• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i wish jj was my dad

• Gundermann

• JudyJudyJudy

• periodictabledancer

Ulysses
42 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I would say both can be arrogant and even sanctimonious. I believe both waffle incessantly, and you really have to listen to pick out the wheat from the chaff. If pushed I would say those on the left are a little more sanctimonious than those on the right, verging on being pious. With those on the right being a little more arrogant than those on the left, as they always believe they are in the right, as in the opposite of being wrong. 

Hope that makes sense.

It does.  I also think there's a bit of the "sing when you're losing" or "victim fetish" about both.  Only happy when they're complaining about bad life is, and quick to take offence at any slights, real or imagined.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

It does.  I also think there's a bit of the "sing when you're losing" or "victim fetish" about both.  Only happy when they're complaining about bad life is, and quick to take offence at any slights, real or imagined.

I would agree with you here.

Cranston
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Sounds extremely like the SNP when always, always complaining that everything wrong, is Westminster's fault. Almost always imaginary.

Ulysses
Just now, John Findlay said:

I would agree with you here.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that there isn't stuff to complain about, or stuff that needs to be fixed, and plenty of it.  But the fringes of the political spectrum seem to be unrelentingly negative.

John Findlay
Just now, Ulysses said:

By the way, I'm not suggesting that there isn't stuff to complain about, or stuff that needs to be fixed, and plenty of it.  But the fringes of the political spectrum seem to be unrelentingly negative.

There's always something to complain about. We Scots would frequently win the Gold medal at the Olympics if complaining was a sport.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Hang on a second? Does that mean you believe that the right spreads poison, but that it's OK for them to do that because they think the left are sanctimonious and arrogant?  

I'm asking because...  ...well, just asking.

That’s not even remotely what I’m saying :lol:

Ulysses

5 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That’s not even remotely what I’m saying :lol:

What are you saying, so?

10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s sad, really. The right would have so much less traction and so much less scope to spread poison if so many on the left weren’t such sanctimonious, arrogant arseholes.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

What are you saying, so?

I’m not saying it’s ok for the right to spread poison. Quite the opposite. But some people are being driven to siding with those divs by the way in which the left insist on telling you what you can think, what you can do and how things have to be (all based on their own attitudes, which in short we’re all obliged to mirror).

To a point, the left are often correct but more and more, they go too far. The trans debate is a prime example of that. Owen Jones is an even better one - I believe this, therefore so should everyone else. Even though his life experience is **** all.

I’m happier and happier being a bit of a centrist. The middle ground is at least fairly rationale. Not much else seems to be.

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m not saying it’s ok for the right to spread poison. Quite the opposite.

Understood.  Apologies, my phrasing was probably at fault there. I didn't mean that you think it's OK because of what the left does.  I meant that they think it's OK because of what the left does.

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But some people are being driven to siding with those divs by the way in which the left insist on telling you what you can think, what you can do and how things have to be (all based on their own attitudes, which in short we’re all obliged to mirror).

To a point, the left are often correct but more and more, they go too far. The trans debate is a prime example of that. Owen Jones is an even better one - I believe this, therefore so should everyone else. Even though his life experience is **** all.

I get what you're saying.  However, a lot of people of a lefty persuasion would claim that they don't actually expect everyone else to think what they think.  They'd say that the problem is that the right spreads poison, and that they it's OK for the left to carry on the way they do because they're responding to the poison spread by the right. 

And when they say that, they point to various right-wing versions of Owen Jones as examples of "the other side's" ability to be sanctimonious and arrogant. 

I'm not saying they should behave like that, but I'm saying that they think they should.  

Like John Findlay above, I'd have to say that the two extremes seem a lot like each other. 

Both extremes seem to think that freedom of expression means freedom to say what they already agree with.  And both blame their bad behaviour on "them on the other side".  I'd say they're wrong on both counts, and political life would be a lot better if they were a lot less visible and audible.  But where's the profit in that? ;)

Gundermann
Posted (edited)

Mr Tice told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the Tories had "a bunch of sexual weirdos permeating", later clarifying he was referring to last week's Westminster honeytrap scandal.

He added: "I'm not taking lessons from the Tory Party that's got a bunch of sexual weirdos permeating, defending the indefensible which is inexcusable. We know the Labour party is still unfortunately riddled with antisemitism."

😄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68759727

Edited by Gundermann

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Just nuts!

"We deliberately put candidates out into the public domain early," Mr Tice said, arguing it was "good that actually we are opening our candidates to open scrutiny from other people".

