Neilson Poll March 2023

kingantti1874

Neilson Poll March 2023  

979 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robbie Neilson be hearts manager?

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

It was a huge step up financially.  Life-changing in fact. Not many of us would stick around if another employer offered us 2.5/3 times what we are currently earning. 

Correct. It was also enough of a step up in responsibility that it's probably a good thing he didn't try to go to a bigger club. He's admitted that the full manager responsibilities were more than he expected and he struggled to adjust, and his signings weren't great.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agentjambo

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• Naisys Tackle

Big John Colquhoun

Only 18% are definite they want him to stay, says it all. Time for a change, prevailing mood among just about everyone I speak to. Make going to Tynecastle fun again.

End of the day 3rd place is Neilson’s remit and a decent cup run.

We will see at the seasons end if he succeeds or fails.

4 hours ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

Only 18% are definite they want him to stay, says it all. Time for a change, prevailing mood among just about everyone I speak to. Make going to Tynecastle fun again.

You don't appear to have been going to Tynie very long.

Perhaps you could tell us how long you have been going and which seasons were "fun" to go to Tynecastle out of those years.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You don't appear to have been going to Tynie very long.

Perhaps you could tell us how long you have been going and which seasons were "fun" to go to Tynecastle out of those years.

Oh here come the sarcastic,patronising remarks again.🥱🥱🥱

6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Robbie didn't leave because of the plane flyers and "phoodle" pamphleteers, but how we did after Robbie left should have been a pretty clear sign of how up their own arse they were (and still are). That's thankfully a small number of supporters and the majority of those fed up with Robbie right now have more sound arguments, it must be admitted.

I agree that the bit in bold is the central question. I will continue to maintain that for significant stretches of the season, we have played interesting, enjoyable football from the 3-4-3 and that when we've had the right personnel healthy and the team have been engaged, it works very well for us. The supposed lack of the "right players" to play is in my opinion a misread of the way Robbie wants the system to work, and an expectation of the wingback position which is limited.

That doesn't mean we don't need a form change, but I think the reason is wrong. The team flat out didn't play for the jersey in Aberdeen, if we had, we would have been fine. If the team aren't playing for the jersey it often mean they don't believe in the tactics or formation the manager has put out. I don't think just moving the formation around will do any good whatsoever, no matter what shape gets picked, unless it re-energizes a sense of belief and purpose. (Despite all the mocking of the "belief" stuff from one poster on here, I think it's very important. It's just not something that you can decide you're going to add because you notice its missing, though, it's built organically.)

If the players themselves are annoyed at the 3-4-3, it needs a change, but only if they can get behind the change. If no change will get the players to play, then it's time for Robbie to go. The other stuff about tinkering, stubbornness, square pegs, and the rest is absolute guff IMO. Sorry to be blunt but I am sick to my gills of hearing about it as I think it's a combination of bad analysis and meaningless tripe.

From what I remember with his leaving the first time there was constant media speculation about Leveins involvement in the first team and notes being passed down etc. I suspect it was an opportunity to get away from that and get a clean break as his own man. Can't really grudge him it either. 

I get the feeling the players don't like the 343 formation. We seem to get stuck in long spells of passing it side ways with little idea on how to break teams down. I wonder if the demands of the formation are putting too much pressure on them. We're putting a huge ask on our wingbacks (of which neither are, although Cochrane seems better suited than Smith), our midfield only has 1 player with legs as Snodgrass seemed to be having to play as some sort of quarter back and not much else. We lose our most effective player (Shanks) in having to drop deep to receive the ball and link play. For me, it just seems an uncomfortable way of playing for the players we have. Like we're trying to institute a way of playing rather than using the players we have to play the best with what we have. Our squad seems to very neatly fit into a 433 with everyone in natural positions

I've no idea if Robbie and the players had a chat this week, but hopefully we'll see some big changes because what happened at Aberdeen wasn't acceptable. 

11 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Some people just can't hack the rough with the smooth that comes with supporting a club like Hearts. 👌

If you think its going to change any time soon without massive investment then you are kidding yourself.

