch unless on the bracelet.  

I’ve got the Explorer 1 in 39mm (the 214270 MK2 with the lume in the numerals). I’d tried the 36mm previously but that was too small for my wrist so the 39 is perfect.

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

The watch equivalent of a Humvee 4x4 or a Porsche 911 with a whale tail spoiler. 

I hear you. His 2 were both quite good looking TBF but when I once googled the brand, most were ridiculous - both in looks and price!

TBH I was shocked by the amount of money he had invested in watches but he seemed to know his stuff as he made money when he sold them... I assume there is a big market of suckers who will sell cheap to people who know their stuff?

Edited by Spellczech

Always wear a watch as it feels right. Generally wear a citizen eco watch I bought on a cruise but upgrade to an Omega, inherited from my dad, for posh occasions.  

People can spend their money on what they want, but it seems strange to me to spend hundreds of pounds on a watch, smart watch or not. I have a Casio watch I bought from Amazon for £24 three years ago, keeps virtually perfect time and I can change the battery myself when I need to. Each to their own I suppose.

5 minutes ago, Cheile said:

People can spend their money on what they want, but it seems strange to me to spend hundreds of pounds on a watch, smart watch or not. I have a Casio watch I bought from Amazon for £24 three years ago, keeps virtually perfect time and I can change the battery myself when I need to. Each to their own I suppose.

Isn't that the same with most things?  Ford Fiesta will get you around but people like buying Teslas and Mercedes.  I like buying nice clothes but I could just as easily buy the sort of stuff @Bull's-eye wears.

periodictabledancer

I like watches, the technlogy behind them fascinates me (whether traditional or modern) and i like many different styles. I own quite a few, none are "high end".

I just bought this - and my son is casting covetous eyes over it already. 

C60 Pro 300 Bronze

17 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I like watches, the technlogy behind them fascinates me (whether traditional or modern) and i like many different styles. I own quite a few, none are "high end".

C60 Pro 300 Bronze

That’s really nice. Christopher Ward have been releasing some beautiful watches in the last couple of years. And I think the new logos much better. 

periodictabledancer
10 minutes ago, Zico said:

That’s really nice. Christopher Ward have been releasing some beautiful watches in the last couple of years. And I think the new logos much better. 

:thumb:

I'vw been fancying a "rootbeer" for a while and looked at a Tudor (which I love) but when I saw Beckham was their "brand ambassador" I thought,  "feck that". 

The CW looks even beter in real life. 

Good point re the logo" : much nicer. 

• 2 weeks later...
smallfaces

Any Edinburgh area recommendations for a Breitling service and battery replacement?

Sooperstar
On 22/12/2023 at 14:13, periodictabledancer said:

C60 Pro 300 Bronze

Big fan of that. 

BlueRiver

I'd love to get one but I just know I'd spend a lot of money on it and then never wear it.

C60 Pro 300 Bronze

This is really nice though for sure! 

Thunder and Lightning
On 21/12/2023 at 17:02, Victorian said:

I reckon I have bought and sold in excess of 500 or 600.  A couple of sports model Rolex,  4 or 5 vintage Rolex,  various and many Omega,  Breitling,  Cartier,  Longines,  TAG Heuer,  IWC,  Zenith,  Oris,  Seiko.  Countless military diving,  pilot and field watches,  as well as a huge volume of microbrand / boutique brand ones.  

Currently operating with one good watch.  A CWC (Cabot) SBS special forces general issue.  Plus a silly Armani thing daily beater.

Any pictures? They sound very cool. 

Harry Potter

C60 Pro 300 Bronze

I love watches, have to wear one all the time.

AyrJambo
On 21/12/2023 at 17:16, Ron Burgundy said:

Same as me. Its a cracking watch, no battery or winding up and keeps great time.

This - runs on sunlight or artificial light and finished in Titanium

BM7440-51E

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, AyrJambo said:

This - runs on sunlight or artificial light and finished in Titanium

BM7440-51E

I like that style of integrated bracelet . It's not quite a Nautilus - but then neither is the price.

I dusted off my Rado last night for an airing. 

AyrJambo
16 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I like that style of integrated bracelet . It's not quite a Nautilus - but then neither is the price.

I dusted off my Rado last night for an airing. 

https://www.watchcentre.com/brands/a-z-brands/patek-philippe/patek-philippe-rare-nautilus-tiffany-co-5711-1a-010?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA4smsBhAEEiwAO6DEjXgO0Iot9SOuvcAlQJVLZsNrqeOFbsDD97wv0qQTnzOKrykO9MihGRoCLjQQAvD_BwE

£225K but I suppose it's all relative - like time itself!😜

Apple Watch for me. So I can keep an eye on my heart rate sleep and breathing

1 hour ago, Don Dan said:

Apple Watch for me. So I can keep an eye on my heart rate sleep and breathing

It kind of annoys me in a petty way that it’s called the Apple Watch. It is actually very clever and well designed wearable technology that just happens to keep the time as well. 

4 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

I've seen quite a few Patek Philippe watches I'd like to own, but that isn't one of them, TBH.

AyrJambo
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I've seen quite a few Patek Philippe watches I'd like to own, but that isn't one of them, TBH.

Chose that example because it has a similar look to the (wonderful) Citizen Eco-Drive being discussed earlier

14 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Chose that example because it has a similar look to the (wonderful) Citizen Eco-Drive being discussed earlier

Everyone's style is different, isn't it?  Mind you, I'm not about to actually spend that kind of money anyway.  :eek: 

1551374404490-425144d1e2186b7251dc250c56

5227j_001-1-1200x1200.jpg

noskillson

I wear an omega speedmaster continuously and have done for the past 25 years.... Would feel naked without it

Japan Jambo
On 21/12/2023 at 21:44, Victorian said:

I seem to recall reading that Seiko produced one of their top grade movements and it was tested to an accuracy that basically kicked the Swiss industry's arse.  But it was denied certified chronometer status,  basically on the basis of it not being Swiss.  

Grand Seiko Spring Drive. Great watches, they are effectively an automatic/quartz hybrid.

Victorian
39 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Grand Seiko Spring Drive. Great watches, they are effectively an automatic/quartz hybrid.

The Spring Drive is essentially a mechanical movement but augmented by an electronic regulator.  But even prior to the Spring Drive,  Seiko were making purely mechanical movements that were at least as good as the Swiss industry.

Victorian

I was a bad boy over the festive period and ended up buying a couple of watches.  A spectacularly flash TAG Heuer Formula 1 chronograph and a Seiko Marinemaster 'Tuna can'.  God knows how many tunas I've had now,  must be about 8.