• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• periodictabledancer

• Sooks

• Luckies1874

Unreal that anyone would have a hardest 11 and not have Bruno in it haha. He was one of the most feared footballers ever, never mind Hearts players! 

Ally Mauchlen was mental as well. 

And not that he's hard, maybe just brave or mad, but the 5 and a half foot tall Cammy Devlin wil always have my respect for squaring up to 6ft5 Ryan Edwards v Dundee Utd 🤣

Edited by Batistuta87

5 minutes ago, R9. said:

3 pages in and no mention of Elvis the man was solid! a leader a LION I would follow him into Battle.

But how would you feel a few years later when you looked out across the battlefield and saw him kneeling under the enemys flag ? ( only part serious )

6 minutes ago, R9. said:

3 pages in and no mention of Elvis the man was solid! a leader a LION I would follow him into Battle.

Elvis was a snidey, backstabbing rat. No use whatsoever in the trenches. 

13 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Claire Cowan deserves a mention for slapping a few Hibees about at the end of last season. 😉 

**** aye, she was ready for a square go with anything in green 😂

4 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Miko? Surely not... 

Yep, Miko is another with 4 red cards. 

1. Zaliukas 7

2. McKay 6

3. Robertson 6

4. Levein 6 

5. Kidd 5

6. Hartley 5

7. Stewart 5

8. Maybury 4

9. Cochrane 4 

10. Mikoliunas 4

Edited by Luckies1874

13 hours ago, RS86 said:

Neil Berry strolls into this.

Without a shadow of a doubt. Never shat out of anything. Wholly committed and a tremendous servant in his time at the club. 

Not many players with more Hearts appearances than Chuck. 

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Levein? Punching a teammate? A hard man has to be able to kick players, without being forced off with an injury. 
Hugh Burns was mental. Rousset was tough for a GK, wasn’t scared of a physical challenge. Stephane Mahe. Mike Galloway. Ian Black. Ryan Stevenson. Salvatori. 
Kyle, Busby and Bruno my favourites. 

He had a fight with a teammate, hardly unusual. Not everyone would have taken on Hogg and come out on top .

Despite being out for 2-3(?) years played about 400 games .

Hardly a shrinking violet

JC needs to be on it.

Hard as nails.

Kicked up and down the place every week and just got on with.  Sign of a proper hard man, not one of these guys that hides behind refs pretending to be a hard guy.

I know a lot of you youngster think your picks were hard but first and second on anyone's list must be John Cumming and David Mackay.  Drew Busby would probably be third.  

Graham Thomson

Players that I actually saw playing. That were hard but could play. 

GK Cruickshank

Walter kidd 

Neil pointon 

Bruno 

Levein 

Busby

Fulton 

Colqhoun

Robbo 

W. Johnston 

Clarke 

Subs McLaren

Kyle

McPherson

Townsend

Winchester

R Stevenson 

I Black 

Edited by Graham Thomson

2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Big Janny surely deserves a mention, if only for showing Scott Brown up for the wee scrote that he was.

And getting sent off in the process

7 hours ago, Hansel said:

No Jamie Hamill?

One of the stupidest things I've ever seen a player do live, he missed the derby cause of that!

Also probably simultaneously the funniest though :rofl: mad ******* that he was

N Lincs Jambo
11 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Big Janny surely deserves a mention, if only for showing Scott Brown up for the wee scrote that he was.

Agreed. Also if that’s a criterion then Naismith also gets in. Studs right into Broonaldo’s hee-haws (wish I had the pic)!

2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Agreed. Also if that’s a criterion then Naismith also gets in. Studs right into Broonaldo’s hee-haws (wish I had the pic)!

And got away with it .

Think we should have a Sneaky X1 thread

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Without a shadow of a doubt. Never shat out of anything. Wholly committed and a tremendous servant in his time at the club. 

Not many players with more Hearts appearances than Chuck. 

30th on the all time list with 316 appearances. When you watch back some of the great matches, that sadly too often ended unluckily for us, in the mid to late 80’s, against very good Celtic sides, he was always a big figure for us in the middle of the park. Had way less talent than the likes of McStay and McLair but they always knew they’d been in a hell of a game! When you watch the ‘efforts’ against the Old Firm these days it shows you how far attitude, desire, passion and hunger can get you. 

6 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

30th on the all time list with 316 appearances. When you watch back some of the great matches, that sadly too often ended unluckily for us, in the mid to late 80’s, against very good Celtic sides, he was always a big figure for us in the middle of the park. Had way less talent than the likes of McStay and McLair but they always knew they’d been in a hell of a game! When you watch the ‘efforts’ against the Old Firm these days it shows you how far attitude, desire, passion and hunger can get you. 

