Biggest Hearts Flop?

Alan_R

If you define a 'flop' as someone from whom much was expected, but delivered little, then I can't believe nobody has mentioned Dennis Wyness yet.

He scored for fun with ICT, I was delighted when we signed him, and when he was paraded with Paul Hartley I thought he was by far the better prospect. How wrong can you be? PH went on to become one of our best players and a full international, while DW hardly scored a goal for us and sank without trace.

Who was the biggest 'reverse flop' - as in someone we thought would be rubbish but turned out to be great? A much smaller category, but PH would certainly be up there. Pressley would be another contender, and Niemi was widely regarded as a failed Hun when we signed him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest hearts flop? - There have been a few that have been big disappointments over the years - Bobby Kemp signed from St Johnstone to replace Willie Wallace and couln't - Willie Pettigrew big name signed to score goals and lead us back to the top - a bitter disappointment, - but really Besliga must ranks as the biggest flop in recent history - on decent game and then nothing!

Biggest flops in chronological order Musemic, Petric, Tomascek, Beslija, Pinilla

Guy was rank but hero in a certain derby :)

:107years:

I seem to remember a certain Davie Cooper was never as good when he played against Zico:)

this statement is almost as mythical as the hobos flair football, I remember plenty of other players having a field day against Zico

If you define a 'flop' as someone from whom much was expected, but delivered little, then I can't believe nobody has mentioned Dennis Wyness yet.

Just beat me to it Doc. I can't believe it's taken 50 posts until someone named this imposter either. A disaster of a player who got way more chances than he actually deserved. One of my most hated players we've ever had. A nightmare.

Miller Jambo 60
97310945v4_240x240_Front.jpg

ZICO ZICO ZICO! :)

Nowhere near the worst - a leg end, not a kn*b end.

He put the boot in

And crossed the ball for the 1-0 in Austria.

Biggest flops in chronological order Musemic, Petric, Tomascek, Beslija, Pinilla

Not having that. :(

Petric, Beslija and everybody else that signed in January 2006.

What was the name of the Lithuanian goalie? I still think he was just a builder who did a good job building Vlad's patio, so VR got him a game with Hearts.

One game he was just missing the ball all the time, ended up getting sent off. Possibly the single worst display I've seen by anyone in a Hearts shirt.

Eduard Kurskis

Flops?....Let's see, could be here for quite a while!! Ok, here goes.....Andy Watson, Colin McAdam, Billy McKay, Malolm Murray, Stuart Gauld, Mark Gavin, Adrian Boothroyd, David Hagen, Stewart McLaren,Gregor Stevens, Paul Cherry, Jim Cowell,Davie Kirkwood,Husref Musemic, Derek Ferguson, Graham Hogg, Steve Penney, Peter Van de Ven,Ally Mauchlen, Nicky Walker, Jim Weir, Justin Fashanu, Craig Nelson, Brian Hamilton, Fraser Wishart, Hans Eskilsson, David Winnie, Paul Smith, Jeremy Goss, Darren Beckford, Mo Berthe, Fitzroy Simpson, Kevin Twaddle, Joe Hamill, Stephen Simmons, Dennis Wyness, Gordan Petric and, of course, all of the imposters we know about since Vlad took over. (i'm sure i've missed a few!!)

I knew within 20 minutes that Ian Baird & Leigh Jenkinson were mince - Darren Beckford too - you can tell by a players body movement & ball control (or lack of) if they are a player or not, sometimes younger players can be nervous in their early games but these guys were lower English league journeyman pro's and were what they were.

Klimek, Beniusis, Pilibaitis, Kurskis. No explanation required.

I P Knightley

Who was the biggest 'reverse flop' - as in someone we thought would be rubbish but turned out to be great? A much smaller category, but PH would certainly be up there. Pressley would be another contender, and Niemi was widely regarded as a failed Hun when we signed him.

