Housing

Ked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-67289581.amp

Sorry I know I've harped on about this before.

It's not only Edinburgh ,Glasgow will have ti find housing as well that's to do with asylum seekers who have been granted asylum.

I'm not going to repeat myself about the state of housing .Most people will know of or have direct involvement with people who struggle with high rent or insecure housing and even homelessness.

It's another mess.

That needs serious policy as I think nationally it's a crisis.

What's your thoughts on solutions?

Because its definitely a crisis.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Ked

• Spellczech

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, Ked said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-67289581.amp

Sorry I know I've harped on about this before.

It's not only Edinburgh ,Glasgow will have ti find housing as well that's to do with asylum seekers who have been granted asylum.

I'm not going to repeat myself about the state of housing .Most people will know of or have direct involvement with people who struggle with high rent or insecure housing and even homelessness.

It's another mess.

That needs serious policy as I think nationally it's a crisis.

What's your thoughts on solutions?

Because its definitely a crisis.

Build more housing, reduce the green belt and stop sending money overseas to causes that are not Scottish related. Stop wasting money on ferries, hold Scottish government to account for the money wasted on vanity independence projects (overseas embassies as a start) by getting rid of them and their green friends and replacing them with a government who will work for all Scotland and not the feckless minority who want to live off workers and their taxes.

Seen two major nearly complete housing developments (buildings) in Edinburgh over the past week, both for students, Montrose Terrace (Abbeyhill) and Iona Street. The Strathmore had two wee fake evergreen trees either side of the door, ffs!!

Konrad von Carstein
19 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Build more housing, reduce the green belt and stop sending money overseas to causes that are not Scottish related. Stop wasting money on ferries, hold Scottish government to account for the money wasted on vanity independence projects (overseas embassies as a start) by getting rid of them and their green friends and replacing them with a government who will work for all Scotland and not the feckless minority who want to live off workers and their taxes.

Protect the garden belt at all costs, build on brown field sites and stop mass creation of student accommodation...it's utterly ridiculous to prioritise this kind of development over affordable housing l.

50 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry mate I was looking more for policy ideas rather than rinsing the poor or turning into the usual stuff on here.

Society is at fault here.

I don't do anyone down about being wide enough to have done alright out of the property market.

But it's at the expense now of young families and working ones of low to high middle now.

So apart from singling out monies wasted which is criminal but endemic in Western democracy and not at least make the paltry donation to people who toil for 1 Square meal.

If you want to look at examples if not dealing with this problem of secure housing even fir the folk you despise.

Then look at what's happening in some American cities.

You enjoy life better if everyone's looked after.

And housing is a priority.

It needs addressed no?

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Plenty good stuff in here.

Additionally, stop building student accommodation at the expense of affordable housing.

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Protect the garden belt at all costs, build on brown field sites and stop mass creation of student accommodation...it's utterly ridiculous to prioritise this kind of development over affordable housing l.

Green...ffs

The thought behind the explosion in student housing is that it then frees up other properties for "normal" tenants. 

It's far cheaper to throw up a block of tiny shared student flats than to build new flats of a decent size.

The housing crisis is just another effect of the total lack of infrastructure spending in the entire UK over the last 50 years.

In the 50s/60s/70s, new developments were springing up all over the place to give the baby boomers somewhere to live when they grew up and flew the nest.

Then it all stopped in the late 70s.

Then all the social housing was sold off on the cheap in the 80s without being replaced.

Then over the 90s/00s basically nothing was built by local authorities and the private housing constructions flatlined.

Then when the crash in 2008/9 happened, it got even worse and has never recovered.

The UK needs to be spending multi-billions on a nation-wide house building initiative, as well as bringing the existing stock up to standard. 
Much of the existing housing is in a terrible state.

There are also over 670,000 empty houses in England alone, so they need to be put under compulsory purchase orders and put back into the rental market (either private or council).

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03012/
Too many properties are being used as "land banks", with owners happy to have them laying empty and rotting because the house price keeps rising whether or not anyone is living there.

They'd rather just rely on selling the property on in a few years than have to pay to bring it up to minimum rental standards.

The housing crisis is feck all to do with immigration and everything to do with lazy, feckless governments stretching back to the late 1970s.

building.jpg

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

The thought behind the explosion in student housing is that it then frees up other properties for "normal" tenants. 

It's far cheaper to throw up a block of tiny shared student flats than to build new flats of a decent size.

The housing crisis is just another effect of the total lack of infrastructure spending in the entire UK over the last 50 years.

In the 50s/60s/70s, new developments were springing up all over the place to give the baby boomers somewhere to live when they grew up and flew the nest.

Then it all stopped in the late 70s.

