1970s supermarket food

JudyJudyJudy

1 hour ago, weegranty said:

Remember getting forced to eat tinned meatballs,absolutely disgusting🤮

Campbells meatballs in gravy. I loved them. I think I could go a tin of them just now.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I remember when thisImage result for marshalls macaroni photo was the only pasta you could buy.

henrysmithsgloves
50 minutes ago, superjack said:

Campbells meatballs in gravy. I loved them. I think I could go a tin of them just now.

Onion gravy? Good luck looking 🥺

59 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They were mentioned on the programme as being in the 70s 

They were "invented" in 77 but I don't think they established themselves until later.  I have no memory of them until the 80s.

10 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Vesta Chow Mein Meal With Crispy Curls 152g Pasta & Noodles vesta

as well as the prawn curry. You had tofry the crispy curly things in deep fat. Amazingly you can still buy this thing but sadly not the prawn curry

I used to love the vesta curries.

10 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No one should have a fat fryer nowadays. They are so unhealthy. 

Should tell that to James Martin and Co.

Lots of deep frying on his shows, that and 1/2lb butter with everything. 

Lone Striker

Did breakfast cereals like Sugar Puffs (staple food of the Honey Bear, iirc)     and Frosties ("they're G-R-E-A-T" according to Tony the Tiger)    make their first appearance in the 70s ?   

Used to love  Sugar  Puffs. 

Grape Nuts was a weird thing   ...... a health fad which was more likely to result in a visit to the dentist .

Did the Cheese Fondue fad start in the late 70s ?    It remains  one of the marketting industry's greatest achievements - getting folk to actually  buy big electric pots and metal skewers simply to dip bits of bread into  melted cheese.  Genius.

Edited by Lone Striker

the posh bit

Cracking thread. 

Crispy Pancakes were class, as were:

Vesta Curries

49ers crisps

Heinz Tinned Risotto 

Fray Bentos pies

Texan Bars. 

Angel Delight

Beef and Tomato Pot Noodles

Chopped Pork. 

Edited by the posh bit

The White Cockade

Instant whip was my favourite 

especially butterscotch 

like somebody else said the meatballs in a tin were minging had a really strange taste 

Fray Bentos bought Campbell's yonks ago, you can still get the onion gravy meatballs.

The gravy is actually liquid these days, and not set like a jelly so that opening a can of these now feels and smells a lot less like a tin of dog food.

5000354403156.jpg

Edited by Cade

henrysmithsgloves
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Best Angel Delight was Butterscotch, especially with chopped-up Mars Bars mixed in.

:greggy:

My favourite 🤤🤤🤤

th-3230616638.jpg

henrysmithsgloves

The most I can remember is home cooked meals, either my mother or grannies. The males never seemed to cook back then"wummins work" 😳 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Fray Bentos bought Campbell's yonks ago, you can still get the onion gravy meatballs.

The gravy is actually liquid these days, and not set like a jelly so that opening a can of these now feels and smells a lot less like a tin of dog food.

5000354403156.jpg

It's the old thick set gravy I loved. Don't get me wrong, I've always known where a tin of this stood. If everyone was brought up with my mothers cooking, they would have seriously loved the evenings when a tin of meatballs was put tea.

They were tje closest thing ro flavour I ever knew.

7 hours ago, Cade said:

Best Angel Delight was Butterscotch, especially with chopped-up Mars Bars mixed in.

:greggy:

Oh, stop it!

That sounds great.  Two of my favourite things from a long time ago, together in a bowl!  :sergioyay:

7 hours ago, superjack said:

It's the old thick set gravy I loved. Don't get me wrong, I've always known where a tin of this stood. If everyone was brought up with my mothers cooking, they would have seriously loved the evenings when a tin of meatballs was put tea.

They were tje closest thing ro flavour I ever knew.

They're shite these days as they moved from beef to chicken during the BSE days. That setting of the gravy on the tin was the animal fat! 

On 25/08/2023 at 11:19, JudyJudyJudy said:

i never thought of that 

I forgot to add, I also put a chicken stock cube in with the rice when it's cooking.

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, superjack said:

I forgot to add, I also put a chicken stock cube in with the rice when it's cooking.

👍

On 25/08/2023 at 04:56, henrysmithsgloves said:

The adverts were better then...who remembers creamola?

th-1965809812.jpg

th-44693274.jpg

There have been multiple attempts to re-launch Creamola Foam under various different names.

Most recently it was put back on the shelves in Scotland in 2019 and as far as I know is still available.

https://mrmacsweets.com/products/creamola-foam

:yas:

Edited by Cade

On 25/08/2023 at 09:34, scott herbertson said:

Vesta Chow Mein Meal With Crispy Curls 152g Pasta & Noodles vesta

as well as the prawn curry. You had tofry the crispy curly things in deep fat. Amazingly you can still buy this thing but sadly not the prawn curry

Don't know if you still get them, but I mind about 15 years ago my Mum found them somewhere and had them a few times. Loved them. Never tried the curry ones.

