Kingsley - best position? ( edited )

Chimp

Stephen Kingsley is in my opinion the best LB we’ve had since Fyssas. Reading of the game is second to none and used to offer so much for us going forward. A proper class act.

In comes Cochrane, superb player and deserves his place in the team but consequently pushes Kingsley into a LCH. That is not his position. I don’t have the answer to suit both but it is very frustrating seeing such a good player being played out of position to accommodate someone else.

Another Tierney/Robertson situation but for me Kingsley starts at LB for me every day of the week, we miss him there.

• Chimp changed the title to Kingsley - Most wasted player we’ve ever had?
Pasquale for King

The problem of having good players and a squad, the manager has to choose his best team and not put square pegs in round holes. 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The problem of having good players and a squad, the manager has to choose his best team and not put square pegs in round holes. 

So if both are fully fit, who do you choose at LB?

Pauli Sergio 51
26 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Stephen Kingsley is in my opinion the best LB we’ve had since Fyssas. Reading of the game is second to none and used to offer so much for us going forward. A proper class act.

In comes Cochrane, superb player and deserves his place in the team but consequently pushes Kingsley into a LCH. That is not his position. I don’t have the answer to suit both but it is very frustrating seeing such a good player being played out of position to accommodate someone else.

Another Tierney/Robertson situation but for me Kingsley starts at LB for me every day of the week, we miss him there.

I agree to a point Cochrane has come in and done well at lwb howrever he lacks going forward and more often than not turns inside. With Kingsley at lwb you get a better defender going forward and he also gives you protection from set plays and a better delivery from crossing areas. Genuinely feel they would be better swapping places in the line up, or go four at the back. 
clark

smith sibbick rowles Kingsley 

Forrest devlin/ Halliday snodgrass ginnelly 

shankland     Humphrys

Just now, ShedBoy said:

I think kuol on Wednesday night might have come close to most wasted player? Hopefully we see the light on Saturday 👍🏻

Yeah true but that was (hopefully) a one off. Kingsley has played at LCH numerous times. Doing fine but nowhere near the standard he was last season at LB

pettigrewsstylist
59 minutes ago, Chimp said:

So if both are fully fit, who do you choose at LB?

Whoever is in form, not suspended, best suited for the opposition, best suited for the formation, etc etc, and you are allowed to straight swap during game if any above changes and its suitable.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

His absolute stinker on Wednesday aside, Kingsley at LCH has been one of our best players, has been a constant goal threat from the back line, and has been a big part of us playing so well over the past 1.5 years.

If that's wasting him, we need to waste more players.

The European game where Kingsley got injured and pulled his hamstring showed he doesn’t have the legs for lb. Last season he worked well with cochrane. At this time I would play rowles in front of him until his form returns 

Ricardo Quaresma

He's had a brutal season with injury, sure it's cost us points and not match fit yet

If it's difficult to fit him in today, he should replace Devlin, if he's still out

Most CBs should be able to do DM/CM in this league, sure Kingsley would slot straight in with no issues, but would obviously prefer Devlin to be back; getting a little anxious about how long he's going to be out for

We should have too much for them whatever line-up and formation, though

3 hours ago, Chimp said:

Yeah true but that was (hopefully) a one off. Kingsley has played at LCH numerous times. Doing fine but nowhere near the standard he was last season at LB

Kingsley played LCH last season.  

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

His absolute stinker on Wednesday aside, Kingsley at LCH has been one of our best players, has been a constant goal threat from the back line, and has been a big part of us playing so well over the past 1.5 years.

Absolutely spot on. Bizarre thread.

2 hours ago, karipidis said:

Only bizarre thing here is that you can’t see that Kingsley is better on the left than in the middle.

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

constant goal threat from the back line? please explain…

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

constant goal threat from the back line? please explain…

As someone said above - a bizarre thread. Anyone watching Kingsley over the last 18 months wouldn’t need any explanation. 

Robbie has overthinked, undertrained and made him play in triangular boots.

