What did you buy with your first pay cheque/packet?

Angel eyes

Ferranti Robertson Avenue.  Went straight up to the Royal Bank of Scotland at Shandon and opened an account and paid in my circa £50 wages.  An account I still have now and have my wages paid into.  37 years ago.  

When I spent some money it was probably on Big Country or U2 records and shit sportswear by Lacoste,  Ellesse and Fila.

Beer, followed by two single records from a wee record shop in Longstone, near the Longstone Inn.

On £24 per week, I was left with loads to play with.

il Duce McTarkin

Paid a tenner digs, a half quarter, 10 Regal kings, packet of Rizla, box of Scottish Bluebell matches, and a bottle of Irn Bru.

YTS wages didn't go far.

Magic the gathering first edition cards and boosters.   This was a uni bursary.  Was at least 20 quid for the starter and ten for boosters even then in the eighties.

If i had still even one card I could retire now.

Favourite recollection was someone else on the course, from whitburn Uni.  He was a virgin, even though Whitburn girl in those days were, shall we say affectionate.

He bought a girl in a sauna near the royal college of surgeons with his first pay, and lived on beans next three months.

il Duce McTarkin
15 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

A large proportion disappeared into my mum's purse as digs :verymad:

Aye, I started on £29 a week in 1990, and my mum took a tenner straight off me. By the time I'd bought a weekly bus-pass I'd £14 left to show for my week's work, so it must have been a sixteenth I bought and not the half quarter. 

I couldn’t believe the sense of independence I felt when I got my first wage . I loved it . It helped me buy things I wanted  and felt I had earned by working . Think most of first wage was on a clothes plus a night out , well various night outs with my work colleagues , at places like the Pelican cafe or whatever it was called then , I never looked Back . Money = independence to me. 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

A few posters getting outed as being older than I imagined. 

And some younger ! 

12 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Magic the gathering first edition cards and boosters.   This was a uni bursary.  Was at least 20 quid for the starter and ten for boosters even then in the eighties.

If i had still even one card I could retire now.

Favourite recollection was someone else on the course, from whitburn Uni.  He was a virgin, even though Whitburn girl in those days were, shall we say affectionate.

He bought a girl in a sauna near the royal college of surgeons with his first pay, and lived on beans next three months.

Fabulous story ! 😂

21 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I already had my own house before working so didn’t need to pay digs 

48 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Ferranti Robertson Avenue.  Went straight up to the Royal Bank of Scotland at Shandon and opened an account and paid in my circa £50 wages.  An account I still have now and have my wages paid into.  37 years ago.  

When I spent some money it was probably on Big Country or U2 records and shit sportswear by Lacoste,  Ellesse and Fila.

I’ve been with the same bank for 32 years . 

Dennis Reynolds

First 'proper' pay packet funded a holiday to Oktoberfest. 

First Saturday job pay packet I think went on a pizza hut and blockbuster rental.

51 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Exactly the same as you do now, incredible.

You probably deserve a wee pay rise though.

Konrad von Carstein
51 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Aha, my first wage came from there too, 40 years or so ago...

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I was 16....

Lol I had an unusual route to my first job really . 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Lol I had an unusual route to my first job really . 

Do tell James, apprentice, family?  Maybe you worked as a kid and evolved into it in an early form of intern?

For much of my life i seriously regretted uni and wished i had a trade, tho to be fair degree alone may have helped even though i never applied it.  Would much rather have had an apprentiship.

Most unfavourite story,  Remember royal Navy had an office up Lothian road?  I was sitting the Artificer exam there when my dad arrived to haul me out by the ears,  Think I was 15 - bloody warrant officer called him up to come get me.

Postal Cadet 

The Subway in Rose St - had 5 pints on the Thursday and I remember my Mum taking a fair chunk 

This was 1984 and I think I got about £26

Not wages, but at 16 or 17 I recall beer was 78p a pint in Piggies in Broxburn, though we were cultured and drunk Sapporo or red stripe.

Was cheaper up the road in Broxburn, they had a beer called Light, which my father instructed me never to touch, because it was where all the drip trays went.

I am for the life of me trying to recall how i could afford to drink before my first bursary.

I had a paper round at 3.50 a week, and had summer jobs on the local farm I recall.

I gave my mum fair portion as 'rent' too i recall.  Was a slight bone of contention with more affluent mates you had been at school with who didn't do that.

ColinSmith1255

Doing labouring work for an employment agency. A week off shore, I was living in Aberdeen, earned me six x £10 notes. Each £10 note was a 30 pint drinking voucher so lots of 🍺 

38 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Do tell James, apprentice, family?  Maybe you worked as a kid and evolved into it in an early form of intern?

For much of my life i seriously regretted uni and wished i had a trade, tho to be fair degree alone may have helped even though i never applied it.  Would much rather have had an apprentiship.

Most unfavourite story,  Remember royal Navy had an office up Lothian road?  I was sitting the Artificer exam there when my dad arrived to haul me out by the ears,  Think I was 15 - bloody warrant officer called him up to come get me.

Nothing exciting really to report . 

56 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Sorry I wasn’t trying to be mysterious . 😂

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can't remember but I thought I was loaded with my £14.

I can't remember either, but ...

£9.50 for me. Yes, folks, that was for a 40 hour week.

Mind you, back then the average house price was below £13K.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Ecstasy. 

:sadrobbo:

Good shout. That came early in the second year of my apprenticeship, though.

August 1991, following a 1 - 0 victory over Rangers at Tynecastle. 

5 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

a home game and train fares

Me too, except it was bus fare from Gilmerton.  And a match day program.

First full time wage was £3-17s-6d and that included London Weighting and lowly paid officer's lodging allowance! I bought Out of Time by Chris Farlowe that Friday!

periodictabledancer

Not me, buy a mate of mine in the mid 70s (he was a poor 1st year apprentice then) spent the lot on a pair of Puma King boots (for younger readers , they were probably the most expensive boots you could get back then).

When his mum asked for digs money he showed her the boots and said he was broke. He got a right battering. 

16 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

16 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Paid a tenner digs, a half quarter, 10 Regal kings, packet of Rizla, box of Scottish Bluebell atches, and a bottle of Irn Bru.

YTS wages didn't go far.

And probably she paid out double to you both, all week.

£35 a week a goat working in a factory when I left school, then after the summer I started my apprenticeship, then I think I started paying digs. Christ i was on good money half way through my second year (working weekends, selling slates) I made a fortune and pissed it up a wall, getting Pished.  :(

I should have bought a flat or house.

First salary from BofS in 1972, I bought a genuine Crombie overcoat from Burton's. Cost me £30, most of my first two weeks salary.

My mum kindly let me keep all that first fortnight's money to myself, dig  money kicked in from month 2 onwards.