What did you buy with your first pay cheque/packet?

Angel eyes

il Duce McTarkin
23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And probably she paid out double to you both, all week.

Never received a penny in cash from my old dear after starting work at 11 years old delivering papers in the mornings, afternoons, Sundays, and working 2 evenings a week washing dishes in the local restaurant that my mum also worked in.

2 quid an hour I got for working in the kitchen, so 16 quid a week for my two shifts. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, obviously. It was basically child labour, but the work ethic and appreciation of money that it gave me has been good for me over the years.

The tenner a week I paid in digs was well worth it for bed and board, though, and at a third of my YTS weekly wage it drilled in to me that life doesnae come on the cheap. A good deal and a great lesson all round. Thanks mum.

henrysmithsgloves
12 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Me too, except it was bus fare from Gilmerton.  And a match day program.

A program??? Rub it in rich kid🤣🤣😎👍😉

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You don't suffer from Tinnitus, do you, by any chance?

28c20e91193d2cadae9d39ab5cd65e15

Bizarrely I do, badly. When I say that film the bit where he takes out his earphones my missus went “aw I get it now”. As I stared at the telly wondering what I was supposed to be hearing. She had to explain it to me. 

As far as I can remember my first week's wage in 1970 was £5 odds. I probably gave my old man £1 or £1.50 dig money and the rest was mine. Somehow I ended up playing 3 card brag and pontoon with some guys I vaguely knew and lost the lot. A valuable lesson was learned that day and I haven't gambled since. The week after, I bought a new fishing reel. It was great to be able to go and buy something without having to save up or get it for Xmas. Just for comparison, in these days you could go out with £1 and have 4 or 5 pints and get a fish supper on the way home.

2 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Never received a penny in cash from my old dear after starting work at 11 years old delivering papers in the mornings, afternoons, Sundays, and working 2 evenings a week washing dishes in the local restaurant that my mum also worked in.

2 quid an hour I got for working in the kitchen, so 16 quid a week for my two shifts. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, obviously. It was basically child labour, but the work ethic and appreciation of money that it gave me has been good for me over the years.

The tenner a week I paid in digs was well worth it for bed and board, though, and at a third of my YTS weekly wage it drilled in to me that life doesnae come on the cheap. A good deal and a great lesson all round. Thanks mum.

My ma' took a tenner from my YTS for digs too. 😁

il Duce McTarkin
8 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

My ma' took a tenner from my YTS for digs too. 😁

Not a bad deal in hindsight. 🤔

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

She did my ironing. It was the best of times. ❤️

I feel short-changed now.

1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

I feel short-changed now.

She also found and binned an excellent collection of scudmags so swings and roundabouts I guess. 💔

SectionDJambo
56 minutes ago, 1953 said:

As far as I can remember my first week's wage in 1970 was £5 odds. I probably gave my old man £1 or £1.50 dig money and the rest was mine. Somehow I ended up playing 3 card brag and pontoon with some guys I vaguely knew and lost the lot. A valuable lesson was learned that day and I haven't gambled since. The week after, I bought a new fishing reel. It was great to be able to go and buy something without having to save up or get it for Xmas. Just for comparison, in these days you could go out with £1 and have 4 or 5 pints and get a fish supper on the way home.

Happy days! My first pint, in 1972, cost me 16p. I can still remember the furore when the price of a pint hit £1. Almost torches and pitchforks.

First job gave me £16 a week wages to spend on lunches and bus fares to Edinburgh, with a wee bit left over for going to see Hearts and a Saturday night in the local pub.

How do people remember these things? 

I remember having to give my mum and dad 50 quid a week digs, that's for sure. 😂

Edited by Greedy Jambo

10 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

A program??? Rub it in rich kid🤣🤣😎👍😉

Oh yeah! At two quid a week I was rolling in it.

I even had a Pac-a mac.  Do you remember them?  A coat made of very thin plastic that was folded up and carried in your coat pocket.  When the inevitable rain started, out came the Pac-a-mac and it stopped you getting a drookin'.  No Shed in those days.

Fun times.  :rofl:

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Oh yeah! At two quid a week I was rolling in it.

I even had a Pac-a mac.  Do you remember them?  A coat made of very thin plastic that was folded up and carried in your coat pocket.  When the inevitable rain started, out came the Pac-a-mac and it stopped you getting a drookin'.  No Shed in those days.

