Gary Lineker

The Hogfather

7 hours ago, RobboM said:

I do like to look at news outside our own wee bubble. This article from Le Monde tickled me for the automatic translation 🙂

image.png

In my experience, it is best that one does not pull away.  But if one must pull away, it is best that one does so with class.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• periodictabledancer

• JudyJudyJudy

• Dawnrazor

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It is saying the support of these people  for Gary was maybe something to do with  the fact that his company is a source of revenue for them. Possibly. 

What is the Mirror "insinuating" by devoting two pages and two very large headlines to his former (assuming the past tense means he has moved out) lodger's view of Gary.

But I will declare an interest. I hate Gary. The crisp adverts especially.

This whole story still comes down to two points for me. 

Is Lineker's criticism of Govt policy fair?  Are the BBC being controlled by the Govt?   

What you or I think about Lineker shouldn't matter.  

13 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

In my experience, it is best that one does not pull away.  But if one must pull away, it is best that one does so with class.

A famous Colemanballs (apparently actually Ron Pickering)
“Juantorena opens his legs and shows his class” 😂

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Is Lineker's criticism of Govt policy fair?  Are the BBC being controlled by the Govt?   

I am a bit more non binary on this one. I dislike both  the current government and Lineker.

And the issues are a bit less simplistic than your binary options. For what it is worth the answer to the first question is it doesn't matter what I think. He is free or should be to express his opinion. But his opinion carries no more weight because of who he is. And people are free to criticise his views. And on the second the BBC is not controlled by the government though it or its chairman/DG made a monumental mess of Linekergate. 

If you read a wider range of opinion you would know the right wing Tories are  FAR more critical of the BBC than the centre or left opinion. With some justification I think. 

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I am a bit more non binary on this one. I dislike both  the current government and Lineker.

And the issues are a bit less simplistic than your binary options. For what it is worth the answer to the first question is it doesn't matter what I think. He is free or should be to express his opinion. But his opinion carries no more weight because of who he is. And people are free to criticise his views. And on the second the BBC is not controlled by the government though it or its chairman/DG made a monumental mess of Linekergate. 

If you read a wider range of opinion you would know the right wing Tories are  FAR more critical of the BBC than the centre or left opinion. With some justification I think. 

You ducked the first question.  I accept you don't like Lineker.  Neither do I but he was on the button for me with what he said.  His opinion shouldn't carry any more weight than you or I but the reality is in the age of social media he has a very long reach.  And I agree that people are free to criticise his views.  You haven't done that though.  You have just gone for the man. 

And I do read a wider range of opinion.  even if I sometimes have to hold my nose doing it.  So I know fine well that the right wing don't like the BBC and they never have.  Much better to have the likes of Dacre and Murdoch controlling the narrative and they are putting enormous pressure on the BBC to toe the line or risk losing the licence fee.   

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The Telegraph yesterday reported that many of the broadcasters and celebrities who supported Gary during his recent trouble with BBC benefit from selling podcasts and films to Goalhanger a company in which Gary is the majority shareholder. Including Shearer. Wrighty Gabby Logan Stephen Fry. Alastair Campbell and a dozen more. Gary claimed to be almost moved to tears by their support. 

Meanwhile the Mirror today (I have catholic tastes in my reading material) continues the push for canonisation of Gary. "Britain should be proud of Lineker" quoting the refugee who Gary invited into his home and shared it for some unspecified time. He is "So proud of Gary's battle for humanity". Another disinterested supporter.

Ah well, that totally discredits him then, he must be wrong, and a ******. And he would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for that meddling Telegraph.

Edited by Smithee

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

OK on  the questions.  Yes. No. No ducking but not very enlightening.

And I think a multimillionaire saying he will give a voice to poor souls without a voice is a bit sick making. IMO. 

He could at least have also  said something about the rich *******s making a fortune out of people trafficking.

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ah well, that totally discredits him then, he must be wrong, and a ******. And he would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for that meddling Telegraph.

Where did I say any of that????

Francis Albert
22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You're not trying to discredit him?

Only when I think he deserves it. "Giving a voice to poor souls with no voice?" Something you should probably wait for others to say about you  There are lots of voices rightly giving refugees a voice apart from St Gary.

Edited by Francis Albert

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Only when I think he deserves it. "Giving a voice to poor souls with no voice?" Something you should probably wait for others to say about you  There are lots of voices rightly giving refugees a voice apart from St Gary.

