Time for another rethink?

Rudy T

gorgierulesapply88
5 hours ago, jbee647 said:

You make many good points, but as a Hearts fan you only have to read this forum to realise there is absolutely no chance our fan base will be patient with inconsistency until things “might “ improve 

At a club like Hearts with our fan base there is absolutely no appetite for long  term planing or projects.

Results are everything and 99% of the fan base want the strongest team we can afford on the park at all times

Anything else is just a fantasy 

The project was under levein. The 5 year plan.

It's done.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Bazzas right boot

• Carter

• JamboAl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

And yet you and others constantly hounded out the only manager to deliver 3rd place finishes in the last 10 years.

You cannae make it up sometimes. 

You've missed the point spectacularly, yet again. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Some of them seem to be trapped in a time warp where they think it's still the 90's. 

One poster in particular goes on incessantly about lack of b2b 3rd place finishes. This club has been varying shades of a basket case financially from 70's until 2014. Budge and Levein then somehow contrived to do the impossible and take a club with a clean bill of health financially back into the Championship. 

I suspect his infatuation for Levein is only surpassed by his enduring love for Bob.

4 hours ago, Valois No1 said:

With a wage bill several 100%s more than most clubs in the league, its criminal we don't win almost every game out with the OF and Aberdeen and even the scum (both have similar budgets). Any style should win against Livi and co and I certainly don't have the patience to watch us getting beat off these teams regularly whilst our players pick up 1000's more a week than they do. We have become way to soft as a club. Blood doesn't show on a maroon jersey should be the first message we tell new players. HHGH

I always thought this idea about finding the right characters meant we tended to sign "nice" players who didn't have much dig about them.

Naismith is the obvious exception.

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Because the defensive issues won't be fixed untill the transfer window.

He's pissing with the same cock as Bob.

Talking of cocks🤔

3 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Talking of cocks🤔

Poster you responded to does know that Neilson signed every player in this squad bar Boyce, Smith & Haring, right? 

I'm genuinely not sure if he's a WUM or deadly serious. 

Go for it 1308
5 minutes ago, Carter said:

Poster you responded to does know that Neilson signed every player in this squad bar Boyce, Smith & Haring, right? 

I'm genuinely not sure if he's a WUM or deadly serious. 

I just don't get him at all...I really don't. He's constantly at the wind up....or is he really serious? 😳 

2 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

I just don't get him at all...I really don't. He's constantly at the wind up....or is he really serious? 😳 

Certainly exhibits behaviour you don't witness every day in life that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I think our identity is a lot clearer. Front foot, higher intensity and press high where possible. 

Later stages under Neilson I don’t really know what we were trying to do. It was passive at best. 

Fair enough mate. St mirren game seemed consistent with what we’ve been like away from home all season - very poor. Naismith shouldn’t be judged harshly on his 7 games this season. But the clear turnaround in form that we were gambling on hasn’t happened… yet. 

skinnybob72

The two questions to consider for this season are

1 How many games have we won that we weren’t expected to?

2 How many games have we lost that we weren’t expected to? 

Clearly we could all have a different view of which games are which but we’ve not so much as looked like getting a point from the uglies and we lost every European game when faced with a half decent side. 

On the other hand we have lost at home to Killie and St Mirren and have only just avoided defeat with late goals against other heavyweights such as Livi and Dundee Utd.

We need to stop punching below our weight - that would be a start.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

But we're not 3rd just now.  We can certainly aim for 3rd and achieve it but creating a gap is not within our power.

Of course it is with the right investment players and management 

32 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Clearly we could all have a different view of which games are which but we’ve not so much as looked like getting a point from the uglies and we lost every European game when faced with a half decent side. 

On the other hand we have lost at home to Killie and St Mirren and have only just avoided defeat with late goals against other heavyweights such as Livi and Dundee Utd.

I don't think we've won a single game all season that we wouldn't have expected to have won. Certainly lost several where we would've expected to take something. 

Our performances in most games against better quality opposition was largely pathetic. Often behind inside opening 10 minutes and extremely passive in approach.

9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Of course it is with the right investment players and management 

Not necessarily.

We can control what we do but not what other clubs do and they could trump us with more/better investment.

24 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

This for me plays into my belief that we are buying players but not coaching just managing them and there’s a huge difference. Our defence is shambolic whenever a high ball or cross comes anywhere near us, I cannot understand how players of the calibre we have at their age cannot be drilled to get their nut on the ball. Or get full backs to defend properly to limit the crosses into the box. We’re talking basics here.