11 hours ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

I would say half of that are our resident Hobo sad acts. Click on the names, very interesting with regards to (lack of) profile pics and post count.

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

Tynecastle has been brilliant this season,  best form in decades.

Goals in every game. 

Concerns about the away form quite rightly are  being raised.

Are You getting Tynecastle and ER mixed up?

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I would say half of that are our resident Hobo sad acts. Click on the names, very interesting with regards to (lack of) profile pics and post count.

Na, he's just talking pish as at Tynecastle we've been involved in lots of good games and have a very good record. 

Could be the best in decades.

12 hours ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

Beat Dundee Utd 4-1

Beat Aberdeen 5-0

Beat Hibs 3-0

Beat St Johnstone 3-0

Beat Motherwell in a thriller with 10 men

4-3 defeat to Celtic but was some game. 
Humphrys scoring from his own half 

Away from has not been good enough but Tynecastle has mostly been entertaining. 

35 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Na, he's just talking pish as at Tynecastle we've been involved in lots of good games and have a very good record. 

Could be the best in decades.

It's unfortunate that I've been watching the awful away games as well. Should I be ignoring these or just not bother going?

8 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

I think it's a fair question and personally didn't see any sarcasm etc.

My opinion as I've said before, society seems to be becoming much more short termism these days. No denying we've been off the boil lately, but the league table encompasses games and points over the whole season. 

under neilsen we historically do pretty well compared to seasons past. 

Nookie Bear
13 hours ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

34 goals in 14 games seems decent entertainment to me.

In 2005-6 we scored 43 in 19 which is less goals per game.

Away form is garbage though.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

It's unfortunate that I've been watching the awful away games as well. Should I be ignoring these or just not bother going?

Ignore what you want.

You ignore the good home performances,unbeaten v hibs, and 3rd place finishes ( despite thinking we'd be lower last season and this season)so feel free to do what ever makes you most unhappy as that seems to be when your happiest.

3 hours ago, karipidis said:

Beat Dundee Utd 4-1

Beat Aberdeen 5-0

Beat Hibs 3-0

Beat St Johnstone 3-0

I suppose 5 exciting games out of 14 isn’t bad.

9 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Best home form for nearly 20 years and your still not happy 😄

6 minutes ago, damo said:

Do you mind letting me know where you got this fact from?Thanks

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Do you mind letting me know where you got this fact from?Thanks

You can trawl through the seasons on London Hearts to get an idea of how it compares.

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Hahahahaha cheers saved me dredging up the poor games and the absolute drubbings. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

You can trawl through the seasons on London Hearts to get an idea of how it compares.

Doesn’t seem to split up home and away form unfortunately.

Nookie Bear
53 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Doesn’t seem to split up home and away form unfortunately.

True, you need to click on the season and it comes up then.

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ignore what you want.

You ignore the good home performances,unbeaten v hibs, and 3rd place finishes ( despite thinking we'd be lower last season and this season)so feel free to do what ever makes you most unhappy as that seems to be when your happiest.

Don't care about Hibs, just another 3 points. Dropping like a stone now and still predicting below third with Mr. Excuses in charge. 

NRH 

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Don't care about Hibs, just another 3 points. Dropping like a stone now and still predicting below third with Mr. Excuses in charge. 

NRH 

As I said, just ignore what you want.

I also think you're getting "predicting" and "hoping" mixed up.

"Dropping like a stone". :vrface:

From 3rd to 3rd.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, damo said:

Competitive home games this season won 11 lost 8 drawn  1

17 minutes ago, Nik5122 said:

Competitive home games this season won 11 lost 8 drawn  1

League games, our bread and butter...W10 D1 L3..scored 34 goals.  

On track to better last seasons ? Hats off to Robbie and the coaching team. :clap:

3 minutes ago, damo said:

On track to better last seasons ? Hats off to Robbie and the coaching team. :clap:

Glad you think the other games don’t count.

3 minutes ago, damo said:

Aye,cup ties and old firm games are irrelevant.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Cherry picking statistics to suit an agenda, surely something the self appointed real fans wouldn’t do 😱😆?!?!

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Cherry picking statistics to suit an agenda, surely something the self appointed real fans wouldn’t do 😱😆?!?!

