Adam Johnson, Ice Hockey Player...

been here before

been here before

Ice hockey player Adam Johnson died last night after accidently getting slashed across the throat during a game in Sheffield by an opponents blade. He gets up with the aid of a team mate but only makes it a couple of yards before collapsing.

There's a video out there and Im certainly not posting it. I always think these injuries you see to footballers who get a bad leg break and their team mates are crying, hugging each other etc are a bit OTT in their reactions but **** me this is horrendous veiwing.

Happened in front of 8000 folk too.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dazo

• been here before

• rossaldinho

• jack D and coke

I watch a lot of ice hockey and am amazed these things don’t happen more often. 

Very sad incident for everyone involved. 

It looks deliberate in the video, but the comments from people who actually know ice hockey seem to suggest it is a complete accident. The injured party was not on the ground as you might automatically assume, he was fully upright on his skates. 

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Saw it. The guy who's skate slit his throat Kung Fu kicked him. He should be charged. 

It looks like manslaughter to me. I've seen it in slow motion and can't convince myself that he needed to raise his leg like that to maintain his balance after his missed shoulder barge, as many are claiming. 

been here before
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It looks deliberate in the video, but the comments from people who actually know ice hockey seem to suggest it is a complete accident. The injured party was not on the ground as you might automatically assume, he was fully upright on his skates. 

I know next to nothing about ice hockey and having saw the video was more than surprised at the 'tackle'.

As you say though there seems to be no condemnation of the opponent from those who know about these things.

I know this is a freak accident but dont ice hockey players have neck protection of some sort? They seem well padded and protected everywhere else.

Shocking news.

Funnily enough, was just talking yesterday about going back to watch the ice hockey - Fife Flyers. Used to love a night at the hockey when I was younger as we knew a lot of the Flyers players at the time, and I live quite near the ice rink. They were due to play Sheffield tonight too.

10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Shocking news.

Funnily enough, was just talking yesterday about going back to watch the ice hockey - Fife Flyers. Used to love a night at the hockey when I was younger as we knew a lot of the Flyers players at the time, and I live quite near the ice rink. They were due to play Sheffield tonight too.

Really good buzz around the club just now with the new coach. I've got my season ticket for the Flyers.

Could hardly sleep last night after hearing about it. Kept checking my phone for some form of positivity around it. 

13 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It looks like manslaughter to me. I've seen it in slow motion and can't convince myself that he needed to raise his leg like that to maintain his balance after his missed shoulder barge, as many are claiming. 

I'm not so sure. Looks like it was deliberate. Obviously never meant to kill him but he did. 

Malinga the Swinga

That's going to be devastating for his family and also teammates. Freak accident imo, you can't be blaming other player as intent wasn't there.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's going to be devastating for his family and also teammates. Freak accident imo, you can't be blaming other player as intent wasn't there.

Is that not why we have a manslaughter charge instead of murder?

That thing you do

I follow ice hockey and before leaving the UK I went home and away with Dundee Stars.

I've never seen or heard anything like this but it is an accident, a very tragic one. 

Looks like EIHL will bring in neck protectors as a response looking in hockey forums etc.

Sad day for the sport and the league. RIP to the player and condolences to the family.

33 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

Really good buzz around the club just now with the new coach. 

Yeah, good to see...although not so keen on the fans packing out the new Pizza Hut after the game when I'm trying to get grub. 😁

been here before
27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm not so sure. Looks like it was deliberate. Obviously never meant to kill him but he did. 

See if you watch it again the opponent in red skates into one of the Sheffield players, hits into him and is thrown or slides upwards as a result. 

His foot then makes contact as he's heading back down. He'd have to have had Bruce Lee levels of skill to pull off a deliberate kung-fu kick.

Looks to this untrained eye at least, to have been a horrible accident.

I saw this happen in a NHL match years ago when I was in Canada, thankfully live on the telly and not in person. Luckily the goalie Clint Malarchuk survived and more goalies started wearing neck protectors, not sure how outfield players could wear them though. 

been here before
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Of course, in my head I was thinking of the hanging ones goalies wear.  But logically that makes no sense. D’oh! 

