Do you wear or even own a watch?

Angel eyes

Some are highly collectible and are extremely popular as a fashion accessory bigger & chunkier the better in some cases but what timepiece do you rock? Or do you go by the Steve Jobs quote no matter the cost $300 or $30 both serve the same purpose!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Tazio

• periodictabledancer

• redjambo

I have a watch but when I was quoted £20 to replace the battery, I put it back in its box and have never worn it since. If I need to check the time I just look at my phone. 

Have owned and wore a watch as long as I can remember, doesn't feel right if I don't have a watch on, especially when I got out. Don't have an extremely expensive or collectible one, just a Citizen Eco Drive that cost about £250, I think, when I got it.

I reckon I have bought and sold in excess of 500 or 600.  A couple of sports model Rolex,  4 or 5 vintage Rolex,  various and many Omega,  Breitling,  Cartier,  Longines,  TAG Heuer,  IWC,  Zenith,  Oris,  Seiko.  Countless military diving,  pilot and field watches,  as well as a huge volume of microbrand / boutique brand ones.  

Currently operating with one good watch.  A CWC (Cabot) SBS special forces general issue.  Plus a silly Armani thing daily beater.

Edited by Victorian

41 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Some are highly collectible and are extremely popular as a fashion accessory bigger & chunkier the better in some cases but what timepiece do you rock? Or do you go by the Steve Jobs quote no matter the cost $300 or $30 both serve the same purpose!

I wear a Tissot watch. I need to wear a very accurate timepiece for my job.

19 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Have owned and wore a watch as long as I can remember, doesn't feel right if I don't have a watch on, especially when I got out. Don't have an extremely expensive or collectible one, just a Citizen Eco Drive that cost about £250, I think, when I got it.

Same as me. Its a cracking watch, no battery or winding up and keeps great time.

If you want a truly accurate watch then the thing to get is a Casio G-Shock multiband 6 atomic time.  It automatically synchronises to the atomic clock several times daily.

I stopped wearing one decades ago because I would check in compulsively for no reason at all and realized once I stopped wearing it that I worried about time less.

I've thought about getting a "smart" watch to avoid having to look at my phone so much, but I'm on an iPhone now and the Apple ones are just fugly. If they had one that looked more like a normal watch, I might wear it.

I've also been given my grandfather's pocketwatch that my dad carried for years. I'm a bit scared to carry it for fear of breaking it, but it is gorgeous. (Also there's the fact that that particular grandfather was a scumbag but anyway . . .)

I’ve worn a watch every day of my life since I got one as a gift when I was in P1 at school. I tend to change what one I wear every week or so or if the occasion merits it such as a dress up so that requires a nice dress watch. Currently wearing a Citizen Pro Diver which keeps almost perfect time over the course of week. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I wear a Tissot watch. I need to wear a very accurate timepiece for my job.

I was presented with an 18k gold Tissot watch after 25 years service for the company I worked with, it's just a plain watch nothing fancy about it, but you can tell it's expensive just by the look of it, seemingly it cost over £300 back in 2005 when I got it.  Engraved on the back as well.

I've only worn it a few times, needs a new battery now, which I believe is £20 - £30 to replace maybe more.

I have a Tag Heuer ( I think called Aquaracer or something) watch which mainly sits in a drawer. I wear it on special occasions but it is more a piece of jewellery than a thing for telling the time. Was a bit of a waste of over £2k if I'm honest, but I believe it is still pretty much worth the same as was paid for it (but only because I intercepted my wife's attempt to bin the box and documents! haha

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I reckon I have bought and sold in excess of 500 or 600.  A couple of sports model Rolex,  4 or 5 vintage Rolex,  various and many Omega,  Breitling,  Cartier,  Longines,  TAG Heuer,  IWC,  Zenith,  Oris,  Seiko.  Countless military diving,  pilot and field watches,  as well as a huge volume of microbrand / boutique brand ones.  

Currently operating with one good watch.  A CWC (Cabot) SBS special forces general issue.  Plus a silly Armani thing daily beater.

My Canadian mate wouldn't give you the time of day as a collector unless you've had a Panerai or two...

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

My Canadian mate wouldn't give you the time of day as a collector unless you've had a Panerai or two...

Never quite got that itch.  I think it was because Panerai watches are so widely faked and 'homaged'.  

I wear my basic Casio watch on occasion, Silver metal yin. 

I've got an Armani in the cupboard which I don't bother with. 

