Zander Clark

gregzy2k7

frankblack
51 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

It was in jest (there are other more important factors). You do realise that 'keepers save penalties?

Of course keepers can save penalties but most hardly ever do unless they guess right or its a terrible effort.

Without the wall, a team with someone who can really hit a ball will be able to get added pace, power and swerve as they aren't having to get up and over a wall.

51 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Also, you might wish to brush up on the laws of physics if you think that a ball reaching the 'keeper would be going faster from 20, 25, or 30 yards than it does from 12.

Just sayin'. 👍

Its all about whether the keeper can actually see the ball if its hit at up to 130mph - its similar to trying to receive a serve from a number of tennis players.

https://sqaf.club/most-powerful-shots-in-football/

Anyway, thats just my thoughts.  I doubt clubs will stop using a wall in top flight football any time soon.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• Pasquale for King

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• BRY

On 13/05/2023 at 20:10, tynie chris said:

Average keeper at best, has cost us with some howlers this season, can’t wait for Craig Gordon to get over his injury and secure the number 1 spot, but hey ho, that’s just my opinion. 

76_8350_w300.jpg

I raised my eyebrows when he signed last summer mainly because I was surprised he was willing to coming as No2 to Craig.   Well thank F he did.  One or two moments aside he has been good.  I am amazed nobody else came in for him.  

Not sure if this is his responsibility or , but I suspect it is...

I just thought the wall for the free-kick at the weekend was at the wrong angle!

Almost like they were trying to "funnel" the kick to go where it did.

Even worse then that ZC didn't have it covered...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The positioning is poor, but seems the norm to do this. I dont really get it, less distance for the ball to travel on that side, I would be central from that position and not a yard or two to my left. I should be able to move my feet to the left in any case to get to one swinging to the right from the taker.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Will never work out what he was doing with his wall/positional set up at their free kick.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Will never work out what he was doing with his wall/positional set up at their free kick.

gave himself too much goal to cover, strange  way to set up , 

He's probably as good a stable, keeper as we could afford, (bit like McLaughlin was) without winning a watch and a Craig Gordon standard comes along.

• 1 month later...

Asked if Clark’s problem was not serious, McAvoy replied: “Hopefully. We will find out further but I don’t think it looks that bad. He just felt something in his leg. We will get him assessed.”

Guaranteed he's out till Xmas knowing our luck, in saying that maybe we might unearth a diamond in Harry Stone. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Our injury situation over the past 3 years deserves lots of sackings and a complete new sports science team.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, ramrod said:

Guaranteed he's out till Xmas knowing our luck, in saying that maybe we might unearth a diamond in Harry Stone. 

You make your own luck.

The better your sports team the less injuries.

It really is as simple as that.

5 hours ago, Sertse said:

Asked if Clark’s problem was not serious, McAvoy replied: “Hopefully. We will find out further but I don’t think it looks that bad. He just felt something in his leg. We will get him assessed.”

It sounded like the injury he had near end of last season when was subbed off. Hasn’t had much of a break with Scotland camp. Only flew out in middle of this week then was straight into the first game 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Newton51 said:

It sounded like the injury he had near end of last season when was subbed off. Hasn’t had much of a break with Scotland camp. Only flew out in middle of this week then was straight into the first game 

Well we should have insisted he had time out ffs.

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Well we should have insisted he had time out ffs.

I didn’t think he should have played during week and left the young lads starting since they had been their the whole trip

39 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Our injury situation over the past 3 years deserves lots of sackings and a complete new sports science team.

3 years?

5/6 i'd say.

Remember losing Uche, Haring and Berra in a short space of time. All 3 were playing superbly at the time.

Agree on the last part.  I think anyone suggesting this is just all bad luck is zipped up at the back. Incredible delusion.

On 13/05/2023 at 20:25, Irufushi said:

Not good enough. Release in summer please. 

Perfect time to throw him out the

door.

The Treasurer
8 hours ago, airthjambo said:

Loads of medical experts on this thread tonight I see.

You don't need to be a medical expert to start wondering if there is more to our injury list than just bad luck 

Sleepy head

Roy Keane " all muscle pulls are down to poor conditioning" Sport science team's job is to condition the players. Just saying.

18 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

If it was just a niggle wee bit strange crutches were needed 😏

Was he definitely on crutches or is this another rumour that has grown arms and legs? 

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Was he definitely on crutches or is this another rumour that has grown arms and legs? 

:lol:

Robbo-Jambo
52 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Just taking it from folk on here that supposedly were there 😏.

56 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah he was on crutches. I was waiting with my wee man after the game to see the players and he came out with them

Edited by Tam1981

Remember when the Scotland team stopped using the Oriam citing it as "dangerous"?

Many (myself included) assumed it was just a story to cover the fact they wanted to move back to Glasgow, but maybe there is something in it...

10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

3 years?

5/6 i'd say.

Remember losing Uche, Haring and Berra in a short space of time. All 3 were playing superbly at the time.

Agree on the last part.  I think anyone suggesting this is just all bad luck is zipped up at the back. Incredible delusion.

And Souttar and Naisy to that. That’s when the wheels fell off the season. We were in first place up until November iirc. 

Every team will think the same but injuries have absolutely ruined us the past few years. 

7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

And Souttar and Naisy to that. That’s when the wheels fell off the season. We were in first place up until November iirc. 

Every team will think the same but injuries have absolutely ruined us the past few years. 

