Horizon IT - Post Office - Public Enquiry

periodictabledancer

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm not in anyway trying to defend the Post Office, I just think that, at the start it could look like the new system found out something that the old paper system didn't and it would be easier to skim money in a paper system, I can see why they'd believe a multimillion pound computer.

I can see why this might prevail in the early days of Horizon but when it gets to the point that 100's have been prosecuted - some for massive amounts of "losses" and the PO has (AFAIK) NEVER recovered any money from the "guilty" -  then where did they think the money had gone to. 

Not only rhat, these people had put money up to what was efftively a franchise - why would you steal huge amounts from your own business , especially considering the SPMs were liable for any losses anyway.

On those two levels alone it defied all logic and the PO knew it so  they hid behind the ruling that anything a computers says is accepted unquestioningly.  Job done. 

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• periodictabledancer

• Victorian

• Lone Striker

kawasakijambo
On 11/01/2024 at 09:31, Nookie Bear said:

Spot on. Handing back a CBE isn't even close to enough.

And even the lowliest bank clerk will be made aware of this law from day one on the job: A conviction for failing to disclose suspicion of criminal property or money laundering can incur a custodial sentence of up to five years and an unlimited fine.

How many people in the lower/mid/upper echelons of the companies involved wilfully ignored the pattern that was staring at them in the face? How many ignored the huge number of concerns raised? Obviously there is a difference between ignoring potential fraud and ignoring a wrongful accusation of fraud but personally i feel the same standards should apply once criminal proceedings begin.

Handing back CBE means nothing, the King must rescind it, do you think Chuckie boy will ever do that?

Never let this matter be forgotten.

Edited by kawasakijambo

noskillson

Upper management received bonuses relating to profits, performance  and turnover.    Recovered monies were included in profit and it was in management interests to perpetuate this hoovering process.. they should repaying all these bonuses and prosecuted for fraud

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm not in anyway trying to defend the Post Office, I just think that, at the start it could look like the new system found out something that the old paper system didn't and it would be easier to skim money in a paper system, I can see why they'd believe a multimillion pound computer.

I agree. The first dozen or so cases you'd be thinking 'oh aye what's going on here' then it gets to 50 then 100 and you'd be like faaahhhk we've got a problem here.

46 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I agree. The first dozen or so cases you'd be thinking 'oh aye what's going on here' then it gets to 50 then 100 and you'd be like faaahhhk we've got a problem here.

And admit failings? Never! Far better to cover up, double down, especially if everyone else is willing to do so too.

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

And admit failings? Never! Far better to cover up, double down, especially if everyone else is willing to do so too.

Much easier to do when you are you're own investigations and prosecutions service and don't have to meet the thresholds of the Police or CPS. 

It is of course why Vennels, Van den Bogerd et al should be enjoying a decent stretch at his Majesty's. 

il Duce McTarkin
9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It is of course why Vennels, Van den Bogerd et al should be enjoying a decent stretch on the rack.

:greatpost:

WorldChampions1902
9 hours ago, RobboM said:

I cut my teeth on all those ICL specialties in the 80s.
The IDMSx database system was running a Scotland wide NHS database with around 6 million patient details. It could go wrong and end up with corrupt pointers within the data (an internal pointer not something at a programming level). I remember we set aside the weekend to run a database integrity check procedure to correct it. It was the weekend Scotland beat Sweden in the 1990 World Cup as we watched it on a wee portable TV in the computer hall. We closed the live system early on the friday afternoon to start and the folks in the computer hall loaded tape after tape through the night as it requested them. Took till Saturday night to complete the full set of tapes and it asked for the first tape again. So they loaded the first tape again and throughout Saturday and on to Sunday night it processed all the tapes till it completed the last one ..... and asked for the first tape again. We had to abandon it, reload a backup prior to any corruption and re-do weeks of work to catch back up. 
Still, 100% reliable technology eh?

Ahhhh……the good old Database Integrity Checks! I could tell you stories that would make your toes curl - especially those involving database restructures.

Look at the upside though. Those activities were very lucrative in terms of overtime, premium rate supplements and call out fees. Every cloud and all that.😉

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, kawasakijambo said:

Handing back CBE means nothing, the King must rescind it, do you think Chuckie boy will ever do that?

Never let this matter be forgotten.

What does handing back a CBE actually mean in the greater scheme of things? I would suggest absolutely nothing.

As i've said, anyone who was aware of the issue and its consequences and ignored it should be dealt with in the same way anyone else would be for failing to escalate the issue.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

What does handing back a CBE actually mean in the greater scheme of things? I would suggest absolutely nothing.

