Very encouraging words from Csaba

Ryan Gosling

Charlie-Brown
They are created by playing with they type of players. Pressley played with leaders like Gough, Brown and McCall. Craig Levein learned from Sandy Jardine.

Ritchie developed under Bruno. We need to sign a couple of experienced professionals so that some of the young players can learn from them.

Your idea is fine but you need basic talent there as well. I very much doubt we have a Jankauskas or Skacel in our squad but would love to be proved wrong. I am confident team tactics, technique and all round awareness will improve under Csaba but some of the players will never be good enough.

I agree WatH that we could do with some more experienced players but we also need to develop the leadership qualities of some of the existing players - more than a few of them already played alongside the likes of Pressley & Hartley etc. Last season Michael Stewart & Karipidis started to show some leadership qualities but these need to be encouraged & developed and in Stewart's case his energy & passion needs to be channelled much more productively.

I'm not saying we do have a Jankauskas or a Skacel in our squad but our players need to learn from them and do some of the good things they did to help the team, Lee Wallace has to think about how Fyssas played, the strikers need to learn how to hold the ball and play in others like Jankauskas could and which nobody has done effectively since, Glen & Driver (if he stays) need to learn how to make similar runs & create shooting opportunities like Skacel did....and improve their shooting etc. That is what I meant. :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JamboRobbo
I think (and hope) Csaba will attempt to do more improving than replacing - of course some new players will come in and some will leave, but we need to teach our own players how to play like Skacel & Jankauskas & Fyssas and how to do the things they did - if we only bring in hired guns like them but learn nothing from them then all that's left is some wonderful memories but no lasting legacy or improvement in the team.

I realise it's not a popular opinion and takes longer and people would prefer to see more instant solutions to team building ie buy some really good players right away which is fine but after they are gone will we be any further forward?

Where are team leaders & quality players created? they must be developed somewhere?

They are born with natural talent which is then developed. It's not a system that makes them like robots. I think thats one of the bits that Vlad fails to understand.

its satisfying to have a after match speech where the manager says what is actully wrong rather than SF "we have to work harder...they tried their best and cant fault them."

Would agree with that.

Bit more -

He doesn't want the players, especially the young ones, to worry about making mistakes right now. You have to learn from them.

Another pleasing comment.

Encouraging words indeed - as someone else said, its kinda what i'd hoped he'd say and definately fits in with what we've all been saying / reading / hearing on here for the last couple of years.

The big thing now is how he acts on these words, or indeed how Vlad LETS him act on these words.

Francis Albert

So it fills me with glee that he is tolerent with mistakes as they allow a player to develop. patentice is needed with development not expecting young players who will never make mistakes.

It would help if some fans recognised this too.

Charlie-Brown
They are born with natural talent which is then developed. It's not a system that makes them like robots. I think thats one of the bits that Vlad fails to understand.

Fyssas & Skacel & Jankauskas did have exceptional talent JR however our younger players like Wallace, Glen, Driver etc do have a decent level of ability & skill but they need to be taught & improved.

The Dutch have systematically & consistently created high quality players & teams for about 40 years now, at a much higher average than their 15 million population should be expected compared to much higher populated countries like England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia, Poland etc.

Seymour M Hersh
Absolutely. They had worked together on getting players in before.

Given that Lazlo has never brought in players ... who will he get advice from? Korobotcha? VR?

Not any more they don't (and i meant well before Burley came to the Scotland job).

I should imagine after 14+ years in coaching/management he'll have some contacts around. He is going to appoint his No.2 this week who may well be someone with a good network. You just seem to be finding it really hard to gibe the guy a chance.

Not any more they don't (and i meant well before Burley came to the Scotland job).

I should imagine after 14+ years in coaching/management he'll have some contacts around. He is going to appoint his No.2 this week who may well be someone with a good network. You just seem to be finding it really hard to gibe the guy a chance.

Well, I hope that the system has changed and he gets it right for Hearts. I haven't enjoyed the mess of a management system and the results it has brought in the last 2 years.

