Car Insurance

tightrope

Philstampscleaner

This topic is helpful.  My insurance last year was £475, but best price I have found now (Compare the Market) is £1086...wtf! 😤

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• henrysmithsgloves

• tightrope

• Sooperstar

• Spellczech

heartsfc_fan

£201 to £266.

Can't complain judging by some horror stories.

19 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

£201 to £266.

Can't complain judging by some horror stories.

That seems OK, was it with the same company?

heartsfc_fan
2 hours ago, escobri said:

That seems OK, was it with the same company?

Yes. "Flow insurance"

Even shopped about but couldn't get a quote for under £350 so let it automatically renew.

4 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Yes. "Flow insurance"

Even shopped about but couldn't get a quote for under £350 so let it automatically renew.

Nice, I'll give them a try. Cheers

Sooperstar
On 20/12/2023 at 08:01, Sooperstar said:

I'm due for renewal at the end of next month so done a search on a comparison site yesterday. Been quoted only 30 quid more than last year. Am I doing something wrong? Where is my £200+?

Just got my actual renewal quite through from Admiral. Up from £330 to £570. Going through the cancellation process they offered me a discount to bring it down to £488. Cancelled. I'm now getting offers from other insurers at the same price as last year. 

Pet insurance renewal quote came through this morning too - up a tenner a month from 28 to 38.

• 3 weeks later...

I eventually renewed my insurance with 1stCentral, the policy has worked out only £9 more than my previous one and when considering my renewal quote was nearly double last years I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...
henrysmithsgloves

Got renewal in from admiral ,jumped up £100 to £353 . They took £20 off when I cancelled renewal. Still too expensive,can get it elsewhere for same price as last year😁

henrysmithsgloves

Got renewal in from admiral ,jumped up £100 to £353 . They took £20 off when I cancelled renewal. Still too expensive,can get it elsewhere for same price as last year😁

PaddysBar

Got my renewal in - £268 to £438. That’s a 63.4% increase. 

I haven’t changed cars and I haven’t made a claim on car insurance in my life or had any points on my licence. They can feck right off. 

I’ll be shopping around and not giving the ***** a chance to lower or match. 

Der Kaiser

£243 to £369

Quick check on comparison sites shows I can renew for pennies more with at least 6 different companies.....most of which I've never heard of.

Greedy Jambo

I traded in my 1.6 TDCI Focus for a 1.0 litre eco-boost Fiesta, I tried to stick with the same insurance provider, but they wanted £700!

I shopped about and got it down to £460, but still a shit load more than I was previously paying. 

tightrope
7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I traded in my 1.6 TDCI Focus for a 1.0 litre eco-boost Fiesta, I tried to stick with the same insurance provider, but they wanted £700!

I shopped about and got it down to £460, but still a shit load more than I was previously paying. 

How is that even a thing. Absolute disgrace.

On 11/01/2024 at 07:23, Sooperstar said:

Just got my actual renewal quite through from Admiral.

6 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Got renewal in from admiral ,jumped up £100 to £353 .

There seems to be a bit of an Admiral theme developing....  Here's my story.

I had three cars on my Admiral Multi Car policy. 1. 4X4 pick up for the dogs/family clutter - Everyday car. 2. Second (old) 4x4 which is my spare winter car and 3. Sporty car, which is my spare summer car. Cars 2 & 3 are only on the road 6 months of the year each, but I keep them insured all year round just in case they're needed. Overall 21 years No Claims Discount and counting... The pickup, for some reason, is classed as a 'van' although in my case it's a family workhorse, but I accept that it might push the price up. And the 4x4 thing isn't a fashion statement where I live. 300 metres above sea level, on a single track road that doesn't get grit or salt.

Last year, I paid £1200 all in (roughly £600, £300 and £300 respectively for the cars). So, the renewal came in. The pick up went up to £1300 on its own, and the other two went up about £100 each. My insurance was now well over £2000. I called them to be told the pick up (Ford Ranger) was 'high risk'. Not for me I said - I'm in the middle of nowhere with 21 yers NCD. No movement. I spent about ten minutes on Compare The Market and got the pick up to less than £400 with Carole Nash Insurance, who I've insured motorbikes with before. I went back to Admiral to remove it from my multi car policy and they magically found a discount on my other two cars, so I'm now paying less than last year, albeit with two different insurers. Frankly, worth the hassle and he most money I ever made in ten minutes! 

That first quote from Admiral was laughable and insulting though. I've been a bit complacent with renewals before, but not from now on in. I'll be shopping around.

henrysmithsgloves
9 minutes ago, Daktari said:

There seems to be a bit of an Admiral theme developing....  Here's my story.