This is the reason so many poorer sides are getting the better of us or at least making a close contest, you don’t need much talent to launch balls into the opposition half and get a couple of big units in and around our CB’s. 

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Was the B team doing that well under him and his style?

Not sure why that’s relevant? The fact remains that the club aren’t joined up through the age groups to the first team. For me that’s Savages job to fix makes no odds who the manager is or who’s style is better.

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, pointon said:

We need a five year plan

There's a novel idea.  :cornette_dog:

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not necessarily.

We can control what we do but not what other clubs do and they could trump us with more/better investment.

This is Scotland, a tiny footballing country.  We should already be ahead of them and moving further away from them. The investment levels in our club, if continued , will see us achieve that gap. 

15 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

This for me plays into my belief that we are buying players but not coaching just managing them and there’s a huge difference. Our defence is shambolic whenever a high ball or cross comes anywhere near us, I cannot understand how players of the calibre we have at their age cannot be drilled to get their nut on the ball. Or get full backs to defend properly to limit the crosses into the box. We’re talking basics here.

This is the reason so many poorer sides are getting the better of us or at least making a close contest, you don’t need much talent to launch balls into the opposition half and get a couple of big units in and around our CB’s. 

Heading of the ball is a tough one these days with the dementia issue getting bigger and bigger.  I’d find it easy to accept that any players who haven’t got the knack of using their heads won’t want to get into it on a daily basis at training. Rowles clearly came from a league where the ball is mostly played on the ground. Hence his ability in the air is poor.  McCulloch couldn’t believe we signed a centre-back who ‘cannae heid the ba’. Not sure what Sibbicks issue is given his height. Doesn’t fit with Scottish football requirements as we have seen. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Heading of the ball is a tough one these days with the dementia issue getting bigger and bigger.  I’d find it easy to accept that any players who haven’t got the knack of using their heads won’t want to get into it on a daily basis at training. Rowles clearly came from a league where the ball is mostly played on the ground. Hence his ability in the air is poor.  McCulloch couldn’t believe we signed a centre-back who ‘cannae heid the ba’. Not sure what Sibbicks issue is given his height. Doesn’t fit with Scottish football requirements as we have seen. 

It’s not even just the act of heading it, our positioning is awful, marking non existent at times and no one takes responsibility. Unfortunately our game requires a degree of heading ability so if we can at least get them to do the basics we might not concede so many chances. 

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

It’s not even just the act of heading it, our positioning is awful, marking non existent at times and no one takes responsibility. Unfortunately our game requires a degree of heading ability so if we can at least get them to do the basics we might not concede so many chances. 

Agreed though defending is an art and not sure it’s not a case of you have it or you don’t  

Edited by soonbe110

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

It might hinder us initially but I’d ban all loan deals except those with an option to buy. The other question is do we go down the data driven route that has worked so well for other clubs? Do we have the profile or funds available to make it work? 

The noises from the club have been that academy players must have a pathway to the first team and this simply hasn’t been happening. Maybe that’s why Naismith might be the preferred candidate. 

Naismith highlighted after the match that the players didn’t follow instructions and this was more than obvious at times under Neilson. We seem to sign nice players but it’s about time we signed some right utter *****. Those with real drive and passion. 

We seem completely lost in styles of football. We play a possession game with statistics so impressive I’ve barely seen whilst watching Hearts but we’re so ineffective most times it’s frustrating to watch. 

Agreed. 👍 Seems to me that the board saw what we were seeing and decided that a change of direction/plan was needed, since RN was clearly struggling to get the team out of the rut.  Naismith is a totally different character, and Savage probably saw enough improvement in the young lads he's been coaching (WIlson, McLuckie, Tait etc) to take a chance on him ,making an impact on the first team where Robbie wasn't.    

Whether the board think Naismith is a serious candidate for becoming the permanent manager is open to question, since I'm pretty sure they'll be scouring other potential options right now.

4 hours ago, Carter said:

Correct. Pointing out this reality doesn't appear to sit well with some of our support. 

Hearts have largely served up a pile of shite away from home for the past 20 years or so. We've convinced ourselves that Perth and Paisley etc are really hard places to go and win. 

A club of our scale in this domestic environment should be sitting with far more than 49 points from 35 games. 