I believe the technical term is a "Stiffy"

Biggest reverse flop? the only two i can think of at the moment are Pressley and Hartley, I remember when we signed Pressley, i was at work, it came over on the radio, i was cursing and shouting sayin Rangers reject, failed at Coventry and was crap at Dundee Utd amongst other things, same with Hartley, screaming that i didn't want some wee Hibby reject in my team and he was only good enough for the 1st division, well... we do get things wrong occassionally!

scott herbertson

Roddy McDonald, Steve Fulton, Dave McPherson

Both Mcdonald and McPherson were regarded as not good enough for the OF but did well with us. I thought Fulton's weight indicated someoe who wouldn't give a ....

Craig Levein and Andy Webster boith provoked some comment on why we were buying up players on the cheap from the lower division (and Levein brought the same kind of comments when he came as manager).

You could say that John Robertson on his return was a very risky investment - mucho money, a stomach hernia op and failed to make the grade down South...

Petric

Beslija

Jose G

Pinilla

Makela

Sickening the amount of cash we wasted on that five.

Paisley Jambo

Difficult one this. :confused:

Do we go just on being crap or do we so look at how much we paid?

If we include money I would go for Brian Hamilton. Did we pay about ?300,000 for him in the mid 1990's?

Just for being crap, Andy Watson.

Paisley Jambo
Roddy McDonald, Steve Fulton, Dave McPherson

Both Mcdonald and McPherson were regarded as not good enough for the OF but did well with us. I thought Fulton's weight indicated someoe who wouldn't give a ....

Craig Levein and Andy Webster boith provoked some comment on why we were buying up players on the cheap from the lower division (and Levein brought the same kind of comments when he came as manager).

You could say that John Robertson on his return was a very risky investment - mucho money, a stomach hernia op and failed to make the grade down South...

All fantastic. :) :) :)

Sandy Jardine from Rangers. What a great 5 years we got. Henry Smith, made his blunders, but what goalie doesn't. Just look at two clowns across the city. :) :) :)

Robbos Right Peg

Only left Hearts due to some personal issues.

Back to thread topic - biggest flop at Hearts - Vladimir Romanov.

AKA shaggin the bird from the ticket office:)

Jimmy McNulty
Walter Kidd, even now he has some of you thinking he was any good

I'd take him in our team right now. A solid player who gave 100% every game. Can't believe his name has appeared on this thread....

Jimmy McNulty

Sandy Jardine from Rangers. What a great 5 years we got. Henry Smith, made his blunders, but what goalie doesn't. Just look at two clowns across the city. :) :) :)

The two clowns from across the city couldn't lace Henry's boots.

Yup, he made some mistakes, and some admittedly in big games, but he was a great servant to the club, and we got him for cheap (free?).

Robbos Right Peg
The two clowns from across the city couldn't lace Henry's boots.

Yup, he made some mistakes, and some admittedly in big games, but he was a great servant to the club, and we got him for cheap (free?).

Yep from Leeds

Mark De Vries

_38190543_devriesgoal300.jpg

It's not that he was a bad player, far from it, it's just that after his Home debut the remaining 88 games of his Hearts career were doomed to be a bit of an anticlimax.

chester copperpot

Value for money = Defo Pinilla as the flop.

Then:

Petric

Then:

Loads more.

siegementality

Pinilla by a mile. The flop of flops, he took more money out of Hearts than 50 other flops put together.

Not sure why you are so angry (unless because he came from Rangers ;))

He was very poor value for money - scored 6 goals in over 100 games in midfield and most people I know thought he did not play well for us. He was our record transfer at the time and we sold him after 5 years for a loss of ?450,000.

A flop in my opinion.

but you have to agree, he is the better of the Ferguson brothers :P

ManjimupJambo

In my lifetime for money spent Vs what we got for our money i would have to say Petric and Beslija closely followed by Pinilla. Pinilla doesn't make the top because he showed glimpses of promise. Beslija showed nothing and is stealing a wage and Petric had plenty opportunities to shine and failed miserably.

