What happens when...

Legend Claws

Legend Claws

Cochrane is back and Halkett is fit? Where does Kingsley fit in? Will he play left of a back 3? Is the current back 4 purely based on necessity? If not, does Rowles drop out for Halkett? What about Sibbick?

So many questions, but quality options are a very nice problem to have.

It’s the sudden wealth of attacking options that make it tricky to attempt to pick a likely best 11. The defence, at least until Halks comes back will be -Atkinson, Kent, Rowles and Cochrane. Loads of options and competition for places in midfield and attack and I couldn’t even attempt to pick a best team.  Good times ahead. 

Cochrane suits the current system more than Kingsley. The full backs are stepping in to midfield, joining the attacks, under lapping and full of energy. I love Kingsley but not sure he’s capable of all that.

Halkett is just miles ahead of Rowles.

Big opportunity for Kingsley to retake his place as our starting LB, if he hits top form then Cochrane needs to earn his way back in after his suspension imo.

Halkett is better than Rowles and a pairing of him & Kent will be an absolute wall.

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Cochrane suits the current system more than Kingsley. The full backs are stepping in to midfield, joining the attacks, under lapping and full of energy. I love Kingsley but not sure he’s capable of all that.

I think he is capable of it tbf - he’s not as fast as Alex but he can certainly supplement the attack, has a great delivery on him & a belter of a strike too. His attacking play is arguably what made us love him in the first place.

Mr Elwood P

Halkett will need to get fit and stay fit before he moves Rowles out of the starting 11. He's been here for over 4 years now and has only played 84 league games. Pretty much injured for half of his Hearts career. It is very much wait and see. Rowles is a sellable asset if he gets back to his best and I think he will play, otherwise that huge contract length looks a bit silly..

14 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Big opportunity for Kingsley to retake his place as our starting LB, if he hits top form then Cochrane needs to earn his way back in after his suspension imo.

Halkett is better than Rowles and a pairing of him & Kent will be an absolute wall.

Is it 1 more game Cochrane is suspended for?

12 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Maybe not as big as you think.

Rosenborg - Cochrane available 

Kilmarnock - suspended 

Rosenborg - available 

Partick - available 

Poss Euro tie - available 

Dundee - suspended 

Busy month and I’ll think we’ll need both. Really glad our squad looks like it’s got decent depth at last. 

Just now, Shaggy2 said:

Maybe not as big as you think.

Rosenborg - Cochrane available 

Kilmarnock - suspended 

Rosenborg - available 

Partick - available 

Poss Euro tie - available 

Dundee - suspended 

Busy month and I’ll think we’ll need both. Really glad our squad looks like it’s got decent depth at last. 

I forgot about the Partick game tbf

BRAVEHEART1874

A  clean sheet, just what we needed after some of the performances last year :)

So  I wouldnt be too hasty in  droping the  5ft 10 defender for a 5ft 8 one just yet.

Mind you we might need a kingsley specal sometime soon its been a whie ;)

It all depends on how people play in the upcoming games and how much they impress the coaching team in training.  In addition I would guess what team we are playing against, the state of an individual's health and the need to ensure that everyone feels involved will affect team making decisions for individual matches.  

All of this might be hard to take for the "X" is finished, "So and so" is rubbish and other variations of fans who know better than mgmt. It's all very well thinking Halkett is better than Rowles but if Halkett is carrying a knock Rowles will play. Cochrane might be younger and quicker than Kingsley but who would you want taking a free kick on the edge of the box. We need choices and players who contribute different qualities st different times. 

The_razors_edge

The good thing about having Kent is we won’t need to rush Halkett back. We’ll be able to ease him back in gently. So hopefully once he’s fully fit, he’ll manage to stay fit.

28 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

I think he is capable of it tbf - he’s not as fast as Alex but he can certainly supplement the attack, has a great delivery on him & a belter of a strike too. His attacking play is arguably what made us love him in the first place.

He’s definitely a threat in the attacking third. It was probably more the distance he’d have to cover and the high intensity pressing that Cochrane is better at.

Play the best 4 at all times. Our standards need to be set so high that even a 7/10 performance the previous week or silly booking picked up will mean you are not a certain starter the following week. Absolutely no passengers, no stupidity and no silly errors.

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Cochrane walks back in. No place for Sibbick. Halkett like other posters said has to get fit first. 

Cochrane's red cards have all been in big games. Naismith might think twice about putting him straight back in against Rosenborg..

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Play the best 4 at all times. Our standards need to be set so high that even a 7/10 performance the previous week or silly booking picked up will mean you are not a certain starter the following week. Absolutely no passengers, no stupidity and no silly errors.

The best centre back we've had in the last decade made a silly mistake yesterday. That mistake handed Kilmarnock 3 points. Unrealistic expectations to have of our current backline.