My phone tells me the time.

I used to love buying and having watches but like everything else as I have got older I have cared less.I have a vintage Rolex Tudor Oyster 1963 in the box I got from my Dad.Only ever had it on a couple of times will go to my laddie when he is old enough to appreciate it.

Doctor FinnBarr

Always have and always will wear one, can't be arsed pulling a phone out my pocket to check the time. I never pay more than a tenner for them.

Have worn a watch almost everyday since I was at school - current daily is a garmin fenix, have a G-shock with the atomic clock thing when I'm not pretending to be getting fit and my great great grandads pocket watch for special occasions.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

The watch equivalent of a Humvee 4x4 or a Porsche 911 with a whale tail spoiler. 

adambraejambo

LIV GX-AC 

Citizen Pro master diver watch. 

Won't buy another till one of these breaks. I think the Citizen will last forever though. 

Just now, adambraejambo said:

LIV GX-AC 

Citizen Pro master diver watch. 

Won't buy another till one of these breaks. I think the Citizen will last forever though. 

Is your Pro Master an automatic? My one is and has accuracy way beyond its price point. 

adambraejambo
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Is your Pro Master an automatic? My one is and has accuracy way beyond its price point. 

Yes . Mine loses about 1 minute per month if I was to wear it everyday . It this one. Screenshot_20231221_212942_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.232bb00624d2096ace1b3df596e96c4d.jpg

I’ve got 5. Nothing too fancy. Think the most expensive one was £500. 

I absolutely love watches but appreciate if you only want to know what time it is then a phone will do the job. 

I’ve got a £50 shake and wind job, a rotary I never wear, a citizen eco drive, a Beauchat divers watch I bought in France in 1995 that cost about £200 then and the watch I wear for work / weddings which is a Davosa and cost about £500 about 10 years ago.

1 minute ago, adambraejambo said:

Yes . Mine loses about 1 minute per month if I was to wear it everyday . It this one. Screenshot_20231221_212942_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.232bb00624d2096ace1b3df596e96c4d.jpg

The usual baffling choice of models under the same name from Japanese manufacturers. I’ve got the Pepsi version of that, the crown at 8 O’clock is a really sensible feature for comfort as I often get a small bruise from conventional crowns on my other watches. 

IMG_0774.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Citizen's 'in house' movement branch is Miyota.  Many other makers employ Miyota calibres and they're highly thought of.  Equal to Seiko's NH series movements and even Swiss ETA or Sellita.

The Japanese can sure make watches.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Citizen's 'in house' movement branch is Miyota.  Many other makers employ Miyota calibres and they're highly thought of.  Equal to Seiko's NH series movements and even Swiss ETA or Sellita.

The Japanese can sure make watches.

Yep, and save money by not indulging in fancy movement decoration. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Yep, and save money by not indulging in fancy movement decoration. 

I seem to recall reading that Seiko produced one of their top grade movements and it was tested to an accuracy that basically kicked the Swiss industry's arse.  But it was denied certified chronometer status,  basically on the basis of it not being Swiss.  

Just now, Victorian said:

I seem to recall reading that Seiko produced one of their top grade movements and it was tested to an accuracy that basically kicked the Swiss industry's arse.  But it was denied certified chronometer status,  basically on the basis of it not being Swiss.  

That sounds familiar, possible one of the King Seiko watches from the late 60’s. I’ve got a couple of Citizens, the same of Orient, and a couple of Seiko. All keep great time and are reliable apart from the one which is considered a classic now, my Seiko SKX. Though that’s always been like that in terms of timekeeping accuracy. Industrial to say the least but for some reason appealed to people, possibly because of the modded watch market as you can get huge amounts of custom parts. 

I don't carry a mobile phone so I would never leave home without wearing a watch. I have 5 that I rotate, depending on what I am doing and where I'm going.   

That sounds familiar, possible one of the King Seiko watches from the late 60’s. I’ve got a couple of Citizens, the same of Orient, and a couple of Seiko. All keep great time and are reliable apart from the one which is considered a classic now, my Seiko SKX. Though that’s always been like that in terms of timekeeping accuracy. Industrial to say the least but for some reason appealed to people, possibly because of the modded watch market as you can get huge amounts of custom parts. 

