Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed

That thing you do

ScandinavianJambo
12 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Succinct, accurate.

I try my best lol. I'm no Levin hater but neither do I love the bloke. I think his time is over, but I suppose it is just part of Scottish Football's lack of imagination (recycle philosophy) if Dundee United wish to resurrect him.....

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

The Treasurer
9 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I try my best lol. I'm no Levin hater but neither do I love the bloke. I think his time is over, but I suppose it is just part of Scottish Football's lack of imagination (recycle philosophy) if Dundee United wish to resurrect him.....

It's not just in Scotland.

Down south whenever a managers job comes up it's the same wee clique of names that are always "in the running".

Every now and then a club takes a punt on some random unknown which usually ends in disaster, so they then turn to the "yellow pages" of unemployed managers to try and save them from relegation

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

You would probably enjoy that.

The reaction would be something,  but unlike many on here I want Hearts to win games.

16 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Not convinced Craig would take it though, after  his health problems.     He enjoys jousting with Michael Stewart on the radio too much. 😉

They've never jousted on the radio. More's the pity.

Instead it's bitter comments left hanging until the other one next lines up for Sportsound.

The Real Maroonblood
On 28/02/2023 at 09:11, buzzbomb1958 said:

A shit club deserves a shit manager 

Levein’s the perfect fit.

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Levein’s the perfect fit.

It's also a great opportunity for Levein.  After he relegates them he might well be tasked with getting them promoted next season.  He could bag himself a well deserved winners medal.

Edited by Randy Marsh

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Usually beat us by 3 or 4 goals, much to the chagrin of some of his longer term haters.

Probably most infamously was the game where Ibrahim Tall, selected at right back, was sent off early and the Frail/ Korobochka committee, couldn't get permission to adjust the team. Barry Robson with no full back in front of him, scored a very easy hat trick.

Miko was to fill in when Utd were attacking 😆, almost as bad as playing a limited RB at wingback at ER 🤦🏽?!?!

Nookie Bear
5 hours ago, Sooks said:

Their Barry Robson and Devries team caused us a bit of bother at least once . They beat us 0 - 4 at Tynecastle when we still had a lot of good Romanov era players in the team . We were a bit of a mess off the park though and I can not remember who our manager was , it would be like throwing darts at our manager Wikipedia page . It was at about that time that people started to crave a bit of organisation and structure in the dug out and behind the scenes and the way he had turned them around looked like a get set up from the out side looking in for many of us . It just never really translated in to some thing that worked at a bigger club really 

If i recall correctly that was a shocker. Jankauskas had thrown in the towel and the team was a shambles.

I may be getting dates mixed up but i think we went on to beat hibs at easter road the week after - the match they wanted to parade the diddy cup trophy and we ruined it.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If i recall correctly that was a shocker. Jankauskas had thrown in the towel and the team was a shambles.

I may be getting dates mixed up but i think we went on to beat hibs at easter road the week after - the match they wanted to parade the diddy cup trophy and we ruined it.

The 0-4 was indeed a shambles . Devries was not in that match if I remember right , may be had not signed for them yet but Robson played obviously . We had top players in our team like Aguiar and Velicka and even with Janny being a big huffy radge we should have had more than enough for them . Pospisil and Jankauskas up front . What a mess we were by that point 

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

It's also a great opportunity for Levein.  After he relegates them he might well be tasked with getting them promoted next season.  He could bag himself a well deserved winners medal.

👍

Also wastes lots of money which he is an expert at.

Naisys Tackle
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Asghar leaving would suggest that they are after a manager and a dof . May be Levein and Goodwin

Wonder if there would be a role for Cathro? 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

You would probably enjoy that.

What kind of Hearts fans would want us to get beat to be able to say we told you so, sounds familiar 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽?!?!

Tayside Jambo
16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Asghar leaving would suggest that they are after a manager and a dof . May be Levein and Goodwin

Shudder to think of that combo! Nothing against CL, despite his less than ideal second stint behind the scenes at Hearts.

Is Badloss going to get a turnaround from the players, or is he another who is going to pander to Mulgrew.

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Also wastes lots of money which he is an expert at.

