Saudi league

vegas-voss

How long until we hear moans from Europe's elite league especially the EPL.

5 , 10 or 15 years maybe even less if it goes at this rate.All a laugh and a joke just now but these ****ers will be looking to be the number 1 league in the world soon.A super league without Europe.

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Doubt it.

They can have a good league but there only 4 clubs spending big money. 

Just now 

LarrysRightFoot
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Not every one wants to live there . I know I would not 

Rumour is Messi’s wife didn’t want to go and that’s why he’s ended up in Miami 

gordon simpson
19 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

How long until we hear moans from Europe's elite league especially the EPL.

5 , 10 or 15 years maybe even less if it goes at this rate.All a laugh and a joke just now but these ****ers will be looking to be the number 1 league in the world soon.A super league without Europe.

they own a few major european clubs also ,will not be long before they make elite league 

I think it’s far more likely that the Middle East owners of EPL clubs have a grand and not too distant plan to buy 3-4 more and form a breakaway, composed mainly of UK based clubs. The whole deck of cards would fall. Sky TV would be isolated and marginalised and Some non Arab owned clubs would fall over themselves to join it, perhaps even 2 Scottish clubs would throw their tattered hats in the ring. 🤪

Edited by JimmyCant

13 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Rumour is Messi’s wife didn’t want to go and that’s why he’s ended up in Miami 

Do not blame her . I think it is just like the American League tbh . Good retirement option when you are no longer up to it at the highest level any more . Do two or three seasons and make a mint before hanging up the boots 

Women are restricted in what they can do in Saudi Arabia. So it will be a factor for some players. A lot of players won't take their families.

Saudi Arabia could of course become normal.

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Just another Chinese super League... Give it a few years and it will be dead

Wouldnt be so sure about that.  They have money/oil to burn.

kingantti1874

It not going to take over from the EPL . A retirement home for has beens and mercenaries.  

no fans and no interest 

maroonsgotop

Ruben Neves: Wolves captain set to join Saudi Arabia's Al Hilal in £47m deal

By Simon StoneBBC Sport

Last updated on

Wolves have agreed a 55m euro (£47m) deal to sell captain Ruben Neves to Saudi Arabia's Al Hilal.

The 26-year-old Portuguese midfielder Neves had a year left on his contract.

He said at the end of last season he was ambitious amid interest from Barcelona.

However, Barca have not been able to come up with an acceptable offer and Neves has taken the option of becoming the latest big-name player to join the Saudi league.

Karim Benzema completed a free transfer to Al Ittihad this month and Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante is linked with joining him, while Cristiano Ronaldo moved to Al Nassr in December.

Wolves regard it as excellent business at a time where they are trying to generate funds for manager Julen Lopetegui to strengthen his squad.

Neves has been central to their success since joining from Porto in 2017.

He helped them win the Championship a year later and then to two consecutive seventh-placed finishes in the Premier League.

The club also reached the Europa League quarter-finals in 2020 - where they were knocked out by Lopetegui's Sevilla - but have struggled to replicate that success and finished 13th last season having been bottom at Christmas.

Neves has made 253 appearances for Wolves in all competitions, scoring 30 goals

maroonsgotop

Saudi's have takem over golf, apparently about to take over the IPL in cricket and no doubt see football as the crown jewells to target. I can see them making big inroads which if they succeed will no doubt see the Super League for the small group of elite clubs re-emerge in the never ending pursuit of even more cash

27 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Correct. 

I work in an industry where I could conceivably go to Saudi and make a hell of a lot of money but would not do it. Might suit certain footballers at certain stages of their career but absolutely no chance of it becoming a league to rival the top countries.

Saudi money overwhelming football, however…

Edited by Peebo

kingantti1874
Just now, maroonsgotop said:

Saudi's have takem over golf, apparently about to take over the IPL in cricket and no doubt see football as the crown jewells to target. I can see them making big inroads which if they succeed will no doubt see the Super League for the small group of elite clubs re-emerge in the never ending pursuit of even more cash

Liv was clearly failing so they basically bought the PGA.  They will invest  in football but there is no way the Saudi league becomes in any way relevant IMO.  50 degrees and no one will want to live there imo. 

