Goal Of The Season (So Far)

Neverforgetfiveone

Neverforgetfiveone

After another 3-0 win yesterday with a couple of really fortunate goals… had a think about the really good goals we’ve scored this season.

I can’t remember Hearts scoring so many top class goals in one season.

The stand out and obvious goal is Stephen Humphries against Dundee Utd but there are a few others….. discuss (if indeed there is anything to discuss lol)

1. Stephen Humphries (Dundee Utd/Home)

2. Barrie McKay (St Mirren/Home)

3. Laurence Shankland (Hibs/Away)

4. Michael Smith (Aberdeen/Home)

5. Toby Sibbick (Hibs/Away)

My favourite so far is Smith's v Aberdeen but I think mist people will prefer Humphreys' long range effort.

Neverforgetfiveone
3 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

My favourite so far is Smith's v Aberdeen but I think mist people will prefer Humphreys' long range effort.

The ball from Sibbick - the control and the finish from Smith…. Any other season that’s the goal of the season 

Neverforgetfiveone

I’m not that tech minded lol - but feel free, or if you know anyone that’s good at that 👍🏼

tartofmidlothian

If we judge this on how many times it gets rewatched on YouTube, Humphrys is ahead for me and Sibbick a close second. The other three would be GOTS contenders any other year, especially Smith's, but I prefer Shankland's for where it was and what it meant.

Neverforgetfiveone
9 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

If we judge this on how many times it gets rewatched on YouTube, Humphrys is ahead for me and Sibbick a close second. The other three would be GOTS contenders any other year, especially Smith's, but I prefer Shankland's for where it was and what it meant.

Yup Loved that goal too, brilliant build up, great finish, brilliant for us and brilliant for him individually with the record 

16 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

It's a real quandary.

Humphreys picking up the ball at our box, shrugging off Djoum rather than going down (as Shankland was shouting for), ignoring calls from the bench to head for the corner and driving forward, then spotting the 'keeper off his line and scoring with his 'weaker' foot is unbeatable.

But, that cross from Sibbick and the way Smith controls with one foot and scores with the other is sublime.

Remember, Smith's finished according to some JKB experts. 😁

16 hours ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

The ball from Sibbick - the control and the finish from Smith…. Any other season that’s the goal of the season 

The clips below are  a joy. The twitter one from behind the goal from when Smith pick up the pass is superb.

16 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

This would be a great subject if there were video clips.

Agreed! 😁

Here are video clips of these two goals:-

I'll leave it for someone else to pick from the selection of fine team goals this season.

Hearts v Dun U

(Humphreys at 4:25)

Hearts v Aberdeen

(Smith from Sibbick at 00:50)

Smiths goal from a great angle.

https://twitter.com/JamTarts/status/1616005166242693122/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1616005166242693122&currentTweetUser=JamTarts

Edited by Wee Mikey

Having done numbers 1 & 4 on the OP's list, here's number 4:-

Hearts v St Mirren

(McKay at 00:20)

The move starts with us passing out from the back and ends with a glorious double 1/2 with McKay finishing with aplomb.

Aye, Bazza, who just strolls around wearing blue boots, apparently. 😁

21 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Sibbick goal

I could watch that all day. It looked good from the back of Section S. 

(number 5 on the OP's list)

20 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Shankland goal

Ditto this one. The look on Mcgeady's pus says it all. Cannae usually see that kind of detail live.

(number 3 on the OP's list)

Edited by Wee Mikey

Forrest's v. St. Johnstone, indeed any goal where the 'get it up the park, too passive' moans start....then 'get in there'

RustyRightPeg

Team goal is McKay. 

Individual goal is Sibbick. 

From a technique perspective, Humphrys. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Hearts v St Mirren

The move starts with us passing out from the back and ends with a glorious double 1/2 with McKay finishing with aplomb.

This one for me, cracking team goal and finish.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Team goal is McKay. 

Individual goal is Sibbick. 

From a technique perspective, Humphrys. 

I also liked our second against Dundee Utd (Cochrane) which was also a brilliant team goal. Slightly overshadowed by Humphries though!

A_A wehatethehibs

We score some great goals as a team including the weekend. 

But Stephen Humphrys goal from his own half is as true and pure of a strike of a ball worthy of a Puskas Award nomination because of his mentality in the build up. Just had a man sent off, possibility of a wobbly ending to the game, he picks it up, good defending, then cool as you like shrugs off 2 or 3 players and bang. “That’s in!” the second it left his boot.

It’s not just a goal from the halfway line it’s one of the most majestic ever stylish goals from the halfway line.

Neverforgetfiveone
17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

But Stephen Humphrys goal from his own half is as true and pure of a strike of a ball worthy of a Puskas Award nomination because of his mentality in the build up. Just had a man sent off, possibility of a wobbly ending to the game, he picks it up, good defending, then cool as you like shrugs off 2 or 3 players and bang. “That’s in!” the second it left his boot.

It’s not just a goal from the halfway line it’s one of the most majestic ever stylish goals from the halfway line.

It’s some goal, it really is, you’re right - he strikes it sweet as! 

Great effort to those who have managed to add the video clips, been watching them back…. It’s a really difficult one too pick a best because all the goals are different. Individual efforts, team build ups, end to end (Sibbick), Classy finishes and also a couple I’d forgotten about (Forrest and also McKay at St Johnstone)

Its a head scratcher right enough 🤷

Neverforgetfiveone
8 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Hearts v St Mirren

This is a brilliant goal…. The two 1-2’s, first with the right foot, second with the left and the finish is delightful 

avhudtheteeshirt

For me it has to be Smith's against Aberdeen, if that goal had been scored by Real Madrid, it would be seen all over Europe as a goal of the season!!!

Humphrys long range

Smith vs Aberdeen

Sibbick going full Gareth Bale against Hibs. 