Aye he's up himself, but really, so what? He was still in the right.

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aye he's up himself, but really, so what? He was still in the right.

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We agree Up himself. But on the right side.

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

OK on  the questions.  Yes. No. No ducking but not very enlightening.

And I think a multimillionaire saying he will give a voice to poor souls without a voice is a bit sick making. IMO. 

He could at least have also  said something about the rich *******s making a fortune out of people trafficking.

It doesn't matter whether he is a multi millionaire, hypocritical,tax-avoider or not. Was he right to criticise govt policy? 

And he was responding directly to a Home Office tweet showing a video of Braverman so I don't think it was necessary to get into criminal gangs. 

You don't like Lineker. That's fine. Neither do I but I still can't see why that makes his point invalid. 

The Mighty Thor
13 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It is saying the support of these people  for Gary was maybe something to do with  the fact that his company is a source of revenue for them. Possibly. 

What is the Mirror "insinuating" by devoting two pages and two very large headlines to his former (assuming the past tense means he has moved out) lodger's view of Gary.

But I will declare an interest. I hate Gary. The crisp adverts especially.

Maybe it was something to do with those individuals recognising the truth in what Lineker said. 

The photos of a braying Braverman in front of one-off her internment camps yesterday would suggest he's on to something. 

16 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I love the smell of Torygraph desperation ... It's like Animal Farm , "four legs good, two legs bad".... First he was the anti Christ now he's a "secret weapon".... :facepalm:

Boost

il Duce McTarkin
19 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Spot on.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

13% green?

WTF?!

I know ! They might no be as looney as the ones  up here though 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Maybe it was something to do with those individuals recognising the truth in what Lineker said. 

The photos of a braying Braverman in front of one-off her internment camps yesterday would suggest he's on to something. 

The full picture shows her sharing a joke with two Rwandan guides. The cropped picture showing her "braying" on her own in front of some buildings was posted by LBC's James O'Brien on social media and then of course spread wildly.

Dirty tricks. 

periodictabledancer
9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The full picture shows her sharing a joke with two Rwandan guides. The cropped picture showing her "braying" on her own in front of some buildings was posted by LBC's James O'Brien on social media and then of course spread wildly.

Dirty tricks. 

It doesn't look any better in the full image and why on earth it was ever released is unbelievable. 

In fact, if you look at the numerous pics and video clips widely available she seems to have zero awareness of the gravity of her situation currently and is frequently seen laughing and grinning like she's visiting her new holiday home. 

FFS , look at her.....

Edited by periodictabledancer

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Braverman: Knock Knock
Rwandan Guide: Who's There?
Braverman: Asylum Seekers!
Rwandan Guide: Asylum Seekers Who?
Braverman: Asylum Seekers who are going to be locked up in this facility
Braying laughter

Dirty tricks indeed

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Braverman: Knock Knock
Rwandan Guide: Who's There?
Braverman: Asylum Seekers!
Rwandan Guide: Asylum Seekers Who?
Braverman: Asylum Seekers who are going to be locked up in this facility

:lol:

It's the way she tells 'em.

The Mighty Thor
37 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Dirty tricks. 

Regardless of how many are in the picture the Home Secretary of this country pissing herself laughing in front of an internment camp is not a good look. 

The same 'cropped' picture was used by the Nazi's own roving brown noser Dan Hodges in a fairly scathing article 

It's not so much a case of dirty tricks but more one of absolute stupidity from a clown show government. 

Try walking a mile in them clown shoes.

40 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

It doesn't look any better in the full image and why on earth it was ever released is unbelievable. 

In fact, if you look at the numerous pics and video clips widely available she seems to have zero awareness of the gravity of her situation currently and is frequently seen laughing and grinning like she's visiting her new holiday home. 

FFS , look at her.....

She should be left in Rwanda for building brick bond for bond. 

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

She should be left in Rwanda for building brick bond for bond. 

My father in law will be turning in his grave.

Good spot. 😄

1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

My father in law will be turning in his grave.

Good spot. 😄

The Tory way. Build back bollox 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Dirty tricks. 

How the **** is it a dirty trick? 

She is using a shameful, divisive policy as a photo opportunity to show her target audience that she means business. 

I recall you said you don't like the phrase 'called out' so I'll put it another way. She deserves all the shite rightly coming her way. 

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

How the **** is it a dirty trick? 

She is using a shameful, divisive policy as a photo opportunity to show her target audience that she means business. 

