Christmas Dinner

hughesie27

What's on your menu?

I'll be having a Prawn Cocktail with buffalo sauce.

Will just be doing a crown maybe topped with bacon for main

Likely make a Banoffee pie for dessert.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Greedy Jambo

• Morgan

• Dawnrazor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

henrysmithsgloves

No Chinese this year,Mrs has this year off so far😞 so some home cooked monstrosity 🤢🤢 hopefully she gets called out🤞

Soup (Scotch Broth or Lentil) with toasted rye bread.

Chicken.  Roast taters.  Roasted chalots.  Roasted carrots.  Sprouts.  Pigs in blankets.  Pickles.  Red and white wine.

Beer,  gin,  Havana Club,  Jack Daniels.

Hopefully Prawn Cocktail to start, either a roast of our own grass fed Luing cattle, failing that, something I can go and kill, venison, pheasant or duck, all the trimmings (extra sprouts for me.

Cherry trifle for pud'.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

What's on your menu?

I’m doing prawns too. What’s buffalo sauce?

25 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I’m doing prawns too. What’s buffalo sauce?

It's a generic term like BBQ or Ketchup so plenty options. I'll be using this stuff though. Just a few drops over the top as I don't want it over powering them. It's a hot sauce but not blow your head off. Goes well with the creamy Marie Rose.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/hot-chilli-sauces/franks-red-hot-buffalo-wings-sauce/910000567028?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_--_-dskwid-_dm&s_kwcid=AL!11432!3!!!!x!!&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyeWrBhDDARIsAGP1mWQgP7k1pCBDLpuQm6CEqDzbZqavPMlaLHyBqrS8kjBk2iwXUQBRHSoaAtANEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hopefully Prawn Cocktail to start, either a roast of our own grass fed Luing cattle, failing that, something I can go and kill, venison, pheasant or duck, all the trimmings (extra sprouts for me.

Cherry trifle for pud'.

Get yourself down the south coast and bag yourself some long pig from one of those small boats.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

16 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Get yourself down the south coast and bag yourself some long pig from one of those small boats.

It's the difficult interview with the police after that's a bit off putting.

30 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

It's a generic term like BBQ or Ketchup so plenty options. I'll be using this stuff though. Just a few drops over the top as I don't want it over powering them. It's a hot sauce but not blow your head off. Goes well with the creamy Marie Rose.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/hot-chilli-sauces/franks-red-hot-buffalo-wings-sauce/910000567028?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_--_-dskwid-_dm&s_kwcid=AL!11432!3!!!!x!!&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyeWrBhDDARIsAGP1mWQgP7k1pCBDLpuQm6CEqDzbZqavPMlaLHyBqrS8kjBk2iwXUQBRHSoaAtANEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

👍

Big, shell-on tiger prawns, quickly stir fried and served with scallop shell gratins, salad, brown bread, butter and lemon juice.

Buck's fizz (premixed cheap shite).

Boneless three-bird roast served with all the trimmings (stuffing balls, yorkshire puddings, sprouts&bacon, pigs in blankets, duck-fat roasted potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips, red wine gravy, cranberry sauce)

Red wine.

Xmas pudding with single cream or custard.

Mulled ciders.

Cheeseboard, Grasshopper pie.
Liqueur coffees, cocktails (snowballs, grasshoppers, barbary coast, G&T).

Everybody falls asleep in front of the telly then wakes up for more bevvy and assorted salty snacks/chocolate selection boxes until it's bed time.

Edited by Cade

14 minutes ago, Cade said:

Big, shell-on tiger prawns, quickly stir fried and served with scallop shell gratins, salad, brown bread, butter and lemon juice.

Buck's fizz (premixed cheap shite).

Boneless three-bird roast served with all the trimmings (stuffing balls, yorkshire puddings, sprouts&bacon, pigs in blankets, duck-fat roasted potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips, red wine gravy, cranberry sauce)

Red wine.

Xmas pudding with single cream or custard.

Mulled ciders.

Cheeseboard, Grasshopper pie.
Liqueur coffees, cocktails (snowballs, grasshoppers, barbary coast, G&T).

Everybody falls asleep in front of the telly then wakes up for more bevvy and assorted salty snacks/chocolate selection boxes until it's bed time.

What birds, Turkey Chicken Duck?

I've done a few with game, really like them.

Nucky Thompson

Prawn cocktail

Roast lamb with all the trimmings

Homemade cheesecake with fresh cream or Christmas pudd and brandy sauce, or maybe even both.