Its all the Devil incarnates fault.

7 hours ago, Chimp said:

If Kingsley starts at LB where does Cochrane start?

Kingsley is a brilliant player, however since he's been out we've managed a run where our defence was good. He hasn't played well in the games he's been back so why shoehorn him into a defence by moving players who are playing well out of position? Absolute madness imo.

• davemclaren changed the title to Kingsley - best position? ( edited )
Sub4TiddlerMurray

Hill (Rangers game aside) looks to a strong addition to our back line on the right hand side. He adds more balance there and should always be pencilled in.

But, rather than an either or with Cochrane, I have said before that I’d love to see Kingsley step forward into midfield. Cochrane looked lost when switched there against the Huns but I think Kingsley would’ve been a much better fit there. He’s a baller, great vision and fantastic under pressure (again, Rangers game aside).

PhoenixHearts

To be honest it's maybe not an ideal time to be having this discussion. He shouldn't be in the starting XI right now (in my opinion)

His recent downturn in form isn't because Cochrane is depriving him of playing his favoured position nor is it some tactical error of Neilson's doing. He is as competent player at LB in a 4 (2020-21) as he was as a LCB in a 3 (2021-22).

Rather his struggles of late have been entirely down to a simple loss of form from a multitude of injuries preventing him from getting a decent and consistent run of games. Most recently being his concussion (from which in my humble and incredibly amateur opinion he has not yet recovered fully).

It's almost an open and shut case. He's been up and down this season. Truth be told even before he was healthy he perhaps wasn't as incredible as last season. (Still good as he has a high floor) 

Luckily he is a fantastic player and he absolutely has it in him to improve his form and reassert himself as a fixture on the team sheet.

I just don't believe he has done enough to warrant a place in our backline at the expense of Rowles, Cochrane or Sibbick. Not right now.

I would personally swop him and Cochrane around. Kingsley LWB, Cochrane LB. The reasoning.

Kingsley has more pace than Cochrane and can beat a man. Would look to going forward more than Cochrane.

To many times Cochrane gets the ball at the halfway line and instead of running with the ball into the space in front of him, he plays a pass backwards.

The reason he does this is because he knows he lacks pace.

Kingsley doesn’t have the pace (or maybe it’s trepidation of something snapping that stops him going full pelt) to play LB. Even in the Championship he got turned too easily by quick players. LCB is a natural trajectory for him and he’s performed well there - but only to be trusted playing there in a back 3. I don’t want him as a CB in a back 4, and in a back 3 I don’t want to see him CB or RCB - only LCB.

Because he started his career LB/LWB, he doesn’t have the positional awareness or heading ability to be a proper CB (he also is the worst culprit for ball watching and lack of marking, although others get it tighter than he does for some reason) He needs someone more aligned to that role next to him. At least two in fact. He’s fine to fill in at LB or LWB, and will do a job most of the time, but unfortunately due to his injury history he’s lost a few yards of pace that prevent him being as effective there as Cochrane is and can be.

He’s still a great player for us that offers a lot from LCB, but we have to be honest about his limitations.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Just now, John Findlay said:

I would personally swop him and Cochrane around. Kingsley LWB, Cochrane LB. The reasoning.

Kingsley has more pace than Cochrane and can beat a man. Would look to going forward more than Cochrane.

To many times Cochrane gets the ball at the halfway line and instead of running with the ball into the space in front of him, he plays a pass backwards.

The reason he does this is because he knows he lacks pace.

Kingsley has more pace than Cochrane? Really?

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Yes he does. Watch them more closely than you do.

Dick Dastardly

What i like with having Cochrane and Kingsley on the pitch is that they can swap position between them. Both should play every game, imo. 

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Kingsley’s hamstring popped v RFS the last time he attempted a sprint down his line.  Was out for 9 games. 

But folk want him to do this more often. #wasted. 