Absolutely right 👍    It really bugs me when Hearts managers talk about sh1tholes like Paisley, Motherwell or Kilmarnock as "difficult places to go" - its basically making an excuse for the players to hide under  before a ball's even  been kicked.    I don't recall George Burley coming out with nonsense like that.

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

This is Scotland, a tiny footballing country.  We should already be ahead of them and moving further away from them. The investment levels in our club, if continued , will see us achieve that gap. 

I hadn't realised that.  Thanks for your incisive information.

The investment levels in our club should have ensured that we'd finish third THIS season and you have no way of knowing what funds other clubs might have in the future.

4 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

It might hinder us initially but I’d ban all loan deals except those with an option to buy. The other question is do we go down the data driven route that has worked so well for other clubs? Do we have the profile or funds available to make it work? 

The noises from the club have been that academy players must have a pathway to the first team and this simply hasn’t been happening. Maybe that’s why Naismith might be the preferred candidate. 

Naismith highlighted after the match that the players didn’t follow instructions and this was more than obvious at times under Neilson. We seem to sign nice players but it’s about time we signed some right utter *****. Those with real drive and passion. 

We seem completely lost in styles of football. We play a possession game with statistics so impressive I’ve barely seen whilst watching Hearts but we’re so ineffective most times it’s frustrating to watch. 

We have been on the data driven recruitment methodology since Savage arrived. We have analysts working for us who report to the  head of recruitment - can’t remember his name. Not convinced it’s working unless there’s also a lot of work goes into whether a players character also fits in the dressing room. We have signed players that the manager didn’t want based on stats, Hill being one of them. 

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Agreed. 👍 Seems to me that the board saw what we were seeing and decided that a change of direction/plan was needed, since RN was clearly struggling to get the team out of the rut.  Naismith is a totally different character, and Savage probably saw enough improvement in the young lads he's been coaching (WIlson, McLuckie, Tait etc) to take a chance on him ,making an impact on the first team where Robbie wasn't.    

Whether the board think Naismith is a serious candidate for becoming the permanent manager is open to question, since I'm pretty sure they'll be scouring other potential options right now.

Absolutely right 👍    It really bugs me when Hearts managers talk about sh1tholes like Paisley, Motherwell or Kilmarnock as "difficult places to go" - its basically making an excuse for the players to hide under  before a ball's even  been kicked.    I don't recall George Burley coming out with nonsense like that.

Hearts are a big club in Scotland. I don't think we project that as much as we should. 

We should be going to these places expecting to win and exuding the confidence and believe that we will. It's a mentality thing I believe. 

Just now, JamboAl said:

I hadn't realised that.  Thanks for your incisive information.

The investment levels in our club should have ensured that we'd finish third THIS season and you have no way of knowing what funds other clubs might have in the future.

Correct but based on the last 100+ years evidence not much more than us, probably less. 

Just now, Carter said:

Hearts are a big club in Scotland. I don't think we project that as much as we should. 

We should be going to these places expecting to win and exuding the confidence and believe that we will. It's a mentality thing I believe. 

Has to be. The start against Celtic and Ross County was in stark contrast to the way we started on Saturday and at Pittodrie. It’s baffling. Ok, I get that the home team always performs better because they are in familiar environment, they have more fans than at an away game but that still doesn’t explain why we don’t go out and just dominate at places like Paisley, Perth, Livingston etc.  similar to the way Liverpool, Arsenal, City, United typically do at Soton, Bournemouth, Forest etc. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Correct but based on the last 100+ years evidence not much more than us, probably less. 

Ah well, that justifies everything.

I might add he has no experience of Scottish football which, although not an essential requirement, goes a long way.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Ah well, that justifies everything.

I might add he has no experience of Scottish football which, although not an essential requirement, goes a long way.

Sorry, you have lost me. 

Just now, JamboAl said:

I think you lost yourself a post or two ago.

😂😂😂😂maybe, but maybe not.  We were talking about investment levels - who is the ‘he’ you mentioned? 

17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed though defending is an art and not sure it’s not a case of you have it or you don’t  

You can certainly coach a back 4 or 5 to work together, have them pick up a man at set pieces and go with runners. That in this league would most certainly prevent a large amount of the chances we’re giving up. From open play again, don’t get pulled out of position, clearly communicate with each other inc. the midfield and most importantly everyone does their own job first and foremost.

