• Chimp

• Pans Jambo

• Bongo 1874

Toxteth O'Grady
13 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Very unlucky with shot that cracked bar but like his attitude 

Needs to add goals to his game. Can’t fault his attitude

On 14/09/2023 at 10:08, Life Aquatic said:

On a side note... how common a name is Kenneth in Costa Rica? 

Are you asking what the frequency is of babies being given that name? 

Superb wee player, was "working" today so watched the game on hearts tv. Dono how his performance came over in the stadium. But some great touches, seems to read the game, has vision, was really impressed with his footballing ability. Works up and down, is only 21 and just settling into a new country. Hope we can keep him for next season aswell. Unfortunately can see us buying and selling.

He’s looking like a great signing. There’s not much to him size wise but he seems really strong. He’s got that we bit of aggression in him that will win him most challenges he goes in for. He’s always on the balls of his feet at the right times and he’s quick. Think he will be some player for us. Him and Oda on the wings has pace and balance. Add that to the two wily old foxes in the middle beside them and it’s going to be exciting times when we get going at full pelt. 

13 minutes ago, thegreatsd said:

He’s looking like a great signing. There’s not much to him size wise but he seems really strong. He’s got that we bit of aggression in him that will win him most challenges he goes in for. He’s always on the balls of his feet at the right times and he’s quick. Think he will be some player for us. Him and Oda on the wings has pace and balance. Add that to the two wily old foxes in the middle beside them and it’s going to be exciting times when we get going at full pelt. 

👍 lots to look forward to potentially 

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

I'vd always assumed the paperwork was more or less done and the loan to buy was simply a bookkeeping exercise.

Yeah, I see the the loan with a option to buy as just safety option in case he comes over and doesn't settle (especially as his wife and child are back in Costa Rica.) So we are not stuck with a player on a long contract who are we are trying to move back after 6 months. I read a Costa Rican journalist mention that the option to buy is trigger after certain things have been reached which I read as after so many games he plays, it becomes permanent.

Glad he has done well again, when he scores there will as big a cheer as when Oda scored his first last season.  

Was a bit anonymous first half but great second half. Good first touch and  never panics when he takes a pass in tight positions. Plenty pace and direct, looking forward to see him progress as the season goes on. 

I like this kid. He's started well here, hit the ground running really. He's got ability, he's got the determination and the work rate, just needs the final product more often. So unlucky today not to score.

We should be taking up that first option. He's only going to get better and he could become very good. 

I genuinely think Oda and Vargas is our best wide man two. Because but only do they do the business up the park, they close down and track back too. We only got them just over 30 mins today, but hopefully going forward we stick with them, and let them switch wings now and again.

Gutted his rocket of a shot that smashed the post never went in, he really deserves a goal, been a real gem for us so far. Hopefully scores next weekend.

Going to be one of those where as soon as he gets one goal he’ll start scoring regularly. Very very promising signs so far and credit where it’s due a cracking looking bit of business from Savage & the recruitment team

18 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Going to be one of those where as soon as he gets one goal he’ll start scoring regularly. Very very promising signs so far and credit where it’s due a cracking looking bit of business from Savage & the recruitment team

Aye. Savage does a decent job when he’s not getting smashed on Jaeger Bombs and spraffing info on players contracts to randoms.

:naughty:

16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Aye. Savage does a decent job when he’s not getting smashed on Jaeger Bombs and spraffing info on players contracts to randoms.

:naughty:

Yeah he really needs to reel it in on these euro trips, nothing wrong with him showing face, saying hello to the fans but it’s embarrassing if he’s not controlling himself and it looks really bad when we’re not playing well 

10 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I genuinely think Oda and Vargas is our best wide man two. Because but only do they do the business up the park, they close down and track back too. We only got them just over 30 mins today, but hopefully going forward we stick with them, and let them switch wings now and again.

to think they are only 21. For their age I think they’re doing really well so far.

13 minutes ago, Chimp said:

to think they are only 21. For their age I think they’re doing really well so far.

Oda just turned 22 last month, but yes people forget how young they are. Vargas is younger than Connor Smith, for example, Oda only 6 months older than Smith.

24 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Oda just turned 22 last month, but yes people forget how young they are. Vargas is younger than Connor Smith, for example, Oda only 6 months older than Smith.