Has there ever been chicken curry crispy pancakes? Always felt like they'd be nice. Or katsu curry seeing as they're coated in breadcrumbs.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Cade said:

There have been multiple attempts to re-launch Creamola Foam under various different names.

Most recently it was put back on the shelves in Scotland in 2019 and as far as I know is still available.

https://mrmacsweets.com/products/creamola-foam

:yas:

Going to get the Mrs to order some🤤🤤

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Locky said:

Don't know if you still get them, but I mind about 15 years ago my Mum found them somewhere and had them a few times. Loved them. Never tried the curry ones.

Has there ever been chicken curry crispy pancakes? Always felt like they'd be nice. Or katsu curry seeing as they're coated in breadcrumbs.

Katsu curry didn't exist in 1970s Scotland -  in fact curry hardly existed. I think Kushi's would have been the only Indian restaurant in town in the early 1970s, and maybe 3 or 4 chinese restaurants, and that was it

4 hours ago, Locky said:

I used to love these as a kid.

9AA1E2F1-CE75-EADE-6B9C1A7E9C64ECB7.jpg

Edited by allyby

All roads lead to Gorgie

I know it's a food thread but the only coffee my parents seemed to have in the house in the 70s was this and only for visitors as they were tea drinkers at the time. Nescafe followed and with little choice around it was an improvement over Mellow Birds at least.

Image result for Mellow Birds Coffee. Size: 150 x 150. Source: www.akaroo.com

All roads lead to Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Cade said:

Mellow Birds is just the dust that builds up on coffee factory machines, swept up and put in jars.

I'm surprised you can still get it. I wonder who drinks it now anyway. It's like the coffee you used to get on trains with some dust in the bottom of a plastic cup that they filled with water from a hot water jug.

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I'm surprised you can still get it. I wonder who drinks it now anyway. It's like the coffee you used to get on trains with some dust in the bottom of a plastic cup that they filled with water from a hot water jug.

dust-little-britain.gif

Please, please, please don’t mention Vienetta.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Mellow Birds is just the dust that builds up on coffee factory machines, swept up and put in jars.

Go to some parts of Edinburgh and there is no such thing as a mellow bird.

henrysmithsgloves
5 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I know it's a food thread but the only coffee my parents seemed to have in the house in the 70s was this and only for visitors as they were tea drinkers at the time. Nescafe followed and with little choice around it was an improvement over Mellow Birds at least.

Image result for Mellow Birds Coffee. Size: 150 x 150. Source: www.akaroo.com

Awaiting........

th-2847554382.jpg

On 25/08/2023 at 11:24, Pans Jambo said:

That ice cream in the cardboard box was ahead of its time. I liked that. The fruit cocktail was OK but then you got a bit stone of a sour bit of cherry and that put me right aff! The grapes were a bit weird in that syrup too.

They should bring back ice cream in a box, easy to store instead of the big plastic tubs that seem to not fit in your freezer right.

On 25/08/2023 at 19:33, Pans Jambo said:

👍 “sliceable’. Yes I remember my mum cutting it into portions. Sounds weird typing that! Cutting up ice cream with a knife 😂

Yeah, cut a slice and stick it between two wafers for making a slider - no plate or bowl needed.

5 hours ago, Pepe le pew said:

image.png.58e643e956ea2dbc700c3e0d9fb55b93.pngimage.png.58e643e956ea2dbc700c3e0d9fb55b93.pngremember theese

😍

Thing I miss most from the 70s / early 80s is tudor crisps. The curry ones have never been bettered. :(

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Awaiting........

th-2847554382.jpg

Before anyone else does😁:oohmatron:

John Gentleman
On 26/08/2023 at 08:23, Cade said:

5000354403156.jpg

Wasn't it the other way around -- Campbell's bought the Fray Bentos brand?
Campbell's still make them in Australia, but in the UK Baxter's own the brand (and presumably make them).

9 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Wasn't it the other way around -- Campbell's bought the Fray Bentos brand?
Campbell's still make them in Australia, but in the UK Baxter's own the brand (and presumably make them).

As usual, the "ownership" of the brand is hard to pin down.
Fray Bentos was sold to Unilever in 1984.
Campbell's bought the Fray Bentos rights from Unilever in 1993 and for some reason started re-labelling their meatballs as Fray Bentos.

In 2011 the Fray Bentos company (with campbell's meatballs included) was sold on to Premier Foods but the UK regulator banned that and forced them to sell it to Baxters.
So now we're in the ludicrous position where Baxters are now making what were previously known as "Campbell's Meatballs" in Scotland, but under the Fray Bentos brand name!

Edited by Cade

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Before anyone else does😁:oohmatron:

I’m saying nothin 

2 hours ago, Pap said:

I loved the original Campbell's Meatballs. Slice of bread on the plate before pouring them over. Remember the snooker advert for them? :laugh:

Contains my pet peeve:

People pretending to eat things in adverts

:seething:

Edited by Cade