Aye I originally though of the things you see baseball umpires wearing behind the batter :lol:

I find it mental in a sports of flying blades where every inch kf you has some protection that neck protectors arent compulsory.

For those folk in the know- is the other protection compulsory? Could you play without a helmet or padding etc as long as you wore the correct top?

Carl Fredrickson

My kids arent in to sports but in the last year we have went to see the Capitals once a month or more. We dont know much about the sport but have admired the fast pace and skill of all the players.

To wake up to this news today has hit me a lot harder than I would imagine it would. A player in a sport that they love shouldnt suffer such a horrific injury. The video is sickening and whether it was an accident or not, measures should be taken to prevent this kind of incident happening again. 

Last night the Capitals held a minutes silence for a players mum who passed away, I never thought that the next time we go to a game it may be a player that is being mourned. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, cazzyy said:

Is that not why we have a manslaughter charge instead of murder?

You are still suggesting the player did something deliberately reckless to put someone in danger. It looks and reads as a freak accident with no blame attached to anyone.

No charge should, imo, be forthcoming.

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Yeah, good to see...although not so keen on the fans packing out the new Pizza Hut after the game when I'm trying to get grub. 😁

Get money off a large pizza if you buy a 50/50 ticket the game :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You are still suggesting the player did something deliberately reckless to put someone in danger. It looks and reads as a freak accident with no blame attached to anyone.

No charge should, imo, be forthcoming.

To be fair I've not seen it and don't intend to but I've seen it called a deliberate act, not the outcome obviously.

the sub goalie
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My kids arent in to sports but in the last year we have went to see the Capitals once a month or more. We dont know much about the sport but have admired the fast pace and skill of all the players.

To wake up to this news today has hit me a lot harder than I would imagine it would. A player in a sport that they love shouldnt suffer such a horrific injury. The video is sickening and whether it was an accident or not, measures should be taken to prevent this kind of incident happening again. 

Last night the Capitals held a minutes silence for a players mum who passed away, I never thought that the next time we go to a game it may be a player that is being mourned. 

Was at the Caps game last night and when the news filtered through of the accident, was really surreal watching the game.  

When we heard the arena had been evacuated, we feared the worst.  

RIP AJ.

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

I saw this happen in a NHL match years ago when I was in Canada, thankfully live on the telly and not in person. Luckily the goalie Clint Malarchuk survived and more goalies started wearing neck protectors, not sure how outfield players could wear them though. 

I witnessed that incident too. He did play again after the incident(cut jugular)

Last season Evander Kane (Edmonton Oilers) had his wrist stepped on by a skate. Cut his tendons , ligaments etc. luckily good medical attention was administered right away. He was back playing in about three months. 
tragic news about the young boy though😥

I don’t watch hockey and I’ve seen a few posts saying genuine hockey fans don’t think that was intentional, I’ll take their word for it but looking at it. It does look 100% intentional I canny lie. Obv no to kill the guy just the kick in general. It looked like he wanted to hurt that fella as much as I don’t want to say that. 

rollercoastercod

Your eyes dont have to belong to some sort of “super ice hockey fan expert” to tell you that the lifting of the opponents leg/thigh that high is done with effort and deliberation- effectively weaponised his skate. ok hed didnt mean to kill him. but its hard not to sense that behaviour =deliberate harm =should not have anything yo do with sport. adams parents loss of their son means they have life sentence now. as a minimum that should be investigated. also, why wasnt there rapid on-site medical cover? could he have bee saved by rapid effective would compression? this is a uk ice hockey disaster, not a freak accident. freak accidents are when you slip and slide off a mountain, or your steering wheel falls off, or you surf into a great whites jaws. what some might say is that “freak accident” is (or should not be) not appearing to be assaulted by another ice hockey blade aimed at your neck. jim boni was convicted of manslaughter. and malachuk only survived because he had rapid quality first aid. rip adam. but this should never have happened.

I've watched countless NHL games.  The skater in red lifted his leg intentionally, imo.

Keep watching him after the collision.  Other players on the ice, from both teams, rush to the aid of the injured player while he skates away nonchalantly.  He knew what he'd done.

