Halkett Injury

gar jambo

the posh bit
12 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Looking forward to getting him back but the one consolation is that rowles is looking much more comfortable with Kent alongside him, talking him through the game 

So, there isn't any massive urgency to rush Halkett back and risk any further relapse 

If it's another month, past his expected comeback date, it's another month 

It's more important that when he comes back he stays injury free rather than the time factor. 

I am not sure that Kent is talking Rowles through games however, so far, they're playing very well together. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• jtkb

• kingantti1874

• Mikey1874

The thing we missed most with Halkett last season was defensively in the air.  We seemed vulnerable every time a cross or corner came in.  This is something we have improved on this season based on games so far.  Kent is good in air but Rowles has noticeably improved as well.   With Offiah and Sibbick we are well covered allowing Halkett all the time he needs to fully recover.  

10 hours ago, the posh bit said:

I am not sure that Kent is talking Rowles through games however, so far, they're playing very well together. 

Well Kent is noticeably vocal and obviously communicating positioning, especially from dead ball situations, and it's probably helping Rowles as he has improved a lot since the tail end of last season 

Of course, it could also be to do with the improvement in defensive coaching, but either way, he has improved. 

A fit Halkett next to Kent with Offiah at RB  and Kinsgley at LB would be our best back 4 in years! Proper defenders that have a bit of grit.

Roll on November!

• 5 months later...
Pans Jambo

No lip reading expert but looked to me like he was saying “its my knee”. 

Hope its just a tweak and hes went off

as a precaution. His pass

today for Vargas was a thing of beauty. 

57 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I hope his knee is getting a scan ASAP then. If its went a wee bit, who knows whats going on there. Don't want to see him back until he's 100%, he's a terrific defender and don't want to risk his long term fitness. Although, obviously his long term fitness has already been impacted given the problems he's been dealing with there.. 

It reminds me a lot of Souttar now sadly. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, because he's too good a player to have these problems persist. 

Gordon Ramsay

I thought he said knee too. A real shame but Kent, Rowles and Kingsley are ahead of him now anyway in my book.

Lovecraft
8 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Was it a knee injury last time? I thought it was his hamstring.

Pretty sure it was an ACL.

saxondale
7 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Pretty sure it was an ACL.

Ah right, maybe I was thinking of the one before.

Naisy just said he hopes it's not anything serious and was more precautionary as Halkett 'felt' something.

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

He did and Naismith confirmed it. Fingers crossed that it’s not serious because we need him in the squad.

Pans Jambo
13 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

He did and Naismith confirmed it. Fingers crossed that it’s not serious because we need him in the squad.

👍

Vlad Magic

He will have been told by our meds team that any pings, pops or twangs he should er on the side of caution and come off.

At least for the time being.

I suspect I felt one of the above. Precautionary in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

You were bang on the money.  He felt a tweak in his knee so Naismith took him off as a precaution, 

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I thought he said knee too. A real shame but Kent, Rowles and Kingsley are ahead of him now anyway in my book.

Our first choice back 3 is Kingsley, Halkett and Kent imo. But good to have options.

Halkett never looked comfortable and put Hearts In 2 dangerous occasions but thanks to Kingsley with Lembikisa & Cochrane playing well Hearts were in good form 

Halkett did ping a terrific ball through for Vargas that led to the lad scoring.

amadjambo
1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Our first choice back 3 is Kingsley, Halkett and Kent imo. But good to have options.

A fully fit Halkett gets into the starting line up.

Doibt we’d have lost the goal today had Halkett been on the park, or Kent for that matter. Neither Rowles or Kingsley are dominant in the air and part of the reason we shipped goals from crosses so frequently last season.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Rowles is first choice, and rightly so.

I P Knightley

The medics know better than me but, given his lengthy knee injury, I thought it was a bit of a risk to train him all week and play him on an artificial surface. Today's looked like one of the better pitches but, still, if Rowles is available and Kent was on the bench, might have been better to bed him back in on grass.

gorgierulesapply88

Him nor Rowles fill me with confidence, Halkett has always carried that extra bit timber.