As i've said, anyone who was aware of the issue and its consequences and ignored it should be dealt with in the same way anyone else would be for failing to escalate the issue.

:spoton:

periodictabledancer

Even by the inquiry's own standards, the bombshells are dropping early today.

This is mind blowing revelations from Fujitu's own email/system records on duplicate entries on Horizon that impacted documents they submitted to the courts. 

Fujitsu knew & well understood the implications. 

Dawnrazor
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

But that's my point, and remember the times, that the PO would think that hundreds, of the thousands, of Post Masters were indeen stealing money, because the multimillion pound brand new computer system said so, what happened subsequently is absolutely beyond the pale and obviously everyone involved should be brought to book.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Footballfirst

I've been listening to the Select Committee hearing this morning so will pick up the inquiry on catch up later on Youtube.

Paul Paterson, a Fujitsu director, has admitted that they knew about bugs, errors and defects and they played a part in the prosecution of sub postmasters. He also thinks that Fujitsu should contribute to the compensation fund, but is awaiting the inquiry outcome.

Nick Read, the POL CEO .......  I only started in 2019 .........

Wait for the inquiry blah blah blah........

I can't answer what happened before I joined the organisation in 2015 ......

He sounds like another Paula Vennells.

Edited by Footballfirst

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I've been listening to the Select Committee hearing this morning so will pick up the inquiry on catch up later on Youtube.

Paul Paterson, a Fujitsu director, has admitted that they knew about bugs, errors and defects and they played a part in the prosecution of sub postmasters. He also thinks that Fujitsu should contribute to the compensation fund, but is awaiting the inquiry outcome.

Nick Read, the POL CEO .......  I only started in 2019 .........

Wait for the inquiry blah blah blah........

I can't answer what happened before I joined the organisation in 2015 ......

As with all these con-men, he is frightfully posh. I'm willing to bet private education has contributed the most amount of criminals in the UK.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

As with all these con-men, he is frightfully posh. I'm willing to bet private education has contributed the most amount of criminals in the UK.

And one of these executive types who rarely stay in the same place for more than a couple of years. Flighty ****, basically.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And one of these executive types who rarely stay in the same place for more than a couple of years. Flighty ****, basically.

Correct, generally boost the share price (ETA) make loads of redundancies, receive a huge bonus, then move on to the next company and repeat.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

WorldChampions1902

Fujitsu’s compensation bill is increasing with every minute of Paul Patterson’s testimony.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Correct, generally boost the share price (ETA) make loads of redundancies, receive a huge bonus, then move on to the next company and repeat.

Yep, keep the shareholders happy and move on.

SectionDJambo

The lack of real information that these 2 men have to hand, or are admitting to have to hand, is staggering. It’s just „nothing to do with me, guv, I only just started to work here“. 
This will result in a major financial hit for both companies and it’s inconceivable that they aren’t fully aware of timelines and numbers. If it’s true that they are so unaware of the potential damage to their companies, their company auditors should have severely qualified their annual accounts.

il Duce McTarkin
23 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep, keep the shareholders happy and move on.

Company that I worked for a few years ago, the CEO signed off on a 2.2bn takeover of a main competitor about 5 minutes before the arse fell out of the market. ^*** was pensioned off with a 3 million euro golden handshake for all of his hard work and commitment. Next short-term shit-kicker comes in, reduces overheads by laying of hundreds of staff leaving key field assets woefully under resourced. ****s off with 6 figure bonus. Next one comes in for total restructure of organisation and begins buying up competitors... and so on.

These charlatans are scooping fortunes for what appears to be abject failure, with investors losing eye-watering sums, yet on it goes. Some would call it criminality, others 'business'.

And so it goes on.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Company that I worked for a few years ago, the CEO signed off on a 2.2bn takeover of a main competitor about 5 minutes before the arse fell out of the market. ^*** was pensioned off with a 3 million euro golden handshake for all of his hard work and commitment. Next short-term shit-kicker comes in, reduces overheads by laying of hundreds of staff leaving key field assets woefully under resourced. ****s off with 6 figure bonus. Next one comes in for total restructure of organisation and begins buying up competitors... and so on.

These charlatans are scooping fortunes for what appears to be abject failure, with investors losing eye-watering sums, yet on it goes. Some would call it criminality, others 'business'.

And so it goes on.

It's sickening, and then the excuse is it's for your pension. I suppose it might be, if you live long enough.

Nookie Bear
13 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

It's sickening, and then the excuse is it's for your pension. I suppose it might be, if you live long enough.

That's always the line they trot out, isn't it.