I wouldn’t like to say…

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

According to the stats we have lost as many as we have won this season so far…that’s not including the European results.

Just now, Agentjambo said:

According to the stats we have lost as many as we have won this season so far…that’s not including the European results.

I'm confused (easily done). Where are the other 7 home defeats .

Losses to Killie (cup) and Celtic (cup).  

Just now, damo said:

I'm confused (easily done). Where are the other 7 home defeats .

Losses to Killie (cup) and Celtic (cup).  

Sorry I’m talking about home and away games…see as well as playing at home in the league…we sadly also have to play away in the league and wait for it ….two domestic cups and European competition.

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tynecastle has been brilliant this season,  best form in decades.

Goals in every game. 

Concerns about the away form quite rightly are  being raised.

Are You getting Tynecastle and ER mixed up?

See if you were either an Aberdeen,Hibs or Livingston fan and you were 4 points clear in 3rd would you be confident of finishing 3rd?

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Sorry I’m talking about home and away games…see as well as playing at home in the league…we sadly also have to play away in the league and wait for it ….two domestic cups and European competition.

Hate that eh 🤦🏽

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, briever said:

Interesting numbers.

Currently only 18% want him to stay - fairly damning.

Strange, best home form in decades allegedly 🤔😆?!?!

1 hour ago, briever said:

Interesting numbers.

Currently only 18% want him to stay - fairly damning.

Doesn't mean anything.  Same results as every previous poll every time we lose a couple of games.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

The home record thing came up specifically because someone wanted to “bring the fun” back to Tynie. 

6 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

And now away games it appears. 

As long as we’re good in 5 games at home a season eh….

Naisys Tackle
10 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

And now away games it appears. 

May as well take out every result against teams that we aren't favorites to beat too.  :( 

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

No point in going to away games. Seemingly they don't count any more. 

Neither did Killie in the League Cup.  Apparently concentrating on getting horsed in Europe by half time in the majority was the focus.  :(   Glad we lost to Zurich to avoid humpings in the Europa League too. 

An absolute excuse for everything.

Edited by Robbies Tackle

merseyjambo
On 29/03/2023 at 18:51, Led Tasso said:

Robbie didn't leave because of the plane flyers and "phoodle" pamphleteers, but how we did after Robbie left should have been a pretty clear sign of how up their own arse they were (and still are). That's thankfully a small number of supporters and the majority of those fed up with Robbie right now have more sound arguments, it must be admitted.

I agree that the bit in bold is the central question. I will continue to maintain that for significant stretches of the season, we have played interesting, enjoyable football from the 3-4-3 and that when we've had the right personnel healthy and the team have been engaged, it works very well for us. The supposed lack of the "right players" to play is in my opinion a misread of the way Robbie wants the system to work, and an expectation of the wingback position which is limited.

That doesn't mean we don't need a form change, but I think the reason is wrong. The team flat out didn't play for the jersey in Aberdeen, if we had, we would have been fine. If the team aren't playing for the jersey it often mean they don't believe in the tactics or formation the manager has put out. I don't think just moving the formation around will do any good whatsoever, no matter what shape gets picked, unless it re-energizes a sense of belief and purpose. (Despite all the mocking of the "belief" stuff from one poster on here, I think it's very important. It's just not something that you can decide you're going to add because you notice its missing, though, it's built organically.)

If the players themselves are annoyed at the 3-4-3, it needs a change, but only if they can get behind the change. If no change will get the players to play, then it's time for Robbie to go. The other stuff about tinkering, stubbornness, square pegs, and the rest is absolute guff IMO. Sorry to be blunt but I am sick to my gills of hearing about it as I think it's a combination of bad analysis and meaningless tripe.

No but a lot of the Neilson Defence Force claim that the reason was the Plane and Phoodle Out.

To play 343 you need a mobile midfield and wingbacks and that’s something we’ve not had. Im not quite sure I’d say that the football has been enjoyable. It’s been dysfunctional and unconvincing even though we’ve got the results.

