JKB Secret Santa 2023

Ulysses

6 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Thanks for hosting again Ulysses.

Also - Honourable mention to @iantjambo, who has now finished third on three occasions (and also been kicked out of the game first on three occasions).

Some record that 😁

I’m happy just to get an honourable mention :lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• King prawn

• RobboM

• iantjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A wee request

I've been running this game for 15 years, except for one year when I had to take a step back for family reasons and Boof very kindly did the needful.

37 players took part this year.  AFAIK, I've personally met only three of them.  The other 34 are people I don't think I've met, and maybe I never will.

But I enjoy doing this for the people I don't know as much as for the people I do.  The last couple of years I've thought about opting out, but I talk myself into it, or get talked into it.  That's because I get a lot of enjoyment out of this - and a huge amount of that has to do with seeing the names of those regular players as they sign up again.

This year and last I've seen a handful of those well-known names falling out with each other over the game, and even though I can see why it's happening I wish that personal needling wouldn't creep into the game.  I don't expect everyone to get around a camp fire and sing Kumbaya or whatever.  But it's Christmas Eve, and in a little over 8 hours it'll be Christmas Day, whatever that means to each of us.

So no more sermonising from me, and apologies for that - but a wee request.  Just for now, whatever hatchets you might be holding on to, it'd be nice if you could bury them or put them aside.

Happy Christmas to y'all.  :santa: 

Doctor FinnBarr

Good fun again, thanks Uly and well done IPK.

PS. Got a firepit if anyone fancies a sing song.

Edited by Doctor FinnBarr

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

I've been running this game for 15 years, except for one year when I had to take a step back for family reasons and Boof very kindly did the needful.

37 players took part this year.  AFAIK, I've personally met only three of them.  The other 34 are people I don't think I've met, and maybe I never will.

But I enjoy doing this for the people I don't know as much as for the people I do.  The last couple of years I've thought about opting out, but I talk myself into it, or get talked into it.  That's because I get a lot of enjoyment out of this - and a huge amount of that has to do with seeing the names of those regular players as they sign up again.

This year and last I've seen a handful of those well-known names falling out with each other over the game, and even though I can see why it's happening I wish that personal needling wouldn't creep into the game.  I don't expect everyone to get around a camp fire and sing Kumbaya or whatever.  But it's Christmas Eve, and in a little over 8 hours it'll be Christmas Day, whatever that means to each of us.

So no more sermonising from me, and apologies for that - but a wee request.  Just for now, whatever hatchets you might be holding on to, it'd be nice if you could bury them or put them aside.

:spoton:

:clap:

I P Knightley
40 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Kaboom!  Another Secret Santa is detected!  

hughesie27 got a pressie for JudyJudyJudy!

Bang!  Another Secret Santa bites the dust!  

iantjambo got a pressie for AlphonseCapone!

Kablammo!  Another Secret Santa is outed!  

sadj got a pressie for Tams bird!

Therefore 36 Secret Santas have been detected, and one remains.

I P Knightley got a pressie for Shanks said no, and escaped detection!

Ho Ho, that's about it, Ho.  :smiliz19: 

Well Feck Me-he-he!

I just came back for a bit of idle wild guessing and lookee here what's happened!

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

:clap:

7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

Thanks again Uly, 

I am not sure, but I may have met you in a bar in Sarajevo in about 2009... So maybe its 4! 

18 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

Uly, a big personal thank you for running this mate. Your right, it is a bit of fun and we all should take it that way. 

Sending big love to you mate. 👍

17 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Well Feck Me-he-he!

I just came back for a bit of idle wild guessing and lookee here what's happened!

Congrats mate - enjoy the title of JKB secret Santa winner 2023! 

25 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Congratulations IPK

The masterstroke was whipping up the mob to oust the lurkers
image.jpeg.eeab073f5505362826edd24a6dd8880b.jpeg

I can't claim credit for that but it's a technique that's been employed a few years by various players; helped, to a huge extent, by those like @Gizmo who keep a meticulous record and are willing to share, albeit cryptically🤣. Honestly took me about 15 minutes to figure that I was the object of one of his clues :biglaugh:

9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

'Tis a shame that this pettiness sometimes creeps into the game but it is, after all, JKB and what would JKB be without some unfathomable stance-taking.

I'm often oblivious to it and apologise if some of my irreverent comments hit a nerve. Trust me that barbs are rarely aimed personally and never on a thread that's set out purely for fun.

So HUGE thanks to @Ulysses for yet another sterling performance; it brings us together far, far more than it divides.

Shanks - I hope you appreciate my crocheting. It was not an easy find.