Dennis Denuto
9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've watched countless NHL games.  The skater in red lifted his leg intentionally, imo.

Keep watching him after the collision.  Other players on the ice, from both teams, rush to the aid of the injured player while he skates away nonchalantly.  He knew what he'd done.

Yeah its not a good look for him.

If you were to kick someone like that in a pub and they died you would be in big trouble, this might be a very difficult time ahead for UK Hockey

I've watched a lot of hockey, albeit NHL where the skating ability is absolute top-notch, and it looks to me like he's left his leg in there. Will probably be very difficult to prove in a court however. Can't imagine Petgrave will ever play again, even if he's allowed to.

e: meant to say that these skaters generally have the ability tio avoid each other if they want to.

Edited by ArcticJambo

31 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I've watched a lot of hockey, albeit NHL where the skating ability is absolute top-notch, and it looks to me like he's left his leg in there. Will probably be very difficult to prove in a court however. Can't imagine Petgrave will ever play again, even if he's allowed to.

e: meant to say that these skaters generally have the ability tio avoid each other if they want to.

Yep think that’s where I’m at and is comparable to a footballer leaving the boot in after a tackle. I doubt he’s thought for a second it would catch him there but it’s not the sort of thing you should be doing with razor sharp blades on your feet. Horrible situation all round and I’m sure the other player will be distraught. 

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

FFS, that’s horrendous.

I eventually watched the footage as curiosity got the better of me. I didn’t realise he was upright and had presumed he had fallen when hit by the skate. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a skate so high in all my time watching hockey. 

Салатные палочки
6 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

This guys thinks it was no accident.

I wish I hadn't watched that video. The fact he walks away from it is even more horrific. The amount of blood is ridiculous. Poor guy. 

That's shocking. It's baffling that so many fans that were there have said it was just an accident. To go into the challenge like that in itself is outrageous. Even if he'd just bodychecked him it would have been a bad challenge but to raise your leg(s)...

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

That's shocking. It's baffling that so many fans that were there have said it was just an accident. To go into the challenge like that in itself is outrageous. Even if he'd just bodychecked him it would have been a bad challenge but to raise your leg(s)...

I think the people at the game might have missed the leg being lifted as it was so fast. A blink and you would have missed it in real time as you would be trying to keep your eye on the puck. 

Having watched the impact (but not the aftermath) a few times, it definitely looks like a deliberate kick and not someone trying to keep their balance.  

9 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

This guys thinks it was no accident.

That's horrendous. The slowed down versions in the replies make it even more obvious that he's deliberately kicked out at the player.

Not a sport I've watched a great deal of but whilst living in Munich my best mate was Canadian so I watched some games with him. I asked the exact question of how likely such an accident happening was - he didn't think it very likely...When you think of the number of games of ice hockey that happen, he's surely right and it was just a very unlucky.

jack D and coke
22 hours ago, KG1874 said:

I don’t watch hockey and I’ve seen a few posts saying genuine hockey fans don’t think that was intentional, I’ll take their word for it but looking at it. It does look 100% intentional I canny lie. Obv no to kill the guy just the kick in general. It looked like he wanted to hurt that fella as much as I don’t want to say that. 

It’s hard to believe this wasn’t some intent there I agree. He looks like he’s went in to do him.
You must be aware raising your skates there’s a chance of this kind of outcome or at very least serious injury. 
Brutal man. 

Shooter McGavin

Looks like he’s outstretched his leg towards the guy with some intent, rather than it flying up due to a loss of balance.

I've no real interest in the sport but saw the video. There's no reason at all for him to raise his leg like that. It's unnatural. 

Apparently the boy has a bit of a name for himself. Be interesting to know if anything had happened in the game that preceded the karate kick.

That thing you do
On 29/10/2023 at 12:02, Sooperstar said:

Correct. It's not deliberate.

It looks very bad but he lost his centre of gravity and raised his leg. It happens in a flash.

The player concerned is utterly distraught about what's happened. Been on the UK Hockey Forum and not one person thinks it's deliberate.

And yes it is possible for a skate to come up high in certain circumstances.