There is always benefits to spending money in the murky waters of football, allegedly. 

Regarding some of the poor signings Levein made second time around , I suspect it was down to him not getting on with agents . He had preferred agents but I do not buy in to him doing that for any nefarious reasons . I think he was just frustrated at some of the total piss taker agents who would try and move on players and tell them not to sign new contracts in order to force the issue and he tried to kick back against it . Badly shallowed up our potential talent pool though . He trusted Colquhoun for example and probably felt confident he would not try and burn his fingers 

Just my own personal theory though 

23 hours ago, john thomas said:

You think he never signed good players ?

No, but most of his signings were dreadful.  It wasn't even hindsight. Aidy White retired from football with a badly broken leg.  Hadn't kicked a ball in 2 or 3 years IIRC and Levein gives him a 2 or 3 year contract.  Anyone could see that was madness.

The number of his "Projects" (Duds) signings that were clearly high risk, was ridiculous.     

Craig Levein’s chances of returning to management with Dundee United are now shrouded in major doubt.

Levein was sounded out about the post but quickly learned that the job may only be for the rest of the season.

The former Hearts and Scotland chief was interested in an SPFL comeback - either as coach or in an upstairs role.

However the length of stay makes it unattractive especially as United face relegation and an uncertain future.

Levein told pals he was willing to become involved if there was time to build something but the current job spec seems to be one for a short term fire fighter.

i wish jj was my dad
25 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Regarding some of the poor signings Levein made second time around , I suspect it was down to him not getting on with agents . He had preferred agents but I do not buy in to him doing that for any nefarious reasons . I think he was just frustrated at some of the total piss taker agents who would try and move on players and tell them not to sign new contracts in order to force the issue and he tried to kick back against it . Badly shallowed up our potential talent pool though . He trusted Colquhoun for example and probably felt confident he would not try and burn his fingers 

Just my own personal theory though 

I've no idea of where the snide innuendo has come from.  It's sad the lengths folk will go to discredit the guy.  He buggered up the gig.  Nobody is suggesting otherwise but no need to make stuff up FFS. 

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

I've no idea of where the snide innuendo has come from.  It's sad the lengths folk will go to discredit the guy.  He buggered up the gig.  Nobody is suggesting otherwise but no need to make stuff up FFS. 

Totally agree mate but unfortunately we have some total raspers in our support who clearly have deep emotional and personality defects . There are a couple on here who I honestly think need a wee bit psychiatric attention to get them back on an even keel . It is weird as **** 

ScandinavianJambo
4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

It's not just in Scotland.

Down south whenever a managers job comes up it's the same wee clique of names that are always "in the running".

Every now and then a club takes a punt on some random unknown which usually ends in disaster, so they then turn to the "yellow pages" of unemployed managers to try and save them from relegation

Perhaps, but there is something about the pool in Scotland being very, very limited, which does nothing for the game. Levine being punted as an option after the disaster caused at his last stint proves that point...

Heres Rixxy
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yup was a couple of weeks after but it was the late Zal winner. A few weeks after that we also went to Celtic Park and won 3-1 🤷‍♂️

The team vs Utd on paper was pretty good minus Linas...

Gordon

Tall

Zaliukas (Karipidis 68)

Berra

Goncalves

Mikoliunas

Aguiar

Pilibaitis

Driver

Pospisil (Glen 62)

Velicka (Jankauskas 46)

13 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

Yup was a couple of weeks after but it was the late Zal winner. A few weeks after that we also went to Celtic Park and won 3-1 🤷‍♂️

The team vs Utd on paper was pretty good minus Linas...

Gordon

Tall

Zaliukas (Karipidis 68)

Berra

Goncalves

Mikoliunas

Aguiar

Pilibaitis

Driver

Pospisil (Glen 62)

Velicka (Jankauskas 46)

Pili was a decent enough player tbh but he just fell victim to the Mad Vlad brigade . He and Ivaskevicius were decent imho

I think Pili actually might have scored one of the goals that rogered Rangers out of the champions league qualifiers and directly contributed to their death as a football club 

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Wonder if there would be a role for Cathro? 

