The film that made you fall in love with cinema

rudi must stay

That thing you do
On 08/11/2023 at 18:01, Jim_Duncan said:

Anal Gangbang Sluts 7

Is the honest answer 🤣

But I'll say Star Wars and the original poseidon adventure.

Love a disaster movie. Been a few crackers from Easter Road Pictures over the years 

That thing you do
10 minutes ago, Pap said:

Ghostbusters. First film i saw in the cinema, when it first came out. Odeon at Clerk St. Everybody joining in singing the theme. Was so good.

There was no better cinema than the Odeon.

Cameo in Fountainbridge was a braw cinema. Saw transpotting in there in 90s.

highlandjambo3

On the flip side of the thread title…….cinema films you hate:

”journey to the centre of the earth”  the original one.

My mum worked in the odeon late 70’s……… we, 5 of us (myself, two sisters, two brothers) used to stay at an aunts after school until my mum picked us up.  Aunt was unwell for a week so, we had to jump on a bus out to the odeon where my mum would sneak us through a side door into the cinema………must have watched that 20 times over the week 🤬🤬🤬 🤣

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

My mum worked in the odeon late 70’s……… we, 5 of us (myself, two sisters, two brothers) used to stay at an aunts after school until my mum picked us up.  Aunt was unwell for a week so, we had to jump on a bus out to the odeon where my mum would sneak us through a side door into the cinema………must have watched that 20 times over the week 🤬🤬🤬 🤣

Sounds like watching Hearts over and over again.

Cruelty.

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Nick and Norah's infinite playlist

The Time Travellers Wife

Robin Hood (the one with Keira Knighley)

The Producers

The Love Guru

Bruno

Stealth 

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Cameo in Fountainbridge was a braw cinema. Saw transpotting in there in 90s.

Saying that the Cameo is in Fountainbridge is like saying that The Cafe Royal is in Leith.  :levein2:

1 hour ago, Pap said:

Ghostbusters. First film i saw in the cinema, when it first came out. Odeon at Clerk St. Everybody joining in singing the theme. Was so good.

There was no better cinema than the Odeon.

Staff had draped sheets on the statues in the alcoves to make ghosts. Was an amazing experience. I loved big movies back then with the tie-ins, the big theme song usually a massive hit etc…

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Is the honest answer 🤣

But I'll say Star Wars and the original poseidon adventure.

Love a disaster movie. Been a few crackers from Easter Road Pictures over the years 

Used to love when they came on at Xmas time. Love them all too.  " The Towering Inferno" is probably the daddy of them all. 

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

The Odeon had the legendary Sandra who was an usherette there.  Think late 80s early 90s. She took no shit from people. Was formidable. 

That thing you do
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Saying that the Cameo is in Fountainbridge is like saying that The Cafe Royal is in Leith.  :levein2:

It was literally 2 streets away from my flat that had a fountainbridge address!

13 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

It was literally 2 streets away from my flat that had a fountainbridge address!

Interesting one. Where does Fountainbridge start and where does Foutainpark start?

That thing you do
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Interesting one. Where does Fountainbridge start and where does Foutainpark start?

Fountainbridge is everything the "Lothian Road" side of the old Brewery site. Anything beyond where the brewery begins is Fountain Park.

That thing you do
1 minute ago, That thing you do said:

Fountainbridge is everything the "Lothian Road" side of the old Brewery site. Anything beyond where the brewery begins is Fountain Park.

image.png.b735001b0606c6a3f73124e6e34ea528.png

5 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Tollcross all the way, Morgan.

:thumb:

4 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

:thumb:

8 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Never knew that. I thought it was just around Ponton street area and along Dundee Street a bit

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The Odeon had the legendary Sandra who was an usherette there.  Think late 80s early 90s. She took no shit from people. Was formidable. 

My Auntie May was the cleaner there for about 30 years. Used to get free passes. Mind the mobile sweets trolley that would come during the interval.

The main screen areas seemed absolutely massive as well. All those wee stars on the ceiling as well 😭

On 09/11/2023 at 08:10, Harry Potter said:

Went to see Where eagles dare with my dad, the old astoria in corstorphine, late 60s. 1968, just

checked.

What a movie must have seen it about 50 times.Everytime i see it on TV I have to watch it still.

Forgetting all the arty farty stuff, the original predator, and the original Jurassic Park.

I'll even through in Home Alone. 

Epic. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Forgetting all the arty farty stuff, the original predator, and the original Jurassic Park.

Epic. 

Throw.  👍

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm not sure that'll make a difference, but i'll throw that in too. 

😀

Good evening, young man!

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

How's it going old yin?

Magic, thanks.

Sold our house over here :sad: 

Moving on.  👍

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Magic, thanks.

Sold our house over here :sad: 

Moving on.  👍

Why the sad face? 

Did you not want to sell it? 

42 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Epic. 

One would have thought an alien hunter would appreciate Kubrick's 2001 given the underlying subject matter.

Too cerebral, I guess. 🤔

Heart of Darkness

Not a fall in love with cinema moment but I will always remember  when Bambi's mum got killed when watching the film in the Odeon around 75/76. Can still see it now, dark, big screen, and being absolutely terrified. 😬

4 hours ago, Pap said:

My Auntie May was the cleaner there for about 30 years. Used to get free passes. Mind the mobile sweets trolley that would come during the interval.

The main screen areas seemed absolutely massive as well. All those wee stars on the ceiling as well 😭

Think i mentioned the wee stars earlier on the thread. Always felt magical looking up at them . 

15 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Why the sad face? 

Did you not want to sell it? 

Bittersweet, Greedy.

Didn't really want to leave yet, but due to certain ‘circumstances’ it’s going to be for the best.

Looking forward to the next chapter though.  

On 10/11/2023 at 15:27, rudi must stay said:

Fallen Kingdom is worth watching if you are after the dinosaurs being scary

Wash your mouth out Rudi, its awful.

They actually go in order from best to worst in their release order.

JP

Lost World

JP3

JW

JW Fallen Kingdom

JW Dominion

JW on a whole was a massive let down, terrible cast and plots. JP manages to look more realistic then the current days CGI. Was pumped for Jurassic World but it was brutal , I dont think Chris Pratt can play any character other than star lord in any movie hes in.

I saw Star Wars, Superman, and the first Star Trek films when they were released.

I can't help think my old man wanted to watch these so he took us along to pretend it was our treat!

I didn't enjoy that Star Trek film despite liking the William Shatner TV series.

Star Wars was the first time I saw jaw dropping special effects combined with a strong plot.  That definitely opened up the imagination of a young kid.

Incidentally just watched Marvels in the cinema.  Had a day off after seeing The Cult last night and with it pissing down outside I felt it was worth doing.   Its not as bad as being written up.  I preferred the first film but this was pretty watchable.