VAR and politics

Ian Black 8

Ian Black 8

Kept myself out this for long enough but as an ex player I was understood that VAR was for clear and obvious errors so the referee has made a decision and he gave a yellow card only for VAR to overlook that. What’s the point in having a ref on the pitch these days if every decision they make is going to be overruled. Be aswell just shouting over the tannoy for fouls as it all gets stopped and called back anyway. A massive part of my game was putting my foot in and getting stuck in and playing a pass your never gone to time every tackle perfect especially when I played but the politics of the game is I’d be sent off every other week. That’s what I was there to do put a foot in and let your man know your there but some of these replays when it’s slowed down makes tackles look a lot worse and more intentional a lot of players will think twice to jump in for a loose ball. The game of footballs changed  

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• DETTY29

• Ricardo Quaresma

been here before
2 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

What’s the point in having a ref on the pitch these days if every decision they make is going to be overruled.

But thats nothing at all like what really happens.

Jambo 4 Ever
7 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Kept myself out this for long enough but as an ex player I was understood that VAR was for clear and obvious errors so the referee has made a decision and he gave a yellow card only for VAR to overlook that. What’s the point in having a ref on the pitch these days if every decision they make is going to be overruled. Be aswell just shouting over the tannoy for fouls as it all gets stopped and called back anyway. A massive part of my game was putting my foot in and getting stuck in and playing a pass your never gone to time every tackle perfect especially when I played but the politics of the game is I’d be sent off every other week. That’s what I was there to do put a foot in and let your man know your there but some of these replays when it’s slowed down makes tackles look a lot worse and more intentional a lot of players will think twice to jump in for a loose ball. The game of footballs changed  

What do you think of some players sometimes play acting when they get fouled though - does this have an impact on the refs final decision?

Ian Black 8
12 minutes ago, been here before said:

Got the wording wrong there pal I’m talking about the game yesterday. That’s no a clear and obvious red card in my opinion 👍

That wasn't a clear and obvious mistake by Nick Walsh.

The question we all know the answer to , Inc the Scottish media , is,Would Collum have got involved in this incident if it had been during a Celtic Rangers game ?

That's the Salient point , forget the rights and wrongs of the referees initial decision. 

That's the big problem that festers within Scottish football, officials referee games according to the jeopardy involved. Absolutely amateurish stuff still alive and kicking in Scottish football. 

fabienleclerq

The referee made an on field decision, it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake so var shouldn't be asking him to look again. 

The issue with var is its the same west coast referee's controlling it and they couldn't have Hearts upsetting the apple cart leaving celtic to win the league at Ibrox.

27 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

I'm sure there is a rule that VAR can't intervene yellow cards unless its dangerous/serious foul play. Which it wasn't. 

5 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

I'm sure there is a rule that VAR can't intervene yellow cards unless its dangerous/serious foul play. Which it wasn't. 

No it can't advise that a yellow card can be rescinded (unless mistaken identity) but it can advise it could be upgraded to a red.

So it's ok to yellow card someone wrongly.

ShortmanRossco
33 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

What boils my piss is that taking that red in isolation...... I don't see what he could have seen the second time to make him want to change his original call. VAR is meant to be a utility provided to the referee - not an influence so it's still meant to actually be his final call. I don't understand what he can conceivably come out with to say what he saw differently on second viewing.

1 minute ago, ShortmanRossco said:

What boils my piss is that taking that red in isolation...... I don't see what he could have seen the second time to make him want to change his original call. VAR is meant to be a utility provided to the referee - not an influence so it's still meant to actually be his final call. I don't understand what he can conceivably come out with to say what he saw differently on second viewing.

He didn't see anything different, it just became Collum's call instead of Walsh's.

Gorgierools
1 minute ago, graygo said:

He didn't see anything different, it just became Collum's call instead of Walsh's.

Exactly, Collum undoubtedly overstepped his brief and pulled rank over Walsh. Whilst forgetting to do the same with Reilly's tackle. Davisgate all over again.

ShortmanRossco
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

It seemed that way but technically that's not supposed to be how it works. They'll not do it but Jesus there needs to be greater transparency between the conversations referee's are having with the VAR officials. That's what happens in rugby and that was the template for VAR was it not?