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Liv was clearly failing so they basically bought the PGA.  They will invest  in football but there is no way the Saudi league becomes in any way relevant IMO.  50 degrees and no one will want to live there imo. 

👍🏻

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Women are restricted in what they can do in Saudi Arabia. So it will be a factor for some players. A lot of players won't take their families.

Saudi Arabia could of course become normal.

Made me chuckle, Mikey. 😄

Fat chance of it happening, mind.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, ScottieMac17 said:

exactly how I feel, one will get players and attention but still miss the point with a lot of things. Money will get players over but the best footballers got to where they are because they want to perform at the highest stage. Its why the Champions League holds so much sway over things, because players see that as the pinnacle so to win that is to achieve your ultimate goal and be the seen the greatest in the world. 

I dont doubt some surprise players will go to Saudi Arabia, for silly money. But the idea that this will break the hold of the top leagues in Europe and make Saudi league a new football super power is far fetched.

A lot of this is part of a big plan for Saudi Arabia to get the 2030 World Cup (they are already doing deals with FAs in Asia and Africa which will help them in votes, a Saudi League with lots of high profile players shows that there is already top level football there.)

I would say, with Reuben Neves, it would not surprise me if Wolves have pushing the player to move there, they have serious issues with FFP so need to balance books. I think we will see quite a few Premier leagues players go to Saudi Arabia as their clubs look to get rid of them for over the top money.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

exactly how I feel, one will get players and attention but still miss the point with a lot of things. Money will get players over but the best footballers got to where they are because they want to perform at the highest stage. Its why the Champions League holds so much sway over things, because players see that as the pinnacle so to win that is to achieve your ultimate goal and be the seen the greatest in the world. 

I dont doubt some surprise players will go to Saudi Arabia, for silly money. But the idea that this will break the hold of the top leagues in Europe and make Saudi league a new football super power is far fetched.

A lot of this is part of a big plan for Saudi Arabia to get the 2030 World Cup (they are already doing deals with FAs in Asia and Africa which will help them in votes, a Saudi League with lots of high profile players shows that there is already top level football there.)

I would say, with Reuben Neves, it would not surprise me if Wolves have pushing the player to move there, they have serious issues with FFP so need to balance books. I think we will see quite a few Premier leagues players go to Saudi Arabia as their clubs look to get rid of them for over the top money.

You wonder what deals are being done. Madrid cancelling Benzema's final year of contract. As you say that is a big boost for Chinese owned Wolves who as you say need to the money to meet FFP. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

2 Scottish clubs would throw their tattered hats in the ring. 🤪

Or even throw their tattered rings in the hat. 

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

You wonder what deals are being done. Madrid cancelling Benzema's final year of contract. As you say that is a big boost for Chinese owned Wolves who as you say need to the money to meet FFP. 

Yup, seen that 3 Chelsea players are reportedly in talks to go to Saudi (where question marks over funding of Chelsea's take over where Saudi Arabia may be a big funder towards Boehly.) Saudi get 3 bigger players, and help out Chelsea with massive FFP issues.

Saw a child today wearing (only kids wear football tops apparently) a top saying Ronaldo on it. It was his new Saudi team. 

Bizzare.

Let them spunk as much money as they want. 

If they think people are going to stop watching the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, etc, in favour of the Saudi Money League, they will be in for a shock. They might get a couple of years of interest for the big names, but it will die off quickly, and they'll be paying big money for people no one are watching. 

**** Saudi sportswashing. 

...Imagine if Scotland kept all our oil money for ourselves.... we could... 

:jj:

Just now, indianajones said:

Can safely say I'll never watch a Saudi football game in my life no matter who plays in the league. 

Snap. **** them and their bankrolling nonsense. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the saudi league getting champions league places.  It wouldn’t be too difficult for them to hand over bags full of cash to the right people…

Thunder and Lightning
13 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Stupid post on a number of levels. 

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if neves never plays a game in the saudi league and is instead loaned straight to a saudi backed Prem club.

Similar situation to us and Kaunas :lol:

6 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Stupid post on a number of levels. 

Good lord. 

How does one emphasise a tongue in cheek post if not with a tiny JJ emoji? 