@Jeff - I owe your lad some lagers. If you're at the Ross County game, I could try to arrange to get a wee tab behind the bar at a local hostelry of your choosing. You'd have to use the code phrase, "I'm Jeff and I P Knightley after a couple of lagers."

Thanks everyone for playing and your graceful good wishes. Now... get torn into the Baileys and have yourself a merry little Christmas time.

Damn, guess my tactic of waiting till later before joining in failed miserably, been super busy the past couple of days so was going to join in tonight, oh well. Well done IPK, and to all involved have a lovely Christmas 🎅🏻 

56 minutes ago, brownkg said:

Thanks @Ulysses for another year of head scratching and frustration but mostly fun. Maybe one day I'll  change my Username to move closer to the centre of the Alphabet

That is what I need to do too, I need to change to Jamboyvonne 😁

Cheers Ulysses was fun and I think that is the closest I have ever come to being undetected. 

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Damn, guess my tactic of waiting till later before joining in failed miserably, been super busy the past couple of days so was going to join in tonight, oh well. Well done IPK, and to all involved have a lovely Christmas 🎅🏻 

:biglaugh:

At one point, @Gizmo hinted that you and I were the least guessed donors. Although you may have been 'lurking', I had been quite the opposite. There's no rhyme or reason, although I do think that sitting nearer the middle of the alphabet can help.

What I didn't notice this year was much piling on. I've gone out a few times when one poster has guessed me and that's triggered others to go, "oh yeah, I'd forgotten about IP" resulting in a page of IP guesses. Something similar happened this year with Sadj, but he kind of brought it on himself by rising like a warrior and beheading Judy in one swift blow. Goal of the season stuff!

5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

At one point, @Gizmo hinted that you and I were the least guessed donors. Although you may have been 'lurking', I had been quite the opposite. There's no rhyme or reason, although I do think that sitting nearer the middle of the alphabet can help.

What I didn't notice this year was much piling on. I've gone out a few times when one poster has guessed me and that's triggered others to go, "oh yeah, I'd forgotten about IP" resulting in a page of IP guesses. Something similar happened this year with Sadj, but he kind of brought it on himself by rising like a warrior and beheading Judy in one swift blow. Goal of the season stuff!

Pfft 

I had “Vote King Prawn” plastered across the top of page 19 which prompted a fair few guesses my way 😆

luckyBatistuta

Well done @I P Knightley… a dual winner😱

Massive thanks also to @Ulysses who gives up so much of his time every year to run this at such a busy time of year

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you lovely ersholes:smiliz19:

IMG_6558.jpeg

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Well done @I P Knightley… a dual winner😱

Massive thanks also to @Ulysses who gives up so much of his time every year to run this at such a busy time of year

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you lovely ersholes:smiliz19:

IMG_6558.jpeg

Love it!

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

See yous all next year.

Thanks for the effort Ully. 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I can't claim credit for that but it's a technique that's been employed a few years by various players; helped, to a huge extent, by those like @Gizmo who keep a meticulous record and are willing to share, albeit cryptically🤣. Honestly took me about 15 minutes to figure that I was the object of one of his clues :biglaugh:

'Tis a shame that this pettiness sometimes creeps into the game but it is, after all, JKB and what would JKB be without some unfathomable stance-taking.

I'm often oblivious to it and apologise if some of my irreverent comments hit a nerve. Trust me that barbs are rarely aimed personally and never on a thread that's set out purely for fun.

So HUGE thanks to @Ulysses for yet another sterling performance; it brings us together far, far more than it divides.

Shanks - I hope you appreciate my crocheting. It was not an easy find.

@Jeff - I owe your lad some lagers. If you're at the Ross County game, I could try to arrange to get a wee tab behind the bar at a local hostelry of your choosing. You'd have to use the code phrase, "I'm Jeff and I P Knightley after a couple of lagers."

Thanks everyone for playing and your graceful good wishes. Now... get torn into the Baileys and have yourself a merry little Christmas time.

Haha don't be silly! Was just a wee joke for getting knocked out.

Enjoy the Christmas bonus and have a good one!

1 hour ago, yvonnejambo said:

Cheers Ulysses was fun and I think that is the closest I have ever come to being undetected. 

I had a small Inkling it was you when we got down to around 10 but I couldn't out you, thought you had a chance of winning and we've been on these hmfc forums for so long.

I tried to play a smart game this year, when I pointed out we had a couple of no guessers I hadn't placed a guess myself 😜 trying to go under the radar.

But as with last year one unerring dart out of the blue dashed my hopes rather than a run of guesses.

Thanks to Uly for running, it's a bit of a 'it's not Christmas until we get secret santa'...

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

A wee request

Spot on, i know i made one comment that was in poor taste to the nature of the thread and the game every year so apologies. 