He has a role. As first team coach with his long term mentor Nuno Espirito Santos at Al-Ittihad in Saudi Arabia, and who is still quoted for top jobs including English Premiership. He's not going to be an assistant at Dundee United.

Edited by Mikey1874

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

No, but most of his signings were dreadful.  It wasn't even hindsight. Aidy White retired from football with a badly broken leg.  Hadn't kicked a ball in 2 or 3 years IIRC and Levein gives him a 2 or 3 year contract.  Anyone could see that was madness.

The number of his "Projects" (Duds) signings that were clearly high risk, was ridiculous.     

Think about what Oshinawa, Sammon, Martin, Vanecek and Damour alone cost the club. At least we managed to shift Vanecek even though the due diligence clearly hadn't been done or was inept. The others we couldn't move with a crowbar which says a lot about what they must've been earning. 

Signings so bad it almost makes you wonder whether it was just poor recruitment alone. 

Naisys Tackle
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He has a role. As first team coach with his long term mentor Nuno Espirito Santos at Al-Ittihad in Saudi Arabia, and who is still quoted for top jobs including English Premiership. He's not going to be an assistant at Dundee United.

I wasn't really being serious. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yet he’s still out there, after so many clubs looking for a new manager down south? 

He is an arrogant man and he will want to show his ability as a head coach again so that job under CL may well tempt him. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Jim Goodwin is being considered by Dundee United after Craig Levein ruled himself out of a return to the manager's job.

Goodwin, 41, was sacked by Aberdeen in January following a 6-0 defeat by Hibernian. United are scheduled to host Aberdeen on Saturday.

Ex-Hearts and Leicester boss Levein, 58, managed United from 2006-09 before leaving to take the Scotland job.

Head coach Liam Fox left United after Saturday's 4-0 defeat by Ross County.

That result - a sixth straight defeat - left the club four points adrift at the bottom of the Scottish Premiership, albeit with a game in hand.

Former St Mirren player Goodwin was Buddies manager between 2019 and 2022 following a three-year spell in charge of Alloa Athletic, where he also played. The Irishman has won 107 of his

Naisys Tackle

Jim Goodwin is new Dundee United manager as ex-Aberdeen and St Mirren boss returns to the Scottish Premiership

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Jim Goodwin is new Dundee United manager as ex-Aberdeen and St Mirren boss returns to the Scottish Premiership

:rofl:
I hoped for a Neilson return.:10900:

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

Imagine being second choice behind Brechins football advisor 😆😂

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Ouch, plenty of time. 

Naisys Tackle
34 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Don't even joke mate.  Flies on shite springs to mind ;) 

To be honest its an ideal role for Goodwin. Backs against the wall this season, and if he retains the gig he gets a team where there are less expectations than at Aberdeen but are an upgrade on St Mirren.

Will be backing him to win his first game anyway.... 😉

Bazzas right boot

Cl in as DoF.

If it goes wrong for Goodwin the CL is just down the corridor. 

Craig Levein should have retired at Tynecastle after the 2019 Cup Final and his heart attack. It was a mistake to stay on and delegate the training to his coaches which - putting it mildly - did not work. If Zlamal stays on his line we win that final. Lennon had run out of ideas but was able to press the "Collum" button to turn that game. 

I think Craig now knows his health is what's important and media work is a nice cushy number - especially as an ex-International manager he has some standing in that. Those in the media who have never tried management will never understand the pressures of management.  If United did ask him I'd expect he declined the offer for the above reasons. I notice Kris Doolan was saying he is stunned by the pressures at Partick (and he's made a great start!).

Goodwin has something to prove and it'll be interesting to see how this week's game v the Dons goes.

Same old name’s regurgitated around the Scottish managerial scene, been the same way for years, it’s either a total lack of imagination when looking for coaches and managers, or any half decent ones have absolutely no interest in coming to Scottish football.

Carl Fredrickson

I think that Goodwin is a decent shout until the end of the season. If a takeover is on the cards it means the new owners arent lumbered with a manager they may not want. If Goodwin keeps them up the it is a feather in has cap but if they go down I dont think it will affect his reputation too much due to Utd being 4 points adrift. 

Hope they beat Aberdeen and then go back to being crap

• davemclaren changed the title to Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed