Car Insurance

tightrope

No claims ever, full NCD, no changes to circumstances whatsoever, feckin doubled in price? Wtaf? However they can still pay the CEO million plus bonuses. Pure profiteering. Some bull about courtesy cars pushing prices up but makes no difference to price if you don't want one. Wanks. Rant over 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• henrysmithsgloves

• tightrope

• Sooperstar

• Spellczech

19 minutes ago, tightrope said:

No claims ever, full NCD, no changes to circumstances whatsoever, feckin doubled in price? Wtaf? However they can still pay the CEO million plus bonuses. Pure profiteering. Some bull about courtesy cars pushing prices up but makes no difference to price if you don't want one. Wanks. Rant over 

You'll probably find a deal similar to what you paid last year on the comparison sites.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, tightrope said:

Admiral per chance?

4 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Admiral per chance?

I have them for Home Insurance.  Once my year is up I am switching.

I won't go into details but they really messed me about with a claim, and put me in a difficult situation.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I won't go into details but they really messed me about with a claim, and put me in a difficult situation.

Sounds about right 🥺 I moved to policy expert,half the cost for the same cover. Pity you only find out if any insurance company are good/ bad when you make a claim. Don't know if policy expert are any good though 😔

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Going through a claim right now. Hope it doesn’t become as bad as yours. 

10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

You'll probably find a deal similar to what you paid last year on the comparison sites.

Unfortunately not, seems to have been a huge spike in premiums. Tried every one none under £400. Was £197 last year 

Салатные палочки

Bought a new car a few weeks ago. Almost choked at the quotes i was getting. My last provider was triple the price so had to switch. I'm still not happy but I'll ride this out for the year. 

11 hours ago, tightrope said:

I think it’s the courtesy cars used by third parties after an accident they’re referring to but they’re all at it so the BS still stands 

12 hours ago, tightrope said:

Likewise. Cheapest I found was £110 more expensive 

15 hours ago, tightrope said:

Ours went up by almost £200 from the year before.

Changed to another company and got the same level of cover for almost the same as we had paid the year before, plus we went through a cashback site and got £42 just for going through that, happy days.

House insurance is due next month and current quote is £75 more than last years, aye right, already searched and whilst I can't really get quotes much lower, I can get £34 cashback by switching to somebody else, so it's a no brainer.

Shooter McGavin

Used to know someone who worked for Aviva.

Car insurance prices can fluctuate based on your demographic, rather then your specific history and situation.

If you’re in the 30-39 category for example and they have a bad year claims wise, then that’ll be reflected in your price the following year. It’s all data driven.

16 hours ago, tightrope said:

You have to phone them and moan every year, but be armed with comparison site data too. It's an irritating game...

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Changed to another company and got the same level of cover for almost the same as we had paid the year before, plus we went through a cashback site and got £42 just for going through that, happy days.

House insurance is due next month and current quote is £75 more than last years, aye right, already searched and whilst I can't really get quotes much lower, I can get £34 cashback by switching to somebody else, so it's a no brainer.

Jimbo,who did you change to and what's the best cash back sites? cheers in advance 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exact same as me.

Jimbo,who did you change to and what's the best cash back sites? cheers in advance 

45 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Exact same as me.

Changed from Quote me Happy to Aviva via Topcashback's own comparison, got £42 in cashback 😊

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

do insurance companies take into account vaccination status ?

I realise that wouldn’t necessarily directly affect your risk under car insurance but it may be used as an indicator as how mindful and responsible you are and hence a generic risk indicator - eg show you to be a safer risk if vaccinated compared to  the apparent more reckless and less predicable anti-vaxxer

🤷

24 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I realise that wouldn’t necessarily directly affect your risk under car insurance but it may be used as an indicator as how mindful and responsible you are and hence a generic risk indicator - eg show you to be a safer risk if vaccinated compared to  the apparent more reckless and less predicable anti-vaxxer

🤷

No, not as far as I know.

The only possible reason they would want or need to know someone covid vaccination status would be for health/medical insurance, but even then I'm not sure they could or even would ask something like that.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No, not as far as I know.

The only possible reason they would want or need to know someone covid vaccination status would be for health/medical insurance, but even then I'm not sure they could or even would ask something like that.

thats good news - cheers 😃👍

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

🤷

Believe it or not, there is some data from research on this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9716428/ 

2 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

🤷

🥸

Mines due and went from £382 to £780 !! Phoned them and they shaved £100 off, and that’s beat they could do.   Comparison sites aren’t much better.  Never claimed. Guy said it’s cost of living and the amount of claims causing to rise. Suppose need to just suck it up

periodictabledancer

For folk wondering about the huge leap in premiums. I recently had a conversation with a family member who works in a Jaguar dealership who advised they have had cars in their premises for (nine) months because of a shortage of parts. Imagine the bills for those courtesy cars. 

