Shane McGowan RIP

Dawnrazor

Legendary caner and lyrical genius Shane McGowan has passed away aged 65.

Such a shame his talent was wasted at the bottom of a bottle.

He can waltz with Kirsty McColl in heaven.

Just got a newsflash from the BBC. Dead at 65 and he’s been ill for quite some time. Fair play to him lasting that long he had quite the wild life. Great lyricist, songs like A Pair Of Brown Eyes showed beautiful poetry. Also a an epic version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. 

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I feared the worst when I saw recent photos of him.

RIP.

The photos his partner was putting on social media were quite shocking though she was obviously posting them with good intentions. 

That absolutely sucks.

One of the first bands I ever saw live in the early 90s and always loved their first four albums.

Some of the songwriting is just incredible. 

I'm a man you don't meet every day is one if my favourite songs ever.

Kind of surprised he lived as long as he did tbh.

RIP.

29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I feared the worst when I saw recent photos of him.

RIP.

Yeah, saw those. He was knocking on the door there.

Been some year for departed musical talents - his pal Sinead not long ago.

What a talent he was.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Creator of the greatest Christmas song ever, which I will have immense joy in playing tomorrow as it is acceptable. RIP.

Just now, The new West End said:

A genuine genius

RIP

Indeed, it'll only be now that people will really appreciate his son writing talent.

Fitzroy Pointon

Ah that is sad. I love the Pogues and the Popes. RIP Shane. 

Two of my particular favourites....

been here before

First saw the Pogues when I was 14/15, last saw them in Glasgow at the 02 during their final tour in 2013 and a fair few times inbetween. Was at the Barrowlands the night the Pogues lined up with Strummer, Kirsty McColl and a few of The Specials and brought the olace down.

MacGowan was a once in a generation underated songwriter. He could have you in tears ine minute, ripping your heart out the next then jigging like a fury the next.

The first 3 Pogues albums along with the Poguetry In Motion EP were the soundtrack to my young life, be it his own writing or that of others they covered. Other bands came and went, some staying longer than others but the Pogues remained.

Even after he left/was sacked he knocked out a few good tunes on the 2 Popes albums.

Ill be blasting them out this weekend.

5 minutes ago, Салатные палочки said:

Ah that is sad. I love the Pogues and the Popes. RIP Shane. 

Two of my particular favourites....

A Pair of Brown Eyes is my ultimate Pogues song. It's just perfect.

Rest in peace . Gives me hope that I could have 35 years left if that nutter made it to 65

I recommend the documentary about the making of the song Fairytale of New York to anyone who wants a laugh and an interesting hour of television

Edited by Sooks

12 minutes ago, been here before said:

First saw the Pogues when I was 14/15, last saw them in Glasgow at the 02 during their final tour in 2013 and a fair few times inbetween. Was at the Barrowlands the night the Pogues lined up with Strummer, Kirsty McColl and a few of The Specials and brought the olace down.

MacGowan was a once in a generation underated songwriter. He could have you in tears ine minute, ripping your heart out the next then jigging like a fury the next.

The first 3 Pogues albums along with the Poguetry In Motion EP were the soundtrack to my young life, be it his own writing or that of others they covered. Other bands came and went, some staying longer than others but the Pogues remained.

Even after he left/was sacked he knocked out a few good tunes on the 2 Popes albums.

Which one, Tyson or Tommy?

I am not a fan of the pogues.

I recognize genuine talent when I hear and see it. Sixty Five is considered young nowadays. RIP Shane McGowan.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Sad news 😞 

Fairytale of New York to be Christmas No.1?

What I thought to.

Imagine there will be some kind of a campaign.

1 minute ago, Australis said:

What I thought to.

Imagine there will be some kind of a campaign.

I would assume so. Both the singers have passed away now.

15 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Sad news 😞 

Fairytale of New York to be Christmas No.1?

Didn't know but it only made it to No 2 when originally released.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, been here before said:

That's some line-up. What a memory to have.

First Popes album is a classic. Bad boy Johnny Depp is on it too IIRC.

Jealous as.

been here before
4 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

That's some line-up. What a memory to have.

First Popes album is a classic. Bad boy Johnny Depp is on it too IIRC.

Jealous as.

Aye.

Kirtsy McColl was there on the back of Fairytale, the boys in The Specials were part of the band who were supporting (whose name I forget now) and Strummer was kicking about with the Pogues at that point.

If memory serves they done London Calling, I Fought The Law and Rudi, A Message To You. There's a bit of me thats sure some of it was recorded and might be on the back of a 12" but Im not going up to the loft to check 😄

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, been here before said:

What year was that? I saw them at the SECC in December 98 and Ko, Kirsty and the Specials were there too. The place was bedlum and I lost a trainer!

been here before
40 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye.

Kirtsy McColl was there on the back of Fairytale, the boys in The Specials were part of the band who were supporting (whose name I forget now) and Strummer was kicking about with the Pogues at that point.

If memory serves they done London Calling, I Fought The Law and Rudi, A Message To You. There's a bit of me thats sure some of it was recorded and might be on the back of a 12" but Im not going up to the loft to check 😄

Id need to check but 89ish or there abouts.

Edited by been here before

Carl Fredrickson
20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Id need to check but 89ish or there abouts.

I meant December 88! The stage set had a phone box on it and the songs tie in with what you heard. I thought the gig I was at was special too!

I saw them a couple of times at the Playhouse in the mid 80s and they didnt disappoint. Very talented musicians. 

1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Didn't know but it only made it to No 2 when originally released.

:facepalm:

Yeah, Always on my Mind - Pet Shop Boys, took top spot in 1987.

Bookies already have it as 1/4 favourite to be number 1 this year.

The new West End
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I seem to recall that Strummer was the de facto lead singer and proper band member for a while when McGowan was out of the game. 

Certainly was when they played the Playhouse

A few good bootlegs kicking about iirc

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Could be worse I suppose. Not Joe Dolce at least.

Toxteth O'Grady
2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Great cover by the Pet Shop Boys 

New Town Loafer
17 hours ago, Homme said:

A Pair of Brown Eyes is my ultimate Pogues song. It's just perfect.

Came to that song through Christy Moore. Lovely song.

ToadKiller Dog

A great talented guy who lived the hard life a little too much ,some very soulful words in his songs .

I'm sure fairy tale will get to number one .

Just hope the type of folk McGowan would have detested (daily mail ,tufton street cretins ) don't stir up a totaly manufactured antiwoke fest over a certainly lyric .

5 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Came to that song through Christy Moore. Lovely song.

You've probably heard this.  Now that it's officially December I feel I can post it.

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

You've probably heard this.  Now that it's officially December I feel I can post it.

Yep, quite liked that version too!

His funeral screened live on bbc news and sky . It’s a great  service and has been rocking at times, even singing “ the fairy tale of New York “ ( with all the lyrics ) . 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

His funeral screened live on bbc news and sky . It’s a great  service and has been rocking at times, even singing “ the fairy tale of New York “ ( with all the lyrics ) . 

The singing of Fairytale is on Sky News site  in full absolutely brilliant 

https://news.sky.com/video/share-13025806