Plenty seem to think that something has changed. Despite the fudged answers to the 'who will pick the side' stuff which ended with a committee will design the horse statement on the press conference. Despite dropping the 'full responsibility for first team' on the 'introduce the manager' statement on the website. Despite the apparent mistakes on Lazlo's managerial record on the Hearts website and his lack of management success in the past. Despite Lazlo never bringing in players in his managerial career. Despite Lazlo's lack of knowledge of Scottish football. Despite last year's set up on the field last night. I don't think anything has changed. I hope I'm wrong on this, and look forward to him proving me wrong this season.

happy jambo

I agree with a few posts on this thread reguards positions needed to be filled to strengthen the team , but I think the new managers biggest decision is , Do I change my captain ? is he a leader of men ?

In my opinion the answer is YES change the captain , he is a good player but I feel he is not a leader of men .

His next question to ask is who to I give it to ?

Michael Stewart , Karapidis or a new signing ?

I leave that question to my fellow kickbackers .

I agree with a few posts on this thread reguards positions needed to be filled to strengthen the team , but I think the new managers biggest decision is , Do I change my captain ? is he a leader of men ?

In my opinion the answer is YES change the captain , he is a good player but I feel he is not a leader of men .

The side needs a new spine.

A dominant goalkeeper, a dominant centre half, a ball winning and organising central midfielder and at least 2 strikers. Captain should come from amongst that lot of necessary new signings.

Fyssas & Skacel & Jankauskas did have exceptional talent JR however our younger players like Wallace, Glen, Driver etc do have a decent level of ability & skill but they need to be taught & improved.

The Dutch have systematically & consistently created high quality players & teams for about 40 years now, at a much higher average than their 15 million population should be expected compared to much higher populated countries like England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia, Poland etc.

I agree with some of your comments, and I agree with a lot of other posters comments.

One thing I'll take issue with you on is the benefits of having exceptional talent in your squad.

Yes coaching is crucial - and by default you seem to be accepting that the fact our current players need coached to be better (which I agree with) provides some evidence of the fact they have suffered from a chronic lack of competent coaching over the past 2 season

But players do not only improve from good coaching.

They improve from learning from others.

You can learn from leaders. But you can also learn from exceptionally talented players.

It is no coincidence IMO that Elliot's best form at the club was when Janny was here. In fact, I am sure I remember him saying that you can't but improve when you are picking up daily tips from someone of that quality.

It is no coincidence that Hartley's striking of the ball improved when his buddy Rudi was around. His corners and free kicks went up in quality several notches as the season went on, and I am certain he will have picked up tips from Rudi

Its about a balance isnt it?

At least one leader if not two in the squad. They dont even need to be excellent players. Competent leaders will be more beneficial to the team than someone with talent that only turns it on when it suits them (eg Nade)

But there is absolutely nothing short sighted about bringing in 2 or 3 players with exceptional quality

What is short sighted is dealing with your leaders and your exceptional talent in a contemptable way. What is short sighted is dismantling the coaching structure and system in which they thrive.

You cannot hold up Rudi, Janny and Takis as examples of why we shouldnt sign such players.

You should hold these players up as the sort of quality that we can get at Hearts, the sort of quality that once here we should be striving to ensure we get full value from by having the correct footballing structure in place

Csaba has spoken a VERY good game so far. He has said some obvious things (the quantity not quality mantra has however been trotted out by Valdas, Elvis and Gordon over the past couple of seasons without being listened to by Vlad), but he has also said some things that I havent heard a manager of Hearts say since Burley

Probably because we have not really had a manager since Burley

Bottom line is that Csaba needs to be allowed to exert his influence. He needs to be listened to by Romanov and it simply cannot be the case that Csaba details the type of player he needs for Romanov to be solely responsible for chosing a player that fits the description. Romanov's judgement on most things football is SO woeful that that would be a relative disaster.

The first thing we need to happen is for this meeting with Romanov to take place this week, and for it not to be postponed for no apparent reason (as Romanov's meetings with football staff in the past appear to have been).

The side needs a new spine.

A dominant goalkeeper, a dominant centre half, a ball winning and organising central midfielder and at least 2 strikers. Captain should come from amongst that lot of necessary new signings.

Agreed. The only point you missed out is that we need to get rid of 10 dross players to accommodate them and leave room for youngsters to develop.

...I'm not saying we do have a Jankauskas or a Skacel in our squad but our players need to learn from them and do some of the good things they did to help the team, Lee Wallace has to think about how Fyssas played...