17 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Mines due and went from £382 to £780 !! Phoned them and they shaved £100 off, and that’s beat they could do.   Comparison sites aren’t much better.  Never claimed. Guy said it’s cost of living and the amount of claims causing to rise. Suppose need to just suck it up

That is absolutely criminal, it will be interesting to end of year profits! None of these shysters run at a loss. Just not making enough millions to keep the shareholders happy. Pure robbery. 

henrysmithsgloves

What gets me is the amount of 18-20 year olds tearing about here in Audi RS's and BMW m classes. How the hell can they afford insurance?😳

3 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

🤷

You get a discount for fitting a tracker so probably yes

20 minutes ago, Black Swan said:

You get a discount for fitting a tracker so probably yes

You also get a discount if you have front & rear dashcams.  I was told by a Saga chap a couple of months ago that there's a big increase in the number of "crash-for-cash" claims that they're having to pay out on because they can't prove it was deliberate.    Having a dash-cam means its likely they can tell if its a genuine accident or not.

If you're confident in your driving ability and the risk of serious damage is low,  increase your voluntary excess by a couple of hundred quid  - you'll get most of that taken off your premium.

That is absolutely criminal, it will be interesting to end of year profits! None of these shysters run at a loss. Just not making enough millions to keep the shareholders happy. Pure robbery. 

It's legalized theft, that's what it is. My policy doubled was £230, they wanted £575 to renew. Comparison check and eventually got it for £375....they really have us over a barrel.

Best quote I could find on Saturday was £398, I didn't have my partner's driving licence number to hand so left it until yesterday morning and went back online to complete the purchase. Same company same details as Saturday now cost £334. Bizarre.

11 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

What gets me is the amount of 18-20 year olds tearing about here in Audi RS's and BMW m classes. How the hell can they afford insurance?😳

Probably, mortgage and bint free...

Mine's due to renewal in October and I was not looking forward to how much it would go up , but I was surprised when I got the renewal email and they were only looking for £40 extra for this year. I did the comparison site checks anyway, and they were all £100's over my renewal quote. I'm expecting it will now jump next year but, needless to say, happy to stick with current insurer for now.

12 hours ago, micole said:

It's legalized theft, that's what it is. My policy doubled was £230, they wanted £575 to renew. Comparison check and eventually got it for £375....they really have us over a barrel.

Yup, as it is a legal requirement to be insured, same as taxed then the Government should provide a set rate for 3rd party F&T insurance (based on age, points, how long driving and vehicle) leaving you to then only negotiate with insurers if you want to add the comprehensive element.

The entire insurance sector in the UK is based on getting as many customers as possible to pay by direct debit, sending out unrealistically high renewal premiums and hoping that people will be too busy or too lazy to shop around. Sod being more efficient, harder-working and more competitive than the rest. Just take existing customers for a ride.

Technically it’s not fraud, but it’s the sharpest of sharp practice. If they all had to offer proper, competitive renewal premiums, the industry would collapse like a house of cards. There’s a lot about the UK’s flagship, much-vaunted financial services sector that stinks to high heaven, and insurance is right up there.

I've got about 2 months before I need to renew but current comparison sites have mine going up by nearly £200. I've been thinking about changing car anyway and this might tip my hand, checked insurance for my existing 2ltr diesel saloon worth about £3k against one I've been looking at that is a 3ltr turbo charged 4x4 with more than twice the BHP and worth about £13k and there's only about £40 difference insurance wise.

highlandjambo3
On 24/09/2023 at 23:18, henrysmithsgloves said:

Sounds about right 🥺 I moved to policy expert,half the cost for the same cover. Pity you only find out if any insurance company are good/bad when you make a claim. Don't know if policy expert are any good though 😔

Correct………

Had business interruption insurance from direct line so, popped in a claim for losses during COVID (15k) but, they refused to pay claiming COVID was not on their virus list as a recognised *virus at the time, COVID only having just established its existence seemed to completely wash over that statement but, legally they were absolutely correct.  I was Paying 1k per year for business insurance as well……..absolutely raging 😡 at the time.