But the best thing is, I don't even have to lift a finger :biggrin2:

highlandjambo3

beef wellington…….all the Sunday roast trimmings…….then when there’s room it’ll be grazing all day on a large selection of Tesco finest party food………and a trough of wine…..don’t forget the cheeseboard.

Straight into the main course at Chez AJ ... T-Bones instead of turkey but still same trimmings. :D

Not sure I can be arsed making a trifle this year but will probably do so in the end.

Can't seem to drink when I'm eating so doing so would be foolish, as I like my scran.

Prawn cocktail for the adults. Soup for the kids.

Turkey, Gammon and Pork with all the traditional trimmings.

Dessert hasn’t been confirmed yet.

Bevvy, bevvy and more bevvy.

10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Usually just before I’m awake 😏

😳. Surely you can bring yourself to get up and make the loo? 🎅 💩😂

19 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

When’s everyone having their Christmas log?

Usually a few hours after I've eaten Christmas dinner and can finally move again.

I know a lot of people don't like turkey, but I love it, and all the leftover turkey meals you have for days (or weeks) later. Curry with leftover turkey being a personal favourite. I've never liked sprouts but the mother-in-law does a nice sprout dish where they're shredded and mixed with cream and nutmeg then topped with breadcrumbs/cheese (I think that's whats it in anyway).

Prawn Cocktail (Homemade sauce)

Duck Crown and a Ham Joint with Goose Fat Roasties, Carrots, Parsnips and Kilted Sausages (no decision made any stuffing)

And an unbelievablely good Chocolate Lodge from local baker (which I've already pre booked)

Haggis and black pudding bon bons with peppercorn sauce

Choice of chicken/beef/ham (I'll have all 3 :lol:) plus all the trimmings.

Chocolate and toffee torte.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

What birds, Turkey Chicken Duck?

I've done a few with game, really like them.

Aye those are the usual ones but not doing entire birds this year as it's not very many people to cater for.
I'll just buy a pre-made one from whichever supermarket is doing them this year. For some reason not every shop does one every year.
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-specially-selected-turkey-chicken-and-duck-three-bird-roast-12kg/4088600318516

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Never heard of grasshopper pie. Sounds good though.

It's a Nigella recipe, from her "Kitchen" book.

A bit like a cheesecake. 
Oreo biscuit base, then a filling of melted marshmallows, cream, creme de menthe and creme de cacao liqueurs.
Don't panic if the filling seems very, very liquid when you pour it in, it WILL set in the fridge after a few hours.
https://www.tasteatlas.com/grasshopper-pie/recipe/marshmallow-grasshopper-pie
img_0011_out.png

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye those are the usual ones but not doing entire birds this year as it's not very many people to cater for.
I'll just buy a pre-made one from whichever supermarket is doing them this year. For some reason not every shop does one every year.
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-specially-selected-turkey-chicken-and-duck-three-bird-roast-12kg/4088600318516

It's a Nigella recipe, from her "Kitchen" book.

A bit like a cheesecake. 
Oreo biscuit base, then a filling of melted marshmallows, cream, creme de menthe and creme de cacao liqueurs.
Don't panic if the filling seems very, very liquid when you pour it in, it WILL set in the fridge after a few hours.
https://www.tasteatlas.com/grasshopper-pie/recipe/marshmallow-grasshopper-pie
img_0011_out.png

I can highly recommend a 3 bird roast made with Gamebirds, they can be smaller if there's only a couple of you and s much tastier. I do mine with pheasant/partridge/woodcock or pigeon, or, for a few more people, goose/duck/pheasant.

https://www.donaldrussell.com/three-bird-game-roast.html

Edited by Dawnrazor

1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

I know a lot of people don't like turkey, but I love it, and all the leftover turkey meals you have for days (or weeks) later. Curry with leftover turkey being a personal favourite. I've never liked sprouts but the mother-in-law does a nice sprout dish where they're shredded and mixed with cream and nutmeg then topped with breadcrumbs/cheese (I think that's whats it in anyway).

That sounds right tasty.

I usually do a sprout dish as follows:

Prep a load of sprouts by slicing off the dry end and removing the dark green outer leaves, then slicing the brussels in half.

Put them on to par-boil for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, dry fry some lardons of bacon. The fat will render out in no time.

Once the bacon is nice and crispy, remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve.

Finely slice some garlic and very quickly soften it in the bacon fat.

Push the garlic to one side of the pan and scoop out most of the fat from the other side of the pan.