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

😂😂😂😂maybe, but maybe not.  We were talking about investment levels - who is the ‘he’ you mentioned? 

The he was part of a post which actually related to another thread.  I apologise for the error and subsequent confusion.

To get back to the original point at issue we can aim for 3rd but if some hitherto unknown investor (like Romanov did) comes along and pumps big money into say Dundee Utd we could come unstuck.  We have no control over what happens elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

You can certainly coach a back 4 or 5 to work together, have them pick up a man at set pieces and go with runners. That in this league would most certainly prevent a large amount of the chances we’re giving up. From open play again, don’t get pulled out of position, clearly communicate with each other inc. the midfield and most importantly everyone does their own job first and foremost.

Agreed, but even picking up a man at set pieces if you are not prepared to get your head to the ball first then it’s not great.  Yes, poor man marking at their first goal on Saturday, hard to work out who was on Main or Shaughnessy, but too many times we lose the header 30/40 yards from goal and don’t react to the second phase.  We rarely win clearing headers in our own box and since Halketts injury we certainly don’t look like scoring from set pieces in the opposition box.  We don’t have a natural and committed headerer (if that’s a word) of the ball in our defence other than possibly Hill, but not convinced.  Sibbick, Rowles, Kingsley, Cochrane, even Neilson struggle in the air. 

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The he was part of a post which actually related to another thread.  I apologise for the error and subsequent confusion.

To get back to the original point at issue we can aim for 3rd but if some hitherto unknown investor (like Romanov did) comes along and pumps big money into say Dundee Utd we could come unstuck.  We have no control over what happens elsewhere.

No problem, thought I was losing it😂😂 probably was.  
Agreed re investment but I doubt we will ever see Romanov style investment again in Scottish football. Even Rangers can’t attract it. Celtic might find some if Desmond etc decide to sell but even then I doubt it because there’s no real return on the investment. 

30 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Has to be. The start against Celtic and Ross County was in stark contrast to the way we started on Saturday and at Pittodrie. It’s baffling. Ok, I get that the home team always performs better because they are in familiar environment, they have more fans than at an away game but that still doesn’t explain why we don’t go out and just dominate at places like Paisley, Perth, Livingston etc.  similar to the way Liverpool, Arsenal, City, United typically do at Soton, Bournemouth, Forest etc. 

Some people will see it as arrogance. But we should be winning at these venues more often than not. I know that we have seemingly endless misery against the gruesome but 49 points from a possible 105 against some of the utter dross in this league is way below expectation. 

A good Hearts side should be looking at high 60's towards 70 points in a 38 game season. We're way short of that. 

Ronald Villiers
29 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It's something that's always baffled me aswell with our away form. It's 11 v 11 at the end of the day.  OK, the pitch dimensions and surroundings are different but it's still 11 v 11.  Players should be going out pumped up and focused on the match, not bothering about surroundings etc.  Neilson would have us playing decent at Tynie one week, then we'd be utterly hopeless away the following week due to piss poor tactics.  Hopefully this gets sorted soon.

6 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

It's something that's always baffled me aswell with our away form. It's 11 v 11 at the end of the day.  OK, the pitch dimensions and surroundings are different but it's still 11 v 11.  Players should be going out pumped up and focused on the match, not bothering about surroundings etc.  Neilson would have us playing decent at Tynie one week, then we'd be utterly hopeless away the following week due to piss poor tactics.  Hopefully this gets sorted soon.

We have a collection of soft players and for a very long time, soft manager.

They're fine at home but as soon as you leave Gorgie the desire to win evaporates.  We leave the dressing room looking to not lose instead of winning, invariably ends up being negative football.

Don't think we need a massive overhaul in the summer, simply need a spine of players who have the combination of skill and desire - hard to find at our level but Paterson would be a start.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Its beyond shambolic and was allowed to continue past the Jan transfer window.

No confidence in our actual strategy for recruitment. We seem to just be focusing on projects rather than teambuilding.

Spending large sums from a stat sheet? Still cant get my head round that circus.

4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I agree. He was dealt a ****ing terrible hand but anyone to suggest Naismith who is now in charge is "blameless" for the piss poor shite in three out his first four games is not being realistic imo.

I get he has had it tough but he clearly is not blameless for the past 4 games. We praised him for the Ross County game so surely he carries some of the can for Hibs, Celtic and St Mirren.