Yeah we went to Dundee on a Wednesday night and beat them 3-0. I'm sure we then went on a horrendous run which started in the league cup semi final against Celtic. Naismith went off injured early to be replaced with Amankwa and that was that! 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

You don't need to be a medical expert to start wondering if there is more to our injury list than just bad luck 

Of course there is, other teams have injuries, but as soon we as we start playing in games, friendly or not we get injuries to too many key players. It’s getting very frustrating and needs looking into, imo.

11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

3 years?

5/6 i'd say.

The rate we have injuries is ludicrous. Is it the training? Is it Riccarton facilities? We have more injuries than most which also must have contributed to our failure to finish 3rd last season (obvs the shite run in to Bob's sacking didn't help). 

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The rate we have injuries is ludicrous. Is it the training? Is it Riccarton facilities? We have more injuries than most which also must have contributed to our failure to finish 3rd last season (obvs the shite run in to Bob's sacking didn't help). 

Is there any statistical evidence that we have more injuries than most?

WheatfieldWarrior
40 minutes ago, Marvin said:

While Clark pulled up in the warm up yesterday, over the last few years, I don't think many were in training - most were injured on the pitch. Big injuries to Gordon, Naismith, Halkett Berra, Souttar, Beningime, Walker, Haring, Boyce, Rowles (and others) were all on pitch.

33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Just seems like it Dave 🤷‍♂️ 

Robbo-Jambo
53 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It is ridiculous.

The last three years have been hampered by serious injuries.

Dunno what the answer to it is though 😕.

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah we went to Dundee on a Wednesday night and beat them 3-0. I'm sure we then went on a horrendous run which started in the league cup semi final against Celtic. Naismith went off injured early to be replaced with Amankwa and that was that! 

Naismith had played a lot up until then, maybe two meaningless Scotland games too, and should’ve been taken off as soon as it went to 3-0. CL never recovered from that point.

Saint Jambo
42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Are you suggesting that people might be more likely to notice that Hearts goalkeeper has to miss a pre-season friendly against Dunfermline than if the same thing happened to another team? That because we pay more attention to Hearts, we may notice our injuries more than those of other clubs? And based on that some might be jumping to conclusions that there is an issue with our medical team or other coaches that might not really exist?

Because if you are, I think you might be on to something.

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Are you suggesting that people might be more likely to notice that Hearts goalkeeper has to miss a pre-season friendly against Dunfermline than if the same thing happened to another team? That because we pay more attention to Hearts, we may notice our injuries more than those of other clubs? And based on that some might be jumping to conclusions that there is an issue with our medical team or other coaches that might not really exist?

Because if you are, I think you might be on to something.

Maybe. 😄

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Genuinely not sure.  All I am sure about it is not all just bad luck.  

The conditioning of our players is very questionable though.  We seem to come off second best in challenge and get injuries in warmups etc.

Players get innocuous injuries and seem to be out for months.  

I am extremely unhappy with almost everyone behind the scenes at our club.  From Mckinlay and Savage to the bob a job fitness and sport's science team.

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, BRY said:

Remember when the Scotland team stopped using the Oriam citing it as "dangerous"?

Many (myself included) assumed it was just a story to cover the fact they wanted to move back to Glasgow, but maybe there is something in it...

You aren't advocating a cow shed in East Lothian instead surely?

I think our horrendous injury record is not down to bad luck and I think the club would be foolish to pass it off as such

Questions should quite rightly being asked of the club, even if they keep findings internal, it is now definitely a situation we should be addressing 

all these injuries are not coincidence I’m afraid, I do believe our injury record  is worse compared to our rivals over a longer sustained period 

Edited by jbee647

Tom Hardy’s Dug
14 hours ago, airthjambo said:

Loads of medical experts on this thread tonight I see.

I am not one. But I know enough elite sports athletes and injury experts to have said within a month of Berra tearing his hammy to state on here that he’d never get up to speed again as a pro.

I was right but yet he was offered a new contract whilst still injured.

It’s science but not rocket science. Our sports science team simply haven’t done their job properly.

Constant muscle and soft tissue injuries. Almost all entirely preventable.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

I think our horrendous injury record is not down to bad luck and I think the club would be foolish to pass it off as such

Questions should quite rightly being asked of the club, even if they keep findings internal, it is now definitely a situation we should be addressing 

all these injuries are not coincidence I’m afraid, I do believe our injury record  is worse compared to our rivals over a longer sustained period 

I suspect a factor in some is how we are talked about as a big physical team and how referees handle that.

Quote often the "big physical team" line is deployed by other teams before they proceed to kick lumps out of our players.

Even when there's not necessarily more fouls, the tackles are more forceful, and the opponents allowed by referees to be more physical with us.

I'm not suggesting it's the sole cause of our injury problems, but I think it's a factor in why we seem to get more than other teams.

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

You aren't advocating a cow shed in East Lothian instead surely?

Not advocating anything - just asking a question that popped into my head as the discussion was around injuries via training...

Edited by BRY
spelling error

Japan Jambo
2 minutes ago, BRY said:

Not advocating anything - just asking a question that popped into my head as the discussion was around injuries via training...

apologies if I came across as gruff. Rereading my comment the humour I meant wasn't apparent 🙂 

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

No, but it’s a good conspiracy theory. 

10 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

apologies if I came across as gruff. Rereading my comment the humour I meant wasn't apparent 🙂 

I thought it was funny 😁 

Pasquale for King

Hopefully the person we hired a few months ago to look at the players eating habits will help them prevent injuries.