* As explained in very small print on page 2,345 of their policy document.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Correct………

Had business interruption insurance from direct line so, popped in a claim for losses during COVID (15k) but, they refused to pay claiming COVID was not on their virus list as a recognised *virus at the time, COVID only having just established its existence seemed to completely wash over that statement but, legally they were absolutely correct.  I was Paying 1k per year for business insurance as well……..absolutely raging 😡 at the time.

Subsection c paragraph 2d🤬🤬

Are there any good old-fashioned insurance brokers to whom I could speak about my situation.

I'm currently without car and want to know what to buy in a month or two's time. Absolutely no change to my own personal circumstances since getting rid of the old one (other than age) but I also want to ask about what to look for as I'll be insuring Knightley Minor, with his brand, spanking new driving licence on it.

GoCompare etc add anything from £1500 to £4000 to my premium when I add his details. Six months ago, I could have added him for £800 and I also note that the premium just for me has gone from £300 to about £500 on a very basic magnet like a Fiesta or something.

13 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Are there any good old-fashioned insurance brokers to whom I could speak about my situation.

I'm currently without car and want to know what to buy in a month or two's time. Absolutely no change to my own personal circumstances since getting rid of the old one (other than age) but I also want to ask about what to look for as I'll be insuring Knightley Minor, with his brand, spanking new driving licence on it.

GoCompare etc add anything from £1500 to £4000 to my premium when I add his details. Six months ago, I could have added him for £800 and I also note that the premium just for me has gone from £300 to about £500 on a very basic magnet like a Fiesta or something.

Very little you can do when it comes to adding the kids to insurance policies. Adding ours to any of our policies was just as expensive or more as them starting their own. My advice would be get them a car and start their own policy, the sooner the better for their own benefit.

The wife’s policy went from around £400 to £950 this month. 😂 managed to shop around and get it for £550. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Very little you can do when it comes to adding the kids to insurance policies. Adding ours to any of our policies was just as expensive or more as them starting their own. My advice would be get them a car and start their own policy, the sooner the better for their own benefit.

The wife’s policy went from around £400 to £950 this month. 😂 managed to shop around and get it for £550. 

Cheers, Dazo. 

Price comparison sites are all well and good when you're up and running but a little advice from someone in the know would sometimes be useful. 

I've thought about getting him (us) a car and to start building up his NCB with a 3rd party policy. But I also want access to a car and one that I can rely on to get me London to Edinburgh reasonably comfortably. I know I used to do the trip in a Fiat Uno but I'd appreciate marginally more comfort :D

I've got 25 years +  of NCB. Does anyone know whether I lose that if I don't have a policy as the main driver for x years? 

See? this is the stuff that a human being broker would help with!

30 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Cheers, Dazo. 

Price comparison sites are all well and good when you're up and running but a little advice from someone in the know would sometimes be useful. 

I've thought about getting him (us) a car and to start building up his NCB with a 3rd party policy. But I also want access to a car and one that I can rely on to get me London to Edinburgh reasonably comfortably. I know I used to do the trip in a Fiat Uno but I'd appreciate marginally more comfort :D

I've got 25 years +  of NCB. Does anyone know whether I lose that if I don't have a policy as the main driver for x years? 

Insurers will honour your NCD for between 1-3 uninsured years depending on the insurance company, they vary. 

18 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Correct………

Your position was much the same as most businesses unfortunately.  Most insurers detailed what they were covering and that didnt include covid. Direct Line done nothing wrong.  Respectfully it was your expectations that were incorrect (sorry, harsh but true).

I'd also be surprised if there was indeed any very small print. It would most likely be the same font as everything else.

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

I did this as a 17 year old when i started driving, went on my mums car insurance but better to 

bite the bullet and start on your own, to build up a no claims discount , feel sorry for young folk now,

anyway my insurance doubled from 13 a month to 26, total joke , they dont even explain the rise. 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Cheers, Dazo. 

We ended up getting insurance per mile driven for my lad when he passed his test, through Marmalade, and he qualifies for NCB through it too. It is only worthwhile if the kid is not driving too regularly so it depends vastly on individual circumstances. Marmalade were also really good with him when he realised he had been clocking miles driven when he was just a passenger in the car too.   

46 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

We ended up getting insurance per mile driven for my lad when he passed his test, through Marmalade, and he qualifies for NCB through it too. It is only worthwhile if the kid is not driving too regularly so it depends vastly on individual circumstances. Marmalade were also really good with him when he realised he had been clocking miles driven when he was just a passenger in the car too.   

I shall take a look at Marmalade, thanks. I usually hate the stuff: (1) Honey, (2) Jam, (3) Butter, (4-19) Nothing, (20) Marmalade. :D

What kind of car was he in and was it also your car?