This is one of the most important points. The young player has to have a level of intelligence that allows him to learn. If you have the footballer equivalent of the guy in the back of the class who stares out of the window for the whole lesson, then he's going to learn feck all.

Can anyone really say that Lee Wallace is a better player post Takis?

Can anyone say that Callum Elliot is a better player post Jankauskas?

I get the impression that the latest bunch of Hearts youngsters has a lot of bright guys who will improve greatly with good coaching and would come on leaps and bounds with a couple of experienced pros in the team.

Agreed. The only point you missed out is that we need to get rid of 10 dross players to accommodate them and leave room for youngsters to develop.

Yes, would agree with that. Again, will the new manager be allowed to return the likes of Ksnavicius and Ivaskevicius to Kaunas?

Charlie-Brown

I didn't say we shouldn't sign Jankauskas, Fyssas, Skacel etc but simply buying some great players isn't enough - also we never had players of that quality before and the reason was we couldn't / can't really afford them - we couldn't really afford them when we had them either and we were simply storing up financial problems for ourselves - living way beyond our means....as Chelsea are doing now......great while it lasts but it isn't sustainable by normal means.

Basically we have to learn how to become better, at playing, at coaching, at creating good players & good teams. Self improvement. That is the only thing that is sustainable and will bring any lasting improvement.

Yes, would agree with that. Again, will the new manager be allowed to return the likes of Ksnavicius and Ivaskevicius to Kaunas?

Maybe, but they are footballing boomerangs, they'd be back within the week...

I didn't say we shouldn't sign Jankauskas, Fyssas, Skacel etc but simply buying some great players isn't enough - also we never had players of that quality before and the reason was we couldn't / can't really afford them - we couldn't really afford them when we had them either and we were simply storing up financial problems for ourselves - living way beyond our means....as Chelsea are doing now......great while it lasts but it isn't sustainable by normal means.

Basically we have to learn how to become better, at playing, at coaching, at creating good players & good teams. Self improvement. That is the only thing that is sustainable and will bring any lasting improvement.

Doesnt look as if we are disagreeing then?

2 or 3 players of real quality, 1 or 2 leaders, the balance of the squad taken from current first teamers with youth players forming a proportion of that.

Everybody benefitting and improving from good coaching

Players learning from the leaders and the higher quality talent

We dont really have consistently quality talent so IMO we need a minimum of 3 new signings (1 leader, 2 real quality) to start to get the balance right

Personally, I think we need around 7 signings to really challenge for europe but I see where we are, and accept that we will not get what most of us want.

Charlie-Brown
Doesnt look as if we are disagreeing then?

2 or 3 players of real quality, 1 or 2 leaders, the balance of the squad taken from current first teamers with youth players forming a proportion of that.

Everybody benefitting and improving from good coaching

Players learning from the leaders and the higher quality talent

We dont really have consistently quality talent so IMO we need a minimum of 3 new signings (1 leader, 2 real quality) to start to get the balance right

Personally, I think we need around 7 signings to really challenge for europe but I see where we are, and accept that we will not get what most of us want.

We will get some new players although some will probably leave as well.

Last season we managed to put 4 past Rangers, Aberdeen & Falkirk in the SPL at Tynecastle as well as win at Celtic in the cup for the first time in 4 decades, even Frail managed to get a run of victories against Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell & Dundee United.....we need Csaba to bring out more of the good our players are capable of and cut out the bad things and address their worst traits and faults.

Levein & McGhee showed it is possible to take badly performing teams & squads much higher up the SPL with minimal changes and Motherwell & United had finished much lower than we had.

True words because at the end of the day you can only p**s with the c**k

youv'e got.

Not to be taken the wrong way (i.e. I'm not suggesting our squad is full of cocks), but isn't it the case that Vlad has the wherewithall to get Csaba as many new cocks as he wants?

Guest JamboRobbo
Not to be taken the wrong way (i.e. I'm not suggesting our squad is full of cocks), but isn't it the case that Vlad has the wherewithall to get Csaba as many new cocks as he wants?

True. It does appear Vlad has an unlimited supply of cocks that he can send over at short notice whenever they are required. :)

Nelly Terraces

Good stuff fae Shabba. Right on the money, and refreshing to hear the truth at last.

Give it another coupla matches and he'll realise that most of the players on our books are no more than average and a whole lot of them are needing punted asap. Beats Fail saying 'the lads gave me everything' 'they work really hard', after we've just been beaten by Gretna & St Mingin.

