W5 D4 L5

youngy1874

Since Naismith, McAvoy or whoever is in charge has came in our record is 5 wins in 14 competative games in all competitions W5 D4 L5

Now prior to Neilson being sacked his last 14 games in all competitions was W6 D1 L7 so he actually won more, granted he lost more also.

But it begs the question, are we any better off with our new management team?

Stats suggest not really.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, youngy1874 said:

Since Naismith, McAvoy or whoever is in charge has came in our record is 5 wins in 14 competative games in all competitions W5 D4 L5

Now prior to Neilson being sacked his last 14 games in all competitions was W6 D1 L7 so he actually won more, granted he lost more also.

About the same, but we can maybe wait a bit longer before we can probably judge tbh. 

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well worth blowing a stagnant account on this. 

Why because I haven't posted in ages. I generally read and don't post a lot. @cookieboy can verify who I am. Season ticket for over 18 years 

The idea that the way to assess the current team/management is by comparison to how we were doing under Neilson is alive and well on multiple threads at the moment. Being pushed by those who want to attack and defend the current state of things.

I just don't see the point. Assess the current situation on its own merits. Performances in the league have been poor. Performances in Europe and in the League Cup have been better. But it is still very early days. It is too early to know whether this is just the management and squad finding their feet before making significant improvements or a sign of worse to come.

1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

The idea that the way to assess the current team/management is by comparison to how we were doing under Neilson is alive and well on multiple threads at the moment. Being pushed by those who want to attack and defend the current state of things.

I just don't see the point. Assess the current situation on its own merits. Performances in the league have been poor. Performances in Europe and in the League Cup have been better. But it is still very early days. It is too early to know whether this is just the management and squad finding their feet before making significant improvements or a sign of worse to come.

Balanced, measured,  intelligent and accurate.  Never catch on.

1 minute ago, db211833 said:

Hibs x2, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Rosenborg x2, PAOK.

Not the easiest start 

Well that is quite the selective list.

Just now, Saint Jambo said:

Well that is quite the selective list.

The OP mentioned 14 fixtures.  That's 8 of them, hard fixtures. No idea what RN fixtures were. But like you say it's irrelevant comparing the 2.

2 minutes ago, db211833 said:

The OP mentioned 14 fixtures.  That's 8 of them, hard fixtures. No idea what RN fixtures were. But like you say it's irrelevant comparing the 2.

True. There have been plenty of difficult games. Equally results and performances in the 'easier' games have not been great. 

7 minutes ago, db211833 said:

Neilson:
Won - H v St. Mirren, H v Aberdeen, A v Hibs, H v Dundee United, A v Hamilton, H v St. Johnstone

Drew - A v Livingston

Lost - H v Rangers, A v Motherwell, A v Celtic, H v Celtic, A v Aberdeen, A v Kilmarnock, H v St, Mirren

Naismith & McAvoy:

Won - H v Ross County, H v Aberdeen, A v St. Johnstone, H v Rosenborg, H v Partick Thistle

Drew - A v St. Mirren, A v Rangers, H v Hibs, H v Kilmarnock

Lost - A v Hibs, H v Celtic, A v Rosenborg, H v PAOK, A v Dundee

Edited by Stanley_

I was only pointing out that the currebt management set up have a win ratio of 35%. You can say it's only a small sample size, or you can say it was against tougher opposition buy ultimately 5 wins in 14 I don't think is good enough.

When I compared it with Neilson I was pointing out that the board felt 6 wins in 14 was enough to warrant a sacking. Granted 6 or 7 defeats in a row ultimately done that. 

People have opinions, not everyone had to agree. I Was merely pointing out alour current win/draw/loss since the new management came in and I just don't think it's good enough.

1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Agreed. A valid criticism to make is that the squad wasn’t ready for the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, youngy1874 said:

I was only pointing out that the currebt management set up have a win ratio of 35%. You can say it's only a small sample size, or you can say it was against tougher opposition buy ultimately 5 wins in 14 I don't think is good enough.