Seikos are by far and away the most modded watches ever.  Quite a few modern vintage,  fairly basic original Seiko models are very sought after things.  Often retaining and going well beyond their original values.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Seikos are by far and away the most modded watches ever.  Quite a few modern vintage,  fairly basic original Seiko models are very sought after things.  Often retaining and going well beyond their original values.

I still regret not pulling the pin on a green Alpinist before the market went bonkers on them and they then released the updated one that is nowhere near as nice. At that time you could get a good one for not much over £300, then suddenly they were double that. 

I still regret not pulling the pin on a green Alpinist before the market went bonkers on them and they then released the updated one that is nowhere near as nice. At that time you could get a good one for not much over £300, then suddenly they were double that. 

:Agree:

It happened with the 6139 'Pogue'.  You could get a good one for under £100.  Couple of years later they were going for £600+.

The Pogue is named after NASA astronaut,  William Pogue.  He took his 6139 into space on a mission,  as well as his NASA issued Omega Speedmaster.  Quite a few of them smuggled their own watches along on missions.

Fitzroy Pointon

I've got a Tissot Seastar and a Garmin Vivoactive. £50 to replace the battery in the Tissot so it's basically a piece of jewellery right now until I bite the bullet on that one. 

1 minute ago, Салатные палочки said:

I've got a Tissot Seastar and a Garmin Vivoactive. £50 to replace the battery in the Tissot so it's basically a piece of jewellery right now until I bite the bullet on that one. 

If you’re not concerned about the water resistance on the Tissot get the battery changed at Timpsons and you can pay a tiny bit extra to get free battery changes for the life of the watch. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:Agree:

It happened with the 6139 'Pogue'.  You could get a good one for under £100.  Couple of years later they were going for £600+.

The Pogue is named after NASA astronaut,  William Pogue.  He took his 6139 into space on a mission,  as well as his NASA issued Omega Speedmaster.  Quite a few of them smuggled their own watches along on missions.

People were paying silly money for Pogues that looked they’d been dragged behind a car. And as is often the way you could still get a decent bargain as long as you didn’t want the classic gold/yellow dial like his one. 

My wife bought me a nice Seiko for my birthday about 10 years ago, nothing too fancy but fairly smart. 

It vanished when we moved house, this was during lockdown and she was pregnant at the time so had to move pretty much everything myself. To end up I was literally running out of the house with boxes to get finished on time. I had worn it on our wedding day and was absolutely gutted, went as far as going back to the old house and sifting through the communal wheelie bins to no avail. 

We moved again in September and it turned up in a bag she’d stored under the bed. I was pretty emotional when I found it !

Just now, Tazio said:

People were paying silly money for Pogues that looked they’d been dragged behind a car. And as is often the way you could still get a decent bargain as long as you didn’t want the classic gold/yellow dial like his one. 

Tbf it wasn't one of their best movements and a lot packed in.  Speaking of which,  I had an all original 6105 Apocalypse Now 'Willard'.  Bloody thing gave up the ghost.  If would be £2k now.

Fitzroy Pointon
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If you’re not concerned about the water resistance on the Tissot get the battery changed at Timpsons and you can pay a tiny bit extra to get free battery changes for the life of the watch. 

Aye the guy at Timpsons had given me a price for the lifetime one. £50 sticks in my head but not sure if it was for that. 

1 minute ago, dumpson said:

My wife bought me a nice Seiko for my birthday about 10 years ago, nothing too fancy but fairly smart. 

It vanished when we moved house, this was during lockdown and she was pregnant at the time so had to move pretty much everything myself. To end up I was literally running out of the house with boxes to get finished on time. I had worn it on our wedding day and was absolutely gutted, went as far as going back to the old house and sifting through the communal wheelie bins to no avail. 

We moved again in September and it turned up in a bag she’d stored under the bed. I was pretty emotional when I found it !

I lost a nice Longine dress watch I got for my 21st birthday at some point and think it was during a house move. It seems that a box went missing, sad about the watch but absolutely gutted that the rest of the box was my entire photo collection from my teenage years up into my 40’s. Totally irreplaceable and probably ended up on a landfill somewhere, a huge chunk of my life lost forever. 

That thing you do

I have a Tag I was given as an 18th Birthday present. It's inscribed. Don't wear it though.

Have a Samsung gear I do wear. But mostly for alerts

4 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I've the time written on a piece of paper,twice a day it is the correct time🧐

You could consider writing more times on it to make it even more accurate.

33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You could consider writing more times on it to make it even more accurate.

But then even when it was right it would be wrong.