Ricardo Quaresma

Everybody has to earn their place back; no automatic walking back in and I expect that will be a continual cycle, only suspensions and the like should ever force a choice

We saw what happened when snodgrass was auto-picked

9 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Everybody has to earn their place back; no automatic walking back in and I expect that will be a continual cycle, only suspensions and the like should ever force a choice

We saw what happened when snodgrass was auto-picked

Good post. All of a sudden we’ve got competition for places all over the park, except maybe right back and I’m sure we will sign another one. 

Ricardo Quaresma
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good post. All of a sudden we’ve got competition for places all over the park, except maybe right back and I’m sure we will sign another one. 

The thing you know about Naisy is he'll call it straight down the middle; yes, the places and competition will drive the standard right up 👍

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Halkett will need to get fit and stay fit before he moves Rowles out of the starting 11. He's been here for over 4 years now and has only played 84 league games. Pretty much injured for half of his Hearts career. It is very much wait and see. Rowles is a sellable asset if he gets back to his best and I think he will play, otherwise that huge contract length looks a bit silly..

It’s the lack of speed that is killing Rowles. It’s also going to limit potential clubs interested in him. Cant see us getting a big fee for him.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I disagree with that. Robbie's system suited Cochrane more as he was basically a wing back and would bomb up and down, but this system requires more skill and composure (and less running) - and that suits Kingsley who is a better footballer than Cochrane.

Agree with Halkett though; him and Kent would be utterly dominant.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 minutes ago, saxondale said:

I disagree with that. Robbie's system suited Cochrane more as he was basically a wing back and would bomb up and down, but this system requires more skill and composure (and less running) - and that suits Kingsley who is a better footballer than Cochrane.

I think they'd be like Pressley and Webster

Mr Elwood P
12 minutes ago, McCrae said:

It’s the lack of speed that is killing Rowles. It’s also going to limit potential clubs interested in him. Cant see us getting a big fee for him.

Yet held his own against Denmark and Argentina at a World Cup? Sure clubs will be interested if he gets back to his best for us.

If we get into group stages (big if) and get to SFs of both cups you're looking at 50+ games.  Injuries, suspensions and form dips all happen.  Was there a single game last season where our 'best XI' was on the park?

If it was a cup final with the whole squad available then personally I'd want a back 4 of Atkinson, Halkett, Kent and Cochrane, but Halkett would be the only must start for me

Bungalow Bill

I think Rowels drops out once Halkett is back, it’s not a difficult choice for me. 

Kingsley v Cochran though, big fan of both. I think it’s just a proper battle for that position, stay in good form or lose your place. 

Great to have options at the back.

Cochrane. Very good player.

Kingsley. Looks like getting form back to what he was. 

Rowles. Looking better with solid player alongside.

Kent. Very good so far.

Sibbick. Still hopeful. Has all the attributes, just needs to sort positional sense and cut out odd brain fart.

Atkinson great going forward still needs to work on defending.

Hallkett. Can take wee bit more time for full recovery and rehabilitation.

All good 🫰

Edited by Baldy61

johnking123

Don't Need a left footed CB so much when playing two at the back. Kent and halkett would be a solid wall to get past.

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Was pre injury. Let’s wait and see how he comes back. 

Allowayjambo1874

I’m not sure we will need to worry about this as I don’t think in the last 5 years there has been a single week where we have every single player fit and available. 

last season the general wisdom was that we had a really strong squad, but if you include subs appearances Forrest made 35 league appearances, Halliday 26 and Kio 22 and personally I think those were squad players. 

Early indication is that the depth is far stronger but I’ve no doubt we will end up utilising players that we didn’t expect to more than you would think. 

Neverforgetfiveone
3 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

Cochrane is back and Halkett is fit? Where does Kingsley fit in? Will he play left of a back 3? Is the current back 4 purely based on necessity? If not, does Rowles drop out for Halkett? What about Sibbick?

So many questions, but quality options are a very nice problem to have.

This is the auld Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Beckham one….

Everyone remembers that midfield line up. What they forget is that Nicky Butt played 20 games a season, Phil Neville played 20 games a season.

The master stroke is seamless rotations! Those squad players might not have been starters but they did the job when required and as we saw with Phil Neville, he was good enough to play 300 games for Everton and also captain them. 

We’ve now got an excellent squad, it’s about picking the right players for the different challenges throughout the campaign. 

1 minute ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

I’m not sure we will need to worry about this as I don’t think in the last 5 years there has been a single week where we have every single player fit and available. 

last season the general wisdom was that we had a really strong squad, but if you include subs appearances Forrest made 35 league appearances, Halliday 26 and Kio 22 and personally I think those were squad players. 

Early indication is that the depth is far stronger but I’ve no doubt we will end up utilising players that we didn’t expect to more than you would think. 

Was just going to say that too. I’d be very surprised if there’s many weeks where we have Natty, Halkett, Kent, Rowles, Sibbick, Kingsley and Cochrane all available at the one time. Add onto that we are probably getting a new RB in this week. Great to have such depth all over the squad now 

Pasquale for King

Kingsley will not be able to physically play all the games this month, he was struggling a little yesterday after an hour. Cochrane much more suited to being inverted than him too. 
Halkett takes Rowles place everyday of the week but again we will need to be careful with his game time. 
Another RB keeps Atkinson on his toes, Sibbick may well struggle for games though. 