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Well Feck Me-he-he!

Bloody lurker….😏

1 hour ago, yvonnejambo said:

Sorry Yvonne ❤️

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Lol, ill be adding that to my cv - Rose like a warrior and beheaded Judy in one swift blow. Such articulation.
Wasnt my fault it was those two persons of dubious character who kept goading me to join in the game yesterday.😏

The carnage and fun is all part of the joy of the game and thread every year. Congrats again 🇱🇻🤘🏻

4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

@I P Knightley becomes (IIRC) the first repeat winner of the game, having previously won in 2017.

@sadj came close to repeating his 2018 success, and @hughesie27 wasn't far off repeating his 2012 win.

Honourable mention to @iantjambo, who has now finished third on three occasions (and also been kicked out of the game first on three occasions).

I P Knightley wins the main prize of £200.

There is also a consolation prize of £50.  Details about that will be posted later.

Ho Ho, it's beginning to look a lot like mayhem, Ho.  :smiliz19: 

On 23/12/2023 at 00:34, Ulysses said:

Thwack!  Another Secret Santa bites the dust!  

hughesie27 got a pressie for JudyJudyJudy!

10 Secret Santas have been detected, 27 left.

Ho Ho, blue blue blue Christmas, Ho.  :smiliz19: 

Eh!! I got outed yesterday 🤣

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

@AlphonseCapone I hope you liked your wee Nikky doll :D

Haha I did mate, it'll be on the mantle piece!

Great fun as always @Ulysses. I assume he does but just for clarity, my posts to @sadj were always in complete jest.

I am changing my name next year though....

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Could I ask for a couple of helpers so I can do the draw for the £50 consolation prize?   :santa: 

What do you need?

As overall game winner, I P Knightley isn't in the draw for the consolation prize.  All other 36 players have a ticket each.  There's also one ticket for every successful outing of a Secret Santa - some of you did quite well there.  In addition to those, the last 5 Secret Santas to be detected are being given an extra couple of tickets each, and finally there's an extra ticket each for Shanks said no (the recipient of the game winner's pressie), for Clark Griswold (who fired the first successful shot this year) and for yvonnejambo (who outed the last Secret Santa of the game).  So there will be 87 tickets in all in the draw.

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

What do you need?

I'm looking for two people to make the draw.  I'll give them directions when I know who they are. :santa: 

Oh I won two tickets to the POTA this year worth £280 so there might have been ever more of an uproar if I had won this 😎

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m still no sure who guessed who I had fir a gift ? 

Do you mean who got your gift or who you got a pressie for?

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh I won two tickets to the POTA this year worth £280 so there might have been ever more of an uproar if I had won this 😎

You might win £50 yet.  :santa: 

6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

To Alphonse something else?  :santa: :runaway: 

Aardvark 😂

Cheers Uly. I'm in awe of everyone's ability to memorise over 1000 possible combinations with so few errors. I went 36 hours without sleep repeatedly going over past guesses and turning them into  a song to help me. Might try a few practice games  to be match fit next year.

image.thumb.jpeg.a04926c16ade29690b9713d2918eaee5.jpeg

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Spot on, i know i made one comment that was in poor taste to the nature of the thread and the game every year so apologies. 

Bloody lurker….😏

Sorry Yvonne ❤️

Lol, ill be adding that to my cv - Rose like a warrior and beheaded Judy in one swift blow. Such articulation.
Wasnt my fault it was those two persons of dubious character who kept goading me to join in the game yesterday.😏

The carnage and fun is all part of the joy of the game and thread every year. Congrats again 🇱🇻🤘🏻

merry xmas. I was bitter you outed me so found it fun you seemed raging 🤣 no hard feelings!

Just now, RobboM said:

Aardvark 😂

Cheers Uly. I'm in awe of everyone's ability to memorise over 1000 possible combinations with so few errors. I went 36 hours without sleep repeatedly going over past guesses and turning them into  a song to help me. Might try a few practice games  to be match fit next year.

image.thumb.jpeg.a04926c16ade29690b9713d2918eaee5.jpeg

I'm still designing a concept for a Secret Satan game.  If I perfect it I'll approach the admins with a proposal.   :devil-smiley-029:

15 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

Happy to help @Ulysses

14 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Thanks.  :santa: 

One more? :santa2: 

We don't seem to have another volunteer, it being a bit late on Christmas Eve, so let me know @yvonnejambo if you're still free and we'll go ahead with the draw anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

We don't seem to have another volunteer, it being a bit late on Christmas Eve, so let me know @yvonnejambo if you're still free and we'll go ahead with the draw anyway.

Yeah this old bird is still here 😁