Then all the social housing was sold off on the cheap in the 80s without being replaced.

Then over the 90s/00s basically nothing was built by local authorities and the private housing constructions flatlined.

Then when the crash in 2008/9 happened, it got even worse and has never recovered.

The UK needs to be spending multi-billions on a nation-wide house building initiative, as well as bringing the existing stock up to standard. 
Much of the existing housing is in a terrible state.

There are also over 670,000 empty houses in England alone, so they need to be put under compulsory purchase orders and put back into the rental market (either private or council).

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03012/
Too many properties are being used as "land banks", with owners happy to have them laying empty and rotting because the house price keeps rising whether or not anyone is living there.

They'd rather just rely on selling the property on in a few years than have to pay to bring it up to minimum rental standards.

The housing crisis is feck all to do with immigration and everything to do with lazy, feckless governments stretching back to the late 1970s.

building.jpg

I doubt the Conservatives reckon there is an housing crisis TBH. Basic economics says that limited supply means increasing values and the Tories, the party of owning your own home, need that.

Dunno what Labour's excuse is, though they are happily shouting that they are "ready to govern"...

Plus is it not the case that a few housebuilders hold huge swathes of land as land-banks around Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Edited by Spellczech

1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

Plenty good stuff in here.

Additionally, stop building student accommodation at the expense of affordable housing.

The housing benefit bill fir rents is astronomical. It would be cheaper to build social housing instead , 

Howdy Doody Jambo

The Student population in Edinburgh has rocketed in the last 15 years many using the private rental market 

Student housing is corrupt it stinks these new accomodation blocks have saturated Edinburgh leaving little room for council social housing as the government bends over backwards for foreign students with added benefits yet shit on it's own citizens from a great height that are forced to pay extortionate rental costs or live on the streets 

This country is in the bin, doesn't matter who's in charge they are all effin useless, vote whoever you like same shit they are more interested in creating pish initiative's and wasting tax payers money on street junk projects

Like the cycle lane that started 2 year's ago at Roseburn and hasn't even reached Haymarket yet 😂 useless government with useless in charge

Edinburgh used to be a good place to live turning into an expensive shit hole 

Tax tax tax for less the Scottish Government way

Edited by Howdy Doody Jambo

It's an immense problem everywhere.  In addition to the actual housing you need things like roads,  public transport,  waste water services,  school capacity,  healthcare capacity,  shops,  etc.  Either in actuality or there is the perception that the housing will not be met by adequate consequential requirements,  thus putting pressure on existing infrastructure,  thus creating opposition.

Society desperately needs house building but society never seems to be able to cope with house building and society can never agree to where house building can be and can't be.  

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The housing benefit bill fir rents is astronomical. It would be cheaper to build social housing instead , 

Again, suits the Tories just fine...Public money going to landlords who tend to vote Conservative. Next election is going to be a difficult decision like last one...I've virtually given up on all politicians. 

Just now, Victorian said:

It's an immense problem everywhere.  In addition to the actual housing you need things like roads,  public transport,  waste water services,  school capacity,  healthcare capacity,  shops,  etc.  Either in actuality or there is the perception that the housing will not be met by adequate consequential requirements,  thus putting pressure on existing infrastructure,  thus creating opposition.

Society desperately needs house building but society never seems to be able to cope with house building and society can never agree to where house building can be and can't be.  

And then we had Brexit which makes it harder for pensioners to retire overseas...

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Naw this arse hole has other priorities it seems .

IMG_6205.jpeg

He's aff his head is he not? Has anyone seen the waiting times recently 

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think it’s more Council houses that are needed.

When I say “ social housing “ I mean council or housing associating houses . Not those “ mixed “ tenure where it can dependent  on income . 

3 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

He's aff his head is he not? Has anyone seen the waiting times recently 

Yes . He’s a complete and utter chancer. 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

When I say “ social housing “ I mean council or housing associating houses . Not those “ mixed “ tenure where it can dependent  on income . 

Yes, you probably did mean that, James.

However, I wasn’t replying, in any way, directly to your post.

It was purely my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Again, suits the Tories just fine...Public money going to landlords who tend to vote Conservative. Next election is going to be a difficult decision like last one...I've virtually given up on all politicians. 

It’s everyone’s council tax which funds housing benefit so it Makes economic and moral sense to build more social housing . Tories , Labour the lot all make money from the racket , the only losers are the poor people in temp , insecure tenures . 

Just now, Morgan said:

Yes, you probably did mean that, James.

However, I wasn’t replying, in any way, directly to your post.

It was purely my opinion.

I just think sone people forget the valuable role of housing associations too which provide cheaper , affordable rents 

9 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

And then we had Brexit which makes it harder for pensioners to retire overseas...

