Housing

Ked

1 hour ago, Negan said:

I get what you mean but surely you cant choose priority based on vulnerability. So because Im a military man Im supposed to suck it up and get on with it. What if I had PTSD etc etc (this isnt a dig at you btw just saying 😂) Someone like the woman in question hasn't contributed hee haw to society her entire life. Leeched of the taxpayer. Strange how they always have money for fags vapes and drink though eh 

That's why I said all other things being equal - if you were vulnerable due to PTSD that would be taken into the equation too.

The problem isn't someone else getting a house though, it's that there aren't enough houses.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Ked

• Spellczech

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

And there is the greatest cause of the housing crisis 

And the “ working class “ traitors supporting that thing ? 

il Duce McTarkin
16 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

The problem isn't someone else getting a house though, it's that there aren't enough houses.

Spot on.

To add, house prices could be around half of what they currently are and it would still probably be too much.

57 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Many moving parts to this so no quick fix.  Needs structural root and branch change and cross party consensus on a long term strategy regardless of who is in power.  It should be fundamental to our society.

Buy to let scenario needs looked at.  Too many people able to use banks money to acquire multiple properties and make a living out of "managing" them.  Rent payment history needs to be factored in to mortgage eligibility, scandalous so many people can't buy for affordability reasons but pay double every month in rent that they would for a mortgage.  A state owned house builder should be established, not big contracts handed out to private companies. Existing stock needs refurbished and compulsory purchase orders put in place for empty properties and brownfield sites.  At the very least they should be subject to more tax rather than get relief to get the owners to use them.

There's a lot that can be done if there was an appetite and the Government did the job they are supposed to rather than look after personal interests, and ultimately be held captive by money.  

When I lived in Germany you often found a whole block owned by some old lady who lived in one of the apartments and managed the others. They were however, more interested in "good tenants" than raking in the maximum achievable rent. 

Alternatively you got whole blocks owned by Insurance Companies or Banks who then didn't really care about maximising the rent as they were owned for their low-risk investment "bricks and mortar" Balance Sheet purpose so the owners would not be over-exposed...

We've somehow avoided and thus missed out on both these scenarios...

Why not require banks and insurers to build the property, hold it and rent it? Why do we let them pay all their spare cash as bonuses and the rest as dividends and then we (taxpayer) have to bail them out every 20 years or so as their reserves don't exist and their safe property investments turn out to be books of mortgage debt rather than soil and bricks?

There is a reason I hate Politicians. It is the same reason I hate lawyers. It is because they enable Bankers..and I hate bankers.

Edited by Spellczech

Byyy The Light
13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

When I lived in Germany you often found a whole block owned by some old lady who lived in one of the apartments and managed the others. They were however, more interested in "good tenants" than raking in the maximum achievable rent. 

Alternatively you got whole blocks owned by Insurance Companies or Banks who then didn't really care about maximising the rent as they were owned for their low-risk investment "bricks and mortar" Balance Sheet purpose so the owners would not be over-exposed...

Why not require banks and insurers to build the property, hold it and rent it? Why do we let them pay all their spare cash as bonuses and the rest as dividends and then we (taxpayer) have to bail them out every 20 years or so as their reserves don't exist and their safe property investments turn out to be books of mortgage debt rather than soil and bricks?

There is a reason I hate Politicians. It is the same reason I hate lawyers. It is because they enable Bankers..and I hate bankers.

Anything that helps property to be viewed as homes first and foremost and not investment assets should be looked at. 

13 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Anything that helps property to be viewed as homes first and foremost and not investment assets should be looked at. 

I agree to the greater extent but until we have a look at the disparity in income tax and inheritance tax between the mega rich and the rest of society then it is currently the only way you can keep some of your hard earned money to pass on to your kids and give them a helping hand at the start of their adult lives

And yes for the benefit of some people above I am from a council estate and now own a house 

The UK's a joke when it comes to housing. We live pretty far North in Scotland and it's absolutely baltic in the winter.Yet the majority of our housing stock is pretty garbage. Some people are falling into fuel poverty because houses are insufficiently insulated. It's not right. 

15 hours ago, frankblack said:

Doesn't matter how many new builds you have when the majority are being snapped up for buy to let and air bnb.

Until something is done by governments to disincentivise this the shortage of supply will remain.

Have you missed the uproar on the bbc because the SG are getting landlords to licence their rental properties or put them back to the market

6 hours ago, TallPaul said:

Still not in his remit. Misappropriation of public funds. Lock the little anti-Semitic racist up and throw away the key.

You seriously need help

4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It makes me feel a bit better that there are others in the same boat. It's shit but it is what it is. I have three kids all older and living independently but I have an 8 year old daughter that lives with me most of the time.

My worry about renting is the uncertainty of the landlord deciding to sell up and then me having to shift. The flat I have is perfect as it is 5 mins from my daughters school. 

These are the pros, pal. Your daughter's life is significantly better because her Dad's flat is 5 minutes from her school. That's the main reason I'm in the rental situation I'm in. It's a worry being vulnerable to the potential actions of others  but it's our worry, not the bairns'., 👍

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

One thing that got me is,why in hell when the Germans move house,they take the complete kitchen? Happened to me and couple of work mates,when we were over there in the late 1980s🤣

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Have you missed the uproar on the bbc because the SG are getting landlords to licence their rental properties or put them back to the market

Is that actually happening or did the SG lose a court case on it?  Maybe that was just Edinburgh Council, though.

2 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

One thing that got me is,why in hell when the Germans move house,they take the complete kitchen? Happened to me and couple of work mates,when we were over there in the late 1980s🤣

The Dutch are mental like that, they take everything down to the lightbulbs

3 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I think, because so many rent, that when they put a kitchen in, it is their kitchen and thus they take it with them. Same as you will seldom find a furnished flat there. You rent an empty space. 