As for the square pegs/round holes point, sorry but it’s something he does regularly. Just because Kingsley is tagged as a defender or Grant as a midfielder does not mean they are suited to the positions they are being asked to play.

Smirh/Kingsley - Not Wing Backs. Not got the engine

Grant - Supposedly an attacking Midfielder, not a workhorse in the middle of a 4

Shanklamd - Definitely better through the middle in the penalty box

Snodgrass - Doesn’t have the legs needed to play in a 343

Sometimes you have to pick your formation to suit the personnel at your disposal and it’s clear to see that the players we have are not suited to it especially away from home of against a team like Celtic. The midfield gets overrun and defence is immediately under pressure. The ball has to go sideways because our wingbacks are not wingbacks, they are more naturally suited to defensive roles and there is also a severe lack of movement from our forward players.

This weekend is huge for RN and Hearts. An away match at a ground where recently we have been pretty poor and the chasing pack with very winnable games. 

12 hours ago, karipidis said:

Beat Dundee Utd 4-1

Beat Aberdeen 5-0

Beat Hibs 3-0

Beat St Johnstone 3-0

So we beat a Dundee United side that either just had the Thursday before of were about to the Thursday after get absolutely pummelled by AZ. The same team that then went out and lost 9-0 to Celtic. 

An Aberdeen side that we had 5 shots on goal against and scored, who looked like they had given up trying for Goodwin, who then lost to Darvel before Hibs put 6 past them.

I’d also look at a little bit of revisionist history in the other games mentioned. Personally I thought the score lines against St Johnstone and Hibs flattered us a little.  Fairly sure St Johnstone hit the woodwork on a couple of occasions as did Dundee United when Humphrey’s scored from half way line. In the run after the World Cup, we rode our luck in a few games.

1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

No but a lot of the Neilson Defence Force claim that the reason was the Plane and Phoodle Out.

To play 343 you need a mobile midfield and wingbacks and that’s something we’ve not had. Im not quite sure I’d say that the football has been enjoyable. It’s been dysfunctional and unconvincing even though we’ve got the results.

As for the square pegs/round holes point, sorry but it’s something he does regularly. Just because Kingsley is tagged as a defender or Grant as a midfielder does not mean they are suited to the positions they are being asked to play.

Grant - Supposedly an attacking Midfielder, not a workhorse in the middle of a 4

Sometimes you have to pick your formation to suit the personnel at your disposal and it’s clear to see that the players we have are not suited to it especially away from home of against a team like Celtic. The midfield gets overrun and defence is immediately under pressure. The ball has to go sideways because our wingbacks are not wingbacks, they are more naturally suited to defensive roles and there is also a severe lack of movement from our forward players.

This weekend is huge for RN and Hearts. An away match at a ground where recently we have been pretty poor and the chasing pack with very winnable games. 

So we beat a Dundee United side that either just had the Thursday before of were about to the Thursday after get absolutely pummelled by AZ. The same team that then went out and lost 9-0 to Celtic. 

An Aberdeen side that we had 5 shots on goal against and scored, who looked like they had given up trying for Goodwin, who then lost to Darvel before Hibs put 6 past them.

I’d also look at a little bit of revisionist history in the other games mentioned. Personally I thought the score lines against St Johnstone and Hibs flattered us a little.  Fairly sure St Johnstone hit the woodwork on a couple of occasions as did Dundee United when Humphrey’s scored from half way line. In the run after the World Cup, we rode our luck in a few games.

Mate don’t let the truth get in the way of facts 🙂

We have rode our luck in far too many games. We give the opposition too many chances in games we should be comfortable in. 

Let’s see how the results go before the split. I’m not confident 

Watt-Zeefuik
44 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Kingsley wants to be an FB, I get that. But last season he played as a forward ranging LCH and was one of our best players there. Before coming here he was an out of favor English Championship player. He's played fullback a few times this season and hasn't convinced there or looked better than Cochrane. Why is the position he's excelled in most for us the "wrong" position?

Both Grant and Snodgrass are better as forward playing midfielders. But we've been gutted at defensive midfielders, and Kio hasn't stepped up to the role yet. They are playing out of position because we need defensive midfielders and don't have them. Why is that a mistake?

