• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Masonic

• RustyRightPeg

• Naisys Tackle

• JimmyCant

3 minutes ago, Peteg75 said:

The guy is a John Sutton type. Not anywhere near good enough for Hearts. I'll include Moult in that category too.  Humphrys better than both. Probably why we signed him on loan. Rather than bidding for crap Motherwell strikers.. we need better and already have better wouldn't folk agree??

He’s not as bad as John Sutton!!🤔

4 minutes ago, Peteg75 said:

The guy is a John Sutton type. Not anywhere near good enough for Hearts. I'll include Moult in that category too.  Humphrys better than both. Probably why we signed him on loan. Rather than bidding for crap Motherwell strikers.. we need better and already have better wouldn't folk agree??

Yes. Other than his disallowed goal he didn't do much to bother us.

Broxburn Jambo
13 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I've been impressed with him a few times this season, including today.

Worth an offer come January?

No way he is replacing Humphries or Shankland !!!!!!

Bazzas right boot

He was poor first half, buyt 2nd half he was excellent. 

The offside finish.

:ruiner:

he's a good player but at 31 we can probably do better.

Also for 31, he's not played much football. I wonder why.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

21 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

He’s not as bad as John Sutton!!🤔

Judging by his goal scoring record for Motherwell.. one of us is talking pish. And it ain't  me. Ridiculous statement mate.

14 hours ago, Barack said:

Don't mind him. But I'd rather we put an offer in for Humphrys.

100%.  Replacement for Boyce, who's contract is up in the summer IIRC.

Having seen him a few times now he does look a good player. Can't see him ever coming here though, we have better strikers currently and could attract better too IMO

A_A wehatethehibs
23 minutes ago, Barack said:

Boyce will get 18-24mths extension, imho.

Shankland is now number 1. Unequivocally. But Boyce doing that 10 role that he was, before his injury, and providing link up, will further add to the squad and its ability to adapt to certain games. Europe too, with any luck. Him & Snodgrass...mmm.

As for Humphrys. Need an option such as him too, most definitely. He's as or near as dammit, faster than Gino, from what I've seen. And far more physical.

Him playing on the same pitch as Shankland, will allow Shankland to do his job. Even though to be fair to Shankland, his overall play has been very good. Out of necessity. 

Think we'll have another forward signed next year, imo, in addition to Humphrys. Giving us 4 viable options, depending on opposition & circumstance.

Boyce will probably have at least a 1 year extension on the table from Hearts right now, absolutely deserves that, deserves looked after and given the chance to get back to his best with the service he’s given our club. Given himself a severe injury for the Hearts cause. Folk thinking we would just bin an experienced international major contributor like that after a massive injury are clueless, Boyce is a senior well respected member of the squad and important player.

IMO, it’ll be all about whether he will accept that with a more elder statesman support role, or whether he’ll want to go and look to be the main man somewhere again. He may realise more good players will be coming in to Hearts restricting his game time, so may feel it’s a good time to jump ship back to a Ross County for example who I’m sure would take him as would several other teams. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

14 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Can't think of anything noteworthy besides the wonderful offside strike. 

Lots of standing about by the Motherwell players all over park (see Liam Kelly going mental).,There was some good play but guys like Spittal and Van Veen don't do enough. 

Only McKinstry young lad on loan from Leeds who came up in Motherwell youth system showed the right intensity. 

1 hour ago, Peteg75 said:

Judging by his goal scoring record for Motherwell.. one of us is talking pish. And it ain't  me. Ridiculous statement mate.

it’s all about opinions but let’s not be rude to each other. 

I wouldn’t want Van Veen but his scoring record for Motherwell is 1 in 3 games. 

John Sutton was about the same. At Hearts his record was worse. 

2 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

it’s all about opinions but let’s not be rude to each other. 

I wouldn’t want Van Veen but his scoring record for Motherwell is 1 in 3 games. 

John Sutton was about the same. At Hearts his record was worse. 

Correct.. that's why van veen wouldn't be a good fit for us.. Imo 

👍

Not the level we need. Not particularly effective at holding it up. Alex Cochrane won his fair share against him, granted he hit the offside goal well, but not sure he brings the hold up play and threat in behind we need. Bang average player and if we want to kick on in Europe and domestically well below the standard 

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Masonic said:

would sign him and start him then release gino

Why would we release Gino, who has been one of our better players this season? 

1 minute ago, tian447 said:

hes pish anybody who is put upfront would score once in a blue moon like he does

Pasquale for King

Totally got in Marshalls head last week. Not really an upgrade on what we have though, even though we made he and Obeka look like Drogba and Shearer last time we played them. 

4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Is it just me or is it obvious by now that Gino won’t be staying. He’s got to have been offered by now and not signed. Or, less likely, we haven’t offered him

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Masonic said:

hes pish anybody who is put upfront would score once in a blue moon like he does

Been one of our better players this season. We’d be bottom half without his goals 

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, Masonic said:

So full of shit. 

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

So full of shit. 

do u even go to games?

it costs goals every week by limiting shanks look at how many games shanks was played out of position for him!

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Been one of our better players this season. We’d be bottom half without his goals 

sure we would be better off with van veens and this is what my point is

Naisys Tackle
13 minutes ago, Masonic said:

Sorry.  Read wrong.

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

20 goals this season says that is incorrect.

what? gino culdnt score 20 goals in 3 seasons put together! unless u have read the thread wrong?

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Masonic said:

what? gino culdnt score 20 goals in 3 seasons put together! unless u have read the thread wrong?

Yeah I did mate - see above.  I agree about Van Veen.