Quite a few post masters will never have the chance to pick up their pensions due to these types.

11 hours ago, noskillson said:

Upper management received bonuses relating to profits, performance  and turnover.    Recovered monies were included in profit and it was in management interests to perpetuate this hoovering process.. they should repaying all these bonuses and prosecuted for fraud

It really looks to me like upper management didn't give a **** about it and just wanted their bonuses so did everything they could to ensure that.

They should be stripped of their wealth and thrown in jail. They should be made to wash with freezing cold water and do shits with no toilet paper. Treat them as scum because that's how they treated the victims while laughing all the way to the bank. I would just love 5 mins with one of these *****, I really would.

But nothing will happen, they'll keep their money and it'll ultimately be the tax payer who sorts it all.

Victorian

The Post Office should be used as an example case of what can and should result from the type of individual and corporate corruption and criminality that went on.  This could be a great example of what will happen to people if they choose to follow a similar path.  

No mercy.  Full force of the law.  Even then it wont match the torture that was meted out to the innocent.

joondalupjambo

So are the options for any prosecution proving fraud and/or criminal actions resulting in financial gain?  Are those the two options or are there more?

If only these two nobody will get prosecuted easily.  

Footballfirst

I missed this story from a couple of days ago about who nominated Paula Vennells for a CBE.

Theresa May’s government pushed through a CBE for ex-Post Office CEO Paula Vennells even though concerns were raised on the honours committee due to the Horizon scandal.

Sir Ian Cheshire chaired the sub-committee that recommended Ms Vennells for the honour.

Ms Vennells was nominated by the Department for Business, according to sources. And her name was discussed by the main honours committee in October 2018, chaired by Sir Jonathan Stephens.

The then business secretary, Greg Clark, was not involved.

At least one member of the main honours committee questioned the decision to give Ms Vennells a CBE and referred to the increasing controversy about the Post Office’s mistreatment of subpostmasters.

They pointed out that Ms Vennells was still in her CEO role during the scandal.

Reportedly, Mr Cheshire "brushed aside" these concerns and Mr Stephens did not take them up.

Another source who knew of the exchange said that the responsibility for flagging concerns to committee members was for the "sponsoring department", the Department for Business in this instance.

Mr Cheshire denied he brushed those concerns, according to a source close to the man.

In 2019, Ms Vennells was named CBE in the New Year honour list.

In February of that year, she announced she was stepping down from her position at the Post Office and was appointed a non-executive director at the Cabinet Office.

Ms Vennells has now handed back her CBE.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I missed this story from a couple of days ago about who nominated Paula Vennells for a CBE.

Theresa May’s government pushed through a CBE for ex-Post Office CEO Paula Vennells even though concerns were raised on the honours committee due to the Horizon scandal.

Sir Ian Cheshire chaired the sub-committee that recommended Ms Vennells for the honour.

Ms Vennells was nominated by the Department for Business, according to sources. And her name was discussed by the main honours committee in October 2018, chaired by Sir Jonathan Stephens.

The then business secretary, Greg Clark, was not involved.

At least one member of the main honours committee questioned the decision to give Ms Vennells a CBE and referred to the increasing controversy about the Post Office’s mistreatment of subpostmasters.

They pointed out that Ms Vennells was still in her CEO role during the scandal.

Reportedly, Mr Cheshire "brushed aside" these concerns and Mr Stephens did not take them up.

Another source who knew of the exchange said that the responsibility for flagging concerns to committee members was for the "sponsoring department", the Department for Business in this instance.

Mr Cheshire denied he brushed those concerns, according to a source close to the man.

In 2019, Ms Vennells was named CBE in the New Year honour list.

In February of that year, she announced she was stepping down from her position at the Post Office and was appointed a non-executive director at the Cabinet Office.

Ms Vennells has now handed back her CBE.

Aye the Maybot has been trying to rehabilitate herself in parliament as a moderate or one of the 'good guys' but to her core she's a horrible shitehawk. 

il Duce McTarkin
38 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Aye the Maybot has been trying to rehabilitate herself in parliament as a moderate or one of the 'good guys' but to her core she's a horrible shitehawk. 

:spoton:

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I hate the *****, with a passion. She caused so much destruction with her hostile environment mantra. Fecked up my wife's life for years. Despise these people. 

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

So are the options for any prosecution proving fraud and/or criminal actions resulting in financial gain?  Are those the two options or are there more?

If only these two nobody will get prosecuted easily.  