I recall you said you don't like the phrase 'called out' so I'll put it another way. She deserves all the shite rightly coming her way. 

I am not supporting the policy.

But the cropped picture is a distortion. Instead of responding to something in her conversion with her guides  as the uncropped version suggests, she is shown alone gratuitously guffawing by herself at the prospect of incarcerating refugees on the building she is standing In front of. 

A cheap trick that for me detracts from the case against her and the policy. Why on earth do you need a dirty trick to make the case against?

Edited by Francis Albert

Jesus, the lengths some posters will go to, to argue black is white. Unable to just say Braverman is a horrible human being.

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But the cropped picture is a distortion. Instead of responding to something in her conversion with her guides  as the uncropped version suggests, she is shown alone gratuitously guffawing by herself at the prospect of incarcerating refugees on the building she is standing In front of. 

A cheap trick that for me detracts from the case against her and the policy. Why on earth do you need a dirty trick to make the case against?

The picture hasn't been altered so there is no dirty trick.

I don't have much of a view on the picture and it looks fairly innocent in itself but I have a very clear view on the reason the picture was taken. It's shameful and motivated to appeal to an audience who dont know any better. She could be reading or dishing out chocolate to a group of smiling toddlers and it would still be shameful IMO. 

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Jesus, the lengths some posters will go to, to argue black is white. Unable to just say Braverman is a horrible human being.

Racist imo.

On 19/03/2023 at 16:47, RobboM said:

The Telegraph first with the news! Jeezo , here's 8 days ago and Alastair Campbell firing back with both barrels

That lying creep should tell us where the ‘weapons of mass destruction’ are hidden. 

Nucky Thompson
27 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Racist imo.

It seems to be a trait amongst Scottish Nationalists :kirk:

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Jesus wept, it's hardly been photoshopped !

And the tories are good at that : when Shapps edited Lard Arse out of that "rocket" pic not so long ago . :lol:

Calm doon , man. 

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Suella doing Habitat for Humanity in her own unique way.  :laugh: 

Tories : building homes for homeless people. In Africa. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

Tories : building homes for homeless people. In Africa. 

Very caring Party. :10900:

i wish jj was my dad
11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

She certainly appears to be.

I'm not convinced she is a racist.  I just think she has found a conveniently unpopular community to vilify.  If she can shift the focus on to defending our borders the mob might forget exactly who took a wrecking ball to the economy.  

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'm not convinced she is a racist.  I just think she has found a conveniently unpopular community to vilify.  If she can shift the focus on to defending our borders the mob might forget exactly who took a wrecking ball to the economy.  

You would think from her background she would be more understanding of the situation. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You would think from her background she would be more understanding of the situation. 

For her personally, I think it is a lot less complicated than that.  She has personally benefited from the absolute shambles UKIP, the ERG etc created in the Tory party and found herself promoted way above her capabilities.  She has sussed that as long as she appeals to the more extreme in the party she is untouchable and she proved it when Sunak had to reinstate her. And when it all comes crashing down she'll get a cushy gig making eye watering sums on the back of being Home Secretary.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

For her personally, I think it is a lot less complicated than that.  She has personally benefited from the absolute shambles UKIP, the ERG etc created in the Tory party and found herself promoted way above her capabilities.  She has sussed that as long as she appeals to the more extreme in the party she is untouchable and she proved it when Sunak had to reinstate her. And when it all comes crashing down she'll get a cushy gig making eye watering sums on the back of being Home Secretary.

Fair points. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Korky said:

That lying creep should tell us where the ‘weapons of mass destruction’ are hidden. 

It certainly desperate measures if one is using Alistair Campbell as any kind of moral authority . Despicable human being . Him and his other western cronies ruined the Middle East 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Korky said:

23 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It certainly desperate measures if one is using Alistair Campbell as any kind of moral authority . Despicable human being . Him and his other western cronies ruined the Middle East 

And yet, he's right.

i wish jj was my dad

Another example of going for the man. Campbell's part in the Iraq war is iirrelevant. He was right about the BBC and lineker's comments about the UKG are still right. Stupid memes don't change that. 

The war in Iraq is for another thread. 

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Another example of going for the man. Campbell's part in the Iraq war is iirrelevant. He was right about the BBC and lineker's comments about the UKG are still right. Stupid memes don't change that. 

How far do you take line of thought ? Or in your opinion someone’s past is irrelevant just because they something you agree with ? 

Personally I think the messenger is just as important as the message. 

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

This.