I've paraphrased as there's some stutters etc. but the general idea:

'I don't like quantity, I like quality. There is a lot of quantity and not enough quality. We want an experienced quality player for every position, and we need a leader. The players don't talk on the field. They are too quiet. They can't hear each other across the field.'

'I want to make some proposals to Mr Romanov about new players, at the moment in some positions we have a problem'

'We must be better tactically, I want better movement, but it's ok for the first game'

"I'm not dissatisfied."

"We tried the new tactic tonight, 4-2-3-1."

Didn't take him long to make a "diagnosis" or come up with a cure, did it?

You think he'll be allowed to ship out the duds? Bring in his players? Instill discipline to the club?

Or will he have signings foisted on him? Be undermined when he tries to discipline players? Have to retain all the bricks from the very very very bottom of the pyramid?

Imo Karapidis has neither the skill nor the personality to be captain.Michael Stewart I can,t make up my mind about.What do other Kickbackers think?

Chad Sexington
Imo Karapidis has neither the skill nor the personality to be captain.Michael Stewart I can,t make up my mind about.What do other Kickbackers think?

I think if Csaba wants a forceful, vocal, inspirational captain like figure, he's going to have to buy one, because there are none at the club at the moment.

Guest JamboRobbo
Good stuff fae Shabba. Right on the money, and refreshing to hear the truth at last.

Give it another coupla matches and he'll realise that most of the players on our books are no more than average and a whole lot of them are needing punted asap. Beats Fail saying 'the lads gave me everything' 'they work really hard', after we've just been beaten by Gretna & St Mingin.

Agree Nelly. It's a breath of fresh air having a manager say the stuff that has blatantly been wrong at our club for a couple of years at least. Finally, we appear to have someone in charge who appears to know what he is doing. At the very least, he is saying all the right things, although I guess the proof will be in the results.....

Guest JamboRobbo
I think if Csaba wants a forceful, vocal, inspirational captain like figure, he's going to have to buy one, because there are none at the club at the moment.

Agreed. Lets hope his judgement is backed.

For now, I'm just delighted to finally have a manager who recognises the fact that we need such players in our team.

There would be a LOT of resistance to that on JKB

Personally, IF we cant get a good leader in, or Vlad wont sanction such a transfer (Romanov usually punts such characters/leaders out of the club) Stewart is the only player at the club that has the vocality and experience to take on that mantle IMO

And I know a large chunk of fans have an issue with him, but I feel the captaincy would allow Michael to channel his energy better

He is a Hearts fan, he loves the club and I reckon he would take the title very seriously. You often see Michael as the club representative doing a lot of the charity stuff / kids visits.

It may just be the making of him

Cue, quite a lot of vitriolic opposition

Personally, IF we cant get a good leader in, or Vlad wont sanction such a transfer (Romanov usually punts such characters/leaders out of the club) Stewart is the only player at the club that has the vocality and experience to take on that mantle IMO

And I know a large chunk of fans have an issue with him, but I feel the captaincy would allow Michael to channel his energy better

He is a Hearts fan, he loves the club and I reckon he would take the title very seriously. You often see Michael as the club representative doing a lot of the charity stuff / kids visits.

I do not agree, at the moment, but if he sorts out his fitness, discipline, and 'I use to play for Manchester United' attitude, then perhaps.

Chad Sexington

You wont get vitriolic opposition from me on that one JT.

Theres definitely an argument that Stewart would make a better captain than Berra.

I would like to see a really inspirational figure brought in though because neither Mikey or Berra truly inspire me TBH.

He sees it how it is - any dumb*ss could see it

I seen it 2 years ago, the fat Lith is blind to it tho

mon shabba!

He sees it how it is - any dumb*ss could see it

I seen it 2 years ago, the fat Lith is blind to it tho

mon shabba!

Who's the fat Lith?

I certainly don't think MS is the answer either. He seems to lack self-control. When things aren't going his way he loses his temper very quickly and doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, usually resulting in pointless bookings and ultimately suspensions. Not the sort of attributes I'd look for in a club captain nor someone young players could look up to.

sandyseymour
If we lack leaders then the players with leadership qualities need to be encouraged and promoted and their leadership skills developed.

