The film that made you fall in love with cinema

rudi must stay

rudi must stay

I had just been told by my college that it would be best if I left the course so I did that, it was around that time I saw Drive. Drive is the reason I love watching films. If you're the same what films have inspired you?

Probably 2001 : A Space Odyssey.  Saw it circa late 70s whilst quite young.  I'm sure I saw Star Wars around the same time but it's 2001 I remember.  

Star Wars. Think I was maybe 8. A school night too. Incredible. 

Airplane was another film a few years later. My pal and I went to see it without too much background info, we went in thinking it was a serious movie. People were literally falling off their seats laughing. 

Honestly can’t remember the first film I saw at pics but it was probably the annual Disney film at Xmas time . I recall going to see “ close encounters of the 3rd kind “ with my girlfriend and her brother !! And my cousin took me to see “ Star Wars “ at the cameo . I remember more clearly going to see “ grease “ 4 times and eagerly awaiting “ death on the Nile “ ( so that started my love affair with the cinema ) after that I was a regular at the pics . Remember the excitement of finally getting into an “ AA “ film ! Rudi you probably won’t know about that ( AA films ) 

funny enough in off to pics tonight to see Scorsese film 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

henrysmithsgloves

Jungle book when I was a nipper, Tora Tora Tora was the first film I watched by myself was about eight. Watched TTT in the old hippodrome in bo'ness😬

8 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Superman at the old Odeon as a kid watching this guy flying about the screen it seemed amazing.

The odeon was my local cinema . The fabulous  statues and the beautiful lights Made it even more special . I remember “ herbie “ was parked in the foyer and how excited I was . I was 22 at the time 😂 just joking 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Fitzroy Pointon
48 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Anal Gangbang Sluts 7

Felt they jumped the shark a bit after 5. 1-4 were bona-fide classics. 

1 minute ago, Салатные палочки said:

Felt they jumped the shark a bit after 5. 1-4 were bona-fide classics. 

It’s the law of averages with sequels really 😎

13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The odeon was my local cinema . The fabulous  statues and the beautiful lights Made it even more special . I remember “ herbie “ was parked in the foyer and how excited I was . I was 22 at the time 😂 just joking 

Aye loved the old movie theatres.I mean you can't beat the comfort of the multiplexes now but they feel soulless in comparison to the cinemas of old.

The first AA-classified film I went to once I was old enough, Rollerball. Went with my Dad. From that impressive beginning with Toccata and Fugue through to the continued chanting of "Jonathan!", it lit a spark not only for going to the movies but also for reading science fiction.

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I had just been told by my college that it would be best if I left the course so I did that, it was around that time I saw Drive. Drive is the reason I love watching films. If you're the same what films have inspired you?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to make the college ask you to leave?

3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Anal Gangbang Sluts 7

Watched it a couple of times. Never got past 2 mins of it before turned it off 

rudi must stay
32 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to make the college ask you to leave?

I just wasn't passing the course 

Superman IV was the first film I remember seeing at the cinema - I was crying my eyes out as a wee 4 year old boy cause Superman was getting his arse kicked by Nuclear Man… my da had to pure take me out and console me and everything 🤣!

Despite this traumatic and possible first experience of ever seeing a film in the cinema - I loved going to see a movie on the big screen as a kid growing up, and still do although I don’t go anywhere near as often these days.

The first film I remember thinking was absolutely the best thing that I’d ever saw on a cinema screen was Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade as a 7 year old. What a film.

4 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Anal Gangbang Sluts 7

4 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Grease…. First film I ever saw at the cinema..

Still love it to this day.. 

I somehow feel there's a tight connection between these 2 films.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

The first AA-classified film I went to once I was old enough, Rollerball. Went with my Dad. From that impressive beginning with Toccata and Fugue through to the continued chanting of "Jonathan!", it lit a spark not only for going to the movies but also for reading science fiction.

Mine was “ airport 79” I think 

Jurassic Park was the first film I remember going to at newcraighall. Think it was the ABC then. I was only 4-5 at the time so may be wrong. 