Haha.  There's related contributory things like domiciliary care of the elderly.  More elderly people per se (despite the best efforts of Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock).  More people living alone.  

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

I just think sone people forget the valuable role of housing associations too which provide cheaper , affordable rents 

And, of course, you are correct with that.

I think I’ll leave this thread tout suite.  👍

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

And, of course, you are correct with that.

I think I’ll leave this thread tout suite.  👍

Sorry Morgan it’s an issue which I feel very strong about as it can be easily mended , in some respects but there doesn’t seem to be the will to do much about it . No one should be without a roof over their head . 

I think part of the UK plan is additional new towns.  It's quite some time since Scotland attempted to create them.  But some of the same additional requirement problems inevitably exist,  especially things like schools,  healthcare and the like.  

One theory is that new towns automatically attract people into these employment areas.  I highly doubt our current labour market would be able to live up to that.

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Sorry Morgan it’s an issue which I feel very strong about as it can be easily mended , in some respects but there doesn’t seem to be the will to do much about it . No one should be without a roof over their head . 

Yes, everyone should have a roof over their head.  That is needless of debate. 

If I started on this properly though, if I could be bothered, I’d be here all night.

Thankfully, I can’t.

magic roundabout

I recently moved back to Edinburgh and finding a one bedroom flat in the city centre was a nightmare. In fact even getting a viewing was almost impossible. It even got to the point I considered offering more than the rental price. Eventually, got somewhere so all worked out well in the end. However, one beds aren't much off a grand a month. It's definitely a crisis and really feel for anybody looking at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

What in the World makes you say it is easily mended?

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

As an aside though, James, how is it easily mended?

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

What in the World makes you say it is easily mended?

Moving funds and budgets about . 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Moving funds and budgets about . 

:vrface:

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Reallocate the grift back to more traditional places you mean?

:spoton: 

3 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

What about injured scots? They struggle with them

Exactly . He’s all wind and air . It’s typical SNP rhetoric , promise sugar , get shite 

24 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I disagree it's easily mended. Most councils just can't afford to build housing. I know of one in London that's trying to provide an extra 1,000 homes and it isn't an easy task. 249 of that target has been bought direct from a developer at a cost of £70m. The affordability measures in building the rest are pretty crazy.

Furthermore, homelessness isn't fixed by just giving someone a house. Many homeless people don't want a roof over their head (I'm not saying this is true of most or all). I know an old guy who has a flat on the social but lives like he's homeless. He spends all day and most of the night outside, never closes his windows, doesn't even have curtains. 

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Exactly . He’s all wind and air . It’s typical SNP rhetoric , promise sugar , get shite 

I see he sent them £250k in foreign aid today. Pretty sure that doesn't come under the remit of the Scottish parliament. Little rat needs locked up.

7 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

I see he sent them £250k in foreign aid today. Pretty sure that doesn't come under the remit of the Scottish parliament. Little rat needs locked up.

He’s going full renegade with this issue . He’s needs harnesses back by WM yet again. 

There's an snp bashing thread

There's a tory bashing thread

Let's not on here if you don't mind.

Housing is a top 2 priority.

For more than just the basic roof .

The affordability for many families with kids who have insecure tenancy.

It's nit just junkies and feckless affected.It's folk that earn decent dough as well.

Housing costs are the single biggest push toward poverty for median workers.

The Housing crisis is no ones fault and everyone's.

Just now, Ked said:

There's an snp bashing thread

There's a tory bashing thread

Let's not on here if you don't mind.

Good luck with that one.  They can't feckin' help themselves.

Just now, Ked said:

Housing is a top 2 priority.

For more than just the basic roof .

The affordability for many families with kids who have insecure tenancy.

It's nit just junkies and feckless affected.It's folk that earn decent dough as well.

Housing costs are the single biggest push toward poverty for median workers.

The Housing crisis is no ones fault and everyone's.

Is there anywhere in the developed world that is getting housing right?  If so, why can't we copy them?  If not, why not?

Diadora Van Basten

I think putting social tenants in the private sector doesn’t work.

it is a shame that social housing has now come under such political pressure that common sense has gone out the window. e.g. a councillor I know would hold back bungalows for old or disabled people but due to homelessness legislation they had to go to able bodied people.

We are now currently trying to implement rent control and just like Ireland we have created a supply side issue.

With the number of rental properties shrinking, people less likely to give up their current leases.

Also the build to rent sector and mid market sector that could be a good option for renters are no longer viable due to rent control.

Finally Shelter are far too powerful an organisation and have provided nothing positive to the housing debate except sniping from the sidelines and spending a huge amount of wages from people who think they are helping homeless people on Champagne Socialists,