When I moved there I lived in Ikea World...

Edited by Spellczech

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Sweep up and pack the spiders and webs too😄

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I think, because so many rent, that when they put a kitchen in, it is their kitchen and thus they take it with them. Same as you will seldom find a furnished flat there. You rent an empty space. 

An aye opener,even took the sink😆 totally different culture 

33 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Sweep up and pack the spiders and webs too😄

An aye opener,even took the sink😆 totally different culture 

In fact, when I bought a place over there I had to buy light fittings, never mind bulbs! Renting wasn't so bad, bulbs only.

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Is that actually happening or did the SG lose a court case on it?  Maybe that was just Edinburgh Council, though.

Hosts of short-term lets in Scotland now need to have a licence to operate, or face a fine. Since 1 October 2023, short-term let hosts operating in Scotland need to have at least applied for a licence, or face fines of up to £2,500.

3 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

When i bought my first house, in Newcastle, they had taken every light bulb with them 

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I worked in West Germany from 87 til 89. Stayed in a hotel initially but moved into a flat (shared). I bought over the leaving guys "caution" and when I was leaving I sold on my "caution" to another bloke.

21 hours ago, Negan said:

I get what you mean but surely you cant choose priority based on vulnerability. So because Im a military man Im supposed to suck it up and get on with it. What if I had PTSD etc etc (this isnt a dig at you btw just saying 😂) Someone like the woman in question hasn't contributed hee haw to society her entire life. Leeched of the taxpayer. Strange how they always have money for fags vapes and drink though eh 

Youll no get much sympathy from him mate. He is one of those SNP fans who think the idle and the workshy deserve everything like houses and people like you who have worked since leaving school . paid your taxes etc should be at the bottom of the queue over a person who displays no responsibly and probably hasnt worked since leaving school. Hes part of the " free " money brigade.  

henrysmithsgloves
12 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

I worked in West Germany from 87 til 89. Stayed in a hotel initially but moved into a flat (shared). I bought over the leaving guys "caution" and when I was leaving I sold on my "caution" to another bloke.

I'm was lucky enough the company paid for everything. There was a charge,it wasn't a caution though. But as I said, I was lucky enough at the time with the contract, compared to others.

17 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Youll no get much sympathy from him mate. He is one of those SNP fans who think the idle and the workshy deserve everything like houses and people like you who have worked since leaving school . paid your taxes etc should be at the bottom of the queue over a person who displays no responsibly and probably hasnt worked since leaving school. Hes part of the " free " money brigade.  

I have some sympathy with what you are saying. @Negan is rightly fed up.

But housing isn't just that side of things.Its the whole picture Judy but you seem intent on focusing on the feckless.

There's already an underclass and if we don't address this as a whole then look to what's happening across the US.

As you can read on here the uncertainty of tenancy amongst working people in Edinburgh causes things that affect education.

Its also the top 2 causes of poverty amongst working people.

I'm not particularly fond of people that are idle.

But I don't know how they got there.

And it's really not their fault the housing situation.

18 minutes ago, Ked said:

I have some sympathy with what you are saying. @Negan is rightly fed up.

But housing isn't just that side of things.Its the whole picture Judy but you seem intent on focusing on the feckless.

There's already an underclass and if we don't address this as a whole then look to what's happening across the US.

As you can read on here the uncertainty of tenancy amongst working people in Edinburgh causes things that affect education.

Its also the top 2 causes of poverty amongst working people.

I'm not particularly fond of people that are idle.

But I don't know how they got there.

And it's really not their fault the housing situation.

I’m talking about the allocation system which needs looked at .who is classed as more “ needy “? Yes I’m well

Aware that the housing crisis is cause there is no housing stock . 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m talking about the allocation system which needs looked at .who is classed as more “ needy “? Yes I’m well

What do you know about the young girl whose 21 and never worked a day in their life?

She didn't get the house because she doesn't work.

That would make me think that she deserved for reasons I can never know.

But aye there are people that play the system.

1 minute ago, Ked said:

What do you know about the young girl whose 21 and never worked a day in their life?

She didn't get the house because she doesn't work.

That would make me think that she deserved for reasons I can never know.

But aye there are people that play the system.

I’m saying the allocation system needs looked at . That’s all . It can be deemed very unfair to some people , like Negan for example . The points system needs reviewed . 

6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It's a mess Judy and all political parties have not dealt with it.

It's got and getting steadily worse.

Just now, Ked said:

It's a mess Judy and all political parties have not dealt with it.

It's got and getting steadily worse.

Yes there needs to be targeted budgets for housing . It needs to be viewed as the priority for any local governments . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m saying the allocation system needs looked at . That’s all . It can be deemed very unfair to some people , like Negan for example . The points system needs reviewed . 

Houses need built.

When we have people and @negan I'm not criticising hiw you feel.

It's a disgrace after serving the country that the country can't at least house you.

But when we are looking over our shoulder because people fleeing war are housed.

Then it's down to housing stock and policy.

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes there needs to be targeted budgets for housing . It needs to be viewed as the priority for any local governments . 

It's how you deliver it though.

And what polotician do you see with any vision or well put together policy .

It's getting worse Judy .

We are throwing money at it in the worst possible way.

3 minutes ago, Ked said:

It's how you deliver it though.

And what polotician do you see with any vision or well put together policy .

It's getting worse Judy .

We are throwing money at it in the worst possible way.

Yes building houses almost made of cardboard really . Why oh why did they know down loads of hood housing stock and replace them with cardboard smaller units . False economy really 

17 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes building houses almost made of cardboard really . Why oh why did they know down loads of hood housing stock and replace them with cardboard smaller units . False economy really 

Maximising profit