That’s the way I look at it. If those pair were out of our academy we’d be over the moon. From what I’ve seen so far they have all the attributes to do really well in the game. Need to be careful

not to expect too much from them though. The chances of them playing

well every week especially playing on the wing are quite slim. Worrying that if either of them are injured, which Oda is, we only have Forrest as a replacement seeing as McKay is out for what looks like a good while.

8 minutes ago, Chimp said:

That’s the way I look at it. If those pair were out of our academy we’d be over the moon. From what I’ve seen so far they have all the attributes to do really well in the game. Need to be careful

not to expect too much from them though. The chances of them playing

well every week especially playing on the wing are quite slim. Worrying that if either of them are injured, which Oda is, we only have Forrest as a replacement seeing as McKay is out for what looks like a good while.

We have other players that can play out wide, like Lowry or Tagawa, Shankland in a pinch too. Obviously wouldn’t have the same dynamic. But Oda and Vargas for me is the current and the future, and if they have an off game, that’s what subs are for. :smile:

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

We have other players that can play out wide, like Lowry or Tagawa, Shankland in a pinch too. Obviously wouldn’t have the same dynamic. But Oda and Vargas for me is the current and the future, and if they have an off game, that’s what subs are for. :smile:

Lowry isn’t a winger for me and ineffective when played there. Lack of pace for starters. I see him as more of a central player. Shankland on the wing? Come on. Tagawa yeah could possibly do a job there though if need be

He takes up some great positions, we just need to get the ball to him quicker. Couple of times yesterday a first time ball into space and he was in. Going to have a little bit sick in my mouth writing this but we need to do what Hibs do with Boyle and just automatically play the ball into the space on the right knowing he’ll be there, won’t always come off but when it does we’ll catch teams out.

14 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Done the research already... Apparently there are 7,717 Kenneth's in Costa Rica, its the 126th most popular name in the country.

Just seemed an uncommon name for a Spanish speaking country. I believe it's of Gaelic origin.

He doesn't have a Scottish grandparent by any chance... 🤔

19 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

Done the research already... Apparently there are 7,717 Kenneth's in Costa Rica, its the 126th most popular name in the country.

Just seemed an uncommon name for a Spanish speaking country. I believe it's of Gaelic origin.

The name Kenneth is boy's name meaning "born of fire, handsome". Kenneth may have lost much of its luster now, but Kenneth has had its moments of glory. The first king of Scotland was Kenneth, and Sir Kenneth, a Christian crusader, was the hero of the Sir Walter Scott novel The Talisman.

40 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

I posted earlier that there was a large influx of Welsh miners last century, possibly a descendant.

22 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

I posted earlier that there was a large influx of Welsh miners last century, possibly a descendant.

I've heard of Welsh speaking villages in Patagonia and Brazil.

1 minute ago, Life Aquatic said:

I was listening to a history podcast about this the other day (BBC sounds if you're interested.) Although there was indeed an influx of Welsh people there was a whole bunch of others arriving too, and the Lingua Franca was Spanish.

16 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Under rated post. 😃

I'd like to see him play the role Ginnelly did laterly with us, through the middle using his pace against the back line, and I'd keep him up the park when defending set pieces as I think he could do damage on a counter attack.

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

He takes up some great positions, we just need to get the ball to him quicker. Couple of times yesterday a first time ball into space and he was in. Going to have a little bit sick in my mouth writing this but we need to do what Hibs do with Boyle and just automatically play the ball into the space on the right knowing he’ll be there, won’t always come off but when it does we’ll catch teams out.

I agree, we aren’t properly utilising his or Oda’s pace properly yet.

42 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

Yes, central and South America had a lot of Welsh immigrants.

1 hour ago, Life Aquatic said:

They certainly exist in Patagonia. I work in a really Welsh speaking area and it’s literally the only other place in the world you can go to and speak Welsh.

Re: Vargas, what impressed me yesterday was his movement and body positioning. He’s never going to be a big guy, but he is very good at making himself hard to stop. He must be a nightmare to play against - a player where you never quite know what he might try next.

8 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Re: Vargas, what impressed me yesterday was his movement and body positioning. He’s never going to be a big guy, but he is very good at making himself hard to stop. He must be a nightmare to play against - a player where you never quite know what he might try next.

Agree. Skillful player with the tenacity to match

Edited by Chimp

All roads lead to Gorgie

Really impressed so far by his skill and work rate. I hope we keep a close eye on the Costa Rican market for future possibilities.

49 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

They certainly exist in Patagonia. I work in a really Welsh speaking area and it’s literally the only other place in the world you can go to and speak Welsh.

Cool where's this?