I had three cars on my Admiral Multi Car policy. 1. 4X4 pick up for the dogs/family clutter - Everyday car. 2. Second (old) 4x4 which is my spare winter car and 3. Sporty car, which is my spare summer car. Cars 2 & 3 are only on the road 6 months of the year each, but I keep them insured all year round just in case they're needed. Overall 21 years No Claims Discount and counting... The pickup, for some reason, is classed as a 'van' although in my case it's a family workhorse, but I accept that it might push the price up. And the 4x4 thing isn't a fashion statement where I live. 300 metres above sea level, on a single track road that doesn't get grit or salt.

Last year, I paid £1200 all in (roughly £600, £300 and £300 respectively for the cars). So, the renewal came in. The pick up went up to £1300 on its own, and the other two went up about £100 each. My insurance was now well over £2000. I called them to be told the pick up (Ford Ranger) was 'high risk'. Not for me I said - I'm in the middle of nowhere with 21 yers NCD. No movement. I spent about ten minutes on Compare The Market and got the pick up to less than £400 with Carole Nash Insurance, who I've insured motorbikes with before. I went back to Admiral to remove it from my multi car policy and they magically found a discount on my other two cars, so I'm now paying less than last year, albeit with two different insurers. Frankly, worth the hassle and he most money I ever made in ten minutes! 

That first quote from Admiral was laughable and insulting though. I've been a bit complacent with renewals before, but not from now on in. I'll be shopping around.

Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

Cheapest for me was a company called marmalade 🧐

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

I'm going to try classic car insurance tomorrow,my MK1 golf is on it. Be interesting to see the difference for a MK3.5 golf😁

Der Kaiser

Ended up renewing elsewhere for £240. £3 less a year than what I'm currently on.

25p extra in my wallet a month..let the good times roll!

PaddysBar
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

Ended up renewing elsewhere for £240. £3 less a year than what I'm currently on.

superb. What you gonna spend your new found riches on mate?

I’d blow the lot on hookers. Might restrict your geographical area to say, Leith though. 

Still, any port in a storm and all that😀

Greedy Jambo
15 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

You could put an offer in for Henrys Mk1 Golf.

The Old Tolbooth

Mine just went from 220 to 492, so I haggled with them and decided a higher excess of £500 would help, and managed to get it to £320 after threatening to leave them etc, I told them I had a quote of cheaper than they had offered me and they sharpened their pencil pretty quickly, be brave and balls it out with them and see how far you can take them 👍

PaddysBar
1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Mine just went from 220 to 492, so I haggled with them and decided a higher excess of £500 would help, and managed to get it to £320 after threatening to leave them etc, I told them I had a quote of cheaper than they had offered me and they sharpened their pencil pretty quickly, be brave and balls it out with them and see how far you can take them 👍

If your renewal date hasn’t passed it might be an idea to try compare the market. They were doing ‘free’ £250 excess cover. 

£220 to £320 with you agreeing to a higher £500 excess doesn’t sound a great deal to be honest, although shopping around is on my list for next week so I don’t know what else is out there. 

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, PaddysBar said:

If your renewal date hasn’t passed it might be an idea to try compare the market. They were doing ‘free’ £250 excess cover. 

£220 to £320 with you agreeing to a higher £500 excess doesn’t sound a great deal to be honest, although shopping around is on my list for next week so I don’t know what else is out there. 

Yeah I seen that one mate. It they charge more of an annual premium to compensate, they’re not daft like. 

PaddysBar
1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Yeah I seen that one mate. It they charge more of an annual premium to compensate, they’re not daft like. 

Insurance is one of those annoying things. The vast majority of us don’t need it but we do need it just in case!

I’m 53 and the only claim on any insurance I’ve ever made was around 20 years ago when we stayed in a flat and the ****er upstairs hammered a nail through a water pipe and flooded us🤣

We had to claim on both buildings (for the wallpaper) and contents (for the carpet) so had to pay a double excess. 

So aged 53 I’ve spent tens of thousands on insurance and claimed less than a grand through no fault of my own😂

henrysmithsgloves
5 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You could put an offer in for Henrys Mk1 Golf.

Ouch! 🤕

Footballfirst

Flow Insurance renewal quote up from £205 to £318. Best new quote I've found so far is Aviva at £255.  I've still got the best part of 4 weeks to find something better though.

• 2 weeks later...
henrysmithsgloves

Well held off till tonight, tried go compare, changed to fully comp. Got it for £225 😳 that's cheaper than last year...must be getting old though, it's Saga insurance. Just need to get car on the road now ,been lying in the garage since February last year,this is gonna be fun😔

On 11/02/2024 at 18:23, Footballfirst said:

Flow Insurance renewal quote up from £205 to £318. Best new quote I've found so far is Aviva at £255.  I've still got the best part of 4 weeks to find something better though.