Humphrys gets it for me. Vision and accuracy. The skill to take it on his weaker foot. Just a magnificent goal.

Credit to the full team though. We've scored a few great goals this season. 

On 05/03/2023 at 08:54, Neverforgetfiveone said:

After another 3-0 win yesterday with a couple of really fortunate goals… had a think about the really good goals we’ve scored this season.

The stand out and obvious goal is Stephen Humphries against Dundee Utd but there are a few others….. discuss (if indeed there is anything to discuss lol)

Shankland's penalty in Europe was unbelievable.

BervieJambo

The one that is constantly overlooked is Cochrane’s in the Dundee Utd match, obviously overshadowed by Humphreys, but a great move completed by a very well-taken finish and arguably more important as it puts us into the lead.

I still think it ranks behind Humphrys, Smith, Sibbick & McKay, but a very very good goal nonetheless.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The two folks I was with were just like myself. Despite having a ½ way line view we ended up debating where the strike was taken from.

At the end of the game we showed the first 2 goals on the big screens, but not Humphreys' 3rd. It was only when I eventually saw the telly that it became clear.

I could happily watch their 'keeper back-peddling and ending up in the back of the net on a loop all day long. Had that been Beckham (or whoever) then it would be getting re-played until eternity.

Defo within our own half so a genuine 55 yarder.

This year's POTY event will have to have some sort of extended highlights given the sheer quality of some of our goals this season.

They'll have to split it up as per @RustyRightPegas it's apples & pears ... and oranges!

There'll have to be a wee award for @Ricardo Quaresmafor coming up with this belter:-

Screenshot_20230306_111215_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

For me it has to be Smith's against Aberdeen, if that goal had been scored by Real Madrid, it would be seen all over Europe as a goal of the season!!!

That's our dilemma neatly summed up.

Had that been the only obvious candidate for GOTS, then nobody would argue otherwise. But we've been spoiled for choice. 😁

Apart from anything else, and apologies for repeating myself, but if you substituted De Bruyne for Sibbick, and Haaland for Smith, then that goal would be in contention for anything whatsoever that MOTD could muster.

Looking at it again, and again, Smith has his eye on the ball and does everything brilliantly.

Before I combust with praise, this season has a long way to go yet, so who knows?

But, if any goals we score between now and then match those highlighted on this thread then I'll be ecstatic.

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Humphrys long range

Smith vs Aberdeen

Sibbick going full Gareth Bale against Hibs. 

Humphrys gets it for me. Vision and accuracy. The skill to take it on his weaker foot. Just a magnificent goal.

Credit to the full team though. We've scored a few great goals this season. 

Yes! I like your Bale analogy. 👍

That Sibbick goal will be looked back on endlessly. The way he charged up the pitch leaving their players in his wake, and then chipped an ex-Scotland 'keeper?

How many times have we seen such chances fired straight at the goalie?

I absolutely ❤️ trips to Albion Place Stadium, so I do.

53 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

The one that is constantly overlooked is Cochrane’s in the Dundee Utd match, obviously overshadowed by Humphreys, but a great move completed by a very well-taken finish and arguably more important as it puts us into the lead.

I still think it ranks behind Humphrys, Smith, Sibbick & McKay, but a very very good goal nonetheless.

A well taken volley is always a joy. 😁

Just as an aside ...

I'm now imagining Linekar & co absolutely wetting themselves at any of these goals and coming out with the usual clichés & tropes such as, "That is a very special skill", or, "He has that in his locker", etc. etc.

We may very well never have a Sallah or a Bale in our squad, but each of these goals are comparable in their own right.

All we need now is a Kingsley special v Celtic like his one at Hampden v H1b5 to top it off.

Beat that? 😁

(The entire highlights are worth a look with Craig G doing his stuff, to name just one)

Kingsley @ 2:20

Edited by Wee Mikey

11 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

McKay goal at St Johnstone was a cracker

As was Atkinson's at Killie

Almost forgot about that one - thanks for the reminder! Cracking goal.

One that's not even been mentioned is McKay on opening day vs County, incredible skill. And his goal vs Utd where he cut inside & leathered it into the opposite corner.

Basically the recurring theme here is McKay only scores if it's a thing of beauty.

23 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Shankland's goal at ER was sensational. I just love him as a player. 

That's one of these ones that gets better on every viewing. Seeing it live from behind the goals was brilliant, but the TV angles are a total joy to behold. That lad has scored some fab goals, but that one takes some beating.

There are still many games this season for him to add to his goal tally.

The stuff he does whilst getting played where he has been recently is often under appreciated, methinks.

I'm hoping that "We've got DOOF DOOF Lawrence Shankland" rings out at Tynie in the upcoming 🏆 tie.

In decades to come when the fans in the pubs are discussing Hearts' greatest ever goal Humphrys will be in the conversation and that sets his effort apart from all the others mentioned here. It was a truly memorable moment, unique in my half century and more of watching the Hearts - a phenomenon.

Neverforgetfiveone
26 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

In decades to come when the fans in the pubs are discussing Hearts' greatest ever goal Humphrys will be in the conversation and that sets his effort apart from all the others mentioned here. It was a truly memorable moment, unique in my half century and more of watching the Hearts - a phenomenon.

Excellent point! 👏🏻

tartofmidlothian
8 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

It really is.

Who do we need to lobby with emails to get it in the running?

Naisys Tackle
7 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Shankland's goal at ER was sensational. I just love him as a player. 

His goal in the draw down there was just as good. 

On 05/03/2023 at 08:54, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Humphries is goal of the decade 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Gino’s against Aberdeen was excellent and Shanlands against Hibs in the cup is underrated.

McKay v St Johnstone and St Mirren also up there.

Cochrane v United a great team goal.