27 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Green tail wagging the SNP dog now.  Oil & gas is bad.

2 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

Sure somebody told me they were going after the basketball as well.

5 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Good lord. 

How does one emphasise a tongue in cheek post if not with a tiny JJ emoji? 

Just your usual. He prefers the national debt in the the uk to the oil fund of Norway. It's their way.

21 minutes ago, R9. said:

I also wouldn’t mind Saudi money in Hearts and buy the league from the old firm 😂

Yeah I know i wouldnt mind either but then you have to look at where that money is coming from and look beyond that at the implications further down the track, which i think a few teams will be facing in the future, for example we might win a title or two but then we could get investigated and found to be financially doping the league and then get relegated or have our titles stripped etc.

Would much rather be run how we are now, mind you if a legitimate billionaire business did want to chuck a bit of cash in then by all means.

Gorgierools
12 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I think it’s far more likely that the Middle East owners of EPL clubs have a grand and not too distant plan to buy 3-4 more and form a breakaway, composed mainly of UK based clubs. The whole deck of cards would fall. Sky TV would be isolated and marginalised and Some non Arab owned clubs would fall over themselves to join it, perhaps even 2 Scottish clubs would throw their tattered hats in the ring. 🤪

Or more likely,their tattered rings into the hat.

13 hours ago, ScottieMac17 said:

13 hours ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Wouldnt be so sure about that.  They have money/oil to burn.

Pretty much what I was thinking, but the bottomless pot of cash does give it a bit more shelf life. Money will always talk at the end of the day but like China, surely players will quickly realise it's not what they really want. It's fine for players at the end of their career but for players in their prime like Neves, a couple of seasons in the Saudi league is going to be plenty. Then the problem with moving on is who's going to pay over the odds for a player who's played in a genuine farmers league.

As an aside, I've long thought that it won't be long before we see a 'World' Champions League. The Club World Cup expansion hasn't ever really taken off or been finalised and with the new format coming to the UCL next season, UEFA will then be looking ahead to how they can 'improve' it going forward. I genuinely believe part of that will be inviting Asian and South American clubs, among others, to participate in the Champions League.

The Hogfather

Nobodies going to the Middle East to play football for any reason other than bags of cash. Signing all these players isn’t going to drastically improve the standard over there because this is just going to be a paid holiday for them. 

Some really pathetic Saudi League jokes, feel free to add :)

Kurt Zouma has signed a 2 year deal with Al-Kikyoorkat

Ivan Toney has signed a 3 year deal with Al-Betagainstya

59 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Some really pathetic Saudi League jokes, feel free to add :)

Kurt Zouma has signed a 2 year deal with Al-Kikyoorkat

Ivan Toney has signed a 3 year deal with Al-Betagainstya

Forgetting the big one.

Armageddon signing a 3 year deal with Al-Getmecoat

Thunder and Lightning
9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just your usual. He prefers the national debt in the the uk to the oil fund of Norway. It's their way.

Can you show me where i have ever stated that?

Or are you a few cans in as normal?

Echoes of the NASL in the US during the 70s and early 80s. Pele, Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer all went there at the end of their careers. If the Yanks couldn’t make it work neither will the Saudis.

Japan Jambo
57 minutes ago, westbow said:

Echoes of the NASL in the US during the 70s and early 80s. Pele, Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer all went there at the end of their careers. If the Yanks couldn’t make it work neither will the Saudis.

The Saudi's I know aren't best pleased about Qatar getting a world cup ahead of them and want to project themselves on the big stage too, all part of a bigger picture.

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

The Saudi's I know aren't best pleased about Qatar getting a world cup ahead of them and want to project themselves on the big stage too, all part of a bigger picture.

Its clear that is what the Saudis want and every project is geared towards this (as well as a few other reasons.) By FIFAs past comments there should be two world cups in the same regions in the space of 8 years, but I just dont trust FIFA and the delegates not to give it to the Saudis. 

Thunder and Lightning
20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Still waiting on you showing a post of mine that says anything like that. 

Or are you unable to focus by now? 

One thing in the Saudi leagues favour. 

I watched Martin Boyle's first game there and he got booked for diving trying to win a penalty.