I know it all stems from Budge, her weegie yes men, Neilson and his two Stoogies though.

Edited by i8hibsh

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
11 hours ago, jbee647 said:

You make many good points, but as a Hearts fan you only have to read this forum to realise there is absolutely no chance our fan base will be patient with inconsistency until things “might “ improve 

At a club like Hearts with our fan base there is absolutely no appetite for long  term planing or projects.

Results are everything and 99% of the fan base want the strongest team we can afford on the park at all times

Anything else is just a fantasy 

True. The time for rethinks and experiments is over. 

Next season absolutely cannot be a long term project type building season. 

The right management team needs to be in place and the right players need to be signed. 

End of story. 

Ronald Villiers
8 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

We have a collection of soft players and for a very long time, soft manager.

They're fine at home but as soon as you leave Gorgie the desire to win evaporates.  We leave the dressing room looking to not lose instead of winning, invariably ends up being negative football.

Don't think we need a massive overhaul in the summer, simply need a spine of players who have the combination of skill and desire - hard to find at our level but Paterson would be a start.

Agree mate.  

Jim Panzee
8 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I agree. He was dealt a ****ing terrible hand but anyone to suggest Naismith who is now in charge is "blameless" for the piss poor shite in three out his first four games is not being realistic imo.

I get he has had it tough but he clearly is not blameless for the past 4 games. We praised him for the Ross County game so surely he carries some of the can for Hibs, Celtic and St Mirren.

I know it all stems from Budge, her weegie yes men, Neilson and his two Stoogies though.

women!

image.jpeg.610df16502366a1a3fb5ed61d6b22d85.jpeg

Until we rid this wretched woman from our club and replace her with 10 potato head look a like 50+ year old's with their good old traditional values of shouting and trying to look like uncooked sausages in a shirt - we're DOOMED!

Harry Potter
15 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Some supporters should lower their expectations and the seethe function in their tiny brains. 

Just about every thread on here lately started by the same few doomongers with noted additions from a few more depressed doomongers is all about how Shit everything is. 

It's just not, we're still in with a chance of 3rd, we have a great chance of getting into Europe again.

It's like a concerted effort is being made to look smart and attempt to suck the enjoyment out of supporting the club. Seriously,  it's much more enjoyable supporting the club and looking at the good things rather than disappearing up your own arse desperately searching for anything to moan and grizzle about. 

So there was not a problem with that 1st half on saturday, 🤥.

16 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Unfortunately that cock is  'Bob's' 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

True. The time for rethinks and experiments is over. 

Next season absolutely cannot be a long term project type building season. 

The right management team needs to be in place and the right players need to be signed. 

End of story. 

Sounds plus a plan.

But.....Shh, don't tell everyone. 

Before long,  Every club will be looking for the right management team and the right players!

ford donald
13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Agree with that,the cash is there but the manager/coach is not there yet,next appointment is crucial.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

So there was not a problem with that 1st half on saturday, 🤥.

Part of the problem on here us that every game, minute, pass etc is over analysed. 

It really does come across that if teams don't fold like Ross county and we don't by a barrel load it's not good enough. 

This was highlighted under Bob in particular when we beat Hibs 3-0 twice and Aberdeen 5-0 and folk were saying but the performance was poor or the absolute nonsense posted after close wins or battling points.

We won't be challenging the OF soon and we will struggle and need to battle in some games, a new manager isn't going to change us into a all conquering side that sweeps away all opposition as well as winning v the OF and Fiorentina regularly. 

There's gonna be lots of disappointed folk over the next season or 2.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, pointon said:

Get an established manager back him to get good players job done

Again, shhh, don't let that out.

Email Hearts direct, I think you've cracked the recipe for success. 

Nobody will have thought of that. 

24 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Part of the problem on here us that every game, minute, pass etc is over analysed. 

It really does come across that if teams don't fold like Ross county and we don't by a barrel load it's not good enough. 

This was highlighted under Bob in particular when we beat Hibs 3-0 twice and Aberdeen 5-0 and folk were saying but the performance was poor or the absolute nonsense posted after close wins or battling points.

We won't be challenging the OF soon and we will struggle and need to battle in some games, a new manager isn't going to change us into a all conquering side that sweeps away all opposition as well as winning v the OF and Fiorentina regularly. 

There's gonna be lots of disappointed folk over the next season or 2.

So you've said, numerous times.

Who would you go for out of interest? Bob Neilson?