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

Yeah I did mate - see above.  I agree about Van Veen.

fair play someone who can see 20+ goals is better than 7 and playing shanks out position

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, Masonic said:

fair play someone who can see 20+ goals is better than 7 and playing shanks out position

Totally. 

ShortmanRossco
27 minutes ago, Masonic said:

do u even go to games?

it costs goals every week by limiting shanks look at how many games shanks was played out of position for him!

How does that make Gino shit?

2 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

How does that make Gino shit?

im glad you asked

consistency

wins a throw inn and thinks he is van basten

first touch

finishing

work rate

heading

tackling and interceptions

weak foot is shocking

lack of goals for a striker 7

lack of assists for an attacking player 2

being played out of position as well which doesnt help and costs us goals from shanks 

adaptability switching positions through the game just confuses him

thats just a couple of the top of my head

Italian Lambretta

Van Veen is the type player Neilson would want. Utter pish!

We need to move on from players of that ilk and of course the clown that’s selecting them.

7 minutes ago, Masonic said:

im glad you asked

consistency

wins a throw inn and thinks he is van basten

first touch

finishing

work rate

heading

tackling and interceptions

weak foot is shocking

lack of goals for a striker 7

lack of assists for an attacking player 2

being played out of position as well which doesnt help and costs us goals from shanks 

adaptability switching positions through the game just confuses him

thats just a couple of the top of my head

You don’t think he works hard?  Truly baffled at that. 

48 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

So full of shit. 

If there’s anyone who still runs his lungs out and shows the right energy when things are dipping, it’s Gino.  

Maybe you get fans now that expect the much lauded technical players to be the ones who dig you out, they often don’t in truth.   That’s not to say the players that do get you out a rut don’t have football, they just have more of the basics and see when it’s going pearshaped during a game.

Pretty sure Gino has been converted to play upfront as he came as a wide player.  So, he’s not necessarily natural in that role.  He filled in admirably last season too when we had injuries, found himself out the team again, then was one of the stand outs in the last few league games in the run up to the Final…….undeservedly and unjustifiably found himself out the starting line up as others went on to let us down. 

I think Gino is the last of our worries just now, and as for assists?  How can you expect a player who plays the furthest forward to be at the high end of that aspect?  

Assists also only show if the player on the end tucks it away.  He played a nice ball through to Shanks at Aberdeen who didn’t finish it one on one.  

stirlingshirejambo
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

You don’t think he works hard?  Truly baffled at that. 

He does when he’s in the mood

sadly for me he’s not in the mood often enough. He switches off too easily last week at Killie prime example allowing the goalie to stand with foot on ball for a long time before sauntering back up to make keeper kick out eventually 

surely we must look to upgrade

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Depends where we are aiming but Van Veem would be an upgrade on Gino. In a better team I’d suggest he’d get 25% more goals.

Rick Sanchez

32 this year and the biggest club he's played for is Scunthorpe...

Honestly, some people need to get a better understanding of our standard.

Aim between Brendan Rodgers and David Martindale. And Billy Gilmour and Kevin Van Veen :laugh:

Still disappointed we missed out on Elijah Adebayo tbh.

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

If we want to stand still, or regress, we should definitely go for him...👍 

…..and keep Neilson 👍

RustyRightPeg
4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

If there’s anyone who still runs his lungs out and shows the right energy when things are dipping, it’s Gino.  

Maybe you get fans now that expect the much lauded technical players to be the ones who dig you out, they often don’t in truth.   That’s not to say the players that do get you out a rut don’t have football, they just have more of the basics and see when it’s going pearshaped during a game.

Pretty sure Gino has been converted to play upfront as he came as a wide player.  So, he’s not necessarily natural in that role.  He filled in admirably last season too when we had injuries, found himself out the team again, then was one of the stand outs in the last few league games in the run up to the Final…….undeservedly and unjustifiably found himself out the starting line up as others went on to let us down. 

I think Gino is the last of our worries just now, and as for assists?  How can you expect a player who plays the furthest forward to be at the high end of that aspect?  

Assists also only show if the player on the end tucks it away.  He played a nice ball through to Shanks at Aberdeen who didn’t finish it one on one.  

Agree.

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm team Gino, some of you lot are mental

He was being cast aside in many minds even before Kuol and Oda set foot in Edinburgh.   Two players we hardly knew about.

bigfatskinnyjambo97

Van Veen is a big dosser. Effective but doesn't fit with our identity of playing cutting-edge possession based football 🥶💨

Edited by bigfatskinnyjambo97

I like him, he seems a nasty ******* to play against. He's caused us a lot of problems because at this level he is a very effective striker. 

At his age though and with him being under contract, I don't really see the point in talking about him. He'd be 33 by the time we could realistically look at getting him and I don't think he'd be as good as he is right now. 

Ffs

We have had lots of 'Van Veens' over the years. He is not our answer.

Edited by i8hibsh

Robbo-Jambo
14 hours ago, Masonic said:

Nonsense.

He has scored a lot of important goals.

RustyRightPeg
16 hours ago, Masonic said:

do u even go to games?

I go every week yes. 

Your theory, Gino is shit because the manager plays Shankland out of position. Bizarre. 

Batistuta87

Nahhhhh not this chat again. 

A downgrade on both Shankland and Boyce, too similar to both of them, and probably less useful than Humphrys for what we actually need. If we're not signing Humphrys himself then he needs to be replaced by someone better so we continue improving the standard of the squad. KVV is not that guy. 

I get that I've been going on about needing depth and stuff but even with that in mind I wouldn't want KVV - or anyone else from elsewhere in the league for that matter. Much rather keep Humphrys. 

Done very well at Motherwell and fair play to him for that - but just nah. 

Edited by Batistuta87