He, if out for over a month should do what Rangers have done with Souttar. Otherwise rip up his contract,  wage thief 

Watt-Zeefuik

Hindsight is 20/20 but never should have been on that pitch tonight. Rowles, Kent, and Sibbick were fit AFAIK. Plastic pitches are brutal on knees.

colinmaroon
5 hours ago, amadjambo said:

Doibt we’d have lost the goal today had Halkett been on the park, or Kent for that matter. Neither Rowles or Kingsley are dominant in the air and part of the reason we shipped goals from crosses so frequently last season.

Kingsley is dominant in the air. 

90% of the time the cross into the box doesn't find space.  The ball that lands in that 1 metre pocket occupied by an attacker happens.  We can say it was defender's fault but if the delivery is short by inches, defender clears.

I think given the length of Halketts lay off he's going to be susceptible to niggles now. We are in a position now where we don't need to rush him back or take risks with him and that's a good place to be. His pass for the Vargas goal was brilliant. Hopefully on a minor niggle and he's back soon.

12 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

He will have been told by our meds team that any pings, pops or twangs he should er on the side of caution and come off.

At least for the time being.

I suspect I felt one of the above. Precautionary in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

12 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

He didn't look too concerned going off.

Yeah, he will have been told not to take any chances. 

He looked properly distraught on at least one of his other significant injury relapses and, given it was his knee, I think he would have used a stretcher if it was anything significant. 

He had a wee chat with Shanks before going off, who didn’t look concerned.

davemclaren
7 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Him nor Rowles fill me with confidence, Halkett has always carried that extra bit timber.

He, if out for over a month should do what Rangers have done with Souttar. Otherwise rip up his contract,  wage thief 

What did Rangers do with Souttar? You can't just rip up a contract. 

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, mscjambo said:

I think given the length of Halketts lay off he's going to be susceptible to niggles now. We are in a position now where we don't need to rush him back or take risks with him and that's a good place to be. His pass for the Vargas goal was brilliant. Hopefully on a minor niggle and he's back soon.

Yeh we’re lucky we don’t have to force it with him. We have cover and we’re in a good place.

Dunno why we played him on that surface (as decent as it was) Maybe hoped we’d get 90 easy minutes into him.

Hes been miles off it recently. Only to be expected with his injury, so it might be a good while before we seen him at his best

JimmyCant
10 hours ago, amadjambo said:

Loads of ‘what ifs’ about that goal but the boy has put a superb cross in and a late runner sees it all the way. We had 2 players not where you’d ideally want them, so they’ve pulled us about a bit and 1 player who’s notorious for not tracking box runners all the way in.  Every goal has a defensive mistake of some kind though I suppose and I’m not convinced Halkett is stopping that one just by being there instead of Kingsley

Edited by JimmyCant

Sad to say personally do not think Halks will get back to his best at his age. The years of constant bad injuries have taken its toll. The Dundee game he looked so slow and making silly mistakes the airdrie game another silly mistake and you could see the sweat pouring of him after 10 mins. Looks like he is carrying bit of timber as well sadly .Not blaming the surface as lots of defenders play on that stuff week in week out. Gutted for him as him and Kent in the heart of the defence would have been like the castle rock 😒

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Yeh we’re lucky we don’t have to force it with him. We have cover and we’re in a good place.

Dunno why we played him on that surface (as decent as it was) Maybe hoped we’d get 90 easy minutes into him.

Hes been miles off it recently. Only to be expected with his injury, so it might be a good while before we seen him at his best

I could be way wrong on this but I think understandably so Halkett himself is cautious and worried so any niggle he's thinking no get me off. 

The injuries have to have impacted his mental health etc and how he acts etc...it can't not have had an impact 

The Mercer Takeover
7 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

I could be way wrong on this but I think understandably so Halkett himself is cautious and worried so any niggle he's thinking no get me off. 

The injuries have to have impacted his mental health etc and how he acts etc...it can't not have had an impact 

This

13 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

You are bang on with this we see that with few silly mistakes he has made that was not typical Halks.

His mind is definitely not as focused and the constant injuries must have been so tough for him .

