• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dazo

• been here before

• rossaldinho

• jack D and coke

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Correct. It's not deliberate.

It looks very bad but he lost his centre of gravity and raised his leg. It happens in a flash.

The player concerned is utterly distraught about what's happened. Been on the UK Hockey Forum and not one person thinks it's deliberate.

And yes it is possible for a skate to come up high in certain circumstances.

I went to a few Capitals games years ago and quite enjoyed it. But I don’t know enough about the sport to gauge how culpable the player is. My gut feeling is he was trying to stop him progressing, some sort of profession foul like in football when a player trips another to break down an attack. 

This will haunt the player for the rest of his days, and I’d question if he’ll ever even want to play again. Don’t think for a second it was deliberate but the clips aren’t great viewing. 

Really sad for all involved :( 

jack D and coke

I’m not having it. Lost his centre of gravity yeah but why has his blade ended up pointing upwards?

It gets worse each time I watch it too. 
How anyone can think he’s not deliberately tried to at least seriously hurt the guy I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m not having it. Lost his centre of gravity yeah but why has his blade ended up pointing upwards?

It gets worse each time I watch it too. 
How anyone can think he’s not deliberately tried to at least seriously hurt the guy I don’t know. 

Agree, definitely was an abnormal body movement intended to inflict some pain. Obviously it's ended up horrifically tragic and he must live with the guilt forever now

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Agree, definitely was an abnormal body movement intended to inflict some pain. Obviously it's ended up horrifically tragic and he must live with the guilt forever now

I feel nothing for that boy. 
He’s a piece of filth that tried at the very least to seriously injure someone and deserves charged. If it was anyone from my family I’d be after him big time. 

That was a hard watch, definitely looks like he’s went in to hit him - not necessarily the neck but it looks like he’s tried to leave a bit on him. 

Be interesting to see if they’ve had a niggle earlier in the game or anything. 

43 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I feel nothing for that boy. 
He’s a piece of filth that tried at the very least to seriously injure someone and deserves charged. If it was anyone from my family I’d be after him big time. 

I won't be watching it, but the hockey world doesn't seem to see it as anything other than a freak accident, and they have way more experience with what's normal in that world. I have a couple of friends into it, they're not the types to be shy if they thought it was shenanigans, and they're just gutted, not angry at all.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I won't be watching it, but the hockey world doesn't seem to see it as anything other than a freak accident, and they have way more experience with what's normal in that world. I have a couple of friends into it, they're not the types to be shy if they thought it was shenanigans, and they're just gutted, not angry at all.

It’s a tough watch but watch it and tell me he hasn’t tried to maim the guy at the very least. 
It’s the least natural leg up you’ll ever see. I haven’t played ice hockey but played all sorts of sports and nothing has caused me to lose my balance and end up with my foot pointing upwards into someone’s neck. 

Find it hard to believe it wasn't intentional. Sure he's trying to balance himself, but that worked in his favour when he wanted to leave a mark on his opponent. He's certainly done more than that.

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s a tough watch but watch it and tell me he hasn’t tried to maim the guy at the very least. 
It’s the least natural leg up you’ll ever see. I haven’t played ice hockey but played all sorts of sports and nothing has caused me to lose my balance and end up with my foot pointing upwards into someone’s neck. 

No way I'm watching it, I'll need to take your word. 

Салатные палочки

I'm really struggling to see what ice hockey fans are seeing that us non-fans aren't. 

Edited by Салатные палочки
Typo

19 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Do it on ice, moving at speed, take a slight knock, and see what your leg does.

Been watching ice hockey for most of my life (and played when I was younger) and that is 100% a freak accident. Seen it plenty of times in games when players have ended up with a skate high in the air and luckily not caught anyone. 

jack D and coke
Just now, rossaldinho said:

Been watching ice hockey for most of my life (and played when I was younger) and that is 100% a freak accident. Seen it plenty of times in games when players have ended up with a skate high in the air and luckily not caught anyone. 

I’ve watched it over and over. I’ll watch it more but I’m struggling to see how his foot ended up in that position🙈

jack D and coke

Just watched it again and again.
His leg is on the way up before any contact for me. 

I can’t get that out my head there’s not some intent in that. 

17 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Just watched it again and again.
His leg is on the way up before any contact for me. 

I can’t get that out my head there’s not some intent in that. 

Keep in mind all his momentum and balance is literally on a knife edge, on ice. **** knows what the forces are doing and making him react to, but they seem to understand it better than me.

28 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

This is exactly what I'm seeing from hockey fans

I P Knightley
On 29/10/2023 at 13:17, Tazio said:

I saw this happen in a NHL match years ago when I was in Canada, thankfully live on the telly and not in person. Luckily the goalie Clint Malarchuk survived and more goalies started wearing neck protectors, not sure how outfield players could wear them though. 

As an absolute minimum...

ah3855-coif-2_3.jpg

The incident has received a fair amount of coverage in the hockey world over here.  It's unprovable that it was a deliberate act, and no-one wants to accuse anyone of that.