In other words: we'll put any old Tom, Dick or Harry forward as a parliamentary candidate and if they get caught out by the media as being wrong 'uns then, so what? We'll just try another and another and another until we come across one who doesn't get caught out for being a wrong 'un. 

Gundermann
47 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Just nuts!

"We deliberately put candidates out into the public domain early," Mr Tice said, arguing it was "good that actually we are opening our candidates to open scrutiny from other people".

In other words: we'll put any old Tom, Dick or Harry forward as a parliamentary candidate and if they get caught out by the media as being wrong 'uns then, so what? We'll just try another and another and another until we come across one who doesn't get caught out for being a wrong 'un. 

😄

Reminds me of the Terry Butcher quote at Hibs about 'losing the first goal being a good thing as it removes the fear of losing the first goal'. Genius!

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Just nuts!

Maybe the solution is to try and avoid appealing to the sort of base who think and say such things in the first place? 

The Mighty Thor
55 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Maybe the solution is to try and avoid appealing to the sort of base who think and say such things in the first place? 

Isn't it bizarre just how utter wrong uns are attracted to these right wing parties. 

ToadKiller Dog

Redundancies on the way at Gbeebies as major Funder Paul Marshall leaving the Gbeebies board .

Tories finally worked out these batshit channels harm them more than help them ?

i wish jj was my dad
30 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Redundancies on the way at Gbeebies as major Funder Paul Marshall leaving the Gbeebies board .

Tories finally worked out these batshit channels harm them more than help them ?

Or just go online and rely on bots to do even more of the screeching to reduce the cost.  While even Marshall and his likes will have limits to the amount they are prepared to piss up a wall, they will always have have an audience of dafties and baddies with cheaper platforms to spread their shite at a fraction of the cost. 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Or just go online and rely on bots to do even more of the screeching to reduce the cost.  While even Marshall and his likes will have limits to the amount they are prepared to piss up a wall, they will always have have an audience of dafties and baddies with cheaper platforms to spread their shite at a fraction of the cost. 

It's certainly cost effective as there's plenty of halfwits who swallow their unleavened shit whole then infest Twitter and forums amplifying it. 

Gundermann

Not just swivel-eyed but tinpot too.

:gok:

Screenshot_20240412_074151_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.eb6770e94f99325f4e38ac7811f933f3.jpg

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's certainly cost effective as there's plenty of halfwits who swallow their unleavened shit whole then infest Twitter and forums amplifying it. 

True, but same goes for any party, mind. 

i wish jj was my dad
33 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

True, but same goes for any party, mind. 

I think Geebeebies and the money behind it is more an ideology rather than a party tbf. It's laughable they are allowed to broadcast. 

doctor jambo
On 08/04/2024 at 11:44, Ulysses said:

Understood.  Apologies, my phrasing was probably at fault there. I didn't mean that you think it's OK because of what the left does.  I meant that they think it's OK because of what the left does.

I get what you're saying.  However, a lot of people of a lefty persuasion would claim that they don't actually expect everyone else to think what they think.  They'd say that the problem is that the right spreads poison, and that they it's OK for the left to carry on the way they do because they're responding to the poison spread by the right. 

And when they say that, they point to various right-wing versions of Owen Jones as examples of "the other side's" ability to be sanctimonious and arrogant. 

I'm not saying they should behave like that, but I'm saying that they think they should.  

Like John Findlay above, I'd have to say that the two extremes seem a lot like each other. 

Both extremes seem to think that freedom of expression means freedom to say what they already agree with.  And both blame their bad behaviour on "them on the other side".  I'd say they're wrong on both counts, and political life would be a lot better if they were a lot less visible and audible.  But where's the profit in that? ;)

Agreed. Both sides are as bad as each other.

Both sides control parts of the media to push their narrative

Both sides want rid of the BBC , which, to me looks like an indicator that the BBC is pretty much on track.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Gizmo said:

He is going to end up living in a cardboard box drinking meth at the rate at which he is paying out damages. 

Sounds like a step up.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sounds like a step up.

He really did not take the divorce from the delightful Miss Piper well. 

16 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sounds like a step up.

Shame his  dad is a decent guy . Dunno what happened to him . 

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

He is going to end up living in a cardboard box drinking meth at the rate at which he is paying out damages. 

Back at GBeebies again then?

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Nah, he's an independent type of chap.  He'll get the tools out and get grafting.  Plenty of jobs out there if you are willing to work for a living.  He'll take full responsibility for his actions and pay his debts off his own sweat. 

15 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Nah, he's an independent type of chap.  He'll get the tools out and get grifting.  Plenty of jobs out there if you are willing to work for a living.  He'll take full responsibility for his actions and pay his debts off his own sweat. 

FTFY.