His goals per game ratio

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/aaplayersbygoalsavg.html

places him just below Donald Ford and above the likes of

Mark de Vries

Willie Gibson

Derek OConnor

Drew Busby

Jim Hamilton

Gary McSwegan

to name 6

Whilst not brilliant I don't think he was a 'flop'.

Must admit I liked Pettigrew but he seemed to be stuck with a bunch of useless teammates. I got frustrated watching him make really intelligent runs into space which were never picked up on by his colleagues.

Guest JamboRobbo
I knew within 20 minutes that Ian Baird & Leigh Jenkinson were mince - Darren Beckford too - you can tell by a players body movement & ball control (or lack of) if they are a player or not, sometimes younger players can be nervous in their early games but these guys were lower English league journeyman pro's and were what they were.

So how come you cannie see it with Zaliukas then?

As for flops, I agree with you. Petric, Pinilla, Beslija. I'd add Makela, Barassa and Nade. Because they cost us a lot of money either in transfer fee or wages, and gave us nothing in return.

peebles jambo

the 2 players that i thought flattered to decieve were

1 jeremy goss

2 derek fergusson

i was over the moon when we signed fergie, but i thought he was crap, apart from the semi at darkheid against the huns, he was brilliant that day, although we still got beat

Johanes de Silentio

This topic used to be a riot when we were talking about the likes of Brian Hamilton, Jeremy Goss, etc, but the current situation with Beslija, Pinilla, etc is beyond a joke to be honest.

Having braying donkeys in our current squad isnae acceptable given the huge sums of cash paid out to these imposters!

's true, tho', innit?

Al.

This topic used to be a riot when we were talking about the likes of Brian Hamilton, Jeremy Goss, etc, but the current situation with Beslija, Pinilla, etc is beyond a joke to be honest.

Having braying donkeys in our current squad isnae acceptable given the huge sums of cash paid out to these imposters!

's true, tho', innit?

Al.

Agree wi you UA concerning the 'current wasters'. I can remember some from the distant past. Rene Moller ( scores goals for fun they said ) still waiting on that fat danish porker doing that !!, Ernie Winchester, effin hopeless and i can recall a lot being expected from a Jim Townsend. There have been a good few others no doubt, these are some that stick in my mind.

Stefan Paille.

He was on a big wage for us at the time, was a junky, before he hoined us, and then after. He too was never fit, if I remember correctly, the day he got picked for a random drugs test, he only lasted a few minutes in the match and that was despite being caught having taken a performane enhancing drug. Mkles you think how poor he would have been without them.

Willie Pettigrew

Derek Ferguson

Gordan Petric

for the money paid for them/ hype before they arrived they rank right up there.

When a player has injuries or is just not selected like Beslija/ Pinilla for much of their time with Hearts then they don't count as a 100% flop for me - by the same measure you could judge Robert Tomashek and Neil McCann (second spell) as flops but it was not their fault. The three I have named played quite few games and did not deliver value for their wages IMHO

Would have to question that one.

DF for me was ahead of much of the team he played in.

pinilla

cost more per minute than a private sitting with girls aloud in the buff

It's amazing what you can find out on price comparison sites these days

I'm sickened by the amount of money we've wasted on Beslija and Pinilla. Fitzroy Simpson and Petric are right up there too.

maroonedinoz

Ernie Winchester.

going back a bit know but he came from Aberdeen much heralded, and I thought he was gash.

Guest JamboRobbo
Stefan Paille.

He was on a big wage for us at the time, was a junky, before he hoined us, and then after. He too was never fit, if I remember correctly, the day he got picked for a random drugs test, he only lasted a few minutes in the match and that was despite being caught having taken a performane enhancing drug. Mkles you think how poor he would have been without them.

On the other hand, he performed not to badly when he was on the park in a Hearts jersey, which is more than can be said for some of the imposters we've had of late.

loveofthegame

Some people have got the word 'flop' all wrong in my book-

A flop isn't someone who is just crap. A flop is someone who much was expected of due to reputation and/or cost a fortune and/or was on silly wages.