When I compared it with Neilson I was pointing out that the board felt 6 wins in 14 was enough to warrant a sacking. Granted 6 or 7 defeats in a row ultimately done that. 

People have opinions, not everyone had to agree. I Was merely pointing out alour current win/draw/loss since the new management came in and I just don't think it's good enough.

Last seasons results are meaningless.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

Agreed. A valid criticism to make is that the squad wasn’t ready for the start of the season.

Indeed. But that was shouted down on here as well and is still…

Naismiths fixtures - Hibs x2, Rangers, Celtic, Rosenborg x2, PAOK, Aberdeen, St Mirren, Ross County, St Johnstone, Partick, Killie, Dundee

good performances - Partick, Aberdeen, Ross County, Rosenborg (H)

acceptable performances - Hibs (H), St Johnstone, Rangers, St Mirren

Played well enough but didn’t get result - Celtic, PAOK

Poor performances - Dundee, Killie, Hibs (a), Rosenborg (a)

4 out of 14 poor performances. Hibs was his first game and Rosenborg we won the tie. Can understand the concerns with yesterday but needs a couple more months before we can fully judge. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Neilson:
Won - H v St. Mirren, H v Aberdeen, A v Hibs, H v Dundee United, A v Hamilton, H v St. Johnstone

Drew - A v Livingston

Lost - H v Rangers, A v Motherwell, A v Celtic, H v Celtic, A v Aberdeen, A v Kilmarnock, H v St, Mirren

Naismith & McAvoy:

Won - H v Ross County, H v Aberdeen, A v St. Johnstone, H v Rosenborg, H v Partick Thistle

Drew - A v St. Mirren, A v Rangers, H v Hibs, H v Kilmarnock

Lost - A v Hibs, H v Celtic, A v Rosenborg, H v PAOK, A v Dundee

I genuinly don't think there's a great deal between those lists. Rosenborg A wheb you take into account there standard over the 2 legs are more equivelant to an Aberdeen where you would likely see us win at home and probably lose or draw away. Certainly not OF standard. PAOK are probably somewhere in between Aberdeen and an OF standard

Robbie was shite and not up to standard, a bit like the OP 😂😂😂

Pop off to .net and debate with the other mutants whether it should be Lennon or Pep 👌🏼

3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Last seasons results are meaningless.

How can they be meaningless wheb the current management team were in charge for the final games of the season in which we were trying to achieve 3rd place?

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Pop off to .net and debate with the other mutants whether it should be Lennon or Pep 👌🏼

Ohh here we go, as I have an opinion you don't agree with I must be Hibs.

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

As I said I don't post much, but do my previous posts look like I'm a Hibs fan when I'm taking about my dad helping a fellow Jambo thay was seriously hurt?

Game was Hamilton away September 2017, we won 2-1

Screenshot_20230828_221916_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.acf56abe878f92fed9fb1e49d30ca2be.jpg

10 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Is the current set up heading to Hampden and a 3rd place finish? Seems unlikely so far ...

Dennis Reynolds
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Is the current set up heading to Hampden and a 3rd place finish? Seems unlikely so far ...

Already bettered his league cup performance tbf.

20 minutes ago, youngy1874 said:

How can they be meaningless wheb the current management team were in charge for the final games of the season in which we were trying to achieve 3rd place?

Naismith was just a caretaker manager. This seasons results are what we should focus on.

Edited by McCrae

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I am confident we will get 3rd this season.

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I am confident we will get 3rd this season.

We'd really need Beni back to his best and Halkett back fit for that, I think? We can't finish 3rd playing defenders at central midfield. 

Bazzas right boot

Replacing Bob with a better manager was always going to be a challenge,  we failed miserably last time,  jury is still out this time.

The start is very average,  but it is just a start.

We're a Midfielder or 2 from being a good team imo, but we will have our share of poor results and we won't hit the heights some demand.

33 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Already bettered his league cup performance tbf.