The hardest parts of Shankland's career have been when he was stuck up top and expected to create. He doesn't create chances with pace or take isolated defenders on one-on-one to create his chances. He poaches in the box and on the outside of it. The classic Shankland goal is someone else broke down the side and found him cutting in at the post or hunting in the middle of the box in space the defenders have dropped from. Ginnelly on the other hand has excelled as the forward-bursting striker. Why is it a mistake to play Shankland as a withdrawn striker?

On the wingbacks: last season our best football came when our wingbacks weren't playing as speedsters or bombers, but when they were reliable outlets when pressure built in the middle, and received passes either to retain possession or to push forward.

Robbie designed this 3-4-3 to work best with attacking CHs and wingbacks that act more as midfielders. It suited our personnel last season and hasn't worked as well this season because of injuries and because we've never been able to get a RCH that can replace what Souttar did for us in terms of creating danger by ranging forward. It hasn't helped that Kingsley's gone off the boil so much or that Rowles has had to play in the middle so much because of Halkett's absence.

We've recruited for four windows for the 3-4-3 now.

We've drilled on 3-4-3 for two seasons.

3-4-3 is the system that Robbie wants to instill.

We are third having primarily used a 3-4-3 for most of the season.

We have racked up a lot of points and goal difference using the 3-4-3.

I get that some folk don't like the 3-4-3. That doesn't mean we're playing it wrong. The problem at Aberdeen and Motherwell is that the players looked tired and listless and didn't put in a shift. If it takes a formation change to fix that and re-instill some energy, then we need a formation change. If it takes a manager change to get the players to get their heads up, then we need a manager change.

6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Kingsley wants to be an FB, I get that. But last season he played as a forward ranging LCH and was one of our best players there. Before coming here he was an out of favor English Championship player. He's played fullback a few times this season and hasn't convinced there or looked better than Cochrane. Why is the position he's excelled in most for us the "wrong" position?

Both Grant and Snodgrass are better as forward playing midfielders. But we've been gutted at defensive midfielders, and Kio hasn't stepped up to the role yet. They are playing out of position because we need defensive midfielders and don't have them. Why is that a mistake?

The hardest parts of Shankland's career have been when he was stuck up top and expected to create. He doesn't create chances with pace or take isolated defenders on one-on-one to create his chances. He poaches in the box and on the outside of it. The classic Shankland goal is someone else broke down the side and found him cutting in at the post or hunting in the middle of the box in space the defenders have dropped from. Ginnelly on the other hand has excelled as the forward-bursting striker. Why is it a mistake to play Shankland as a withdrawn striker?

On the wingbacks: last season our best football came when our wingbacks weren't playing as speedsters or bombers, but when they were reliable outlets when pressure built in the middle, and received passes either to retain possession or to push forward.

Robbie designed this 3-4-3 to work best with attacking CHs and wingbacks that act more as midfielders. It suited our personnel last season and hasn't worked as well this season because of injuries and because we've never been able to get a RCH that can replace what Souttar did for us in terms of creating danger by ranging forward. It hasn't helped that Kingsley's gone off the boil so much or that Rowles has had to play in the middle so much because of Halkett's absence.

We've recruited for four windows for the 3-4-3 now.

We've drilled on 3-4-3 for two seasons.

3-4-3 is the system that Robbie wants to instill.

We are third having primarily used a 3-4-3 for most of the season.

We have racked up a lot of points and goal difference using the 3-4-3.

I get that some folk don't like the 3-4-3. That doesn't mean we're playing it wrong. The problem at Aberdeen and Motherwell is that the players looked tired and listless and didn't put in a shift. If it takes a formation change to fix that and re-instill some energy, then we need a formation change. If it takes a manager change to get the players to get their heads up, then we need a manager change.

This post is far far too lengthy, laden with rationale and reasonable conjecture.

please shorten, include loads more hyperbole and at the very least exclamation marks. Perhaps interject  with suggestions players should run up and down large banks of sand, with a manager barking at them, and a proposal of a fresh poll 11 minutes into our next game v killie whilst we are losing 0-0.

5/10 Led. Must try harder.