All the discussion has been about the need for protection of players' necks.

2 hours ago, rossaldinho said:

So it happens plenty of times in games x the thousands of games being played every year, how many times has someone died with a slit throat 

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The incident has received a fair amount of coverage in the hockey world over here.  It's unprovable that it was a deliberate act, and no-one wants to accuse anyone of that.

All the discussion has been about the need for protection of players' necks.

A quick glance at the replies in that Twitter thread posted earlier would suggest otherwise. It's like all the episodes of Taggart rolled into one thread. 

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

So it happens plenty of times in games x the thousands of games being played every year, how many times has someone died with a slit throat 

Almost never, thankfully. I don't really see what your point is. 

What I said was I've seen it happen plenty of times in games - not plenty of times in A game. It's an incredibly small number of times and is normally situational like a player getting hit along the boards losing momentum, tripped, flipped with a hip check, taken down during a fight. I could go on and on.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

What I said was I've seen it happen plenty of times in games - not plenty of times in A game. It's an incredibly small number of times and is normally situational like a player getting hit along the boards losing momentum, tripped, flipped with a hip check, taken down during a fight. I could go on and on.

Not being smart in any way here I’m asking genuinely…you’ve watched the incident a few times yeah and you think there’s no intention at all? 
Im traumatised by it like.

3 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

I get limbs can fly about as you try to gain some balance that isn’t in doubt. For me there is an extra flick that is intentional. I’m pretty certain he had no intention of catching him where he did or the outcome but he tries to catch him.  Just like most sports players sometimes go into challenges to do someone and don’t always think the outcome through. 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not being smart in any way here I’m asking genuinely…you’ve watched the incident a few times yeah and you think there’s no intention at all? 
Im traumatised by it like.

Absolutely no intention at all, in my opinion

Petgrave (Sheffield guy in orange) is lining up to hit Johnson. The other Panthers guy who cuts between the two of the clips Petgrave's upper body causing his leg to come up. The momentum of Petgrave going towards Johnson then being caught from a sideways contact meant he ended up going straight into Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I get limbs can fly about as you try to gain some balance that isn’t in doubt. For me there is an extra flick that is intentional. I’m pretty certain he had no intention of catching him where he did or the outcome but he tries to catch him.  Just like most sports players sometimes go into challenges to do someone and don’t always think the outcome through. 

I've watched thousands of games of hockey and seen some proper arsehole hockey players but never one that would even attempt to do something like that. Petgrave isn't a dirty player in the times I've seen him up here in Fife. 

jack D and coke

Petgrave (Sheffield guy in orange) is lining up to hit Johnson. The other Panthers guy who cuts between the two of the clips Petgrave's upper body causing his leg to come up. The momentum of Petgrave going towards Johnson then being caught from a sideways contact meant he ended up going straight into Johnson.

Fair enough👍🏼

I've watched thousands of games of hockey and seen some proper arsehole hockey players but never one that would even attempt to do something like that. Petgrave isn't a dirty player in the times I've seen him up here in Fife. 

I’ll take your word for that regarding the type of player but was reading the opposite on twitter(I know). I just don’t see the need for the extra movement but I’m certainly no ice hockey player or spectator. 👍

Edited by Dazo

11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’ll take your word for that regarding the type of player but was reading the opposite on twitter(I know). I just don’t see the need for the extra movement but I’m certainly no ice hockey player or spectator. 👍

I suppose we should compare other ice slipping/balancing videos:

manfallsonicegif1.gif

54 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

I've watched thousands of hockey games too.  What a person concludes from that short clip is obviously a matter of opinion.

What I see is that Petgrave is in the middle of checking one attacking player, when Johnson starts to cut behind him.  Petgrave tries to throw a hip-check to stop Johnson and it all goes horribly wrong.  The fact that his skate was at head level was not due to the actions of any other player.

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've watched thousands of hockey games too.  What a person concludes from that short clip is obviously a matter of opinion.

What I see is that Petgrave is in the middle of checking one attacking player, when Johnson starts to cut behind him.  Petgrave tries to throw a hip-check to stop Johnson and it all goes horribly wrong.  The fact that his skate was at head level was not due to the actions of any other player.

It certainly looks to me like there is some contact between Petgrave and the other Panthers boy prior to the incident. I can't see a scenario, nor ever remember seeing a scenario, where a player has made that big of an error that's caused something like this, or even something remotely similar - it has to be due to prior contact. 

It's a debate that I think will go on and on, and can only really be settled by seeing it from another angle, which I'd imagine no one wants to see. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ex NHL player Sean Averys thoughts. 

Sean Avery is a bellend. Always has been and always will be.

Wouldn't listen to a word he says. 

been here before

So with the odd exception all the folk who know about, play or watch ice hockey  for in some cases a lifetime, all seem to think it was an accident.

Then there's folk on the internet who by their own admission know nothing about the sport and have never been near an ice rink who insist its deliberate.

Who to take seriously...

Edited by been here before

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

So with the odd exception all the folk who know about, play or watch ice hockey  for in some cases a lifetime, all seem to think it was an accident.