1 minute ago, ShortmanRossco said:

It seemed that way but technically that's not supposed to be how it works. They'll not do it but Jesus there needs to be greater transparency between the conversations referee's are having with the VAR officials. That's what happens in rugby and that was the template for VAR was it not?

Not even sure the VAR even needs to talk to the referee, a buzzer that alerts him to look at the screen should suffice. Pretty sure they would still second guess what the VAR wanted him to do though.

indianajones

I like VAR but it's shite when it's applied in cases like yesterday.

It wasn't clear and obvious. It was even debatable if it was a goal scoring opportunity. 

Has there been a decision where the referee has checked the monitor and not changed their mind??

It's almost if they get asked to take a look at a situation you know they're going to change their original decision.

JimmyCant
37 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Got the wording wrong there pal I’m talking about the game yesterday. That’s no a clear and obvious red card in my opinion 👍

If we’d had VAR in the 2012 cup final, you’d have been sent off 😂 

53 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Your whole premise is wrong.

VAR is the English version.

In Scotland it's GAR (Glasgow Assistant Referee)

49 minutes ago, been here before said:

Did you see Goldson hauling Duke down on the edge of the penalty box and no review. In the same game Cantwell pushed Scales with two hands full on in the chest causing him to fall over and the ref gives them both a yellow card without any review from VAR otherwise the alternative was a straight red for Cantwell.

Yes we have VAR but we still have the same bias from those reviewing the game from their safe little boxes hidden from view.

Robbo-Jambo
32 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

The referee made an on field decision, it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake so var shouldn't be asking him to look again. 

The issue with var is its the same west coast referee's controlling it and they couldn't have Hearts upsetting the apple cart leaving celtic to win the league at Ibrox.

This.

Was so obvious.

That's why they had Collum on var in case Celtic were struggling.

Sickened once again by Scottish football. 😏

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Did you see Goldson hauling Duke down on the edge of the penalty box and no review. In the same game Cantwell pushed Scales with two hands full on in the chest causing him to fall over and the ref gives them both a yellow card without any review from VAR otherwise the alternative was a straight red for Cantwell.

Yes we have VAR but we still have the same bias from those reviewing the game from their safe little boxes hidden from view.

You are correct but Scales doesn’t get booked it was the other player who squared up to Cantwell. Rangers have had one penalty given against them in about 100 games yet still moan about VAR. 

Footballfirst

The VARs in Scotland seem intent on getting involved in the decision making, as if to justify their presence.  The IFAB VAR protocols make clear in Principle 1 when they should get involved.

Principles

The use of VARs in football matches is based on a number of principles, all of which must apply in every match using VARs.

1. A video assistant referee (VAR) is a match official, with independent access to match footage, who may assist the referee only in the event of a ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ in relation to:

a. Goal/no goal

b. Penalty/no penalty

c. Direct red card (not second yellow card/caution)

d. Mistaken identity (when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player of the offending team)

2. The referee must always make a decision, i.e. the referee is not permitted to give ‘no decision’ and then use the VAR to make the decision; a decision to allow play to continue after an alleged offence can be reviewed.

3. The original decision given by the referee will not be changed unless the video review clearly shows that the decision was a 'clear and obvious error'.

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You are correct but Scales doesn’t get booked it was the other player who squared up to Cantwell. Rangers have had one penalty given against them in about 100 games yet still moan about VAR. 

Michael Stewart has just posted stats on penalties conceded in the SPFL this season

Aberdeen 12

Hibs 11

St Mirren 11

Livingston 9

Celtic 7

Hearts 7

Kilmarnock 6

Dundee United 5

Motherwell 4

Ross Co 3

St Johnstone 3

Rangers 0

The accepted explanation for the distribution of penalties is that teams that dominate possession tend to be awarded most penalties and concede fewest.

Isn't it odd to see that the top six teams, who you would expect to dominate possession, have actually conceded most penalties, barring one notable but unsurprising exception, of course. 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Michael Stewart has just posted stats on penalties conceded in the SPFL this season

Aberdeen 12

Hibs 11

St Mirren 11

Livingston 9

Celtic 7

Hearts 7

Kilmarnock 6

Dundee United 5

Motherwell 4

Ross Co 3

St Johnstone 3

Rangers 0

The accepted explanation for the distribution of penalties is that teams that dominate possession tend to be awarded most penalties and concede fewest.