It's not financial gain per se, more that "Investigators" were incentivised via prosecutions because PO believed they were reducing losses (they were, got the figures down by 75%) by seizing the assets from thieving postmasters. 

joondalupjambo
5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

It's not financial gain per se, more that "Investigators" were incentivised via prosecutions because PO believed they were reducing losses (they were, got the figures down by 75%) by seizing the assets from thieving postmasters. 

Ok understand.  Who set the incentives though? They could be included in contracts as standard clauses.  I worry this is going to be another one like the banks.  Nobody got prosecuted over that horrendous injustice.

Victorian

Dorothy Bain (Lord Advocate) was just gurgling complete nonsense in Holyrood.  Absolute abdication of blame that relies on the belief that the Post Office's legal cases and assurances should simply stand as fact and not be questioned.  

In the reality that should have been,  the Crown and Fiscal offices and systems should have become alive to the numbers and pattern of prosecutions.  They should have been proactive to investigate what should have been worrying and obvious.  

In addition,  there is a political will to immediately exonerate the innocent.  Dorothy Bain,  exercising her own individual legal opinion,  has no business in trying to thwart that process.  She should be quietly told to belt up.

Lone Striker
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Dorothy Bain (Lord Advocate) was just gurgling complete nonsense in Holyrood.  Absolute abdication of blame that relies on the belief that the Post Office's legal cases and assurances should simply stand as fact and not be questioned.  

In the reality that should have been,  the Crown and Fiscal offices and systems should have become alive to the numbers and pattern of prosecutions.  They should have been proactive to investigate what should have been worrying and obvious.  

In addition,  there is a political will to immediately exonerate the innocent.  Dorothy Bain,  exercising her own individual legal opinion,  has no business in trying to thwart that process.  She should be quietly told to belt up.

She probably does have the right (as Scotlands Lord Advocate) to "persuade" ScotGov not to go ahead with a  mass exoneration law, but I agree with you -  the level of pubic outrage  means she's very much in the minority by continuing to hold this view.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Another Tory donor and former Fujitsu Communications chair benefitting from government contracts (now with City Fibre).

https://democracyforsale.substack.com/p/tory-donor-fujitsu-post-office-horizon-contracts

Good find.  Most likely he's one  of many who reap enormous financial benefit from "boardroom surfing" between public and private companies operating in  the same sector.

I also watched this mornings MP Committtee grilling the 2 CEOs.   My main impression was that both were desperately "playing for time", relying on the fact that both were relatively new.   The PO guy claimed to have stopped any new prosecutions.  And both admitted that they'd have to contribute to the overall compensation fund, although no provision had been made in the last set of Annual Accounts from either company as evidence of that.

I watched the Inquiry after lunch when  John ("I don't recall") Scott was on the witness stand (PO Security Ops Manager). Some of the exhibits of emails and forms were quite astonishing, imo.  Especially the one that showed  "Ethnic Origin Codes" to be used when creating an "Offender Report" 😲     Quite impressed with that KC - he seemed to have Mr Scott on the defensive.

Missed the Fujitsu witness in the morning.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I watched the Inquiry after lunch when  John ("I don't recall") Scott was on the witness stand (PO Security Ops Manager). Some of the exhibits of emails and forms were quite astonishing, imo.  Especially the one that showed  "Ethnic Origin Codes" to be used when creating an "Offender Report" 😲     Quite impressed with that KC - he seemed to have Mr Scott on the defensive.

Missed the Fujitsu witness in the morning.

There was no afternoon session today. John Scott gave his evidence on 11 October.

If you were watching on the Youtube channel, it will sometimes autoplay other videos you may be interested in.

WorldChampions1902

Following the statement at today’s hearing from Paul Patterson (CEO Fujitsu UK), that the company has a moral responsibility to contribute to the PO compensation bill, the head of Fujitsu in Japan (ie the global corporation HQ), who is currently in Davos, has refused to commit to any compensation.

:facepalm:

periodictabledancer
41 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I'm not defending the use of these codes but I thought PO did explain quite clearly how they came into being. Back in the (really racist) day, when PO wanted acccess to the police national computer , the police required PO to use these codes (as did the police themselves) in order to do  searches. So while PO might be quite a bit behind the times (and as per, quite unthinking in their work) I don't think this is quite the thing some people at the enquiry thought it was. 

Lone Striker
47 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There was no afternoon session today. John Scott gave his evidence on 11 October.

If you were watching on the Youtube channel, it will sometimes autoplay other videos you may be interested in.