The same with quality - the players need to be taught how to play effectively together and bring out their best qualities.

As an analogy - buying a calculator might make your answers to calculations more accurate but it doesn't improve your mental arithmetic skills - it may even make them worse.

Buying in solutions to these problems doesn't attack the root of the problem and merely postpone's solving it, Hearts players & team needs to taught how to impove themselves. that way we will see real progress. Is Csaba the man to do this? who knows? I guess we will find out.

Hopefully we fans and Vlad will give him more than 4 or 5 games to prove himself. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear (and we have plenty of the latter on the playing staff at the moment), so he'll definitely require 3 or 4experienced, quality players albeit a short term fix, if Hearts are going to compete this year. :welcome:

You wont get vitriolic opposition from me on that one JT.

Theres definitely an argument that Stewart would make a better captain than Berra.

I would like to see a really inspirational figure brought in though because neither Mikey or Berra truly inspire me TBH.

Completely agree with that

Guest JamboRobbo

On commitment, experience, energy etc I tend to agree JammyT. There no faulting his effort/commitment. And to honest, I don't even doubt his talent.

The problem is, he needs to cut out the "playing utterly ****e" bit of his game. Which happened way to regularly last season. And perhaps, as captain, he could tell himself to stop taking the corners and free kicks? :P

Chad Sexington

The problem is, he needs to cut out the "playing utterly ****e" bit of his game. :P

:laugh:

In my opinion nobody currently in the squad should be Hearts captain. If we are to make only a couple of signings one of them should be not only be a key player who when fit will play virtually every minute of every game but also the leader and captain we so clearly need.

Michael Stewart should never, under any circumstances, ever be allowed to take any free kicks or corners again.

Terrible delivery.

Guest JamboRobbo
Michael Stewart should never, under any circumstances, ever be allowed to take any free kicks or corners again.

Terrible delivery.

If he wants to practise by himself down the park in his own spare time, then each to their own. But other than that, I agree. :smile:

He shouldn't be wasting anyone elses time practising them at HMFC training though, and he certainly shouldn't be going anywhere near them in matches.

I am pleased with these comments.

If he had came out and said something like "..this is a good squad of players and I look forward to working with them" I would have been a little concerned. He has came out and publicly put out the message that he WILL recommend players to VR. Whether or not we sign players outwith the pyramid now is telling. I would actually be quite pleased to see us sign a Ugandan or a Hungarian purely as it would point towards Lazslo being the architect of the deal.

I have to say I never take friendlies results seriously, manys a time we have seen clubs play minnows and win handsomely yet fail to put that into competitive results. Draw, win or lose, not fussed, I am simply glad that he has had the wool pulled over his eyes by a misleading big friendly win.

Guest Maroon Carpet

When the meeting takes place next week with Romanov I am hoping that Vlad listens carefully when Laszlo tells him he wants to keep Berra and Driver.

I have always thought that the way forward is to reject bids for our quality players, I know every player has his price but...........

Say What Again
It can work well if you have 2 excellent wingers, an attacking midfielder and a striker who can play with his back to goal and hold the ball up well.

While I wouldn't go as far as 'excellent', the best suited team I've seen to this set-up was Mowbrays Hibs.

Riordan/Sproule/Brown/Killen

Jimmy McNulty

His experience managing a team with no money will only be a good thing IMO. Would love to see him bring in some quality players for peanuts, whom we can offload to the EPL for millions down the road :)

They are created by playing with they type of players. Pressley played with leaders like Gough, Brown and McCall. Craig Levein learned from Sandy Jardine.

Ritchie developed under Bruno. We need to sign a couple of experienced professionals so that some of the young players can learn from them.

Your idea is fine but you need basic talent there as well. I very much doubt we have a Jankauskas or Skacel in our squad but would love to be proved wrong. I am confident team tactics, technique and all round awareness will improve under Csaba but some of the players will never be good enough.

Excellent post. Charlie's comments are well-taken also. I think a David Weir-type would do us well. A couple of experienced pros, who could do a limited but effective job but show the younger players what it takes to be a professional at this level. This is why, for all his shortcomings, we were a better team with Pressley in the side.

Are there a couple of clever, inexpensive, veteran buys out there who could help stablize the team, in the Sandy Jardine/Jimmy Bone sort of mold?

Archived