Isn't it odd to see that the top six teams, who you would expect to dominate possession, have actually conceded most penalties, barring one notable but unsurprising exception, of course. 

Lets remember Celtic would be fewer if a ref had his way. Two of the most penaltiest penalties ever overlooked until VAR no foubt reluctantly HAD to overrule them

kingantti1874

OP is spot on.  I maintain Scottish football is bent!! Would VAR have intervened if that was Shankland ? 

0% chance.

its high time that the 10 clubs clearly there to make up numbers took a stand.

ps : the Ian Black ? If so 👏

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Aberdeen 12

Hibs 11

St Mirren 11

Livingston 9

Celtic 7

Hearts 7

Kilmarnock 6

Dundee United 5

Motherwell 4

Ross Co 3

St Johnstone 3

Rangers 0

It’s unbelievable really, Goldson in particular appears to have Carte Blanche to do as he pleases in and around the box. 

Wee Mikey
59 minutes ago, dougal said:

Has there been a decision where the referee has checked the monitor and not changed their mind??

It's almost if they get asked to take a look at a situation you know they're going to change their original decision.

Yes, by none other than Willie Collum!!!

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Lets remember Celtic would be fewer if a ref had his way. Two of the most penaltiest penalties ever overlooked until VAR no foubt reluctantly HAD to overrule them

They get ever so slightly less from refs than Rangers do. The fact that neither side requires much help to win most games and then moan about competition when they get pumped in Europe with more impartial refs. 

Ronald Villiers
1 hour ago, ShortmanRossco said:

It'll never happen but they should show replays on the big screens as the ref is watching it and the ref's conversation with the VAR guys should be audible so that we can hear their rationale for their decisions.  Aa you say, it works in rugby.  

Bull's-eye
1 hour ago, Ian Black 8 said:

I get what your saying, players have to adapt. Got no issue with the game moving forwards.

Trouble is, watch an Old Firm game and they kick lumps out of each other and nothing is done because the referee & VAR "play the occasion".

Cochrane yesterday wouldn't have got Red carded in an Old Firm game, he wouldn't have got carded if he was wearing Blue or a Hooped shirt. I don't even think he gets carded if Celtic where 3 nil up.

I thought the players gave everything yesterday and in the face of that disgusting decision they get a few plus marks again.

There is little point in trying to compete with either of the Old Firm anymore. Yesterday just highlights the inconsistency and how 2 clubs are treated completely different to the rest.

1 hour ago, Ian Black 8 said:

My understanding is that VAR is supposed to get involved if the error is CLEAR and OBVIOUS. The Cochrane red was not either of those things. Walsh spotted the foul, and booked the player. Where is the clear and obvious error that would allow VAR to intervene? IMO Collum has overstepped. 

I'm sick of Willie Collum, he's an awful referee, overly officious and can't wait to get his cards out and make things about him. That was an excellent game of football until he forced his way in to ruin it. Time and time again he creates an awful atmosphere in games where there really isn't any need in it. Celtic/Hearts is already a powder keg fixture, and that prick then wants to inflame things further by insisting on a red card that absolutely no one thought was a red? An absolute shitehouse of a human being. 

I hope the club requests an explanation on why VAR got involved, because by I think everyone's understanding is VAR had no right whatsoever to get involved there. It was not a clear and obvious error by Walsh and looks like Collum using VAR to referee the game his way, instead of letting Walsh manage the game and assisting. If he has overstepped here, I hope the club can get him sanctioned because its not ****ing good enough. 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They get ever so slightly less from refs than Rangers do. The fact that neither side requires much help to win most games and then moan about competition when they get pumped in Europe with more impartial refs. 

Thats the bit that KILLS me. They dont need the help, they have absolutely every advantage. Theyd maybe get 95 points instead 105. Maybe theyd still get 105. Abd tgeir fans celebrate beating us, Hibs, Killie, Ross Co etc like theyve achieved something

I think Ange is prob a good manager actually but all this achievement stuff. Really? C Mcgregor said something like how amazing it is that it only really took them 6 weeks to grasp Anges methods and it rakes some teams months and years to intro new styles. Oh wow guys! Well done guys! You managed to introduce a new style ovet six weeks playing guys on 5% of your salaries!!! What a bunch of heros! Honestly, hats off.