Add in the parboiled and drained brussels and enough chicken stock to come about halfway up the sprouts.

Cook over a low heat until the sprouts are done to your liking.

If you think it needs it, optionally thicken the sauce with a roux (equal parts butter and plain flour mashed together).
Just before serving, mix the crispy bacon through the dish.

*Other optional extras include chestnuts, pickled walnuts, dried cranberries, flaked almonds.

The sprouts can also be shredded instead of just cut in half, in which case they won't need the parboil, just being cooked in the stock.

Edited by Cade

Fitzroy Pointon

South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken 

Chicken Chasni

Garlic Naan

Chicken Pakora 

Spiced Onions 

Poppadoms

1 hour ago, Cade said:

I usually do a sprout dish as follows:

Prep a load of sprouts by slicing off the dry end and removing the dark green outer leaves, then slicing the brussels in half.

Put them on to par-boil for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, dry fry some lardons of bacon. The fat will render out in no time.

Once the bacon is nice and crispy, remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve.

Finely slice some garlic and very quickly soften it in the bacon fat.

Push the garlic to one side of the pan and scoop out most of the fat from the other side of the pan.

Add in the parboiled and drained brussels and enough chicken stock to come about halfway up the sprouts.

Cook over a low heat until the sprouts are done to your liking.

If you think it needs it, optionally thicken the sauce with a roux (equal parts butter and plain flour mashed together).
Just before serving, mix the crispy bacon through the dish.

*Other optional extras include chestnuts, pickled walnuts, dried cranberries, flaked almonds.

The sprouts can also be shredded instead of just cut in half, in which case they won't need the parboil, just being cooked in the stock.

Sounds awesome but a lot of work so nae sprouts in my hoose. Or parsnips. ****ing vegetable of the devil. 

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haggis and black pudding bon bons with peppercorn sauce

Choice of chicken/beef/ham (I'll have all 3 :lol:) plus all the trimmings.

Chocolate and toffee torte.

What time should we come round😂

Turkey isn't really about xmas dinner itself; it's about the hefty turkey, stuffing, mayonnaise and cranberry sauce sandwiches on boxing day.

Last time I cooked for a large gathering I did a full 4-rib roast of beef, on the bone.

Smothered with english mustard and cooked to a perfect medium rare.
Even that year I also did a turkey breast specifically for having cold on boxing day.

29 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Sounds awesome but a lot of work so nae sprouts in my hoose. Or parsnips. ****ing vegetable of the devil. 

Whole dish only takes about 10 minutes start to finish and two pans (one pan if you shred the sprouts)

Brussel-Sprouts-with-Bacon-And-Garlic-3-

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Whole dish only takes about 10 minutes start to finish and two pans (one pan if you shred the sprouts)

Brussel-Sprouts-with-Bacon-And-Garlic-3-

Ooft. That does look good. 

imagine that in a bubble and squeak on Boxing Day (insert frothing GIF)😂

That thing you do
8 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

What's on your menu?

Ill be with my in laws this year so a Mexican christmas. The turkey thing isnt a tradition here so we are doing a Mexican version of the christmas menu with a Mexican and Scottish mix of flavours

Starters

Salmon Salad with Chiles

Pozole Soup (a very hearty winter soup)

Small Tortilla Tacos de Camarones (shrimp tacos)

Main

A range of opt in dishes

Mole Ne gro(pictured dark dish)

Chile Relleno con Picadillo (pictured Chile dish though our family wraps it in egg as well)

Turkey breast with haggis stuffing and gravy

Sweet potato mash

Rice

Milanesa de Res - méxicos version of the schnitzel

Desserts

Rice Pudding

Ice Cream

Corn Cake (pictured)

Marshmallows toasted with chocolate sauce

images (7).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

Edited by That thing you do

7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's the difficult interview with the police after that's a bit off putting.

Your communication skills seem pretty decent.  You'll be fine.  :laugh: 

9 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Long Pig was the term used by the Maori in New Zealand in the 19th century to describe British soldiers they killed in battle, and subsequently ate. 

Homemade butternut coconut and chilli soup 

A chocolate cake I will also make.

i am spending it on my own this year and absolutely delighted. 

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, Section Q said:

Long Pig was the term used by the Maori in New Zealand in the 19th century to describe British soldiers they killed in battle, and subsequently ate. 

It was a favourite of the high-seas buccaneers too, apparently.

21 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Disappointing Nut roast.

Expensive bottle of Port to wash it down.

I've had nut roast a few times. Awful. I mean, i wanted to enjoy it.