Jurassic Park

Earliest memory of going to the UCI and forcing my parents to take me multiple times to see this and going to see it again for its 20th anniversary. To this day I can still stick it on and be entertained start to finish, I remember it feeling pretty magical when I was a kid and even now there are some scenes (paddock scene) which is shot better than any of the modern versions. 

Remember absolutely buzzing for Jurassic World , checking for news updates whilst waiting for trailers, was unbelievably disappointed, pop culture casting and turning the dinosaurs into the good guys have completely shat on what Michael Crichton created. Still live in hope that someone will come along and do a movie disregarding any of the newer movies or based on Site B and return it to its light horror genre.

Rupert Pupkin
12 hours ago, Mister T said:

I somehow feel there's a tight connection between these 2 films.

How very dare you!! 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Dunkirk in the cinema is an awesome film.  Some films are just made for cinema.

luckyBatistuta

1975, Odeon, Clerk Street with the whole family. Always remember my mum in tears of laughter at one scene.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

queensferryjambo

Star Wars on it's first week of release in 1978.

For someone who was approaching 7 years old it was genuinely an incredible experience at the time.

The Real Maroonblood

One really fond memory is talking my kids to see the UK premier of ET in 1982.

Packed Playhouse and everyone clapping at the end.

Brilliant.

il Duce McTarkin
40 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

One really fond memory is talking my kids to see the UK premier of ET in 1982.

Packed Playhouse and everyone clapping at the end.

Brilliant.

Watched it with my 5 and 3 year olds for the first time last week. They loved it.

Preferred the Goonies the week before, mind.

The big one wakes us up in the morning now with a 'Hey you guuuuuuys'.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Watched it with my 5 and 3 year olds for the first time last week. They loved it.

Preferred the Goonies the week before, mind.

The big one wakes us up in the morning now with a 'Hey you guuuuuuys'.

:laugh2:

I remember taking one of my neices to see “ the wizard of Oz” at the Filmhouse . It was magical seeing this classic were it belongs on  the big screen . 

I’ve saw a few classics on the big screen such as “ all about eve “ and “ whatever happened to baby Jane ?

Im taking a friend to see “ is a wonderful life “ at Xmas at the Scotsman cinema . We have seen it before on the big screen but want to experience it again. Tears will be flowing 😢

Superman The Movie - I still remember queuing along past woolies to see it on the big screen at the ABC Lothian Road.

Then I caught 2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC 2 on my wee portable b& w tv. What was even more amusing was BBC 2 would show films in the correct ratio so there wasn’t a whole lot of the screen to watch on…but it still captivated me. Kubrick’s compositions and the way he edited are just astounding, I am certain he cuts films to the music, rather than the other way round. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not a film specially. Saturday morning show at the Odeon. 

Tremendous Mikey, carnage when they threw the sweets out, but what a laugh. 

Double Deckers

Banana Splits 

Sinbad

rudi must stay
On 09/11/2023 at 10:22, Americana said:

Jurassic Park

Earliest memory of going to the UCI and forcing my parents to take me multiple times to see this and going to see it again for its 20th anniversary. To this day I can still stick it on and be entertained start to finish, I remember it feeling pretty magical when I was a kid and even now there are some scenes (paddock scene) which is shot better than any of the modern versions. 

Remember absolutely buzzing for Jurassic World , checking for news updates whilst waiting for trailers, was unbelievably disappointed, pop culture casting and turning the dinosaurs into the good guys have completely shat on what Michael Crichton created. Still live in hope that someone will come along and do a movie disregarding any of the newer movies or based on Site B and return it to its light horror genre.

Fallen Kingdom is worth watching if you are after the dinosaurs being scary

rudi must stay
13 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Dunkirk in the cinema is an awesome film.  Some films are just made for cinema.

You're absolutely right

Ghostbusters. First film i saw in the cinema, when it first came out. Odeon at Clerk St. Everybody joining in singing the theme. Was so good.

There was no better cinema than the Odeon.