Feel for big halks we all forget at times players are not robots or pieces on a chess board but humans justice like us all.

I wish him all the best. A fabulous defender when fully fit, and a guy who cares passionately about the club.

I’ll never forget seeing the state he was in after that Cup final penalty shoot-out against Celtic. Absolutely distraught.

1 minute ago, jtkb said:

You are bang on with this we see that with few silly mistakes he has made that was not typical Halks.

His mind is definitely not as focused and the constant injuries must have been so tough for him .

Feel for big halks we all forget at times players are not robots or pieces on a chess board but humans justice like us all.

Exactly.

Thinking knowing the pressure isn't there to be fit probably helps. He simply needs a wee run injury free. 

I'm glad we've kept him even if it is as a squad player 

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, mscjambo said:

Good points you've made there. Rather than take aim at his weight etc. think of the human element. Difficult for some on here though, with their impeccable lives. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Good points you've made there. Rather than take aim at his weight etc. think of the human element. Difficult for some on here though, with their impeccable lives. 

It was the same for Shanks carrying all that extra weight at the beginning of the season. Lucky for him we never tore his contract up or loaned him to a League one side.    😎

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It was the same for Shanks carrying all that extra weight at the beginning of the season. Lucky for him we never tore his contract up or loaned him to a League one side.    😎

Exactly. Going back to Shanks' interview after the game last night. I'm genuinely struggling to think of one like it. I've never seen a footballer be quite so relaxed, happy and giddy in an interview. For a 'fat, lazy, wantaway' striker, he certainly doesn't show it. 

Jim_Duncan
5 hours ago, mscjambo said:

This season should be about getting him back to full fitness and then hopefully he can be part of a good back three with Kent and Rowles next year. 

He was actually becoming quite Souttaresque just before he got his run of injuries, breaking from defence and playing passes like the one he did yesterday. 

Dennis Law
20 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Halkett never looked comfortable and put Hearts In 2 dangerous occasions but thanks to Kingsley with Lembikisa & Cochrane playing well Hearts were in good form 

Halkett did ping a terrific ball through for Vargas that led to the lad scoring.

Lembikisa playing well!!! Did you watch the game yesterday? I’m sitting in a bar in Tenerife and could see he was having a nightmare. How many times did he pass to an opponent 4 or 5 I can recall. Not impressed but it is early days 

1 hour ago, Dennis Law said:

Lembikisa playing well!!! Did you watch the game yesterday? I’m sitting in a bar in Tenerife and could see he was having a nightmare. How many times did he pass to an opponent 4 or 5 I can recall. Not impressed but it is early days 

Agree. good going forward but bit of a nightmare in defence.   Distribution was pretty poor for most of the match.   Enjoyed the game though and credit to Airdrie for trying to match us.

mellors1874

Spoke with Halkett outside the stadium after the game and it was a precautionary measure and he said he felt fine.

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, mellors1874 said:

Spoke with Halkett outside the stadium after the game and it was a precautionary measure and he said he felt fine.

Thanks for that - very good news. Fingers crossed for him - we are a better squad with him in it.

Robbo-Jambo
7 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Exactly. Going back to Shanks' interview after the game last night. I'm genuinely struggling to think of one like it. I've never seen a footballer be quite so relaxed, happy and giddy in an interview. For a 'fat, lazy, wantaway' striker, he certainly doesn't show it. 

Absolutely this.

He looked genuinely happy with his lot and it was great to see.

Pasquale for King

He will be fine, with a run of games late on in the season, a preseason and fully fit for next season. He was always going to take a while to get back with his injury record and body size.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Getting a scan today. Hearts say it's not related to his long term injury. 

They say that, but having a knee injury means you're likely to over compensate and cause stress to other part of your body. 

His previous injury might, indirectly, be causing issues elsewhere.

PapaShango
57 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

They say that, but having a knee injury means you're likely to over compensate and cause stress to other part of your body. 

His previous injury might, indirectly, be causing issues elsewhere.

Hopefully he is ok and nothing long term. He's a massive player for us when he is fit.