I'd bite your hand off for 69 pence a day car insurance...:wink:

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, OBE said:

I'd bite your hand off for 69 pence a day car insurance...:wink:

I ended up going with Aviva, but got it for £240 through a different comparison site, so I saved £78 on my original quote.

Greedy Jambo

I'm getting cheaper quotes from the same bloody insurer now. 

I contacted them and they were bugger all help, told me i'd have to cancel my 19 day old policy at a fee of £60 and start again!

henrysmithsgloves
9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm getting cheaper quotes from the same bloody insurer now. 

I contacted them and they were bugger all help, told me i'd have to cancel my 19 day old policy at a fee of £60 and start again!

Sounds about right 🤬

• 1 month later...
If carlsberg did rivals...

Just had a text from direct line telling me my renewal documents are in the post, so I thought I'd check on compare the market and the cheapest is £370 up from £220. Not looking forward to the renewal documents now! How anyone can justify a 70% increase is beyond me.

Jim_Duncan
4 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Just had a text from direct line telling me my renewal documents are in the post, so I thought I'd check on compare the market and the cheapest is £370 up from £220. Not looking forward to the renewal documents now! How anyone can justify a 70% increase is beyond me.

They don’t have to. It’s a total scam. 

If carlsberg did rivals...
38 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

They don’t have to. It’s a total scam. 

I know mate, that's with 9 years no claims! 

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

I know mate, that's with 9 years no claims! 

I’ve got something like 17 years. Insurance gone up by £100 this year. It’s on the to do list for this weekend  

Dennis Reynolds

My renewal quote was up something like £200. Phoned up and they said they could knock £50 off. Told them to bolt which is a shame as they were decent. Always better to shop around. MIL told me she's paying nearly £900 a year as she doesn't change insurers. She's got more money than sense.

brunstanejambo

Admiral renewal came in this weekend - up from £540 to £670.

Compare the Market got me the same cover with Aviva for £425.

I then tried Aviva directly to see if it was cheaper with them that way but no - they quoted me £500.

Back to CtM it was to click on the link to the Aviva website, where I renewed for £425.

Crazy that there is such a difference between providers, and that is cheaper to go through a broker than buying direct. 

Definitely worth shopping around. 

21 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

The poor souls collectively paid out £1.10 for every £1 taken in during 2023. They cite fraud and uninsured drivers as reasons for the increase in costs. I would have thought that aspect would be quite static?

Are electric cars cheaper or more expensive to insure? Was wondering if the cost of fixing those cars is proportionally higher and causing some of the increases.

hughesie27

I paid £250 last year, compare the market had me up at £360. Was pleasantly surprised when my renewal price came through from Aviva for £302 so stuck with them.

Jambof3tornado

Just changed car 2 months into my policy with churchill,they wanted £180 extra, taking the price to £620 ish....I had quotes for for £400....asked them to price match...nah.....oh and we're putting your excess up by £300.......no your F'in not,cancel my policy and send me a refund ya robbing bassers!!!

tightrope
5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The poor souls collectively paid out £1.10 for every £1 taken in during 2023. They cite fraud and uninsured drivers as reasons for the increase in costs. I would have thought that aspect would be quite static?

Are electric cars cheaper or more expensive to insure? Was wondering if the cost of fixing those cars is proportionally higher and causing some of the increases.

I find that hard to believe, probably includes shareholder dividends in that. Robbing bar stewards.

Spellczech
On 10/02/2024 at 23:28, PaddysBar said:

Insurance is one of those annoying things. The vast majority of us don’t need it but we do need it just in case!

I’m 53 and the only claim on any insurance I’ve ever made was around 20 years ago when we stayed in a flat and the ****er upstairs hammered a nail through a water pipe and flooded us🤣

We had to claim on both buildings (for the wallpaper) and contents (for the carpet) so had to pay a double excess. 

So aged 53 I’ve spent tens of thousands on insurance and claimed less than a grand through no fault of my own😂

I've been driving since 1991 and my wife since 2010. During that time I've had 2 no-fault crashes and a theft, she's had one vandalisation and a theft...that's 5 claims with zero fault between us...I protect my no-claims! haha

Spellczech
7 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Just changed car 2 months into my policy with churchill,they wanted £180 extra, taking the price to £620 ish....I had quotes for for £400....asked them to price match...nah.....oh and we're putting your excess up by £300.......no your F'in not,cancel my policy and send me a refund ya robbing bassers!!!

I once pulled an all-nighter to review their FSA return at their HO in Milton Keynes - if I'd not done it they'd have literally had to stop trading the next day, as they'd had multiple extensions and the bloody chief actuary kept changing his numbers. 24 hr non-stop and I got a bottle of Champagne from my boss for saving their butts and making him look great... £50 from a guy earning 500k pa minimum..

Edited by Spellczech