So naming players like Miko, Zico, Hans Eskillson is wrong in this thread imo.

For flops I have to agree with many on here- look no further than a)our record signing Beslija b)Pinilla- 12k a week, 1/2 owned by Inter Milan, and played about 10games in 2 years

I'd also say Jankauskas flopped in his 2nd season. In the games he played in his 1st season he has to go down as 1 of the best players i've ever seen in a Hearts strip. I expected more of the same from a player who was capable of ****ing all over the SPL. But that 2nd season- reputation was there as he was a Champs League/UEFA Cup winner, was paid a fortune, and was permanently injured and if he wasnt he looked completely and utterly disinterested. I remember all the rumours that he'd skipped training to go and watch a Chelsea match without asking permission too- wouldn't surprise me.

Petric should be pretty near the top too. I'll never forget that waste of space for his miss against Stuttgart

tartofmidlothian

The player I have the worst memories of is Mo Berthe, after watching us that day at Dens and thinking relegation was a certainty. Thank **** for Mickey Cameron and Darren Jackson.

But under loveofthegame's definition, above, I'd say Pinilla and Beslija. And Kurskis, if you want to just use the word 'flop' as meaning 'really crap player'.

scott herbertson
Some people have got the word 'flop' all wrong in my book-

A flop isn't someone who is just crap. A flop is someone who much was expected of due to reputation and/or cost a fortune and/or was on silly wages.

So naming players like Miko, Zico, Hans Eskillson is wrong in this thread imo.

For flops I have to agree with many on here- look no further than a)our record signing Beslija b)Pinilla- 12k a week, 1/2 owned by Inter Milan, and played about 10games in 2 years

I'd also say Jankauskas flopped in his 2nd season. In the games he played in his 1st season he has to go down as 1 of the best players i've ever seen in a Hearts strip. I expected more of the same from a player who was capable of ****ing all over the SPL. But that 2nd season- reputation was there as he was a Champs League/UEFA Cup winner, was paid a fortune, and was permanently injured and if he wasnt he looked completely and utterly disinterested. I remember all the rumours that he'd skipped training to go and watch a Chelsea match without asking permission too- wouldn't surprise me.

Petric should be pretty near the top too. I'll never forget that waste of space for his miss against Stuttgart

Agreeed

that is why I named Derek Ferguson in my choice - not because he was a poor player - far from it. It's just that we paid a Club record transfer fee for him at a time we were struggling financially, and his contribution did not match the money shelled out, IMO

Guest JamboRobbo
Agreeed

that is why I named Derek Ferguson in my choice - not because he was a poor player - far from it. It's just that we paid a Club record transfer fee for him at a time we were struggling financially, and his contribution did not match the money shelled out, IMO

At the same time, his contribution was a lot more than our curret club record transfer fee has managed. :P

To be honest, I don't see why DF gets much stick. quality player, who always gave his best IMO.

Big hans esskilson(sp) must be in there somewhere sure he was a freebee but he was dyer!

remember robbo doing all the work on his debut and big hans pretty much smashing it in from 1 yard!

Stefan Paille.

only thing i can remember about him was a game against the :hobofish:, when yogi rubbed Paille's hair and he went down as if he had been shot.

thehibsareintheirbeds

surely ibby tall deserves a mention.....maybe not totally his fault but came with a good reputation, huge wage and then hardly played due to various reasons. even when he did get into the team he only ever seemed to have the odd good game.....

beslija undoubtedly top of the flops though

What 2 , they have had that many:- Budgie, Leighton, Goram, Zibby, Big simple Simon Brown, McNeill & MA-KALAMITY. :) :)

only thing i can remember about him was a game against the :hobofish:, when yogi rubbed Paille's hair and he went down as if he had been shot.

Paille did score one absolutely fantastic goal away against Motherwell.

His best work was in Indigo Yard though:dribble:

Archived