A_A wehatethehibs

LCB 

When fully fit and sharp. Definitely get a sense he has been affected by the minor traumatic brain injury he’s just back from, hopefully he’ll improve with more game time 

3 hours ago, karipidis said:

That’s a bit harsh. Discussing the best position of a player who plays a couple of different positions is a reasonable topic. 

He was great at LCB last season but he’s not been so good lately. A run in the side will see him back to his best imo. I think he’s good in both positions and wouldn’t want Cochrane dropped from Wing back. 

21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes he does. Watch them more closely than you do.

Can’t say whether you do or don’t (or why you would be so sure of such a thing), but can’t say I’ve ever seen Kingsley and thought pace being a major attribute

22 minutes ago, CMc said:

Kingsley’s hamstring popped v RFS the last time he attempted a sprint down his line.  Was out for 9 games. 

But folk want him to do this more often. #wasted. 

Yeah, it’s got to the point I fear this anytime he galavants up the pitch. Which is why LCB makes more sense. But unless he learns the cornerstones of CB play, he needs to be in a back 3 so he’s more effective on the ball for us in possession etc than he is defensively.

EDIT: But right now he needs to be on the bench and earning his spot, as Hill, Sibbick and Rowles has been the most solid looking defensive team we’ve had for some time.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Bench at the moment, the defence was doing great without him and he’s been poor since he came back. 

Not as clear cut as that. Hill has only played about 2-3 games whereas Kingsley is a known top quality operator.

Hill-Sibbick-Rowles vs Sibbick-Rowles-Kingsley is our choice of back 3 atm. My money is on the latter for today 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, CMc said:

Stats for Kingsley at CB last season (where he played the vast majority of his games Alex played 26 games at LB last year). #wasted. 

1E6AE761-3399-477A-A18E-D4624DCE98CF.jpeg

FF40948E-7804-4308-9AA7-A8530663A57E.jpeg

This stuff is great.

Kingsley is in a weird spot right now, Rowles is so incredibly one footed that playing him central in a back three just makes him look awkward, playing Sibbick out on the right means that he's not going to catch players running in behind and make important tackles, in general we're making the rest if the defence look worse by trying to fit Kingsley in.

2 hours ago, Chimp said:

Only bizarre thing here is that you can’t see that Kingsley is better on the left than in the middle.

I think his best position is LCB as shown by his brilliant performances last season. He is certainly not playing out of position, just not playing very well. 

22 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s a bit harsh. Discussing the best position of a player who plays a couple of different positions is a reasonable topic. 

He was great at LCB last season but he’s not been so good lately. A run in the side will see him back to his best imo. I think he’s good in both positions and wouldn’t want Cochrane dropped from Wing back. 

When I posted my response the thread title was ‘Kingsley - Most wasted player we’ve ever had?’ 

2 minutes ago, karipidis said:

When I posted my response the thread title was ‘Kingsley - Most wasted player we’ve ever had?’ 

Crikey😂. Apologies for the criticism.

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, karipidis said:

I think his best position is LCB as shown by his brilliant performances last season. He is certainly not playing out of position, just not playing very well. 

This is the thing. Folk are only on about the last 2-3 games. Kingsley has 2 seasons as one of the best players in a hearts jersey to point at. He had a Scotland cap only a couple of months ago. 

Definitely agree he looks out of sorts atm, disrupted season I personally put it down to the head knock. It’s a concern.

But at his best, a fully fit fully sharp Stephen Kingsley is one of the first names on the team sheet for his quality delivery, playmaking composure on the ball when he steps forward and also his potential for those sublime free kicks which he has in his locker including the very biggest games we’ve had in recent seasons at Hampden. He is a big game player, we hope to be back there at the business end and those are the games we need a sharp Stephen Kingsley for. Hope he can get on track 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Drylaw Hearts

Unfortunately someone has to miss out regardless of the formation.

Rowles is our LCB and it’s between Kingsley and Cochrane for LWB. This is one little area of the team where I think rotation wouldn’t hamper us.