Fun times.  :rofl:

Indeed I do,soaking legs where the pac a Mac stopped and soggy feet😳🥺😅

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Think it was 50p a pint when I first went to clubs / pubs .

Jeez I remember paying that in the ex. Polish servicemen's club in Falkirk 😅 could never remember how I got home though,only stayed about 50 yards and a spiral staircase with no lights ,to my then flat:drunk:

10 regal were about 70p when I left school. 20 were a pound odd. The price of cigs now. :vrwow: And the government is skint. Cigs, Bevvy, Fuel, Energy, Food prices and the government is skint. And people still need proof that they are hopeless.

henrysmithsgloves
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

10 regal were about 70p when I left school. 20 were a pound odd. The price of cigs now. :vrwow: And the government is skint. Cigs, Bevvy, Fuel, Energy, Food prices and the government is skint. And people still need proof that they are hopeless.

Was that the wee regal🧐

2 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Was that the wee regal🧐

KS. Wee regal were a waste of money. It was two bob for a single. Its now about a fiver.

henrysmithsgloves
18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It was two bob for a single. Its now about a fiver.

Reasonable price for a fish- Mickey Flannigan 😉

Left school 31/5/79. Started work for Bon Accord soft drinks on the 4/6/79 out of their Dryden Street depot. Wage was between £24-£27pw. A tenner went to my mum as dig money. To this day still the best tenner ive ever spent.

Left Bon Accord 31/8/79 and joined the Royal Navy on the 4/9/79 at Hms Raleigh, Torpoint Cornwall as a Junior Radio Operator 2nd class(JRO(2)).

Getting £30 a fortnight in my hand after having to salute and shout 263X SIR and holding out my left hand for the money to be placed in. You saluted with the right hand.

That was over 43 years ago now. I cant remember what I bought.

My first ever pay cheque was £37 for the month, much less than my 2 paper runs (that's wage + tips) which amounted to £15+ per week. Probably bought a lump of hash and beer. 

Edited by Marvin

9 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Indeed I do,soaking legs where the pac a Mac stopped and soggy feet😳🥺😅

Haha.  That's right.

henrysmithsgloves
25 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Haha.  That's right.

It's turning into one of those threads😅

Edited by henrysmithsgloves

My very first pay packet was spend on bus fare to Bathgate then as many blues and reds as I could afford and drink at Room at the Top that £30 could buy me :lol:

On 29/12/2022 at 22:55, Konrad von Carstein said:

Aha, my first wage came from there too, 40 years or so ago...

The princely sum of £18.50 in 1979.

The big strike was still on-going. A few weeks later it went up to £22.50.

Cant remember exactly, but at Xmas we got a big back dated pay, over £100.

Felt like a millionaire :lol:

Certainly don't remember what I spent it on.

Twenty Embassy, the dogs bollocks of tabs. And a Ronson Varaflame which could throw a flame a foot in the air. Joys of being 16.

On 31/12/2022 at 09:21, Mysterion said:

First purchase after first wage - a copy of Shine 5 on CD. 

A tremendous compilation.

I had every single one of those but lost them during a house move

:seething:

On 31/12/2022 at 15:17, henrysmithsgloves said:

Boring trivia time. The classic Hovis advert was directed by Ridley Scott. And it wasn’t filmed ‘up north’ as it looks but in Shaftesbury in Dorset

Edited by Tazio

henrysmithsgloves
45 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Boring trivia time. The classic Hovis advert was directed by Ridley Scott. And it wasn’t filmed ‘up north’ as it looks but in Shaftesbury in Dorset

The hills real isn't it?

1 minute ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

The hills real isn't it?

Yep. Called Gold Hill I think. I only know this as friend was brought up there. Then she ran off to London as soon as she turned 16. 

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Yep. Called Gold Hill I think. I only know this as friend was brought up there. Then she ran off to London as soon as she turned 16. 

She would have got a good speed start going down that hill😳

First proper job was Scottish Provident in St Andrew Sq, so first pay day was celebrated with a lunchtime Fopp raid in Cockburn Street for a selection of shoegaze/noise vinyl. 

First overtime pay packet was used to buy a Les Paul, which was sadly sold at a low ebb several years later. Stupid ****.