:facepalm:  oopps.    Instead of watching the YT livestream on my phone, I opted to watch the livestream on our smart TV ...........  either its not so  "smart", or more likely its me who's not so smart !!   :levein2:

Lone Striker
13 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I'm not defending the use of these codes but I thought PO did explain quite clearly how they came into being. Back in the (really racist) day, when PO wanted acccess to the police national computer , the police required PO to use these codes (as did the police themselves) in order to do  searches. So while PO might be quite a bit behind the times (and as per, quite unthinking in their work) I don't think this is quite the thing some people at the enquiry thought it was. 

The KC asked why the codes 1, 2, 3, etc were not the same ones the police use - since the purpose was to give stats on PO  prosecutions to the police retrospectively.  The witness agreed that it would have made more sense to use that actual codes the police used.

Padrone della casa
52 minutes ago, Ked said:

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/news-and-events/blogs-opinions/a-scottish-perspective-on-the-post-office-horizon-scandal/

The "why this has happened " .

Procurator Fiscal office doesn't look good.

What about the sheriffs who should have given not proven judgements based on lack of corroboration, or am I wrong.

Tommy Brown
10 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

And so it goes on.

Similar to all us Ferranti workers around 89/90. Signed up a merger with company that had basically **** all to their books.

£400m is a figure I recall.

Exact same chairman retired with a golden handshake £750k, while about 3000 of us in Edinburgh had to seek a new job.

Others on here will have closer figures, but you get the gist.

4 minutes ago, Padrone della casa said:

What about the sheriffs who should have given not proven judgements based on lack of corroboration, or am I wrong.

The sole witness being horizon.

The disclosure or lack of it.

Damning stuff.

Claims of being misled are laughable.

Footballfirst

Interesting testimony at the inquiry today from John Simpkins who works in Fujitsu's Software Support Centre (third line support).

He states that the much quoted and requested ARQ data was an incomplete record of events and that interrogation of the Message Store would have provided a better basis to establish what had gone wrong and whether to go ahead with criminal proceedings or not.

It appears that no-one from third line support was ever asked for their input to witness statements produced by Fujitsu for litigation purposes.

Footballfirst
12 hours ago, Ked said:

The sole witness being horizon.

The disclosure or lack of it.

Damning stuff.

Claims of being misled are laughable.

I'd expect that the corroboration of Horizon figures, as relied upon by the prosecutors, would be the testimony of Fujitsu experts (Gareth Jenkins et al) confirming that the system was working correctly at the relevant times.

Footballfirst

Here's the damning evidence of Fujitsu's remote access capability from a 2002 document.

First bullet point "Unrestricted and un-audited privileged access ......"

"support practices developed on a needs must basis ...... "

"no alternative"

The risks of fraud, error and data protection are recognised.

image.png.8104c01f8d3c0d8a63f841fafd9da82f.png

periodictabledancer
6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's the damning evidence of Fujitsu's remote access capability from a 2002 document.

First bullet point "Unrestricted and un-audited privileged access ......"

"support practices developed on a needs must basis ...... "

"no alternative"

The risks of fraud, error and data protection are recognised.

image.png.8104c01f8d3c0d8a63f841fafd9da82f.png

That first bullet point is hilaroius when seen against the testimony of the inquiry witness this afternoon who disputed that access was "unaudited" because they could check if anyone had accessed the Horizon system - Fujitsu just wouldn't know WHO had done it. 🤦‍♂️

Beer KC - "so,  unaudited then". 

periodictabledancer
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Interesting testimony at the inquiry today from John Simpkins who works in Fujitsu's Software Support Centre (third line support).

He states that the much quoted and requested ARQ data was an incomplete record of events and that interrogation of the Message Store would have provided a better basis to establish what had gone wrong and whether to go ahead with criminal proceedings or not.

It appears that no-one from third line support was ever asked for their input to witness statements produced by Fujitsu for litigation purposes.

Compounded by the next witness who ripped the coding to shreds and made recommendations that weren't followed up - because it was so expensive to do so. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

Footballfirst

This morning's Fujitsu witness, Peter (I can't recall) Sewell, was the manager of the team who provided witness statements to support POL prosecutions. If anything he is just as bad as the worst of the POL witnesses for selective memory loss, e.g. Jarnail Singh.

He claimed not to be involved in the formulation of witness statements, despite being the manager of what was a small team. He was also the change owner for a significant change to the audit process that he claimed little knowledge or involvement.

Towards the end of this morning's evidence he was presented with this damning email he sent re Lee Castleton.  He can't recall why he wrote it.

image.png.aef1592ecb58c7fc6e1bd3d40c78707e.png

Note: Fetters Lane was the location of the court building they were attending. If was historically the site of a number of hangings.

Edited by Footballfirst