Frequently deployed to do a man to man job on McStay. Often resulting in McStay being completely nullified.

The challenge on Paul Wright was something else!

14 hours ago, martoon said:

John Millar:

A tough tackling midfielder 30 years back who had skill and goals in him to back it up.

Walter Kidd:

Hard as nails and, as the story goes, left Hugh Burns in no doubt as to what he could do with his Rangers brand of "values".

Completely agree about John Colquhoun:

He was feckin unbreakable.

Once read a article from JC and he said Zico was like a guardian angel to him. Anyone who put him up in the air then got it 10 times harder in return from Zico. Well documented back in the day he had that bigot Shuggie Burns pinned up against the dressing room wall. Walter defo in the hard man category for me. 

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

apologies if mention but not one of the more popular ones but Hugh(Shuggy) Burns also came across as hard as ****. 

Liked Shuggy 

2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Arthur Thomson a hairdresser!

Hard to believe but aye...he would probably have preferred the term barber though

Edited by moonraker

2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Big Arthur joined the police after his football career finish. 

1 minute ago, john thomas said:

Dave Mackay sold ties. Real hard men know when to turn it of. I've worked with several SF guys in the forces. Proper gents out of the office.

Page three and I see no mention of former Hearts CAPTAIN Perry Kitchen? A man hailed by Zlatan for his ability to get stuck in? A hard man who would be on a path to club legend status if not for Cathro not understand his brilliance for passing backwards and tackling? The only man who ever made me consider purchasing a kit? 

Disgrace!

Many moons ago, I was chatting to Paul Heggarty (Ex Dundee United) who told me the hardest player he ever played against was Sandy Clark

51 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Once read a article from JC and he said Zico was like a guardian angel to him. Anyone who put him up in the air then got it 10 times harder in return from Zico. Well documented back in the day he had that bigot Shuggie Burns pinned up against the dressing room wall. Walter defo in the hard man category for me. 

Iirc, JC missed just one Hearts game in his first spell between 1985-91. Astonishing when you consider the punishment he took.

I loved Walter. Speaks volumes that he was the last man standing from the grim days of the late 70's/early 80's. 

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

Iirc, JC missed just one Hearts game in his first spell between 1985-91. Astonishing when you consider the punishment he took.

I loved Walter. Speaks volumes that he was the last man standing from the grim days of the late 70's/early 80's. 

Two of my idols to be honest. As you say the stick JC took was incredible as the football was very raw back then. Walter was a good honest reliable pro and testimony to that was Alex McDonald making him club captain and then taking him to Airdrie in the same capacity. 

16 hours ago, martoon said:

John Millar:

A tough tackling midfielder 30 years back who had skill and goals in him to back it up.

Walter Kidd:

Hard as nails and, as the story goes, left Hugh Burns in no doubt as to what he could do with his Rangers brand of "values".

Completely agree about John Colquhoun:

He was feckin unbreakable.

One of my heroes - Davie Cooper hated playing us, and Walter ensured he never tried any of that clever stuff if was the marker that day. I saw him once clatter Mr Cooper, who then got up and was limping heavily, only to see Walter copying him by prancing about implying he was a bit of a softie.

I remember him also creating a diversion for the ref so that Robbo could proper smack an opposition player - anyone remember that one? My old brain is struggling to remember the game and it's doing my heid in. Walter took a yellow for it, but it meant Robbo got his justice.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

I was led to believe we had to take Burns as a condition of getting McPherson from Rangers. Only made 24 appearances for us. 

Didn’t want to come apparently good solid player as well 

1 minute ago, Birregrande said:

One of my heroes - Davie Cooper hated playing us, and Walter ensured he never tried any of that clever stuff if was the marker that day. I saw him once clatter Mr Cooper, who then got up and was limping heavily, only to see Walter copying him by prancing about implying he was a bit of a softie.

I remember him also creating a diversion for the ref so that Robbo could proper smack an opposition player - anyone remember that one? My old brain is struggling to remember the game and it's doing my heid in. Walter took a yellow for it, but it meant Robbo got his justice.

Robbo smacked Tommy Burns at Darkheid. 

Brellier, hard man ? Meh but nae ncut ah mean nae ncut  messed wi him just ask Broonie and others 🤣 And in my opinion and the opinion of loads of my mates who have watched Hearts for years should have been the first name on the team sheet every week end of!

18 hours ago, RS86 said:

Neil Berry strolls into this.

Didn't he up-end a Bayern Munich player in the opening minutes of that famous match, making it clear whose house the Germans were in?