2 hours ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Same applies for offsides. 

Ridiculous yesterday the number of times the flag never went up because VAR will check it.

But on one side a player could get injured making a needless tackle. On the other play might not favour the defensive team and the offensive team score from being offside as per their first goal.

Why don't linesman flag early to signal its offside and if needed play continues to see if it will result in a goal to be checked? Linesman are almost pointless now as they give throw ins based on the refs instruction 

The biggest issue I have with VAR in this country (asides from the tits using it) is the still images they use to determine serious foul play or denying a goal scoring opportunity. It’s bullshit. 

The still from yesterday actually makes it look like Maeda could be running in on goal. Where in real time his touch took all the pace off the ball and took him infield towards the centre halfs. Also Clark was out sharpish so it would’ve had to take something special to actually score. 

Anyone who’s actually played the game (apart from Neil McCann strangely) knows that wasn’t a clear cut chance. Stills should be banned from VAR.

2 hours ago, Ian Black 8 said:

like Devlin - but you didnt give the ball away as often as he did yesterday - poor devil couldnt put a pass to a Hearts player at all. 

Hector Riva
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Your whole premise is wrong.

VAR is the English version.

In Scotland it's GAR (Glasgow Assistant Referee)

Spot on 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

And we wouldnt have got Susos penalty 😱😜 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Thats the bit that KILLS me. They dont need the help, they have absolutely every advantage. Theyd maybe get 95 points instead 105. Maybe theyd still get 105. Abd tgeir fans celebrate beating us, Hibs, Killie, Ross Co etc like theyve achieved something

I think Ange is prob a good manager actually but all this achievement stuff. Really? C Mcgregor said something like how amazing it is that it only really took them 6 weeks to grasp Anges methods and it rakes some teams months and years to intro new styles. Oh wow guys! Well done guys! You managed to introduce a new style ovet six weeks playing guys on 5% of your salaries!!! What a bunch of heros! Honestly, hats off.

Exactly, unfortunately he is a good manager and the sooner he ****s off the better. 

Worthing Jambo
24 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I get what your saying, players have to adapt. Got no issue with the game moving forwards.

Trouble is, watch an Old Firm game and they kick lumps out of each other and nothing is done because the referee & VAR "play the occasion".

Cochrane yesterday wouldn't have got Red carded in an Old Firm game, he wouldn't have got carded if he was wearing Blue or a Hooped shirt. I don't even think he gets carded if Celtic where 3 nil up.

I thought the players gave everything yesterday and in the face of that disgusting decision they get a few plus marks again.

There is little point in trying to compete with either of the Old Firm anymore. Yesterday just highlights the inconsistency and how 2 clubs are treated completely different to the rest.

Hugh Dallas even came out and said they referee OF games differently!

it is called corruption.

It is so ingrained into their mentality that they can’t see what the rest of us see.

Just as well the likes of Dallas aren’t around any longer, oh wait, why don’t we complain to UEFA, I’m sure their referee management are fine upstanding folk!🙄

Sooperstar

The at screen discussions between the ref and the VAR officials should be recorded and made public so that we can all understand better how they have reached the decision. I can't see any reason for not having that level of transparency. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, DS98 said:

The biggest issue I have with VAR in this country (asides from the tits using it) is the still images they use to determine serious foul play or denying a goal scoring opportunity. It’s bullshit. 

The still from yesterday actually makes it look like Maeda could be running in on goal. Where in real time his touch took all the pace off the ball and took him infield towards the centre halfs. Also Clark was out sharpish so it would’ve had to take something special to actually score. 

Anyone who’s actually played the game (apart from Neil McCann strangely) knows that wasn’t a clear cut chance. Stills should be banned from VAR.

Agreed but Clark was nowhere near out far enough, he was stuck to his line far top often especially the goals, when you need the GK to be more of a sweeper against them In particular.