And one win away already. Just another two to at least match previous incumbent. Not a high bar tbf. 

Alternatively this season 

Entered three competitions

Progressed in UEFA Conference League to next round

Progressed in SPFL League Cup to next round

A win , a draw and a loss in the SPFL Premiership

League form is where we are doing poorly but even then we are not alone . We are bang average and need to pick it up , but it is very early doors 

Two teams with vastly greater resources than us are struggling to juggle three competitions as well , in fact one of them is struggling juggle just two . Some seasons we do well in the league and fall at the first hurdle in Europe and the league cup . This season we seem to be doing average in the league and a bit better in the league cup and Europe so far . Not the time to panic imo

A_A wehatethehibs

Players are more important than management. Always been the case always will be the case. 

We have got 1 problem of CB which in Kent we have improved.

Possibly we now have a better option for RB than the defensively soft Atkinson as well. 

We unfortunately have not solved the midfield situation after the failures of Kio Grant and Snodgrass. 

This season irrespective whether it was Robbie, Naismith or some other coach, our problems came down to playing personnel first & foremost. Players are more important than anything managers do.

Leveins Battalion
14 hours ago, WageThief said:

Needed yet another thread right enough 😒

It's the most important stat at the club so fair enough if the boy wants to raise it,your popping round the forum defending the club at every poster who is not happy with the running of the club.

12 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Replacing Bob with a better manager was always going to be a challenge,  we failed miserably last time,  jury is still out this time.

The start is very average,  but it is just a start.

We're a Midfielder or 2 from being a good team imo, but we will have our share of poor results and we won't hit the heights some demand.

Fair and balanced statement.

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

It's the most important stat at the club so fair enough if the boy wants to raise it,your popping round the forum defending the club at every poster who is not happy with the running of the club.

Youre popping round the forum , silage spreading negativity and hyperbole 

On 28/08/2023 at 20:21, youngy1874 said:

Why because I haven't posted in ages. I generally read and don't post a lot. @cookieboy can verify who I am. Season ticket for over 18 years 

people doubting your credentials mate ? if only they knew . 

How can you compare mid-season results of Neilson with Naismith's record? If you look at Neilson' record for the same time period the year before (top six end of season matches until league Cup exit off Kilmarnock the next season ) then find he was considerably worse. 

Placid Casual
On 28/08/2023 at 20:37, Saint Jambo said:

This. It’s ridiculous to judge Naismith at such an early stage.

I would say Naismith is getting more out of basically the same set of players than Neilson was getting prior to being sacked. They were absolutely dire for months.

We don’t have a midfield so anything is a bit of a bonus at the moment, recruitment has failed the manager again in this window if they don’t sort this out in the next few days. 

When you continue to recruit from the markets we are there is a settling in it seems for almost everyone, exacerbated by recruiting so late. It seems to be an accepted trade off for a slow start. We're like a horse facing backwards in the stalls and the gun's gone off. 

I don't know what we are doing in midfield, though. With depleted resources in there, we still play only 2. You'd think 3 would have more chance of supplying to 3 forward players than 2 to 4. 

20 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Are the new management not allowed time like who went before them?

It is far too early to be discussing Naismith being sacked in my opinion.

But let's not pretend this is different to what happened with previous managers. I just checked the 'Official Neilson Out' thread that ran for 230 pages. It was started on the very same day he lost his first game. That was despite the fact he had won his first 8 competitive games of the season before that, including beating Hibs in the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Comparisons to previous managers aren't really helpful. Regardless of the fact a section of our support was on Neilson's back from the moment he returned and we're calling for him to be sacked from his very first defeat, that still doesn't make it any more sensible to be thinking about sacking Naismith at this stage in my opinion. The board have backed him in the transfer market and I think he needs to be given time to get things right. But other fans will have a different view and are entitled to that (regardless of what their view was of previous managers).

On 28/08/2023 at 20:15, youngy1874 said:

I suggest the draws may say your talking keek!