Then there's folk on the internet who by their own admission know nothing about the sport and have never been near an ice rink who insist its deliberate.

Who to take seriously...

Isn't it great that the virologists-cum-war-strategists-cum-political-scientists have been so quickly able to pivot to ice hockey?

15 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

Absolutely this!!!

This guy is a melt of the highest order. Made a living out of being an absolute prick on and off the ice. 

I have watched hockey (NHL)for nearly 50 years. I have watched the replay of the incident a few times but to me, the distance that the camera is from the incident does not show clearly enough the goings on. It is a very sickening watch but I would need replays from different angles before condemning the “offending” player. 
Not to mention there is an unwritten code of honour among hockey players that using your skate as a weapon would be unthinkable. 

Edited by Canscot

1 hour ago, rossaldinho said:

I know nothing of the sport (apart from watching it for the fights when I was younger), and after watching the video can't tell if it was intentional or not, but I've seen it reported that Petgrave was the player in the league with the most penalty points against him for the 22/23 season. 

14 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

What about the interviewer saying he was the most penalised player last year and is a dirty player ? 

14 minutes ago, been here before said:

Who to take seriously...

Well when you’re a big boy and allowed an opinion of your own you can watch it and let us know what you think. Until then continue to offer nothing. 

9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Isn't it great that the virologists-cum-war-strategists-cum-political-scientists have been so quickly able to pivot to ice hockey?

No one is claiming to be an expert just offering an opinion on what happened the same as you have. 🙄

been here before
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Well when you’re a big boy and allowed an opinion of your own you can watch it and let us know what you think. Until then continue to offer nothing. 

:rofl:

Well when you're a big boy and can read a thread on the internet all on your own...

On 29/10/2023 at 12:57, been here before said:

See if you watch it again the opponent in red skates into one of the Sheffield players, hits into him and is thrown or slides upwards as a result. 

His foot then makes contact as he's heading back down. He'd have to have had Bruce Lee levels of skill to pull off a deliberate kung-fu kick.

Looks to this untrained eye at least, to have been a horrible accident.

....2 days ago :facepalm:

1 minute ago, been here before said:

:rofl:

Well when you're a big boy and can read a thread on the internet all on your own...

....2 days ago :facepalm:

So it is just a problem with other people having a different view to you then. You’ll learn to tolerate that when you’re a big boy. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

No one is claiming to be an expert just offering an opinion on what happened the same as you have. 🙄

Not you bud, but a few posts on here have been along the lines of 'I know nothing about hockey but that's obviously murder.'

I watch a lot of hockey, both in this country and in North America, and couldn't say if that was deliberate or not. I'd like to think that, dirty player or no, he wasn't meaning to catch the poor lad's neck with his skate.

Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Not you bud, but a few posts on here have been along the lines of 'I know nothing about hockey but that's obviously murder.'

I watch a lot of hockey, both in this country and in North America, and couldn't say if that was deliberate or not. I'd like to think that, dirty player or no, he wasn't meaning to catch the poor lad's neck with his skate.

Don’t think anyone thinks he meant to catch him in the neck mate. I think whether he stuck a leg out over and above any natural movement is fair enough. 

been here before
Just now, Dazo said:

So it is just a problem with other people having a different view to you then. You’ll learn to tolerate that when you’re a big boy. 

No really and Im sure you could work that out as opposed to coming on swinging, trying to be a smartarse and ending up looking like a right *****.

Enjoy your night :rofl:

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

No really and Im sure you could work that out as opposed to coming on swinging, trying to be a smartarse and ending up looking like a right *****.

Enjoy your night :rofl:

30 minutes ago, been here before said:

Who to take seriously...

Aye buddy I’m the one swinging. 😂

Who to take seriously indeed. 😘

4 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I agree.  Hockey is a contact sport played at high speed by big men.  Tempers often flair and sometimes players do daft things on impulse.  But no-one would ever do that.

been here before
Just now, Dazo said:

Aye buddy I’m the one swinging. 😂

Who to take seriously indeed. 😘

Have a good night champ :rofl:

18 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

I know nothing of the sport (apart from watching it for the fights when I was younger), and after watching the video can't tell if it was intentional or not, but I've seen it reported that Petgrave was the player in the league with the most penalty points against him for the 22/23 season. 

17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

What about the interviewer saying he was the most penalised player last year and is a dirty player ? 

I've never seen him as being a dirty player. Maybe plays with a bit of an edge to his game but if you can use that to call him dirty then you don't know anything about hockey (not you, personally).

You can get penalties in ice hockey for tripping, holding, interference, and all sorts of other things that are 99% harmless. These penalties wouldn't make you a dirty player. If he gets called for checks to the head, boarding, clipping, kneeing, and so on then yes, that would make someone a dirty player. 

Unless someone has looked at every single penalty he got last year, then I would disagree with that dirty statement. 

He also had 129 PIM's which is a really low number for being the highest. 54 games played so an average 2.8 minutes a game is basically nothing.