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, OTT said:

My understanding is that VAR is supposed to get involved if the error is CLEAR and OBVIOUS. The Cochrane red was not either of those things. Walsh spotted the foul, and booked the player. Where is the clear and obvious error that would allow VAR to intervene? IMO Collum has overstepped. 

I'm sick of Willie Collum, he's an awful referee, overly officious and can't wait to get his cards out and make things about him. That was an excellent game of football until he forced his way in to ruin it. Time and time again he creates an awful atmosphere in games where there really isn't any need in it. Celtic/Hearts is already a powder keg fixture, and that prick then wants to inflame things further by insisting on a red card that absolutely no one thought was a red? An absolute shitehouse of a human being. 

I hope the club requests an explanation on why VAR got involved, because by I think everyone's understanding is VAR had no right whatsoever to get involved there. It was not a clear and obvious error by Walsh and looks like Collum using VAR to referee the game his way, instead of letting Walsh manage the game and assisting. If he has overstepped here, I hope the club can get him sanctioned because its not ****ing good enough. 

He didn’t ruin the game, in their opinion,  he turned it in their favour and saved a title decider at Rangers which couldn’t be allowed if at all possible. 

Clivehunter81
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

I like VAR but it's shite when it's applied in cases like yesterday.

It wasn't clear and obvious. It was even debatable if it was a goal scoring opportunity. 

You like VAR??  Oh my.  🤣

Also what was with that shot in the first half where Celtic were clearly offside, linesman plays on as they are told to do now, the Celtic boy is by the byline, takes a shot and Clark pans it out.

CORNER TO CELTIC :laugh:

****ing joke, should've been a free kick to us. Almost as if the linesman forgot or... was bent!

Footballfirst
29 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I was speaking to a current match official in the pub last night. He agrees that the use of stills is wrong.

One point I would add is that the ball wasn't under Maeda's control when he was fouled. it was 10ft up in the air. By the time he could have got it under control, he was being closed down and the square pass was no longer an option.

jamboinglasgow

Seen two ex-referee reviews of the incident, one from BBC Scotland and one from Sky Sports news. The Sky sports news one just looks at it based on footage not whether it should have gone to VAR and says it was a red. The BBC Scotland one with Stuart Dougal argues that it was a clear and obvious error. 

But what I dont get is why then does the ref give a yellow, what changes it to a red? The ref sees the flight of the ball and knows where it is going to, sees the players coming together, knows where Maeda is relative to other players and decides its a yellow. So what are they arguing he has missed? Thats where I dont see how this an obvious and clear error. Stuart Dougal was talking about Maeda was in a position to get a shot away and the defenders were still running but the ref would be able to see that and still decided to give a yellow.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What do you think of some players sometimes play acting when they get fouled though - does this have an impact on the refs final decision?

Not sure what that has to do with the incident yesterday, which is what is being discussed. 

Unless of course you are referring to Maeda managing to "somehow " stay on his feet after the challenge, until he gets into the penalty box 

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Seen two ex-referee reviews of the incident, one from BBC Scotland and one from Sky Sports news. The Sky sports news one just looks at it based on footage not whether it should have gone to VAR and says it was a red. The BBC Scotland one with Stuart Dougal argues that it was a clear and obvious error. 

But what I dont get is why then does the ref give a yellow, what changes it to a red? The ref sees the flight of the ball and knows where it is going to, sees the players coming together, knows where Maeda is relative to other players and decides its a yellow. So what are they arguing he has missed? Thats where I dont see how this an obvious and clear error. Stuart Dougal was talking about Maeda was in a position to get a shot away and the defenders were still running but the ref would be able to see that and still decided to give a yellow.

I would like to see stats, for each referee, when on field decisions have been overturned following the intervention of the VAR. It may provide a good measure of how well or badly the referees are performing in terms of getting big decisions wrong.

Basically the on field ref is now shirking any controversial decision, ignoring penalty claims etc and just leaving it to VAR to make the decision. As if it was possible the standard of refereeing has dropped considerably since VAR came in, they don’t actually make any real decisions now. Cochranes yellow being a classic example, book him or red card him… easy decision issue a yellow and let VAR decide if it’s more, Shanklands penalty the other week, clear as day a trip but the ref plays on knowing VAR will step in if needs be.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Our record against R and C would be much better.