3 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Cochrane is better than Kingsley and Halks if fit plays ahead of Rowles.

This I think, as others have highlighted Webster and big Zal were both right footed, as are CCV and Starfelt at Celtic (no doubt loads more examples too). A Kent/Halkett CB pairing is pretty mouth watering and has the potential to be an absolute brick wall for most sides in the league - would be especially interested at how we'd get on against Aberdeen/Hibs/Celitc & Rangers with that pairing. 

I think Rowles and Kingsley have a lot to do to demonstrate they should keep their place. Rowles especially, because at his age, he can't afford to be losing his place in the team but I really think he needs to do more to prove he deserves his spot. 

39 minutes ago, saxondale said:

This is spot on re the LB position, although I’d add that Cochrane appears to have more leadership and drive to make things happen in games, which really gets the crowd going too. 

fabienleclerq
11 minutes ago, OTT said:

This I think, as others have highlighted Webster and big Zal were both right footed, as are CCV and Starfelt at Celtic (no doubt loads more examples too). A Kent/Halkett CB pairing is pretty mouth watering and has the potential to be an absolute brick wall for most sides in the league - would be especially interested at how we'd get on against Aberdeen/Hibs/Celitc & Rangers with that pairing. 

I think Rowles and Kingsley have a lot to do to demonstrate they should keep their place. Rowles especially, because at his age, he can't afford to be losing his place in the team but I really think he needs to do more to prove he deserves his spot. 

I think Rowles will keep growing but he needs to sharpen up, he was delaying passes and getting into trouble yesterday.  He ended up playing the first pass he was looking at anyway so just do it first time!

Teams are gonna target him I think. Needs to be more aggressive to keep his spot.

28 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think Rowles will keep growing but he needs to sharpen up, he was delaying passes and getting into trouble yesterday.  He ended up playing the first pass he was looking at anyway so just do it first time!

Teams are gonna target him I think. Needs to be more aggressive to keep his spot.

I don't think is rowles is even as bad as folk make out. Oda makes mistakes and dribbles too much and gives ball away. Nothing said. Rowles makes one mistake and it's scrutinised. He had poor form end of last season. Let's give him a clean slate this new season. Same with forrest, sibbick and Haliday. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Fantastic work assembling such a strong squad wouldn't you say? 

2 minutes ago, skacel103 said:

I don't think is rowles is even as bad as folk make out. Oda makes mistakes and dribbles too much and gives ball away. Nothing said. Rowles makes one mistake and it's scrutinised. He had poor form end of last season. Let's give him a clean slate this new season. Same with forrest, sibbick and Haliday. 

Oda has much less experience than Rowles + Rowles is an international defender. 

Its not folk being harsh on Rowles, its folk putting expectation on him. The same expectation that Souttar, Berra, Halkett and many others dealt with. 

After yesterday's performance Natty has given him a big chance for that right back spot. Reckon we need cover if he gets injured.  Maybe Toby could do that but rather proper right back as cover. Not sure we are ever going to get a full season out of Halket at his age now his constant injuries just going to plague him hope I am wrong love him as a player. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, jtkb said:

After yesterday's performance Natty has given him a big chance for that right back spot. Reckon we need cover if he gets injured.  Maybe Toby could do that but rather proper right back as cover. Not sure we are ever going to get a full season out of Halket at his age now his constant injuries just going to plague him hope I am wrong love him as a player. 

Well he's the only natural right back at the club, so it would be a bit of a concern if he wasn't in contention..

Boyces beard

Kingsley will need to sit on the bench when Cochrane is fit imo. He has not been anything like the player he was since he got his Scotland call up and returned from his injury/personal issues.

A fully fit Halkett becomes our best Centre Back and every other Centre Back at the club will have to fight for the remaining spot along side him if were sticking with a back 4. If we go to a back 3 its Halks, Kent and most likely Rowles for me before Kingsley.

Luckies1874
3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

This. 

Rowles is being dismissed far too easily. The club have made a huge commitment to him with a 5 year contract and he’s not just going to be emptied out the side. Halkett has huge questions over his overall fitness and whether he can get fit and stay fit. Time will tell whether he has the answers but I’m currently skeptical as to how much we can rely on him. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

That seems pretty mental, with the exception of Sibbick, which central defenders are blessed with pace? Halkett? Kent? Outside Hearts, what's the expectation that defenders need pace or they'll not be attractive?

I gave Rowles my attention yesterday, the lad played well. He's intelligent, understand his position, gets stuck in, and he can play a bit too.

He had a slump after January, but so did our whole team.

15 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

This. 

Rowles is being dismissed far too easily. The club have made a huge commitment to him with a 5 year contract and he’s not just going to be emptied out the side. Halkett has huge questions over his overall fitness and whether he can get fit and stay fit. Time will tell whether he has the answers but I’m currently skeptical as to how much we can rely on him. 

This