1970s supermarket food

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

There is a good series on channel 5 about the 1970s and the “ revolution” In British supermarkets and the food they supplied ( Wednesday nights ) . It looks at how we became more “ sophisticated “ in our food choices and the advent of ready meals . Mark and sparks were the first ones to introduce “ chicken Kiev”. It looks at the 70s classics like crispy pancakes , prawn cocktails , Vesta curries ( my dad loved them to and they were his and his only and we would be in shit if we touched it ) the horrendous “ angel delights “ ( hated them ) . It looks at how lasagna , spaghetti pizza all became popular due to brits holidaying abroad . What grub do you remember ? 

IMG_5470.jpeg

IMG_5471.jpeg

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, superjack said:

Absolutely loved a findus crispy pancake for tea.

So did i but not when it was boiling hot and you had a burnt lip or tongue. :) 

indianajones
4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

There is a good series on channel 5 about the 1970s and the “ revolution” In British supermarkets and the food they supplied ( Wednesday nights ) . It looks at how we became more “ sophisticated “ in our food choices and the advent of ready meals . Mark and sparks were the first ones to introduce “ chicken Kiev”. It looks at the 70s classics like crispy pancakes , prawn cocktails , Vesta curries ( my dad loved them to and they were his and his only and we would be in shit if we touched it ) the horrendous “ angel delights “ ( hated them ) . It looks at how lasagna , spaghetti pizza all became popular due to brits holidaying abroad . What grub do you remember ? 

IMG_5470.jpeg

IMG_5471.jpeg

Had you much younger James!

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Had you much younger James!

Im young at heart and outlook but then i look in the mirror .................

indianajones
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Im young at heart and outlook but then i look in the mirror .................

😅

Only as old as you feel i suppose! 

Fitzroy Pointon

Made the mistake of telling my mum I liked crispy pancakes once. Felt like we got them every night after that. 

Still love Arctic Roll to this day though. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Salad Fingers said:

Made the mistake of telling my mum I liked crispy pancakes once. Felt like we got them every night after that. 

I dont really like desserts and never have. Unless they were school custard and various cakes...

34 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The mince one was my favourite.

queensferryjambo
36 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

The adverts were better then...who remembers creamola?

th-44693274.jpg

I read somewhere that when Creamola Foam stopped getting made nobody kept the actual recipe so it is absolutely lost to history.

It has been relaunched more than once since then, but the manufacturers basically made a product from what they thought it tasted like.

Stopped getting made 1997 and the last known sealed can sold in 2016 on Ebay 

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

The adverts were better then...who remembers creamola?

th-1965809812.jpg

th-44693274.jpg

Yes i remember the foam. it was nice i seem to recall.

So all 1970s supermarket food was awful, basically. No surprise we're such an unhealthy nation.

Not sure the 80s were much better, what with the invention of the microwave meal... 🤢

Findus Lean Cuisine" barker card (shelf edge label) | SA ...

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

So all 1970s supermarket food was awful, basically. No surprise we're such an unhealthy nation.

Not sure the 80s were much better, what with the invention of the microwave meal... 🤢

Findus Lean Cuisine" barker card (shelf edge label) | SA ...

all full of sugar and salt

scott herbertson

Vesta Chow Mein Meal With Crispy Curls 152g Pasta & Noodles vesta

as well as the prawn curry. You had tofry the crispy curly things in deep fat. Amazingly you can still buy this thing but sadly not the prawn curry

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

as well as the prawn curry. You had tofry the crispy curly things in deep fat. Amazingly you can still buy this thing but sadly not the prawn curry

Yep. In the episode the other night Rustie Lee cooked it. She wasnt too keen on the taste though. 

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Remember getting a mince toastie out the oak pub, burnt ma mouth,  vesta curries were lovely back 

in the day, loved the pancakes as well.

6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Seen these the other day and was going to buy it till I remembered I don’t have a deep fat fryer for the curly things so didn’t bother 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, theshed said:

Seen these the other day and was going to buy it till I remembered I don’t have a deep fat fryer for the curly things so didn’t bother 

No one should have a fat fryer nowadays. They are so unhealthy. 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I don’t know anyone who has one nowadays so very surprised they still sell those chow mein meals as can’t cook the curly things 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, theshed said:

I don’t know anyone who has one nowadays so very surprised they still sell those chow mein meals as can’t cook the curly things 

Yep . Maybe they can be cooked in an air fryer ? I dunno 

Harry Potter
23 minutes ago, theshed said:

Aye, the curly things came out crisp , from the fryer, bit of a faff though , the chow mein was tasty.

liked the beef curry as well, but a faaf with rice that needed boiled, prefer  uncle benns in the micro.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye, the curly things came out crisp , from the fryer, bit of a faff though , the chow mein was tasty.

liked the beef curry as well, but a faaf with rice that needed boiled, prefer  uncle benns in the micro.

I tend to make my own rice . Boil white rice , some turmeric in it , salt pepper , red onion , some  lemon juice and sometimes cut up bits of tomato 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

35 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I tend to make my own rice . Boil white rice , some turmeric in it , salt pepper , red onion , some  lemon juice and sometimes cut up bits of tomato 

Add some fennel seed as well James.

Harry Potter
52 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Sounds lovely, 👍.

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, superjack said:

Add some fennel seed as well James.

i never thought of that 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Sounds lovely, 👍.

it is nice and cheaper than uncle benns 

7 hours ago, Mark_Mywords said:

A tin of fruit cocktail with a rectangle of Walls ice cream from the card box.  Classic at the time. :lol: 

That ice cream in the cardboard box was ahead of its time. I liked that. The fruit cocktail was OK but then you got a bit stone of a sour bit of cherry and that put me right aff! The grapes were a bit weird in that syrup too.

They should bring back ice cream in a box, easy to store instead of the big plastic tubs that seem to not fit in your freezer right.

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Deep fried is the best way to cook. Name something Deep fried that isn't nice, You can't.

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Deep fried is the best way to cook. Name something Deep fried that isn't nice, You can't.

I know they taste good but all that fat ! 

15 hours ago, superjack said:

Absolutely loved a findus crispy pancake for tea.

Made the mistake of telling my mum I liked them.I think to the next time she went shopping she must have bought about 400 packs of them 🤣

Have never eaten them since 

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

That ice cream in the cardboard box was ahead of its time. I liked that. The fruit cocktail was OK but then you got a bit stone of a sour bit of cherry and that put me right aff! The grapes were a bit weird in that syrup too.

They should bring back ice cream in a box, easy to store instead of the big plastic tubs that seem to not fit in your freezer right.

You still get the block in Asda 

15 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Arctic roll is next level. Superb dessert.

Mark_Mywords
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Aye, good idea to bring back the boxes to stack in the freezer.  A lot less wasted space.  

2 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Pot noodle a staple back in the day😎

Don't think they were established until the 80s.  I don't recall seeing them around growing up until the 80s.

henrysmithsgloves
14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Don't think they were established until the 80s.  I don't recall seeing them around growing up until the 80s.

Late 70s mate, before that you could get cup noodles 😳

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

They were mentioned on the programme as being in the 70s